Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10726980/tennessee-titans-release-chris-johnson

Where does he end up? He's got some serious talent. Gonna want a ton of money.

KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
idk why...

but I have this crazy feeling that he ends up in Baltimore at a reduced price in a month or so...cuz they need insurance for Rice and Pierce hasnt been it.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10726980/tennessee-titans-release-chris-johnson

Guy's a moron, has always seemed like a me me player, and I think speed is key for him. May be he's matured in the past couple years. This'll be his seventh year, not that interested. Let someone else have him.

I think he'd do well with Rex Ryan and those New York Jets for may be a year. But his career is winding down. He might have a decent season this year, but he will fall off quick.

Sad cause he was a great RB at Eastern Carolina. Loved the guy. But something went sour with my feelings about him

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ravens signed Daniels and Steve Smith... not trying to sound dumb as I really don't know - but do they even have any cap to spare?

Either or, Johnson is going to accept two roads to travel down...

1. He will play at the start of the season on a team, but not at the money he is wanting and likely expecting. (i'm curious if he gets signed, what the numbers are/will be.)

2. He doesn't play at the start of the season and becomes a middle or late season signing by a team that needs a RB, or he sits out playing period.

We'll see... JMO

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
My first thought is the Jets, because the talking heads on Sirius NFL radio said it several times yesterday.

But two other teams stand out to me. First, the Eagles because Chip Kelly loves speed so much, and no other reason. Second, he just seems like a Raider to me for some reason.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Johnson had 1 great season.. contract year.. and has really done nothing much since. It almost seemed as though he felt like.. "Ok.. I got mine.. done now"

I know he had some injury issues.. but really did not seem to do anything after signing the big contract.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Thats the hang up...but I could see them working a deal to make him happy and still afford it. I dont know how much space they have...it cant be much.

But idk...i just see him and Steve Smith together being mean

It has to start somehow
N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

with Gore being older, I would see SF going after him pretty hard. they could use some playmakers on offense as well and might use him as an H-back too.

#gmstrong
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Thats true...how much faith do they have in Lattimore regaining form? and they also have LaMichael James, Kendall hunter, and Dixon too

It has to start somehow
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Johnson had 1 great season.. contract year.. and has really done nothing much since. It almost seemed as though he felt like.. "Ok.. I got mine.. done now"

I know he had some injury issues.. but really did not seem to do anything after signing the big contract.

Johnson still runs hard. I was impressed with how I saw him run last year when I watched Tennessee.

He did have 1 great season. But he's been productive with pee-poor QB play just about every year he's been in the league.

2008: 1,228 Ru, 260 Re (1,488 scrimmage yards)
2009: 2,006 Ru, 503 Re (2,509 scrimmage yards)
2010: 1,364 Ru, 245 Re (1,609 scrimmage yards)
2011: 1,047 Ru, 418 Re (1,465 scrimmage yards)
2012: 1,243 Ru, 232 Re (1,475 scrimmage yards)
2013: 1,077 Ru, 345 Re (1,422 scrimmage yards)

So, he's never had a season with less than 1400 yards from scrimmage. Last year Tennessee was breaking in 2 new starting OGs (and a new OT?). The QB play has been horrible. He's a consistent performer.

Browns' RBs with 1,400+ scrimmage yards since the return:
2010 Peyton Hillis (1,177+477 = 1,654) -- good enough for Madden cover, only Browns' RB in CJ's career to do it
2007 Jamal Lewis (1,304+248 = 1,552)
2005 Reuben Droughns (1,232+369 = 1,601)

And that's it.

Legend
Legend
I'd bring him in... let him and Tate platoon to stay fresh and tear it up.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

If I had to guess, I'd say he ends up back with Jeff Fisher and the Rams.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
that sounds like a good guess to me, Pit. they're hurting at RB.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
not a good year for RB money. Man as soon as he signed that last contract things went south for him...Great stats for a Browns RB though if you look at his off years...lol

not the right time n place for us to use.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interesting fact I just read about the 'decline' of Chris Johnson.

Currently 6 straight seasons with 1,000+ yards.

No one else has more than 3 straight currently.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

that sounds like a good guess to me, Pit. they're hurting at RB.

That's pretty much what I based my guess on. The need at the position combined with a history of success between the HC and RB. But who the heck knows?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
No seasons with less than 1400 yards, and he has played with horrible QB play for much of his career. (as someone posted above)

I would sure make a run at him. Could you imagine CJ2K and Tate in the backfield?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Could Tate and Johnson coexist though? I don't think they could personally but it would be awesome to give it a go if we could. We always seem to need RBs regardless of how many we enter camp with.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Could Tate and Johnson coexist though? I don't think they could personally but it would be awesome to give it a go if we could. We always seem to need RBs regardless of how many we enter camp with.

That's up to the coaches to sort out. Tate probably would be unhappy though, since he wants to be the focus of the run game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Ya, I think Tate got an incentive rich contract so I'd have to think he'd be pretty upset. Maybe restructure it a bit to compensate for reduced workload expectations (less opportunities to achieve incentives) and then give same deal to CJ. RBs are so cheap I would think we could do that. Then make sure we address the OL by adding a mauler (or 2). It would be interesting to see us go against the grain of this "passing" league... run it down their throat and keep them honest with Hoyer (or whoever) to Gordon. I dunno... stream of consciousness post...

