#866355 03/22/14 12:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Other Teddy thread closed.

'Teddy Bridgewater didn't show his glove any love on his Pro Day, and says he won't let that happen again'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/teddy_bridgewater_didnt_show_t.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
on March 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM, updated March 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Teddy Bridgewater realizes now that he shouldn't have shown his hand Monday at his Pro Day.

Literally.

The quarterback shed his trademark glove -- one that helped him win 30 games at Louisville including a school-record 12 last year -- for the showcase in front of 29 NFL teams Monday at Louisville and it proved to be a colossal mistake.

Like Samson without his hair, Bridgewater just wasn't the same without his glove. He completed only 57 of 65 attempts, including two drops. His Pro Day was ripped from coast to coast by analysts such as NFL Network's Mike Mayock, who dubbed it "average at best'' with a "lot of inaccuracy.''

With a bare hand, he wasn't the same quarterback who finished second in the NCAA in 2013 with a 71 percent completion percentage and set a school-record with a career mark of 68.3 percent.

“From this day forward, I’m going to do what got me here, and that’s wearing a glove,'' he said on NFL Network on Friday. "I was able to learn that from the Pro Day, to continue to do what you’re comfortable doing, continue to do what got you in this situation in the first place. I’ve been wearing gloves the past three years, so I’ll get back into the glove business.”

So why did he pick that all-important day to let his digits roam free?

“I was training down in Florida,'' he said. "It was 80-degree weather, sunny outside, so I was letting the ball spin without the glove and I just felt confident going into the Pro Day. I trust my training, I’m always confident in my training, so going into competition I trust preparation. So I went back to Louisville and the weather changed, it was a little cold outside, the ball gets a little rough and I still decided to go without the glove.”

Browns general manager Ray Farmer, who is deciding how to spend his No. 4 overall pick, attended Bridgewater's Pro Day and will conduct a private workout with him, too. What's more, Bridgewater knows what he has put on film and isn't concerned about the bad reviews he received Monday.

"I just pay no attention to it,'' he told NFL Network. "Keep my head down, stay focused on what I have to work on. If something is being said in a negative way about me, I use it as growth, I learn from it. If it’s something being said positive about me, I still can learn from it. I’m just on a mission to be the best player that I can be, so I keep my head down and just keep moving forward.”

He still has no regrets about not throwing at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last month.

“I’m still confident.'' he said. "I feel that we made that decision and it was a smart decision knowing that going into Pro Day I would be able to throw to some of my guys that I was able to throw at the University of Louisville. Coming out of both the combine and Pro Day, I’m still confident and I’m still happy that I made that decision.”

Bridgewater's shaky Pro Day was compared unfavorably to that of that of Central Florida's Blake Bortles on Wednesday, but it didn't faze him.

"I’m in a competition with no one but myself, because I’m trying to be the best person and the best player that I can be,'' he said. "I pay no attention to those guys. I’m happy for those guys that they’re competing and they’re playing at high levels also, but I’m in competition with myself, and I feel that in order to be the best player that I can be, I have to compete with myself from within.”

He still feels he's worthy of going No. 1 overall to the Texans.

"The biggest reason I feel is I’m a servant leader,'' he said. "I’m someone who wants to make everyone else around me better people, better players with nothing in return. I’m not looking for any recognition or anything like that; I’m a team player, someone that’s willing to go the extra mile, willing to come in early and go the opposite way. Not go in that locker room and try to win guys over, but win guys over by going in that film room and that offensive room and learning the playbook right away; breaking down film, showing the guys that I understand what’s going on.

"Once guys see that you know your job, you know what you’re supposed to do, you’re responsible, then they’ll begin to trust you more. I feel that I have that capability. From a playing side, I feel that I’m an accurate passer, I’m smart with the football, I’m a winner. The past three years I was able to win I believe 30 games, and I’ve made progress each year. Each year I’m just on a mission to become better and better.”

Glove or no glove, he plans to make his mark on the NFL.

