Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Interesting article.

I haven't dealt with tuition in years but acquiring an education now and in the future seems to to be nearing/borderline "a pipe dream".

Can't wait to see what affect paying athletes will have on the average students tuition and if it would create a divide/rift between athletes and non-athlete students.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/04/families_are_saving_for_colleg.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio - About half of American families are saving for their children’s college education, according to a survey by Sallie Mae, but it won’t be enough to cover costs.

Families' overall savings are up seven percent to $115,604 from last year, but 53 percent of that total is earmarked for retirement while only 10 percent is set aside for college, according to How America Saves for College, an annual report by the financial services company.

Among families saving for college, the average savings for families with teenagers is $21,416.

According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2013–2014 school year was $30,094 at private colleges, $8,893 for state residents at public colleges, and $22,203 for out-of-state residents attending public universities.

Sallie Mae has surveyed families since the 2008 recession to see how it affected savings for college. Online interviews were conducted with 2,020 parents with a child under the age of 18 last November and December.

"The vast majority of American families - rich or poor- believe that a college education is an investment in their child's future and are firm in their desire to have their children benefit from higher education," the report said. Families said that "despite difficult economic circumstances and the extensive public discussion about college costs, they remain steadfastly committed to the prospect of their children attaining a college degree."

Prior to 2008 62 percent of parents were saving for college and that dropped each year to 50 percent in last year. This year the survey showed that has leveled off at 51 percent, the company said.
The primary reason half the families with children under the age of 18 are not saving for college is that they don’t have the money, the report said.

Families not saving for college are more likely to have a low income and parents who do not have a college degree.

Sallie Mae said 41 percent of parents have started planning for how they will pay for college—but not all planners have started saving, and not all savers have created a plan.

Planning includes researching college costs and financial aid and encouraging children to study to increase chances of scholarships and to enroll in AP courses in high school to earn college credits.

Families with a plan expect to pay 40 percent of their child’s college costs through parent savings and income, much more than those without a plan who expect to pay 23 percent from those sources, the report said.

Non-planners anticipate a greater share of their child’s college to be paid from grants, scholarships and student loans.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

All Pro
All Pro
College tuition is out of hand and neither the colleges or government wants to do anything about it. I have a granddaughter that has a $65000 scholarship at Akron and will be attending Ohio State Dental College and when she graduates will owe $200,000, now that is ridiculous. The other problem is some kids in majors that will have a difficult time finding a job in that field and still owing 10's of thousands.

GO BROWNS!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I really think it's the next big bubble to burst, and burst bad.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It gets worse too:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonk...e-in-31-states/

Quote:

Start saving now: Day care costs more than college in 31 states
BY CHRISTOPHER INGRAHAM
April 9 at 2:00 pm
College costs loom large in the parental mind. According to a 2013 report by Sallie Mae, half of parents are putting away money for their kids' education. Those who aren't are fretting about it, saying that they feel "frustrated," "overwhelmed" and "annoyed" when they think about college savings. But most parents will deal with an even larger kid-related expense long before college, and it's a cost that very few of them are as prepared for. That expense is day care.
A report last fall by Child Care Aware America, a national organization of child-care resource and referral agencies, found that the annual cost of day care for an infant exceeds the average cost of in-state tuition and fees at public colleges in 31 states. The biggest gap is in New York, where day care will set you back nearly 15 grand, but in-state college tuition is only $6,500 -- a difference of over $8,000. Massachusetts, Maryland, Colorado and Oregon also have large gaps, driven primarily by the high cost of day care in those states. At the other end of the spectrum is South Carolina, where in-state tuition is higher than the cost of day care by about $4,000 a year.

The variation between states is due to differences in costs of living, the regulations and licensing requirements in each state, and the amount of money each state spends on higher education. In South Carolina, for instance, in-state tuition is so high partly because the state reduced higher ed funding by 67 percent from 1980 to 2011, according to the American Council on Education.
While parents have years to prepare for college costs, there is literally no time to save for child care -- a baby is born, and parents typically have to go back to work in just a few weeks' time. We accept that it typically takes 18 years to sock away a sizeable-enough college nest egg. Considering that child care is an equivalent, if not greater, expense and that the average maternal age at first child birth is 26, this suggests that we should similarly start putting money away for day-care expenses when we're roughly 8 years old. Sorry, kids: Your allowance money is going to the day-care fund now.
Obviously this isn't a realistic scenario, but it does raise the question: How do we pay for child care? A report out Tuesday by the Pew Research Center finds that an increasing number of parents are simply avoiding child care costs by staying at home. Nearly 30 percent of moms stay at home now, up from only 23 percent in 1999. For many families it simply makes more financial sense for a parent to stay home with a young child than it does to incur thousands of dollars in day-care costs. Pew reports that only five percent of "U.S. married stay-at-home mothers (with working husbands) had at least a master’s degree and family income exceeding $75,000." This suggests that stay-at-home motherhood is primarily increasing among the lower and middle classes, and that it's driven primarily by having too little money, rather than too much of it.
Parents fretting over college costs can at least console themselves with the notion that there is a good deal of financial aid available for students who need or deserve it. But there are no merit-based scholarships for day care.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I've worked for four years, saving the bulkload of my paychecks, to pay for college and etc before entering into a campus.