Legend
Legend
When negotiations begin with a team, watch for rumors of us talking to him. You can almost bank on it, lol.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
We have the most money and according to this site, we need every FA that hits the market.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I just feel like yeah, maybe we're going after everyone...

But most of the times I swear either agents or the media just throw us out there to add to the numbers...

No one comes here, but they love negotiating with us...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
If he wants to sign a one year contract for the Vet min. then go for it. Otherwise pass,

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
During the season, some of us were talking about taking a flyer on CJ if he was cut and we could get him relatively cheap.

I would have much rather went after a guard or two rather than signing Tate and then picked up Johnson. There are just so many ways to acquire RBs.

We could have put him in w/Lewis and Baker and I would have been good w/that, especially if we would have went after one or two good guards or one guard and a tackle.

Disappointing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
while I agree they needed to do more to address the OL, I do not see how signing Tate precludes them from doing that.

I like The Tate signing and would take him over CJ, tough I am sure to be in the minority

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I like The Tate signing and would take him over CJ, tough I am sure to be in the minority

No you're not, CJ has no explosiveness left, he's done.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL..........................believe me, you won't be in the minority.

Farmer can't do any wrong.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree that CJ doesn't have much left in the tank, but I would take him on a cheap 2 year contract. Still, RB is not a huge concern, especially if Lewis comes back to prior form. OTOH, OL is a big question mark for me and I think we should have done more. We are now in a situation where OL needs to be addressed early in the draft.

Last edited by RhodesScholar; 04/04/14 08:28 PM.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
With the love Tate showed Cleveland...and a lot of that being because he gets to be a featured back.. I want nothing to do with Johnson.

Might be a good player but it would make some bad blood. We already have Tate and Lewis, we're fine.

C
1st String
1st String
C
I don't like building a team with a bunch of FAs.Its a high risk way of doing things,that puts a big hit on the CAP and more times than not,doesn't work out.If the Browns get it right in their drafts,then they don't need to go shopping at the high priced stores as much.Not saying Johnson isn't good,but the $ is high,and they just brought in Tate from FA too.

Last edited by Chrispierce; 04/05/14 03:24 AM.
Legend
Legend
I like the approach of building the team with the draft, and supplementing weak areas with free agency. You can buy a high priced free agent here or there, but for the most part, you want to be able to re-sign your own players, and keep the team young and productive.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

I like the approach of building the team with the draft, and supplementing weak areas with free agency. You can buy a high priced free agent here or there, but for the most part, you want to be able to re-sign your own players, and keep the team young and productive.

Absolutely.Build the team through the draft,and then sprinkle in a few FAs.
...and speaking of the draft,just a little over 4 weeks to go.Whoa Nelly is this going to be one to watch!!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

With the love Tate showed Cleveland...and a lot of that being because he gets to be a featured back.. I want nothing to do with Johnson.

Might be a good player but it would make some bad blood. We already have Tate and Lewis, we're fine.

I don't think we're "fine" but I can just feel us taking RB in rounds 3-7. Not a bumper crop this year and I think a lot of teams are looking toward the draft to pick up mid-round RB help so it wouldn't surprise me if, unlike the FA RB market, the RB's go a little higher than projected. No 1st rounders but a bunch in 3 & 4 that would otherwise have gone 5-7.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Maybe it's not my postion to say but to me this guy is mentally weak, has all the talent in the world but seems to get lazy, always sounded like somebody was looking to make an excuse why he didnt get 1,500 yards this year, one year it was the O-line, next it was the QB play than I remember hearing about the play calling, nobody ever said anything about extra effort or anything like that....like I said maybe I'm wrong, he just to me ran lazy, if the whole was there he did great ESPN highlight, if there wasnt any room he was out of bounds or going down with one arm...

D
Legend
Legend
D

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Report: Chris Johnson’s work ethic irked Titans officials

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 6, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Chicago Bears v Tennessee Titans
Getty Images
The Titans’ decision to cut running back Chris Johnson may have been at least in part a reflection of Johnson’s work ethic.

Although Johnson hasn’t had any major off-field incidents, Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports that Johnson was cut because the team is trying to create a different culture.

The issues involving Johnson generally involve, according to Wyatt, rubbing team officials the wrong way with a questionable work ethic and a laid-back attitude. New Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt wants the top players on his team to be the proverbial guys who are the first ones at the facility in the morning and the last to leave, and that’s not Johnson.

It’s important to point out, however, that Johnson managed a 2,006-yard season in 2009, and was given a huge new contract in 2011, despite what may have been a questionable work ethic. If Johnson were still playing the way he played a few years ago, the Titans would probably be willing to look past whatever issues there may be about his work ethic.

Ultimately, Johnson was cut because his production didn’t live up to his contract. When you’re a running back who averages 3.9 yards a carry and is due to make $8 million, your job won’t be safe no matter how hard you work.

web page

*repost so people dont have to open links*

Last edited by Kingcob; 04/07/14 08:10 AM.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

I'd bring him in... let him and Tate platoon to stay fresh and tear it up.

Definitely better than anyone we had last year in regular season.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum CJ2k (Chris Johnson, RB) is released by Tenn...

Link Copied to Clipboard