Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Legend
Legend
V
We released Campbell. JC > Sexy Rexy.

We don't know if Hoyer is good or not.

We don't know if the rookie will be ready to play.

Not sure why so many people are okay w/this?

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

This is exactly why I was hoping to get Schaub.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm certainly not approving Grossman, but it's a pretty normal progression. So if this FO is wrong to do it, so have a great number of others.

Many times we've seen, not only here, but around the league, how new coaching staffs bring in QB's that know their system to help with the transition to their schemes.

And I would have to agree that once you get to your 3rd QB on the depth chart, you're toast anyway. It's not like your 3rd string QB is going to save you.

I never really cared for the idea of bringing such a QB in that provided little on the field before. I will say with the new bargaining agreement, coaches allotted time working with players has changed my thinking about that somewhat.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

The problem with that is, unless it's your plan to start Shaub and let Hoyer and the rookie play behind him, you don't pay 10+ mil. for a back up QB.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The problem with that is, unless it's your plan to start Shaub and let Hoyer and the rookie play behind him, you don't pay 10+ mil. for a back up QB.

I think Schaub would have beat Hoyer out in a true competition. I look at last season for him as an anomaly at this point until proven otherwise.

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
Quote:

vers, you and I typically agree, but we're in different camps on this issue.

I do not think that jc > sexy rexy.

Campbell plays just well enough to lose and that has been his MO during his NFL career.

Grossman knows Shanahan's system and has taken a team to the SB.

Neither player is a starter; I think we do agree on that.

Here's hoping that Hoyer is the MAN in 2014!

here's to you here's to me, browns fans we'll always be. but if by chance we should disagree, to heck with you and here's to me!
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
j/c

Didn't Shaub have a 10 mil cap hit?

GO BROWNS!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I never really cared for the idea of bringing such a QB in that provided little on the field before. I will say with the new bargaining agreement, coaches allotted time working with players has changed my thinking about that somewhat.

A good point that I had not considered, but I do recall catching some flak when I criticized Seneca Wallace for refusing to help Colt McCoy's developement. Back then, people said "players play, coaches coach.".

M
Legend
Legend
M
jc:

Jason Campbell sucks a starter and #2 option.
Rex Grossman sucks as a starter and #2 option.

The difference is we won't pay the latter $3M to suck and be a #2QB in 2014...and oddly enough we paid close to that for Campbell to the #3QB after Hoyer leap frogged him. If Grossman becomes the #2QB then we have some problems. I don't think that is the plan.

Moving on......

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

jc:

Jason Campbell sucks a starter and #2 option.
Rex Grossman sucks as a starter and #2 option.

The difference is we won't pay the latter $3M to suck and be a #2QB in 2014...

Pretty much how I see the matter...

+ 1

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I am not so sure I want to push Hoyer this year. Let the drafted rookie do that next year.

I want the best player to be the QB of the Browns. It'll be great if that's Hoyer. If it's a drafted player, that's fantastic! But I want them all to be working hard to be the starter. I don't want ANY of them to be thinking that they're just here in case something happens to one of their teammates. I want them to strive, every week, to get that brass ring and whoever has it to fight off all comers to keep it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We actually agree on something!

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I don't know how to say this without it coming out arrogant or condescending...if you knew me you wouldn't think it - but its when you say something like that I come away with the notion that you just don't understand what goes on and how every good team functions and what Leadership is all about. Especially in our case of starting a new system.

NEED...do we NEED a Grossman - no I don't think we "NEED" him but if we did sign him. I understand why and it only can benefit us. But If you run an Out pattern in every system there is a different timing issue. Grossman can speed up the process of figuring that out. He can walk over to the WR and give him a pointer on getting it right in this system. It is what you expect from 10 year veterans. Sometimes you just look at a guy who in all probabilities will be the #3 QB and view him in terms of being the starter.

IF WE OR ANY TEAM IN THE NFL is down to their #3 QB to RELY ON to get into and deep Post Season play...FORGEDABOUT IT!!! you are done. I don't care what our history is... If we lose #1 and then the rookie who would jump to #2 and we are down to our #3 and the kid we pull from Practice Squad...We are done like any team in the NFL IS!!!

jmho and the reality of it all. That is when we can know that we are a good team and have some continuity...is rely on #1 to start most the games and maybe a temp game here n there from the #2.

I can only give a deserving response to what you wrote. I do it with all sincerity.

Whatever.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Our third string QB almost always sees the field.

Just because it has happened in the past doesn't mean it should continue going forward.

What are you saying? That the odds of it NOT happening are now in our favor?

I'm sorry, but I think most of the people liking the Sexy Rexy move are people who never really followed his career.

Furthermore, I believe that him knowing Shanny's system is nice, but him being an inferior qb to JC is more important.

Inferior to JC What team did JC help go to a SB?