As of about two years ago, I don't owe on any student loans or anything. I can't say the same about of other of my friends... some of my close friends who don't mean sharing personal info are thousands and thousands in the hole on their student loans (they of course went to school longer than me, but still) - and I feel bad for them. If college if going to get worse, then wow... it'll be "yeah you can get a college education at the expense of paying a student loan bill until the day you die".

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JC

I think we will see the rebirth ( in earnest) of the trade schools... plumbers, electricians and the like.

Hell you can make as much if not more than a 4 year degreed person and be out in two or less, plus the demand for your services will keep growing.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

It gets worse too:

Quote:

BY CHRISTOPHER INGRAHAM
College costs loom large in the parental mind. According to a 2013 report by Sallie Mae, half of parents are putting away money for their kids' education. Those who aren't are fretting about it, saying that they feel "frustrated," "overwhelmed" and "annoyed" when they think about college savings. But most parents will deal with an even larger kid-related expense long before college, and it's a cost that very few of them are as prepared for. That expense is day care.
A report last fall by Child Care Aware America, a national organization of child-care resource and referral agencies, found that the annual cost of day care for an infant exceeds the average cost of in-state tuition and fees at public colleges in 31 states. The biggest gap is in New York, where day care will set you back nearly 15 grand, but in-state college tuition is only $6,500 -- a difference of over $8,000. Massachusetts, Maryland, Colorado and Oregon also have large gaps, driven primarily by the high cost of day care in those states. At the other end of the spectrum is South Carolina, where in-state tuition is higher than the cost of day care by about $4,000 a year.

The variation between states is due to differences in costs of living, the regulations and licensing requirements in each state, and the amount of money each state spends on higher education. In South Carolina, for instance, in-state tuition is so high partly because the state reduced higher ed funding by 67 percent from 1980 to 2011, according to the American Council on Education.
While parents have years to prepare for college costs, there is literally no time to save for child care -- a baby is born, and parents typically have to go back to work in just a few weeks' time. We accept that it typically takes 18 years to sock away a sizeable-enough college nest egg. Considering that child care is an equivalent, if not greater, expense and that the average maternal age at first child birth is 26, this suggests that we should similarly start putting money away for day-care expenses when we're roughly 8 years old. Sorry, kids: Your allowance money is going to the day-care fund now.
Obviously this isn't a realistic scenario, but it does raise the question: How do we pay for child care? A report out Tuesday by the Pew Research Center finds that an increasing number of parents are simply avoiding child care costs by staying at home. Nearly 30 percent of moms stay at home now, up from only 23 percent in 1999. For many families it simply makes more financial sense for a parent to stay home with a young child than it does to incur thousands of dollars in day-care costs. Pew reports that only five percent of "U.S. married stay-at-home mothers (with working husbands) had at least a master’s degree and family income exceeding $75,000." This suggests that stay-at-home motherhood is primarily increasing among the lower and middle classes, and that it's driven primarily by having too little money, rather than too much of it.
Parents fretting over college costs can at least console themselves with the notion that there is a good deal of financial aid available for students who need or deserve it. But there are no merit-based scholarships for day care.

We pay around $1100 a month for child care, thats 13k a year. It's really ridiculous because that's a mortgage payment.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It gets worse too:

Quote:

BY CHRISTOPHER INGRAHAM

We pay around $1100 a month for child care, thats 13k a year. It's really ridiculous because that's a mortgage payment.

That's almost 3 times my mortgage payment.

Anyway ..... I believe that the student loan program is largely responsible for this increase in tuition costs. Now "anyone" can go to college, without any money out of pocket. Heck, even illegal immigrants can get federal student loans. (how the hell that works is beyond me) Colleges, being smart and educated, have raised tuition to the point where they can attract the most students, based on what the average student receives in aid, whether or not the increase is justified.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/average-cost-of-college-tuition/

Tuition, and room and board rates for a 4 year public 4 year institution was $8653 back in 2000-2001. That was about 4 years into 100% usage of the federal direct loan program.

In 2010-11, that cost was $15,918. Linkadooeramainski

Bear in mind that we had a massive and catastrophic recession along with major economic problems from 2007-2011. That didn't stop, or slow the cost of education though. Why? Because everyone rides when the government guarantees loans for all!

