All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
Thought this was interesting.....

Steelers won't lose draft pick
Updated: March 20, 2014, 5:03 PM ET
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers won't lose a draft pick for the infamous sideline interference that resulted in a $100,000 fine for coach Mike Tomlin.

More from ESPN.com
The NFL did the right thing by not taking away a draft pick from the Steelers for the Mike Tomlin incident, writes Scott Brown. Story

President Art Rooney II has been informed that Tomlin's fine will be the extent of the NFL's punishment for the seventh-year coach stepping onto the field during a kickoff return at Baltimore last November.

Tomlin's gaffe occurred in the third quarter after a Steelers touchdown had trimmed the Ravens' lead to 13-7. Jacoby Jones broke into the open field during the ensuing kickoff and Tomlin's foot caused a slight change of direction by the Ravens' return man.

The Steelers tackled Jones after a 73-yard return and the Ravens had to settle for a field goal in an eventual 22-20 win.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has said he didn't realize how close he was to the field during Jacoby Jones' kickoff return last season.
The controversial play generated national headlines and raised questions about whether Tomlin had intentionally interfered with Jones.

Tomlin later said he lost track of where he was on the sidelines and that he never meant to step onto the field. He said he also initially underestimated the controversy that his footwork caused.

The NFL, in addition to fining Tomlin, had left open the possibility of docking the Steelers a pick in this year's draft.

The Steelers have six picks in the draft, and they are expected to add a couple of compensatory selections next week.

Compensatory picks will be announced at the NFL owners' meetings in Orlando, Fla., and the Steelers should get multiple picks for the free-agent losses of wide receiver Mike Wallace, cornerback Keenan Lewis and running back Rashard Mendenhall last year.

The Steelers could get as high as a third-round pick, which would come at the end of the round, for losing Wallace. They don't have a third-round pick this year as they traded it during the 2013 draft to the Browns for a fourth-round selection. The Steelers used the pick on safety Shamarko Thomas.

web page

And the next head coach is ......
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has said he didn't realize how close he was to the field during Jacoby Jones' kickoff return last season.
The controversial play generated national headlines and raised questions about whether Tomlin had intentionally interfered with Jones.

Liar.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Legend
Legend
D
Clearly evident too by his post-smile/grin... it was rightful to terminate a draft pick of theirs. And that just isn't the "I hate Pittsburgh" talk. Bonehead move like that deserves more than a 100k fine.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If I was Jones I would've ABSOLUTELY leveled him. And then been like......oops

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

He's a freaking liar. He said he always stands there watching the Jumbo Tron. Well, if he was watching, as everyone could see that he was, then he was watching Jones run up the sideline right towards himself. He could see Jones and he could see himself.

Anyone could see Tomlin try to peek around to his right to judge his "whoops I gotta get out of the way" move so it would be timed for the last minute. Then he walks away with a crap eating grin.

He's a freaking liar. I can't believe anyone was fooled by that.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

He's a freaking liar. He said he always stands there watching the Jumbo Tron. Well, if he was watching, as everyone could see that he was, then he was watching Jones run up the sideline right towards himself. He could see Jones and he could see himself.

Anyone could see Tomlin try to peek around to his right to judge his "whoops I gotta get out of the way" move so it would be timed for the last minute. Then he walks away with a crap eating grin.

He's a freaking liar. I can't believe anyone was fooled by that.

I'd love to see if there are videos of him in the past not doing what he says he always does.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
If I was the commish I would have taken a 6 rounder from them and given it to Baltimore

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What a load of crap.

The video shows Tomlin grinning like the Cheshire cat on the sideline, right after he "accidentally" backed onto the field.

Accident my butt.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Since it is Pittsburgh, I am not surprised by that decision at all ....

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

If I was Jones I would've ABSOLUTELY leveled him. And then been like......oops

Actually if Jones did that the Refs would have had to give him the Touchdown.

Typical NFL bias to the Steelers and Pats continue as they are above the rules.

As I have to endure NFL Networks Patriot week and Steeler week.

He took a step outside...he didn't know where he was? He was looking at the Jumbo tron and saw Jones running right at him and he took a little jitter step further into the field before jumping left to the sidelines.

Oh well glad it wasn't against us. There probably wouldn't have been a fine

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I just remembered this... But there was a big controversy before last season when the Ravens were against the 49ers in the superbowl. I think it was Flacco, was going around the sideline saying to trip up Ginn if he made the return. Kinda weird how that played out against them this season

Legend
Legend
The NFL comish is bias. Yeah everyone knows that. E I E I O.... Dagnabit!

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
We should hire a 350 lb "assistant coach" for 2 games a year.

I hear Richie Incognito is looking for a job!

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Since there is overwhelming evidence, and many of the players (many of whom are no longer alive) have admitted that the steelroid team of the 70's were loaded up on performance enhancing drugs- ie steriods, I wonder if the complete and total NFL, and media blackout on the subject will be reviewed?

Your first Amendent right to free speech has been, and apparently always will be, restricted when discussing the biologically rage induced "champions" of yesteryear.

We can drag anybody else through the mud just by implying they may have been roided up. But, there is one football team that despite overwhelming evidence and self admittance they will not be held in anyway accountable for what they did. Heck, we can't even talk about it.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
As far as the Steeler talk about the Steroid Teams, if people wont admit that Bonds is the Homerun Champion, then yeah...the Steelers should also have an asteric. Ive always felt that the Steelers were beneficial of the refs and the league because of the Steelers being so important to the economy. Boy are they bandwagoners. Any time the Steelers have a bad record, I swear to God that I hear them say "I dont follow football this year." and thats many that say that. A lot of them fans are the same ones that say "I dont know much about the players, I just enjoy watching them win." after I try to talk football with them. They also pass over watching Steeler games and rag on Browns fans watching their teams at the bar, but that mostly Ohio Steeler fans.

As far as the Tomlin penelty, not going to kill him, but to take as much as they did probably made him regret it. Trying to talk in his hard demeaner voice, lying thru his teeth, that he didnt do it on purpose. I think he should have been suspended one game.

I dont think anyone is fooled by Tomlins lies. I would say that 97% of the people that saw that, believe it was on purpose. And the other 3% are blind Steeler fans and his momma. Shame on the ref that ran around him and not throw a penalty flag.

Legend
Legend
Glad it wasn't us, but it would not have surprised me. So the precedent is set, why not budget some cap bux for game-saving sideline interference errors? Teams could resort to the Tomlin Technique to salvage close games. Keep it close into the fourth quarter and CHEAT! Isn't a big NFL win worth one or two thou on your worst day? Wish it didn't sound so logical.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Come on if we did it even with the precedent - the word would be - we don't want this to become an epidemic so we have to make an example of the Browns. They will suspend our HC and the fine would be 500k and we would lose our 2nd round pick. precedent...pfft guarantee you they would stick it to the Browns!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Steelers won't lose draft pick -- Due to Tomlins gaffe

Link Copied to Clipboard