Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/16/2014-nfl-dr...f-fresno-state/

he Cleveland Browns need a quarterback and are likely to draft one with the fourth overall selection in the 2014 NFL Draft. But who? While a couple names may be off the big board when the Browns select, a handful of popular names will still be available from the collection of Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater and more.

But it’s not Manziel, Bortles or Bridgewater that the Browns have their eyes on according to Mike Freeman who reports that ‘many in football’ believe the Browns will draft Derek Carr with the 26th overall selection.

MORE: MMQB: Our fav football movies | 2014 NFL Mock Draft | Top QBs | Top WRs | Top RBs

The stats for the two-time Mountain West Player of the Year are astounding. Last season alone, Carr completed 454 passes for 5,083 yards and 50 touchdowns — all tops in the NCAA. In eight of Fresno State’s 13 games, he topped 400 yards through the air, and surpassed the 500-yard total twice. Over back-to-back games against New Mexico and San Jose State, Carr threw for 13 total touchdowns. His numbers are among some of the most prolific all-time in FBS history. Of course, much of the credit there goes to the Bulldogs’ playbook, which featured pass after pass after pass. Still, the 6-foot-3 Carr, brother of former No. 1 overall pick David Carr, made the offense go with his rifle arm, which may be why many in football told Freeman Cleveland has its eye on Carr.

They love him. They really love him. The feeling with many in football is that Cleveland will take Carr with its 26th pick. Other quarterbacks are rising quickly, but he might be rising the fastest. He has charmed almost every team he’s met with and his arm and accuracy are underrated. And no one seems to be scared of the fact he’s related to epic draft bust David Carr, a notion that was definitely in play just a few months ago.

Carr appeared on NFL AM Tuesday morning recently and shared his belief that he is “absolutely” the best quarterback prospect in this year’s class. If you do not believe him, he suggests you go turn on some tape.

“Absolutely,” he said when asked if he was the best QB in the class. “And I say that with respect to all the other guys because they’re great competitors and all those good things. And it’s not easy for me to answer a question like that but I absolutely think so.

“There’s no doubt in my mind. We can turn the film on, sit down and watch it and we’ll talk about it and I’ll convince you.”

He may have already convinced the Browns.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
If we draft him..................I'm done.

Turn the tape on? Really? You freaking suck w/your happy feet and inaccuracy issues.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Vers I understand how you feel and respect your opinion but to me no matter who the Browns draft, even if I don't agree 100% I will get behind that player and support him because as a diehard fan that is the thing to do. I think we should take one of the top 2 OL Watkins,Clowney or Mack with #4 and a QB later but that is JMHO. What do you think?

V
Legend
Legend
V
We all have our opinions, Homes.

Not trying to change you mind. Just voicing my opinion.

I think we should draft Teddy or Manziel at 4. No doubt about it.

Of course, we probably won't. The only guy the Browns ever took that I was praying for was Joe Thomas.

We almost always do stupid things. I don't have much confidence in Farmer and Petting in terms of the draft. They make stupid comments.

Just when I thought we were set to move forward............we do something rash and put two guys who have almost no experience w/the NFL draft in charge.

They are either the masters of deception or are draft ignorant. Hoping for the former.........expecting the latter.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If they do draft Teddy or Manziel at #4 I'll get behind them100%. Thank you for your opinion and response.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Homes.................don't take any of that personal. It's just an opinion, man.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'm not. Like I said, I respect others opinions and like to hear them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know Carr's not too well like on this board, but to be honest it would not surprise me one bit if we drafted him.... 'For better or for worse (sighs).'

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Id rather pass on Carr was well but they have alot more axcess to his game film, and such than we do. I wouldnt be against it in the 2nd round. but would rather get some o-line help and cb help in the first.

#brownsgoodkarma
V
Legend
Legend
V
I doubt they have more than I do. LOL

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
youtube only shows you so much. Lombardi.....err i mean vers. LOL

#brownsgoodkarma
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
Eh, I really hope this isn't true. Especially at four.

The only QBs I'd take at four would be Bridgewater or Manziel.

I see why it can be easy to fall in love with Carr, with his excellent arm talent and underrated athleticism. By all accounts, he is also a hard worker and a good leader. But he seems to lack any semblance of pocket presence, and that worries me. I also question his ability to handle pressure and drop back from center while reading a defense and going through his progressions.

I also don't understand the people who criticize Bridgewater for his frame, when he (6'2 1/8", 214, 9 1/4" hands) and Carr (6'2 3/8", 214, 9 1/8" hands) are almost identical in stature, yet Carr seems to receive no criticism for his frame.

I know Bridgewater's arm is not as good as Carr's, but I think it is definitely good enough, and Bridgwater excels in the areas Carr struggles - pocket presence, blitz recognition, progressions.

