Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
I wonder if Vitaminwater is picking up the fine...

From Yahoo Sports...

Urlacher fined $100,000 for Super Bowl hat

April 18, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher was fined $100,000 by the NFL for wearing a cap during Super Bowl media day that promoted a sponsor not authorized by the league.

NFL rules prohibit gear that advertises any product but a designated sponsor, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said Wednesday.

Urlacher was fined for drinking vitaminwater and wearing a vitaminwater hat during the media session in Miami leading to the title game. Gatorade is the NFL's official drink.

McCarthy said this is the first time such a fine has been levied. He added that $100,000 is the standard fine for such a violation at the Super Bowl. A violation during the regular season is $10,000. It is $50,000 at the Pro Bowl.

The fine recalls an episode involving Chicago quarterback Jim McMahon in the playoffs following the 1985 season, the previous time the Bears made the Super Bowl.

McMahon wore a headband that said "adidas" in a playoff game against the New York Giants, and then-commissioner Pete Rozelle fined him $5,000 because the shoe company was not an NFL sponsor. The following week, in the NFC title game against the Los Angeles Rams, McMahon wore a headband that read "rozelle."

Link Thingy

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
D
1st String
1st String
D
Quote:

McCarthy said this is the first time such a fine has been levied. He added that $100,000 is the standard fine for such a violation at the Super Bowl. A violation during the regular season is $10,000. It is $50,000 at the Pro Bowl.

Why, may I ask, is the Pro Bowl $50,000? Are there more than 100 people worldwide that actually watch that game? They're all large fines and for a stupid reason no less. More from the No Fun League.

[Linked Image from iveyfiles.com]
Determined
Worker
Intense
Good worker
Hard worker
Terrific
Legend
Legend
...and MLB let the Washington Nationals wear VT caps during their game last night to show support for the Blacksburg tradgedy. You think the NFL would have let that happen? No freaking way! The NFL would fine the whole team for even suggesting such a thing.

The NFL needs to relax. They're only drawing more interest in what Brian was drinking by slapping him with this fine. I didn't realize he had that hat on until I saw this. Dorks...

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I wonder if Vitaminwater is picking up the fine...

That's exactly what i was thinking, lol. They probably paid him to wear the hat as well as are picking up the fine. He knew the rules, definitely was planned.... Probably weren't expecting such a fine though

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
and this is more free advertising for VitaminWater.... they should definitely pick up the fine, call it part of the sponsorship expense and write it off.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
NEW YORK -- Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher was fined $100,000 by the NFL for wearing a cap during Super Bowl media day that promoted a sponsor not authorized by the league.

Matthew Emmons/US Presswire

Urlacher is out $100,000 for wearing this hat, which promotes a sponsor not authorized by the league.
NFL rules prohibit gear that advertises any product but a designated sponsor, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said Wednesday.

Urlacher was fined for drinking vitaminwater and wearing a vitaminwater hat during the media session in Miami leading to the title game. Gatorade is the NFL's official drink.

The fine recalls an episode involving Chicago quarterback Jim McMahon in the playoffs following the 1985 season, the previous time the Bears made the Super Bowl.

McMahon wore a headband that said "adidas" in a playoff game against the New York Giants, and then-commissioner Pete Rozelle fined him $5,000 because the shoe company was not an NFL sponsor. The following week, in the NFC title game against the Los Angeles Rams, McMahon wore a headband that read "rozelle."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2841997

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
they know the rules I'm sure Urlacher will be given the money back thru the vitaminwater co lol

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Does this fine seem a little late to the rest of you?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
A fine is a fine...but $100K

Further proof that Roger Goodell is the antichrist.

Legend
Legend
Gatorade probably just realized it and complained to the league, so the league had to do something about it

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Why, may I ask, is the Pro Bowl $50,000? Are there more than 100 people worldwide that actually watch that game? They're all large fines and for a stupid reason no less. More from the No Fun League.

LOL...your right, I bet if ya take a poll, more people who dont understand football watch the pro bowl, because if you do understand football ya know the pro bowl is not football...but as for the fines and coverage, it's covered and views world wide, regular season games are mostly regional games so not as many people can see it.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Urlacher Fined $100K For Wearing A Hat

Link Copied to Clipboard