"Basically I grew up watching Donovan McNabb, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and those guys,'' he said. "But I told myself that I want to be something that the NFL has yet to see.

"I want to be a guy that can run like Michael Vick, (be) accurate with the football like Drew Brees, (be a) decisive decision-maker like Peyton Manning, someone who is a winner like Tom Brady, a competitor like Tom Brady, and then someone who has the big arm like Aaron Rodgers. The list goes on and on, but I just want to continue to just apply what those guys do in their games to my game.”

(end)

#866356 03/22/14 01:05 PM
Legend
Legend
i think if he makes it to 4, it would be a horrible mistake to pass on him.

he won't make it to us at 26 either, because there are teams behind us who need a QB as well.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
If we land Bridgewater, we will finally have a real QB. One that understands the game, can make the transition and be a franchise QB. There's never a guarantee with a QB. But the tools, ability and smarts are there for him to be one.

That's a combination we have never had since our return.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I hope we take Bridgewater. I mean ..... look at the bright side ......

If we draft Bridgewater either he is wildly successful ....... or else everyone can make fun of Verse like so many have of Diam for David Terrell and Brady Quinn.

To this day I can still hear the resounding echoes of the infamous "David! David! David! and Brady! Brady! Brady!

We could rejoin that chorus with the rhythmic choral of "Teddy! Teddy! Teddy!

J/K. All in good fun dawgs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I thought for sure, that was a draft to turn the tide for our franchise. Brady was such a dud, I could see why you wouldn't post as much. Even Couch wasn't that bad. that monday night ravens game was a thing of beauty. never seen so many ugly ducklings thrown in my life.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Teddy Bridewater will rebound before the draft with his private work outs. Cam Newton could not hit the broad side of a barn during his pro day and he still went #1 overall. He would be my 2nd choice behind Blake Bortles.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I hope we take Bridgewater. I mean ..... look at the bright side ......

If we draft Bridgewater either he is wildly successful ....... or else everyone can make fun of Verse like so many have of Diam for David Terrell and Brady Quinn.

That's pretty funny.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I thought for sure, that was a draft to turn the tide for our franchise. Brady was such a dud, I could see why you wouldn't post as much. Even Couch wasn't that bad. that monday night ravens game was a thing of beauty. never seen so many ugly ducklings thrown in my life.

I remember Quinn having a solid statistical game against the Broncos in his 1st NFL start. People went nuts, It didn't matte that that Broncos had the worst defense in the NFL that year. They allowed 20 passing TD, and had only 6 INT.They also allowed teams to run wild on them, allowing 26 rushing TDs. They sucked ... but no one cared. Brady was the miracle man. I didn't see that. I took a ton of heat ..... but, unfortunately, was right in the end.

As far as drafting him, I didn't want him with our draft pick, but was OK with trading back into the late 1st round for him. I thought that he showed promise in his 1st preseason ..... but part of that was that I just hated the way Frye played the game, and his attitude. However, as time went by, and Quinn got game action, it became clear that he was a better backup preseason QB.

Man, we have failed a lot with QBs. Our best QB since 1999 is a guy that most people lambasted and threw over for old Brady ..... that being DA. Even today people make fun of him ..... but he still led us to a 10-6 season, and had one of the best seasons a Browns QB has ever had, as far as yards and TD passes go.

I just pray that we get the QB spot right sometime soon, I want a winning team.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
#866363 03/22/14 02:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Just getting murkier for me with this. Maybe overconfident. Pro Day either doesn't matter much if you favor him or has little or no influence if you are shopping elsewhere. If you take him, you roll the bones. I question if he can take the pounding. RGIII has skills, but can't score injured. Is that a disappointment or not? If we take him, I suggest we enjoy him quickly, because it might not last long. Reminds me of Slash in some ways.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
Decent sign for us Teddy-followers from Browns Country on facebook:

Tony Rizzo on ESPN 850 WKRN Really Big Show that Browns General Manager Ray Farmer really likes Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and he has been quiet about him because doesn't want people to know about it. ‪#‎CLE‬

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rizzo? Really? Don't hold your breath.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Teddy is a great kid and a real class act. He is smart and he makes sound decisions but he wasnt able to maintain 214 lbs this is a concern. Now when you are pushing the ball on an out route, it is either he doesnt have an NFL arm or he is injured. Glove or no glove, it was inside there were no fans blowing from the sideline and those throws were painful to watch especially seeing his mechanics all over the place which again is often a sign of an injury.

