#866066 03/21/14 09:21 PM
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Mark Sanchez has been cut by the Jets:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/03/21/jets-cut-mark-sanchez-sign-michael-vick/

Story says in part:

<<<<<
Meanwhile, Sanchez won’t get the same opportunity. He was cut by the team nearly five years after New York traded up to draft him No.5 overall.

He would have been due a $2 million roster bonus on Tuesday.

“I’d like to thank Mark for everything he’s done for this team and me personally,” Jets coach Rex Ryan said. “We were rookies together and had some early success, becoming the first rookie head coach and quarterback to go to back-to-back championship games. We experienced a lot together and I really appreciate Mark. He’s a great player, a great teammate, and I wish him nothing but the best.”

Sanchez’s time with the Jets started with a flourish and promise, but ended with angst.

The former No. 5 overall selection out of USC made some plays, but mostly managed the Jets’ run-oriented offense during the club’s run to successive AFC championship games in 2009 and 2010.

Everyone kept waiting for Sanchez to take the next step, but it never really happened. During the 2011 and 2012 seasons Sanchez threw for a combined 6,357 yards, but just 39 touchdowns and never completed more than 57 percent of his passes. Sanchez’s biggest problem, however, was turnovers. He committed a whopping 52 during those seasons, including 36 interceptions.

During his five seasons with the Jets, Sanchez threw for 12,092 yards and 68 TDs, but turned the ball over 89 times. His poor play was often at the center of controversy as the Jets became a circus of sorts following their first two successful seasons under Ryan. In fairness, however, Sanchez always handled himself with class, even when the Jets failed to make the playoffs.

>>>>>

Perhaps as good as Hoyer??

Bring him in to compete, at least for back-up, or no??

D
Legend
Legend
D
Maybe... and that's a very iffy maybe. Wouldn't give him much above league minimum but that's just me... he's a Greg Little of the QB position in terms of ups and downs...

Prefer Grossman still and can't believe we haven't signed him yet either... especially after the Schaub and Raider trade.

Legend
Legend

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
One word for this: Buttfumble

Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Quote:

Yeah, they did say he'd had more than his share of turnovers.

But as a 1 - 2 game backup, he might be able to behave, and score more points than he costs?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, they did say he'd had more than his share of turnovers.

But as a 1 - 2 game backup, he might be able to behave, and score more points than he costs?

Maybe. As a 1 or 2 game spot starter, Tanney could probably get that for you.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I watch All Bets are off, and if I understood Bruce correctly, this guy is going to cost any team he goes to 13M off the cap this year.

As a back up? Just say no Farmer, just say NO!

Hears to hoping Dorsey is the Browns Ozzie Newsome.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

I watch All Bets are off, and if I understood Bruce correctly, this guy is going to cost any team he goes to 13M off the cap this year.

He was released. He would cost a team what the team offers him.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Bruce is an idiot so you should take anything he says with a salt mine of salt.

The Jets are cutting Sanchez a check for $4.8 million (his remaining signing bonus) and that is all.

Specifics of the deal from ESPN in 2012

Sanchez has already been paid every dime of his guaranteed money, including the $4.8 million that the Jets just paid him to go away.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Sanchez is not a starting quality QB. However, he is a decent backup with game experience. I wouldn't mind him in that role.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hoyer, Grossman ( if decided) and a draft pick will suit me fine.

I've got zero to qualify this but I just think AJ McCarron could become a solid pro. He's a guy who needs to hold a clipboard for a spell but I think he's intelligent and might develop.

I did say "could" and "might" not WILL...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am assuming that most of you do not know much about Grossman????

The guy stinks. The only thing he has going for him is that he played for Shanny.

I'm telling you.................you won't like him once you see him play.

Seriously, you thought Campbell was bad? LOL............it ain't even close.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't recall anyone saying he was the panacea to our QB woes...

If the second coming of Unitas is out there in free agency you can point him out any time.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You are misunderstanding me. I am not talking about him as a starter or even a second stringer. I am talking about him as our 3rd stringer. He is way, way below Campbell.