While arm strength cannot be completely discarded, I think once it is established that a QB's arm strength surpasses a minimum threshold by NFL standards, then pocket presence and accuracy are the most important factors. To me both Bridgewater and Carr surpass the threshold for arm strength, and when I turn to evaluate them on pocket presence and accuracy, I'll take Bridgewater every time.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I am kind of rooting for us to draft Carr now.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

It's ok to look at Carr's finer points or believe they have good film on him, but how is it possible to downplay his performance against USC or any good competition for that matter?? I don't compare him to Weeden like a lot on here may, but I DO think he's BQ 2.0.

I can't stand the guy. For the record, I don't like Manziel either, and I thought he was completely off the radar when Lombardi left. The more I keep thinking about it, though - especially with the effort to change the culture to one of urgency - I am beginning to believe Manziel may be our guy once again.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am 99% convinced Manziel is our guy at 4. Haslam loves the guy and he is perfect for Shannahan's offense. Everyone was convinced Manziel was our guy then we start hearing Manziel was never our guy it was Carr all along and this from the regime that is trying to keep everything secret.

Carr is probably option 2 but Johny Football in my opinion is priority #1 for this draft.

T
Legend
Legend
T
"Many in football" believe the Browns will draft Derek Carr.

Well That Will (go bad, boo!)

I hope Haslem is not stupid enough to let that happen. And I feel confident enough that if I'm wrong on this one, feel free to remind me of it.
If they draft Carr! UNINSPIRING!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I gotta say if they draft Carr I am done too. Not to say I won't be a fan and watch on sundays but I don't think I'll be able to justify wasting so much time on a team. I will find a new "hobby". I just cannot fathom how men who get paid to do what they do could evaluate a prospect like him and call him 1st round talent.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Drafting Derek Carr is like drafting Weeden, just something to laugh at and another straw on the camel's back.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I may be "off my rocker", but what about A.J. McCarrin?... If he is a third round, or later, draft pick, he may be the "sleeper" pick, a la Brady, we have all been dreaming of... It's not like he is an unknown, but he rarely appears on anyone's list of top QB's. I watch a lot of college football, and have been impressed by his accomplishments within the pro set system Saban has incorporated at Alabama. McCarron has the experience, ability, and has shown the Leadership, the "it factor", if you will, that the Browns so desperately need in this draft.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
No, drafting a 5'11 poor mans version of Michael Vick will get you laughed at when that QB destroys every bone in his body week 1.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Derek Carr, Blake Bortles and Johnny are all on the same tier for me. But I at least can appreciate the home run swing for Johnny than I can the other two.

Legend
Legend
I admit that I have no clue which of the top tier of QBs will be successful, and which won't. I am just going to put guarded trust in the front office for this year, as I did in the first year of the Banner/Lombardi regime.

It seems to me that all of the QB candidates in this draft have strengths, and all have weaknesses. None are the "perfect" draft candidate. If they were, we'd have no shot at them.

Of the 3 teams in front of us, an argument can be made that each could/should take a QB, if they feel that there is a guy worthy of being drafted that high.

The Texans certainly don't have a starting QB. The Rams have a guy with major question marks, who cannot stay healthy. The Jags have nothing. Then there is us. An argument can be made that all of the top 4 teams need, and should take a QB. (and maybe even 7 of the top 8 teams in the draft) However, there is still debate and conjecture as to whether any of the QB candidates are worth the top pick .... and/or whether teams in dire need of a QB will even look at one in the 1st round. That tells me that all of them have flaws. Which has the fewest flaws is open to debate, and which has flaws that can be compensated for in the WCO is within the realm of the front office and the coaches. Despite what some believe, I do not think that any of the QBs in this draft are sure things. All of the QBs in this draft can be seen as a bit of a crap shoot. I just hope that our guys are the one group who get it right. (no matter who they draft)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Turn the tape on? Really? You freaking suck w/your happy feet and inaccuracy issues.

LOL. Relax bubba. We ARE NOT taking Carr at 4. And not at 26 either.

We are so tight lipped about virtually everything going on right now. All of a sudden now everyone KNOWS we're in love with Carr? LMAO.

I hope Minny believes it too and moves up to 3 and snags him. We get our choice of the Top 3. And we best damn well take advantage of it and ride this out and see how it goes.

MUST take this chance at 4.

This is going to work out incredibly well for us. Houston MUST take Clowney. You don't pass on the #1 player in ANY draft when there's no QB the caliber of Manning or Luck staring you in the face.

The City of Houston will MELT DOWN the house if they pass on Clowney.

I'm seeing this going down like this.

1-Clowney
2-Robinson
3-Bortles

We get our choice of Teddy B and Manziel.

PERFECT.

I am going to break my TV if we take MACK and leave those 2 QB's on the board.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

And take Carr.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

And take Carr.

Oh don't be silly. We're ganna take Sammy Watkins...