Grossman fits in here better then any other veteran QB available. People that dislike this move never really followed Rex's career and are probably only looking at stats, not the actual games.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
D
Legend
Legend
D
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._special-report

Hey Mary Kay: Will the Browns sign quarterback Rex Grossman now that Matt Schaub has been traded to the Raiders?

-- Steve C., Cleveland, Ohio

Hey Steve: Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan coached Grossman in Houston and Washington, and likes him, but no visit is currently planned. I think the Browns were disappointed that the Raiders traded for Schaub (for a sixth-round pick). I believe they would've signed him -- or tried -- had he been released. Schaub has a $10 million base salary for 2014, so they probably didn't believe a trade would happen.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I am saying that if you are planning for your third string QB to play, then you have the wrong mindset.

Campbell is definitely better than Grossman. Grossman is also much cheaper.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I am saying that if you are planning for your third string QB to play, then you have the wrong mindset.

I agree. If you gameplan for them to play, you are a loser coach. You gameplan for them to help the team....and a good coach knows a good teammate doesn't always help on the field. He helps elsewhere.

Just saying

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
So, is (gulp) Mark Sanchez plan B to Grossman?

O
Legend
Legend
O
If they can't out play Campbell, I'd pass.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. If you gameplan for them to play, you are a loser coach. You gameplan for them to help the team....and a good coach knows a good teammate doesn't always help on the field. He helps elsewhere.

Just saying

No offense to either of you, even though it may sound offensive.

But, I think it is stupid to not have the best players you can on your team. I really see no reason to downgrade the talent just because you hope that guy will never see the field.

In fact, that sounds so incredibly ignorant, that I can't believe it is even an argument.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Grossman is worse than Campbell. He is also much cheaper.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, he is.

So, are you saying that is why we should have cut JC and why we should sign Sexy Rexy?

Look man, I'm telling you..............I followed this guy's career and you aren't going to like this guy once you see him play. Did you see that spoof that one poster posted on page 1? That is Sexy Rexy. He doesn't take care of the ball. He is a turnover machine.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I know exactly how bad he is. He is a third string QB. If he was any good he wouldn't be a third string QB.

Hopefully he wouldn't have to play.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It keeps coming back to that. Sorry, but that is a poor argument. JC is a better qb than him.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It shows the sorry state of our team that that is a poor argument to you.

Most third string QBs never have to see the field and don't even dress on game day.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay, I am glad you are good w/the move.

We'll see how you feel about it in November. Of course, you will never remember this debate, right?

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

We'll see how you feel about it in November. Of course, you will never remember this debate, right?

No, I'm not picking on you. Well, maybe. lol.

Pit nailed it with the CBA. More panzy-ass protection of players and time alotted for practices.

It's NOT common for teams to get down to their 3rd string QB playing any significant time.

WE did it because Weeden BLOWS, Hoyer don't have a clue how to slide, and Campbell was forced upon us because of 1 and 2.

Grossman is PERFECT for this team for 1 or 2 years. And with Bridgewater and Hoyer in the fold, we won't ever see Grossman on any field.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I can only give a deserving response to what you wrote. I do it with all sincerity.

I know you do and thank you - just didn't know how to respond without offending as it was not my purpose. apologies.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Couple of thoughts.

1 - I think that you put the players on your team that make your team the best. Thay may not necessarily be the most talented player.

Player A average/slightly below average talent
Player B slightly below
Player A late for meeting and practices then doesn't pay attention and is disruptive.
Player B hard working, leads by example, inspires others to work harder. Makes others better.

(Typing this out I realized that a great example of Player B is Giambi with the Tribe)

Now if Player A has superstar talent then you end up keeping player A. But if the talent is close you keep player B.

2 - This concept plays into the draft with a guy like Khalil Mack.

Very talented player, improves your team. But would someone else make the team better than he would because of our depth at OLB? If talent is close to the same then a Qb, Wr, olineman might make the team better than Mack would. However, if you think that Mack has superstar talent that far exceeds the others then you take Mack. You don't pass up a transcendent player because you have depth at that position. (I am not saying Mack is a transcendent player but if the FO thinks that he could be then you take him regardless of Mingo, Kruger and Sheard).

3 - JC vs Rex

You can argue that JC is better talent wise. In my opinion they are very close and I can see people arguing that Rex is better. Let's say JC is better. He isn't that much better. We aren't talking Drew Brees vs Rex Grossman here. It's Jason Freakin' Campbell.

If we can get Grossman for less money (allows of to use that on other players - even if not this year) and he can make the locker room better and help Hoyer and the other Qb's learn the playbook faster and become more proficient at it...why the heck would you want JC?

4 - Vers - I will give you that the argument that he won't play is a bogus one. And we may not be able to win many games with Grossman playing. But we also aren't going to win games with JC at QB either. Fact of the matter is, with the economics of the NFL today, you cannot afford to keep a 3rd string Qb that you know you can win with. Would I like to have Peyton Manning as my starting Qb, Drew Brees as the #2 and Aaron Rodgers as our #3 Qb? Heck yea. But you cannot afford to keep 3 starter quality Qb's because of salary cap issues.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
If Grossman is added he will be no more than a Quarterbacks coach and Offensive Quality Control coach.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
J/c...