Is that more clear?

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I'd actually love to bring both Grossman and Sanchez in. Grossman likely won't have a job unless we pay him so why not bring him in as a camp arm and knowledge of the playbook? I'm not a Sanchez fan at all but I'm still not sold on Hoyer and I'm not convinced were taking anyone of value at QB in May. It never hurts to have depth at Qb and he played better than we've ever had long term when he had an average to above OL and weapons. We have that. The Jets haven't for 2 years. Even if we invest in the OL and another weapon if he could be average we would see a good win increase. If we don't take a QB high I'd much rather have Hoyer and Sanchez then Hoyer and Grossman.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Apparently he's familiar with the O we'll run. If he's nothing more than a teacher in cleats for Hoyer and especially a young draftee I'd be OK with him in here.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Our third string QB has received playing time almost every year.

I'll take a guy who can play over a guy who is a teacher in cleats...........and that is assuming Grossman is a good teacher. Do you have a link that says he was very helpful in educating RGIII?

I am not trying to be a smart alec, but I'm telling you, that some of you are really overestimating what type of QB Grossman is.

Legend
Legend
I hated him coming out of USC (as a QB option for us, that is) loved when Mangini traded the 5th overall pick away, and am happy we got Mack instead of him even just as a one for one trade.

I see very little about Matt Sanchez that would make me even want to offer him the minimum. I certainly don't see him as a fit in the WCO, which requires timing and accuracy ...... 2 traits he doesn't exactly have a surplus of.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
The WCO comment was pretty good.

But, he is still way better than Rex.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Perhaps, but I don't want to consider the lesser of 2 crappy QBs.

That said ..... if I have to, I would probably take Grossman, because he knows the offense. Sanchez impresses me less than almost any QB I can think of. We just got rid of Brandon Weeden because he was inaccurate, couldn't read a defense, and had poor timing ...... and I see no reason to bring in the same kind of player to replace him.

Swapping Sanchez for Weeden is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. If we wanted Weeden, we might as well have kept him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Quote:

I've got zero to qualify this but I just think AJ McCarron could become a solid pro. He's a guy who needs to hold a clipboard for a spell but I think he's intelligent and might develop.

I have that same feeling and don't why. Kind of like Brady being ignored in the draft.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I also never like Sanchez coming out of USC. Especially as the 5th pick. He did better then I expected at first but eventually became what I thought he would be. I dont see teams taking a shot at him to be a clear cut starter. I also see Sanchez going to the team that pays him the most. Some thoughts of teams that may not have interest but to just name a few I have thoughts about him going:

NE- I can see Belicheck bring him in ASAP like he did Tim Tebow. Especially if he can get him to sign a Tim Tebow like contract to wear they can just cut him after a little to no signing bonus. But I see Sanchez getting better offers. Belicheck is know to sign or pay people to pick their brains. I remember him signing a guy like Frank Stams the week we played his old team. I also thought Belicheck would bring in Lombardi to pick his brain, as soon as I heard Lombardi got fired so close to the draft. Belicheck usually only carries 2 QBs all season but for the right price, there is no way Belicheck passes up an oppurtunity to pick Marks brain all preseason.

Buff.-Weak at QB; division rival. Could easily beat out Thad Lewis but maybe not.

T.B.- Could use some experiance

Indy- Hasselbeck didnt look good as a backup. Sanchez might rather extend his career as a backup on a good team where he could be comfortable on the sideline. Hes had success so a good team might think he can flourish with a good team around him.

Sea- They bring in other teams veteran castoffs (Quinn, Winslow, Braylen, TO) if anything to catch lightning in a bottle or for competition. Sanchez has had success in a run orientated offense, a good defense, and would have better WRs then he had the last few years in NY. Obviously in a backup role.

Minn.- Rotating QB carosel last year. Run orientated offense. Sanchez needs a good running game more then he needs targets to throw to.