Isn't it ironic that, right now, the maximum available from Federal Direct and Perkins loans is $14,000? For YSU, an in state resident student's average cost will be $15,551. (with room, board, tuition, and fees) It's amazing how that is just above what a kid can get from student loans ..... and almost everyone qualifies for some grants. Heck, as an adult student, I got $300 or so in grants. I bet that the average student winds up with just about enough to just cover this average cost.

Tuition rises to the level where kids can afford to go, many based on the total they get from loans and grants ..... and the government picks up the cost for a lot of lower income kids. I bet that tuitions would drop dramatically if the federal student loan program and freebie trips for college for lower income students went away. However, there is little to restrain the increases in the cost of a college education.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's having a credit card on a grand scale. It's modern day slavery masked by "further education". Then when many (like me) end up in fields that had nothing to do with their major for the simple reason that it's more profitable, was it worth it?

College is NOT for everyone and the sooner we start teaching our children that, the better.

Legend
Legend
I'm sorry... how exactly is it slavery?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The other problem is some kids in majors that will have a difficult time finding a job in that field and still owing 10's of thousands.

This has more to do with poor decision making on their parts and advice from their parents and/or schools than it does the cost of tuition.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
JC

It probably is the next bubble, and Uncle Sam is backing the majority of it. The Universities are using loans to jack up the price. I don't think they will "bail out" people with student loan debt. They'll continue to modify payments so it drags out for a lifetime.

And I agree that tech schools and 2 year degrees will flourish. Most B.A. degrees should only take 2 years. Now, they really take 5 years of full-time.

I don't have kids, but I would never give them $$$ for college. I'd put it towards their first house or a business. Heck, I would buy them acreage with lumber before tuition.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I agree. Students should only go for professions in the medical, business, engineering, law etc.. I know plenty of people give advise on doing what you like, but for some professions there aren't enough jobs for the graduates. How many broadcasting/radio jobs are out there? I've seen plenty of communication majors, selling life insurance door-to-door, or doing other work since they couldn't land a job in their profession. I tell students all the time to go into a field where there plenty of jobs, even though that line of work might not be your first choice. It beats wasting money on an education that has a ton of risk whether you could find work in.

Legend
Legend
I had a nrighbor who went to college for less than 5 grand. His parents were poor and he was handed everything for nothing. I worked 60 to 90 hours a week my whole life and I got nothing but the finger from the government when my kids went to college. Between the two of my kids they needed more than 100,000 in loans to get through school and my daughter had 30 to 40 grand in scholarships and grants. That is yet another problem in this country when parents work their ass off to provide for their children and those who collect welfare and never work get a free ride for theirselves and their kids

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Were the colleges as prestigious as each other? I think that is where your answer will lie.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm sorry... how exactly is it slavery?

BpG may not have elaborated much but I understand his sentiment. Debt bondage may not be as direct anymore. However if you are an american with the median US debt of $75,000 you simply can't afford to not have income coming in. If you are deep in debt you're going to put up with being treated poorly at work more than someone who is debt free. If you are deep in debt the interest you are paying in may meet or exceed the principal you are paying down, ensuring you will stay in debt for a very long time. You also are going to have higher stress levels than someone with no debt because of the house of cards that is created around you financially.

For many debt starts the moment they enter university and it is a tough hole to climb out of.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I always tell people to take the community college route. Go 2 years and finish your bachelors at your school of choice. I know some schools that let you go 3 years. Kids just want the "college experience." Is that really worth the extra 20-30 grand (intrest not included) you'll have to pay? Kids are going to eventually just get over the negative stigmas attached to a community college.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
We are saving now, we should have about $40,000 saved up unless the market crashes, and maybe closer to $45,000 or $50,000 if the market really gets going in the next 9 1/2 years. After reading this I guess I should start saving more. I'm in the corner where I will try my damndest to pay off her college so she can start life debt free.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
H
1st String
1st String
H
Quote:

I feel your pain. We are paying a 1000 dollars a month for preschool in Minnesota.

Luckily my wife is going to be a college professor at a private college where we can get free tuition for our kid.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I know I'm going to get some flack for this post as it's completely Un-American, but I wish someone told me this when I was applying to colleges; Europe is so much cheaper than the US in terms of college. Undergrad courses run about 3 years while masters run 1 year instead of 4 and 2 respectively. ETH Zurich, which is a top 15 international university charges something like $600 per semester. So if you're really serious about paying for college, I would look into some foreign countries.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I agree. Students should only go for professions in the medical, business, engineering, law etc.. I know plenty of people give advise on doing what you like, but for some professions there aren't enough jobs for the graduates. How many broadcasting/radio jobs are out there? I've seen plenty of communication majors, selling life insurance door-to-door, or doing other work since they couldn't land a job in their profession. I tell students all the time to go into a field where there plenty of jobs, even though that line of work might not be your first choice. It beats wasting money on an education that has a ton of risk whether you could find work in.