Then take Carr at 26.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I am kind of rooting for us to draft Carr now.

Well that's a not-so-subtle cheap shot, cfrs....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Quote:

I may be "off my rocker", but what about A.J. McCarrin?... If he is a third round, or later, draft pick, he may be the "sleeper" pick, a la Brady, we have all been dreaming of... It's not like he is an unknown, but he rarely appears on anyone's list of top QB's. I watch a lot of college football, and have been impressed by his accomplishments within the pro set system Saban has incorporated at Alabama. McCarron has the experience, ability, and has shown the Leadership, the "it factor", if you will, that the Browns so desperately need in this draft.

I've been thinking this also. However, I AM off my rocker

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jmho... : )
#1- I personally don't like Carr because of his lack of.... "IN The Pocket Presence" !
#2- I Believe Pocket Presence,& ARM STRENGTH are #1 & #2 when playing today's game!
#3- I like 2 Qb's in this Draft who I think have 2 of the most important things you look at when evaluating QB play..
Zach Mettenburger an Johnny Manziel
I would take Manziel with the #4 pick an if Mettenburger is there at #26 I would draft him!
That give us 3 QB's to get it right!
Hoyer,Manziel,Mettenburger...1-2-3

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

We are so tight lipped about virtually everything going on right now. All of a sudden now everyone KNOWS we're in love with Carr? LMAO.

I hope Minny believes it too and moves up to 3 and snags him. We get our choice of the Top 3. And we best damn well take advantage of it and ride this out and see how it goes.

This is going to work out incredibly well for us. Houston MUST take Clowney. You don't pass on the #1 player in ANY draft when there's no QB the caliber of Manning or Luck staring you in the face.

1-Clowney
2-Robinson
3-Bortles

PERFECT.

well you are already halfway to a busted tv cause there is no way in hell we even consider Teddy at 4 and he has probably been taken off our boards all together at this point. He admitted to having trouble throwing a cold ball, wonder how many balls we got out of the cooler for him to throw.

I cant understand why people want a knuckleballer throwing in the afc north. I dont get it at all. He is smart he knows how to read a defense but balls get cold, and they get wet and the wind actually blows and you have to throw that cold wet ball in the wind and snow. you need a tight spiral and a low trajectory.

He is a finess knuckleballer that puts to much air under it. He is not an option at 4 and we would likely pass on him at 26 and 35. Garoppolo, Metlenberger will go before Bridgewater.

T
Legend
Legend
T
First of all let me explain. If they are going to sign a Quarterback, ( I mean draft one) then you might as well do it at #4.
What I'm trying to say is their decisions send messages.

Waiting till 26 to take Carr would say, This guy isn't 100% "The guy" because if he was, you jump on him at #4, NOT 26.

That! conclusion would be saying that if he is not " The Guy" then he's "Maybe" not as good as what you have now.

That! would be saying that he might not be better than Hoyer. And Hoyer has only 2 really good games in a Browns uniform, and that's It. Two!

Saying that you are going to add a guy, who your team can't decide is going to be better than Hoyer for sure and be " the guy" , which is what your are saying if you wait until #26, means also that this guy isn't as good as Weeden and Campbell would have been if they had stuck around.

Because I'm sure there's a pretty good chance Hoyer is going to nosedive when he faces other defenses and teams that gameplan against him for a whole season, and if Campbell and Weeden were still here they'd overtake him as a starter.

And if they don't take any qB, then you are saying you are going to go with Hoyer for a Whole season? Oh my freaking goodness that would be so bad.
1st, NO Browns starter stays healthy
2nd No Bronws backup stays healthy
3rd. He's a 3rd stringer to begin with.

Which is why, they have to take whomever they take, with their first pick at #4. Or they have to get a guy better than Hoyer on the team before the draft.
Or they have some plan to get some "magical star" out of the trash that is bandied about, post draft, pre season, in Qb's who change teams.

They put themselves in that situation when they cut Campbell, when they cut Weeden.

Or Maybe! Oh I'm wrong, Hoyer's stock is so great, why don't you try and shop him on the open market and see how much other teams want him.
And even if thats so, see points 1 and 2 above.

I'd feel better if the Browns take Carr at #4 than if they take him at #26! Then at least that is saying the Browns believe in him! AS STUPID, AS THAT SEEMS!!!!!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

It's ok to look at Carr's finer points or believe they have good film on him, but how is it possible to downplay his performance against USC or any good competition for that matter?? I don't compare him to Weeden like a lot on here may, but I DO think he's BQ 2.0.

Okay, let's say that he is Brady Quinn 2.0. Do you think that Brady Quinn is any better than Mark Sanchez? Do you think that Hoyer is better than them (yeah, I know the same is small), but I'm asking you to make a judgment by what you've seen. If you think that Hoyer is better, then look at how close those teams came to the Super Bowl with Mark Sanchez!