Cle.- Only on the cheap and only after the Browns draft. Thats if the Browns dont sign a QB in the first 5 rounds. I dont want Sanchez, who is turnover prone, to be a backup who would tuteledge a young QB who would need groomed on the sideline while Hoyer is starting. Pettine was on the Jets while Sanchez had more success, so he would know a hell of a lot more than me on that issue. Would not be a priority for me, just a last second offer to have some kind of veteran depth. Would rather have Campbell, maybe even would be more excited to bring in Tebow.

Those are just a few teams that came to my head that might look at him. Im sure for the right price he will be a backup. If he really wants to start, which they all say, and not just hold a clipboard. It would be a crapshoot to know which team to go to and wait for the starter to get hurt. I really dont want anything to do with him unless Hoyer gets hurt and to bring him in to back up a rookie. I know jack about Tanney. But I dont believe Sanchez will be available for that to happen. He will be picked up before Hoyer has a chance to get hurt in practice, unless Sanchez himself chose that his best chance to go to the right team during the season after injury. I doubt he chooses to go that route. Players rarely do that, especially in football.

Any differant opinions on teams I stated or thoughts on any other teams that would sign him off the top of your head?

C
Legend
Legend
C
The Rams seem like a pretty good spot for Sanchez.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I have that same feeling and don't why. Kind of like Brady being ignored in the draft.

If the team doesn't draft a QB early McCarron in round 3 would be my choice.

Legend
Legend
You say that Sanchez has had success on a good team ..... and I suppose technically that's right ....... but it would be more honest to say that he had success on a team that completely devalued the QB spot.

The Jets were 9-7 the year before Sanchez was drafted. They went 9-7 in his 1st season.

In 2009, Sanchez's 1st season, the Jets defense allowed a total of 236 points. That was 1st in the NFL. They ran for over 2700 yards, and 21 rushing TDs. They put no pressure at all on the QB. Sanchez completed 53% of his passes with 12 TD and 20 INT.

In 2010, the jets slipped in defense, but were still 6th in scoring defense, allowing 304 points for the year. They ran for almost 2400 yards, and 14 TD. Sanchez completed 54% of his passes, with 17 TD and 13 INT. He was Weeden before Weeden, but had a far, far superior supporing cast that could prop up an ineffective QB.

In 2011, the Jets defense slipped to 20th in points allowed. They slipped in rushing to 1600 yards, but still ran for 14 scores. Sanchez completed 57% of his passesm and threw 26 TD and 18 INT. Maybe there's hope?

In 2012, the Jets defense stayed at 20th in scoring. They still maintained a strong run game, with 1900 yard and 12 rushing TD.Sanchez showed his improvement with 53% passing, 13 TD and 18 INT.

He has been a pretty bad QB no matter when he played. He has always had a strong rushing attack. Watching him play, he has done the Weeden bit where he just throws a ball up for grabs, really not sure where it's going. He was Weeden before Weeden was.He made boneheaded throws and decisions. The difference between him and Weeden is that he had great to solid defenses, and a great to very good rush attack to support him. It didn't matter. He still never developed, and displayed no touch, and poor decisions making ability.

He might be a backup somewhere, but I have a hard time seeing any team offering him any more than that, given his abysmal body of work thus far. In an offense that emphasizes accuracy and timing, such as a WCO type offense. I see no chance for him.

One guy you mentioned is a guy I wish we still had .... and that's Thad lewis. He fits the WCO well, and is a solid backup type.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
When Banner and Lombardi brought in their guys, I was disappointed that they cut Lewis without giving him a chance at all in camp and knowing very little about Hoyer. They were lucky going into training camp with only 3 arms to give those guys the reps to learn the new offense and 2 guys to know their new teammates. They did have to use all 3 and it also nipped them in the butt because they were very close to needing to start a 4th QB last year. I sometimes hear about a 4th arm in camp to rest the others.

The days of finding Don Strock and Strock around the clock tonight are over. Finding a street QB during a playoff run was fun though, Ill have to admit.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

NE- I can see Belicheck bring him in

I absolutely see this a a BB play. Pick up Sanchez to be Brady's backup then trade Mallet to Houston for their 3rd round pick.