Why would we want a terrible QB teaching Hoyer and rookie anything? What's he going to teach them... How to be horrible?

All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Quote:

J/c...

Why would we want a terrible QB teaching Hoyer and rookie anything? What's he going to teach them... How to be horrible?

I only meant he is very familiar with Shanahan's offense and would be helpful with implementation. Skill wise, I agree he is not the best, but "experience" wise he could offer some coaching.

GO BROWNS!
E
Legend
Legend
E
hehehe...those who can't teach...lol

I won't debate the JC vs Grossman thing cause it ain't worth it. We will not win with either at our starting QB. Most teams will not win with their #3 QB unless its a youngster nobody knows about and they become a big surprise...but in most cases those end up being a mirage. I can think of many in that realm I just don't remember their names...why do I see a Dallas star on their helmet in several???

Oh and Campbell was here and started how many games? He was 1-8 or something like that. So if Grossman is worse its like meaningless to the case cause we are talking one win in the balance here.

So its about what you want from your #3 - quality starts. I really don't see much of a difference in the quality part. But we are putting in a new system if it helps and that is important. You got a former 1st round talent who knows the system. That is on the cheap.

Now I come to two other issues and I'm pretty much done.

1. Have we signed Grossman? A lot of talk about a guy who we didn't sign or did I miss something. If we did not sign him by now I am curious if we ever will - so this discussion would have been for naught although still interesting.

2. Its takes two to tango. A lot of the names that were mentioned in the Grossman stead...forget about JC we released him and well good luck but I'm not disappointed at all. Sanchez...he will come here only to be the #1...not to mentor, not to be the 2nd guy to Hoyer. He will want the majority of the #1 reps from day one. Or he won't come here. On top of that he will want a Starting QB contract.

Now if that is what we would want him for - to be our starter and Hoyer our Backup and the mid-round developmental rookie to fight it out with Tanney for the #3 spot or practice squad. Ok then it would make sense. I think we have a plan in place. Hoyer is the starter although in pencil - he is king of the hill so to speak.

I am certain we have a guy we want and will try to get him. I don't think its Bridgewater only cause of the 1st overall pick ramifications and the cost to move up to get him - not cause we don't evaluate him high but because we can 99% assume we don't have a shot at him at #4 with 2 teams needing him ahead of us.

Grossman does make sense. He has been around, he knows the ins and outs of the offense. I think he can bring the transition in here at a more rapid pace - Hoyer is smart he will learn a lot and absorb a lot from Grossman so soon we will have two helping all out into the transition.

If not Grossman then I think we might go with youth. Put our Eggs in the Hoyer basket for at least a year. I just wish while Hoyer was out there we had a QB sitting next to the invested rook going over decision and reads.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I don't believe it has anything to do with Rex Grossman and Jason Campbell.

I think it has everything to do with Rex Grossman and Brandon Weeden.

Wasn't Weeden our third string QB at the end of last season?

#gmstrong
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
I would rather have Grossman than Weeden... Grossman knows the system we are trying to implement and can give pointers to the guys and explain how the system normally works. I don't see it being a problem.

D
Legend
Legend
D
+ 1

If Grossman is brought in, I don't think it'll be under the intentions of anything but a mentor that has familiarity with the system and as an extreme/desperate last resort as depth. Some people are making out the potential signing to be like he'll come in here and compete for the starter role.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I want no part of him. My brother is a Bears fan and had to suffer through the Grossman era. I know what's headed our way if the Browns sign him. His tiny midget hands that can't hold onto the ball and turnover city. I don't care if he knows the system, I want no part of his horridness.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I just want those tiny midget hands to hold onto a Clipboard

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

If Grossman is added he will be no more than a Quarterbacks coach and Offensive Quality Control coach.

No, he will be a player coach. Big difference.

Face it, if you are down to playing your 3rd QB, you are going to lose maybe 90% of those games. Just the way it is, so with that in mind, I'd rather that guy be the type of player who can make the starter better.

Some of you guys make it sound like we will be the only team to suck if the starter goes down.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

No, I'm not picking on you. Well, maybe. lol.

Pit nailed it with the CBA. More panzy-ass protection of players and time alotted for practices.

It's NOT common for teams to get down to their 3rd string QB playing any significant time.

WE did it because Weeden BLOWS, Hoyer don't have a clue how to slide, and Campbell was forced upon us because of 1 and 2.

Grossman is PERFECT for this team for 1 or 2 years. And with Bridgewater and Hoyer in the fold, we won't ever see Grossman on any field.

Where did you get the notion that I thought you were picking on me?

That's pretty weird, man. Hmmmm...........it is also revealing. LOL

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns and Rex Grossman

Link Copied to Clipboard