I recommend that you look at the 2009 and 2010 NY Jets teams. Take a look at who the DC was. Look at the defense's overall performance.

Now, look at the offense. Look at their running game. Compare it to what the Browns are trying to do. Still feel confident that the Browns will take a QB at #4? Still feel that it's necessary that they must take one at #4?

Take that into consideration when you listen to Pettine's comments about QBs, defenses and running the ball. He openly told you what his football philosophy is. I find it astonishing that people still think that he's trying to pull the wool over the eyes of people. He's telling you what he's doing and in my view, and that's it - just my view, he is confident enough that he's going to be able to stop other teams and is telling them so.

Quote:

I can't stand the guy. For the record, I don't like Manziel either, and I thought he was completely off the radar when Lombardi left. The more I keep thinking about it, though - especially with the effort to change the culture to one of urgency - I am beginning to believe Manziel may be our guy once again.

I don't think that Manziel is even in consideration. If I were to be completely honest, I think that the Browns having all these QBs in for visits and holding private workouts with them is the smokescreen. They are trying to pull attention away from who they're really targeting.

It would not surprise me to find out that the Browns make a trade during the draft (maybe even before) to pick up someone like Glennon from Tampa Bay for a late round draft choice, maybe for a 6th or even a 7th rounder. It's obvious to me that Lovie Smith doesn't want Glennon. He brought in Josh McCown to be the starter ( ), at least for the off-season.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Browns, please take Mack at #4, then trade everything else just to move up to #5 and take Derek Carr. I want so many people that post here completely apoplectic! They should all gather in one place and have a live feed for the event.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd feel better if the Browns take Carr at #4 than if they take him at #26! Then at least that is saying the Browns believe in him! AS STUPID, AS THAT SEEMS!!!!!

I don't think it's stupid at all, and you can swap that name out with Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater if you like and I'll still agree with it.

C
1st String
1st String
C
No thanks.I would rather build the rest of the team up,and wait for a better QB than Carr.

2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1-Clowney
2-Robinson
3-Bortles

PERFECT.

well you are already halfway to a busted tv cause there is no way in hell we even consider Teddy at 4 and he has probably been taken off our boards all together at this point. He admitted to having trouble throwing a cold ball, wonder how many balls we got out of the cooler for him to throw.

I cant understand why people want a knuckleballer throwing in the afc north. I dont get it at all. He is smart he knows how to read a defense but balls get cold, and they get wet and the wind actually blows and you have to throw that cold wet ball in the wind and snow. you need a tight spiral and a low trajectory.

He is a finess knuckleballer that puts to much air under it. He is not an option at 4 and we would likely pass on him at 26 and 35. Garoppolo, Metlenberger will go before Bridgewater.

OK, enough with the stupid...he can't play in Cleveland weather excuse. Did you realize Louisville weather is almost identical to Cleveland weather. The Browns do not play in a torrential down pour and/or -10 degree and/or 3 foot of snow blizzards every weekend.

IF they manage to get a home playoff game, the odds of him playing in snow goes up, but it DOES snow in Louisville.

Now, granted the weather off of Lake Erie is not the best in the country, but it is not as if he played in College Station Texas and is now being asked to throw an ice ball all season....

And with that example, I am a huge Manziel fan...

These are athletes capable of playing professional football. Cleveland's weather is not going to be their downfall on their path to the HOF. They are either going to have it or they are not...It won't have to do with the weather.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I certainly hope "many in football" are wrong, because while Carr looks like a world-beater when throwing passes in drills, he looks like Mark Sanchez when there are actually players playing defense against him.

Couch, Frye, Quinn, McCoy, Weeden...I've liked none of them and view Carr in the same ilk.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

OK, enough with the stupid...he can't play in Cleveland weather excuse. Did you realize Louisville weather is almost identical to Cleveland weather.

You didn't know that Fresno, California had much worse weather than Louisville, Kentucky?

V
Legend
Legend
V
It's no surprise to me that many who liked Timid, BQ, and Weeden also like Carr.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Does Mary K like Carr, because if she does...everyone should run.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Quote:

OK, enough with the stupid...he can't play in Cleveland weather excuse. Did you realize Louisville weather is almost identical to Cleveland weather.

You didn't know that Fresno, California had much worse weather than Louisville, Kentucky?

I'm sorry, did Teddy Bridgewater spend extended time playing in Fresno CA? The situation being referenced is Bridgewater not being able to play in Cleveland because of the weather...Utterly ridiculous.

{Edit:} Sorry, must be getting late, I reread that and just realized the sarcasm...I usually catch it faster than that..

Last edited by IrishDawg42; 04/20/14 10:25 PM.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 ‘Many in football’ believe Cleveland Browns will draft Derek Carr

Link Copied to Clipboard