I would remove law from that group. If you want the truth, go to JDunderground.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Never really thought about international college, wife is from Thailand, maybe look there. Could stay with family in Bangkok while going to school.

But first we will hold out for some softball scholarship, hopefully she keeps getting better.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
It's now impossible to work your way through college:

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/arc...college/359735/

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 04/12/14 12:13 AM.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I would remove law from that group. If you want the truth, go to JDunderground.

We have too many lawyers and not enough firms hiring.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Exactamundo. At least half...AT LEAST half of the law schools need to close. They've gone the way of the for-profit universities.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
A big part of the problem is kids not doing research on their majors, job out look and school cost. They just know they want to go to college because it's what they're told to do by society. There's negative stigmas attached to smarter alternatives. Now I will admit, connections and networking is a powerful advantage that you get from these 4 year schools.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I believe all degrees should require some sort of internship. I believe that is almost as important as the degree itself. A student that has a few internships, is more likely to find a job in their field, than one that doesn't have one.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I believe all degrees should require some sort of internship. I believe that is almost as important as the degree itself. A student that has a few internships, is more likely to find a job in their field, than one that doesn't have one.

I agree.

Heck I know a few buddies that majored in criminal justice and had to intern.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I believe that the student loan program is largely responsible for this increase in tuition costs.

I do a lot of work on college campuses and all you have to do is follow the money being spent to know why the cost of education has skyrocketed... Colleges don't sell education any more, they sell a "lifestyle" and they try to make it as comfy as the lifestyle the kids are moving out of at home.

When I went to college, my first 2 years were spent in a dorm room.. not a suite, a ROOM. a 12'x16' CMU wall room which I shared with another guy, we each had a metal framed bed, a desk, a dresser, and a 3' wide closet. Bathroom and shower down the hall which we shared with the entire floor, a phone on the wall at each end of the hall for public use, vinyl tile on the floors and no AC, we had 1 minifridge and a hotplate, there was one television with cable in the building and it was in the main lobby, we had a 9" tv in our room and sometimes we could get a show with the rabbit ears.... the one "lounge" at the end of the hall had a few very uncomfortable chairs in it..... and not only did we survive, we had a blast. We had 1 dining hall on our end of campus they generally had 2 entrees and a couple side choices for any given meal, the menu was published weekly... we had a soft serve machine, we thought we were cool..

Now I spend my time helping colleges build $40 million freshman dorm suites, 4 bedrooms off a central living area with a kitchen with full size appliances, everybody has their own room, all wired for television, share a bathroom with 4 people instead of 24 people, the lounge at the end of the hall has very nice furniture, flat screen TVs, glass walls, $45/yard carpet... The dining hall is now a food court, sandwiches, salads, entrees, it's like a buffet with all types of cuisine all the time, because everybody has to be able to have what they want when they want it...

And don't get me started on the student centers they build, the rec/intramural fields, walking trails, etc... Colleges spend an absolute ton of money on everything BUT education...

yebat' Putin
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

I believe that the student loan program is largely responsible for this increase in tuition costs.

I do a lot of work on college campuses and all you have to do is follow the money being spent to know why the cost of education has skyrocketed... Colleges don't sell education any more, they sell a "lifestyle" and they try to make it as comfy as the lifestyle the kids are moving out of at home.

When I went to college, my first 2 years were spent in a dorm room.. not a suite, a ROOM. a 12'x16' CMU wall room which I shared with another guy, we each had a metal framed bed, a desk, a dresser, and a 3' wide closet. Bathroom and shower down the hall which we shared with the entire floor, a phone on the wall at each end of the hall for public use, vinyl tile on the floors and no AC, we had 1 minifridge and a hotplate, there was one television with cable in the building and it was in the main lobby, we had a 9" tv in our room and sometimes we could get a show with the rabbit ears.... the one "lounge" at the end of the hall had a few very uncomfortable chairs in it..... and not only did we survive, we had a blast. We had 1 dining hall on our end of campus they generally had 2 entrees and a couple side choices for any given meal, the menu was published weekly... we had a soft serve machine, we thought we were cool..

Now I spend my time helping colleges build $40 million freshman dorm suites, 4 bedrooms off a central living area with a kitchen with full size appliances, everybody has their own room, all wired for television, share a bathroom with 4 people instead of 24 people, the lounge at the end of the hall has very nice furniture, flat screen TVs, glass walls, $45/yard carpet... The dining hall is now a food court, sandwiches, salads, entrees, it's like a buffet with all types of cuisine all the time, because everybody has to be able to have what they want when they want it...

And don't get me started on the student centers they build, the rec/intramural fields, walking trails, etc... Colleges spend an absolute ton of money on everything BUT education...

Agreed. 100%.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Families are saving for college, but it won't be enough, report says

Link Copied to Clipboard