I think of the wind whipping in Cleveland, pitt, cinn in nov and dec and I simply do not see an arm capable of being effective in bad weather. You dont have to have a great arm but you do need a strong arm.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Tony Rizzo on ESPN 850 WKRN Really Big Show that Browns General Manager Ray Farmer really likes Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and he has been quiet about him because doesn't want people to know about it. ‪#‎CLE‬

Well, way to ruin the party by broadcasting it, Rizzo, lol!

(p.s. - I'd bet that this is simply Rizzo spitballing his own thoughts - throwing crap against the wall to see if anything sticks (and simply drumming up conversation), and NOT any sort of "inside" information)

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From everything I've seen from Farmer, every interview, every quote. Bridgewater is exactly the type of guy he wants here. Humble, hard working, smart, loves the game.

I know this is going to come off as kind of racist but here goes. I've always been against drafting black quarterbacks, because by and large they have been "run first" type of guys, not unlike Johnny Manziel. This is the first time I can remember a black QB coming out in the draft (top of the draft) that was a pre snap read, pro style coverage reading quarterback. I mean how many of them are even in the league right now? Russell Wilson? Beyond that you have the run first guys trying to acclimate to the NFL, Kapernick, Newton, Griffin etc.

A black, superstar QB has been something the league has been pushing for, for a while now. They sooo badly wanted it to be RG III, but alas, run first results in injuries. What better city than Cleveland for a guy like this? He's ready, we're ready (team and city), it's time.

T
tpz Offline
Rookie
Rookie
T
Quote:

From everything I've seen from Farmer, every interview, every quote. Bridgewater is exactly the type of guy he wants here. Humble, hard working, smart, loves the game.

I know this is going to come off as kind of racist but here goes. I've always been against drafting black quarterbacks, because by and large they have been "run first" type of guys, not unlike Johnny Manziel. This is the first time I can remember a black QB coming out in the draft (top of the draft) that was a pre snap read, pro style coverage reading quarterback. I mean how many of them are even in the league right now? Russell Wilson? Beyond that you have the run first guys trying to acclimate to the NFL, Kapernick, Newton, Griffin etc.

A black, superstar QB has been something the league has been pushing for, for a while now. They sooo badly wanted it to be RG III, but alas, run first results in injuries. What better city than Cleveland for a guy like this? He's ready, we're ready (team and city), it's time.

Not racist at all. At least not in my opinion. 100% agree. I would be happy with Bridgewater at 4, but PLEASE don't trade up to get him. If he's gone then I'd wait until the 2nd or third to get a Mettenburger, Garapollo, Murray.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't agree, if it takes a trade, I'm fine with it. I said from the start I'd give up our second first round pick for him. How many more first round picks are we going to waste because we don't have a QB.

I'd give up all of the last 10 years worth of first round picks for a guy like Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning. If it takes giving up ONE for a guy who can take us to the playoffs, it's a no brainer.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
I think you're missing a good number of pro-style black QBs (whether they did or didn't work out) - Freeman, JaMarcus Russell, Jason Campbell, and Byron Leftwich all come to mind as highly drafted black quarterbacks who were not thought of as "run-first" guys when they were drafted.

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure Bridgewater will make it to us at #4 but if he does and we take him, I'll be very cool with that. What I wouldn't be cool with is him sitting behind Hoyer for years.... If we take Bridgewater he IS the man and should start ASAP. Get the inevitable growing pains out of the way this year so next season he's ready to play at a high level. The only concern I have with TB is his diminutive size. Can he survive NFL hits? At barely over 200 lbs. it's not certain...Otherwise he's an excellent prospect and we'd be lucky to have him.