Houston gets their starting Qb via trade then drafts Clowney. Houston can say we only spent a 3rd to get him but the pick is so high in the round NE feels like it got a 2nd. Everyone goes home happy.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Sanchez coming here would be for the starting job. He is not a Weeden.

This might nix the Raider deal regarding Schaub. Sanchez is a much better QB for their needs than Schaub. Sanchez had like 3 different offenses. Brought his team to the AFC Championship games.
I think further than anything Schaub ever did. Hit some tight windows - had no real weapons while Schaub was on a team that was the most successful RUNNING TEAM. He had an amazing WR in Andre Johnson. Sanchez is not a bad QB option at all for a team who needs a QB.

If we didn't have Hoyer and our options were Weeden, Campbell and expected rookie...I would be begging for us to get Sanchez as the Bridge QB and release one or both of those guys.

But we do have Hoyer.

jmho - I would not be surprised to see him go to the Raiders.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Does anyone else remember when we traded that 5th pick to the Jets and the FO got beat on for not staying put to grab Sanchez?

I can't remember who beat on the FO from here, but I remember it happening.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
and moved down a second time while Tampa spent the pick on Josh Freeman.

Both those qb's have been cut and we kinda/sorta still have Mack.

#GMSTRONG
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Agree! I am not sure what the love affair is for Rex. He signs with a team and plays a year. If you don't believe, watch a few games he played with the bears.

Sanchez never had adequate receivers and running backs at the same time. He played a lot better when he had a decent running back.

I would not say it be terrible having Hoyer, Sanchez, and a rookie.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't know if people had so much a problem with trading down and taking Mack as they did with what we did with the 2nd round picks that year (Massaquoi, Veikune, Robiskie). It was a suckfest of epic proportion.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

and moved down a second time while Tampa spent the pick on Josh Freeman.

Both those qb's have been cut and we kinda/sorta still have Mack.

And Mack turned out to be a better player than either of them. Although, I have to admit, for a minute there, it looked as if we messed up not grabbing Sanchez...

A couple of playoff appearances would have given us a different outlook. Not that we'd have "for sure" made it if we had Sanchez....

Wasn't there some issues with Sanchez.. I mean as a teammate or was it someone else. (that's how much attention I pay to the Jets)

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
No.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
I would say "no,no,no " to Sanchez, except to everybody saying we have Hoyer....remember his is coming off a pretty bad injury. he may not be 100% for quite some time.

I was hoping for Schaub on the cheap. to hold the fort till the rookie was ready. If Hoyer was healthy, I would be ok with him and two rookies. But I don't know they way it stands now.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

For those saying no to Sanchez, I'm curious to know what you think is a better option. Farmer, I am assuming, can get Mark on the cheap to play backup to Hoyer. We are not certain how well Hoyer can play healthy or not. Both Hoyer and Sanchez, assuming Browns sign him, in theory, are stop gaps for the rookie.

Sanchez proved he is not someone you want as your franchise QB. We are talking backup. Sanchez has shown he can get your team to the playoffs. What more do you want in a backup?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

You are misunderstanding me. I am not talking about him as a starter or even a second stringer. I am talking about him as our 3rd stringer. He is way, way below Campbell.

Is that more clear?

That's pretty darn low! lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd consider Sanchez should he come cheap.
Get a guy out of the pressure cooker that is NY and away from the circus of Rex Ryan and you MIGHT have a new guy!

Please don't even discount that sports in NY is a world different than Cleveland.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'd consider Sanchez ...

So we could end up having both Sanchez and Mack? Talk about having your cake and eating it too...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'd consider Sanchez ...

So we could end up having both Sanchez and Mack? Talk about having your cake and eating it too...

That would be like having the best chocolate cake in the world, and frosting it with dog crap.

Enjoy! I'll pass though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mark Sanchez available

Link Copied to Clipboard