One thing to note, we are running the WCO again. A very complicated offense that takes quite a while to learn. So if we take Bridgewater and he looks lost for a while... Don't Panic!(and carry a towel) Peace

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
E
Legend
Legend
E
Racist...just changing times - I hope and those days are gone. Now the bias I see is not pigment of skin but height and arm strength. That is for sure. Curious how JM fares. As stated no QB under 6 feet has been taken in the first round of a draft. Not sure about the 50's n 40's.

Speaking of racism...in my eyes none more than having Warren Moon go to the CFL. He was a great QB in college I was shocked he didn't go in the NFL...I only read about him week in n week out. Later to find out he was American of African descent. Great QB...
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Racist...just changing times - I hope and those days are gone. Now the bias I see is not pigment of skin but height and arm strength. That is for sure. Curious how JM fares. As stated no QB under 6 feet has been taken in the first round of a draft. Not sure about the 50's n 40's.

Speaking of racism...in my eyes none more than having Warren Moon go to the CFL. He was a great QB in college I was shocked he didn't go in the NFL...I only read about him week in n week out. Later to find out he was American of African descent. Great QB...
jmho

It still exists, there was a reason that Ozzie is working for Baltimore and not the Browns. There is a reason we took Couch. The term "Face of the franchise" and "look the part" have been thrown around with our crap organization for WAY too long. First black Browns GM (LONG over due) and maybe the first (legitimate) black starting QB in the same year. I am 100% on board and I think in two years time we can be a playoff team with Bridgewater at the helm.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

jmho

It still exists, there was a reason that Ozzie is working for Baltimore and not the Browns. There is a reason we took Couch. The term "Face of the franchise" and "look the part" have been thrown around with our crap organization for WAY too long. First black Browns GM (LONG over due) and maybe the first (legitimate) black starting QB in the same year. I am 100% on board and I think in two years time we can be a playoff team with Bridgewater at the helm.

I really disagree with that. When someone says the look of a franchise QB they are noy saying white or black. If Jamies Winston was draft eligible he looks like a franchise QB. He is not white so why does he have he look of a franchise QB? He is 6-4 235 lbs. That is what the look of a franchise QB means and he is black. By the way if he was draft eligible he would go #1 overall.

E
Legend
Legend
E
It still exists, there was a reason that Ozzie is working for Baltimore and not the Browns.

I'm sure it exists somewhere - but not noticeable.

Confused a bit from your statement above. Thought Ozzie is working in Balt. cause he was part of the Browns and the MOVE - he was well intrenched by the time we came back through expansion.

sort of ironic - our Tennessee Owner hires Farmer to turn the franchise around. In my eyes proof of the changing times. Not perfect...but getting there.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

jmho

I really disagree with that. When someone says the look of a franchise QB they are noy saying white or black. If Jamies Winston was draft eligible he looks like a franchise QB. He is not white so why does he have he look of a franchise QB? He is 6-4 235 lbs. That is what the look of a franchise QB means and he is black. By the way if he was draft eligible he would go #1 overall.

I think you're being naive friend. Times have changed since Ozzie and Couch, thankfully so has our management.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It still exists, there was a reason that Ozzie is working for Baltimore and not the Browns.

Confused a bit from your statement above. Thought Ozzie is working in Balt. cause he was part of the Browns and the MOVE - he was well intrenched by the time we came back through expansion.

sort of ironic - our Tennessee Owner hires Farmer to turn the franchise around. In my eyes proof of the changing times. Not perfect...but getting there.

jmho

I have it on VERY good authority that the only reason we wouldn't give Ozzie a chance was because at that point there wasn't a black GM and Carmen Policy's exact words were that you have to "Look the part".

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He loved Modell and he went with the Browns to the ravenswhen they left. He never worked for another owner besides Modell. We tried to get Ozzie here more than once and it did not work because of his loyalty to Art.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Carmen Policy's exact words were that you have to "Look the part".

Thanks Carmen why Diam hated you so I guess among other things. Funny how I think the Browns fans only face they would judge is a Winning face compared with a Losing Face. Clark btw is still going down in history as one of the WORST GM's in the history of the NFL. Even if he didn't have the title.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

jmho

I have it on VERY good authority that the only reason we wouldn't give Ozzie a chance was because at that point there wasn't a black GM and Carmen Policy's exact words were that you have to "Look the part".

I don't think Ozzie was even available at the time so I don't know how your VERY good authority can even know this stuff.

Ozzie was firmly entrenched with the Ravens and was well on his way towards building what became a championship team.

I do remember the media bringing up Ozzies name and a ton of fan speculation that Ozzie would be a good fit, but I don't remember anyone from the Browns talking seriously about him.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

so I don't know how your VERY good authority can even know this stuff.

If you put 2 and 2 together, it's not exactly a huge secret where that came from...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

so I don't know how your VERY good authority can even know this stuff.

If you put 2 and 2 together, it's not exactly a huge secret where that came from...

Ok, Help me out cause I guess I'm not seeing it.. Tell me where you believe that came from?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Was that before or after he threatened his wife?

Tony Rizzo is a moron and anything he says should be rejected entirely. He's even worse than Bruce Drennan. Aaron Goldhammer might actually be smarter.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just a note we will not attend JM's Pro-Day either....hmmm maybe its because we are interested in him too...lol I guess Rizzo can assume we really like JM too.

Hey Bozo's have to earn a living too. No matter how small their car is

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Just a note we will not attend JM's Pro-Day either....hmmm maybe its because we are interested in him too...lol I guess Rizzo can assume we really like JM too.

I'm sure that Chuck Booms on WKRK will use that or he'll have a conniption fit because he'll conclude that the Browns aren't going to move up to get his boyfriend at #1 overall.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure that Chuck Booms on WKRK will use that or he'll have a conniption fit because he'll conclude that the Browns aren't going to move up to get his boyfriend at #1 overall.

Here's the thing about all these pro days.... At least from what Farmer said. they are scripted. He said that he gets more out of having the guys come in or to go to them privately than he can out of a Pro Day.

I don't know if it's really true that the Pro day is scripted, I'd guess it's likely. But if it's true, I'd have to agree with Farmer on that point.

bring the guy in or go see him for a private workout. Gotta believe that your bound to find out more about the guy that way.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If you put 2 and 2 together

that right there is your problem.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think you're missing a good number of pro-style black QBs (whether they did or didn't work out) - Freeman, JaMarcus Russell, Jason Campbell, and Byron Leftwich all come to mind as highly drafted black quarterbacks who were not thought of as "run-first" guys when they were drafted.

Yes. There was also this guy named Warren Moon once. He was pretty good.

You can add Daunte Culpepper to the list of first round guys. Akili Smith, too.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Moon is an entirely different era. Smith and Culpepper are exaclty what I'm talking about, more athlete than QB. I don't remember any other black QB that has been as highly touted as a cerebral QB like Bridgewater. The Majority of them have been athletes first, QB's second.

Warren Moon is the best example of what I am talking about.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Mid-career Donovan McNabb.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Mid-career Donovan McNabb.

He's a tweener, he did a lot of running and got hurt a quite often, he could make plays from the pocket though.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Moon is an entirely different era. Smith and Culpepper are exaclty what I'm talking about, more athlete than QB. I don't remember any other black QB that has been as highly touted as a cerebral QB like Bridgewater. The Majority of them have been athletes first, QB's second.

Warren Moon is the best example of what I am talking about.

Culpepper was not a runner in college. IIRC he broke the Division I Career passing yardage record.

Akili Smith was drafted high because he had 10.1 YPA his senior year.

They were not highly touted for athleticism.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Teddy Bridgewater Redux

Link Copied to Clipboard