Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
Yeah but, Signing/Drafting/Keeping/Getting rid of the "wrong" people is the equivalent of not doing anything at all...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Yeah but, Signing/Drafting/Keeping/Getting rid of the "wrong" people is the equivalent of not doing anything at all...

that...what makes McQuistan the "wrong people" ?

He's not the guy you wanted the front office to sign?

Who the heck are you to judge the talent level of PM?...you work for a Pro team?...you a scout being paid by a Pro team?

So the front office didn't sign the guy you wanted them too...that's tough...guess you got to live with it.

We shall see if PM helps the Browns Oline when the pads go on...until then, you can't say the Browns didn't address the OG spot during free agency...because that would be a flat out "lie".

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Who the heck are you to judge the talent level of PM?...you work for a Pro team?...you a scout being paid by a Pro team?

I'm assuming he has eyes...

Have you never judged the talent level of a player before, mac?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
YTown what do you thnk about Weeden?

I do not think I have ever been wrong about a player.. I may have been but I dont think about it.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Well ACTUALLY... I was being sarcastic.. and inferring that about other people...

But then you had to say really dumb things.

Quote:

You do not have to work for a Pro Team, or be a Scout, to be able to judge people based on their abilities.

I can watch people play basketball at the Rec and tell you who's better.

All scouting, and talent evaluating is, down to a basic idea, is opinion. In your opinion, based on the facts you've gathered, this is what you think about a player..

You don't need a degree to have an opinion.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

I'm assuming he has eyes...

Have you never judged the talent level of a player before, mac?

05...everyone has eyes...that is the problem with message boards...many who are not qualified to judge ANYTHING associated with football start typing....

...they deliver opinions based on "hurt feelings"...like Farmer didn't sign the OG I wanted him to sign... but then the "hurt feelings" cross over into "out and out LIES"...like, the Browns didn't address the OG position in free agency.

That is exactly what we have going on here...some resorting to lies, rather than telling the truth...they don't like the signing of PM.

All I can say about PM, he's played well enough to start 40 out of 48 games for the Seahawks over the last 3 years, playing every position but center. He played on a team that used a zone blocking scheme and might be valuable to the coaching staff because the Browns are just making the switch to a zone blocking scheme.

I'm gonna wait until the pads go on before I form my opinion of PM...I think that is fair...don't you?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This is a message board Mac. You're a part of it..... We judge the talent of players all the time! Not just everyone else on the board, you do too!

We judge players, we judge coaches/managers, and we judge decisions. It's what we do..........

I mean, of however many posts you've made (you've been here as long as I have), you've never judged a player? Or a coaches decision?

Hell, you judged whether Shaun Rogers wanted to be traded or not using articles from 12 months+ beforehand, lol. Although, you might have been right in the end, not sure, but you very well mighta. lol

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Petey...If you take the time to go back to where I joined "this" conversation about OGs...you will see that I'm not focused on opinions...I'm focused on folks lying about the Browns addressing the Oline in free agency.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Browns sign Paul McQuistan from the Seahawks?

....the guy playedf LT and LG for the Seahawks last season, starting 14 games.

So, did the Browns address the Oline needs during free agency?

If someone wants to discuss the caliber of the guys play, I have no problem with that. IMO, his play was good enough to help the Super Bowl Winning Seahawks achieve their 2013 goal.

But don't lie and say the Browns didn't address Oline needs during free agency.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Agree, picking up Colledge, if the money was right, would be a good idea.

I'm not familar with the Paul McG signing. If he's decent, then I recant. Sorry.

My penance will be one "I love Farmer" (there, its in writing)

2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Quote:

I don't buy the incomplete grade. You can grade things as they stand now. These aren't final grades.

As a student you get graded at points far before the final grade. This is simply grading Farmer and crew on what has happened to this point. Think of it as a pop quiz.

It isn't that hard to understand.

JMO.

Yea, that always cracks me up... I can't grade this years draft until 2017 because by then we should know who is good and who isn't..

It's pretty simple, based on what we did, and what you THOUGHT we should do, to this point are you happy with the offseason or not? Ain't terribly difficult.

If this is what it is based on, then my "current" grade is an A+. The only other grade would be a C if they sat on their hands and did nothing.

They made moves, they spent wisely and the team on paper has improved. There is no other logical grade I can personally give "at this time" of the 2014 off season.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

YTown what do you thnk about Weeden?

I do not think I have ever been wrong about a player.. I may have been but I dont think about it.

I will point out that I was right about Brady Quinn, Charlie Frye,and Colt McCoy long before most fans came around to the idea that they all would be better off barely hanging onto a roster spot on another team, rather than here.

Oh some of the names I was called .......

I am still stunned that Quinn is still hanging on in St Louis, and that McCoy was signed as the 3rd string QB in Washington.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If someone wants to discuss the caliber of the guys play, I have no problem with that. IMO, his play was good enough to help the Super Bowl Winning Seahawks achieve their 2013 goal.

He played G for them. It's not like he was the reason they won. There's a list of people that actually did things in SBs and went on to get contracts with other things because of that, and ended up not doing anything... And they did more than block.

Quote:

It's not "lying" if someone believes in their opinion that signing McQuinstan was not enough to adress the Oline.

That's called a "difference of opinion"

E
Legend
Legend
E
J/C...

Addressing the OL through FA...is almost an Oxymoron....keep in mind I'm sure like everything there are exceptions. I saw no studs out there for us to compete with. There might have been one who on paper looked to be a good candidate for Outside zone stretch.

Our OGs are not great by any stretch of the imagination but I'll put them up with any of the FA OGs that were out there. Whatever they lacked in talent - continuity with each other would make up for it...no Stokes out there.

Pinkston...I looked at him closely as he came back at the end of last season. Especially the Jet game as I attended. He was leaner, meaner and definitely gets it as he was constantly talking emotionally to Gilkey, Lava and Greco. He came in for a few reps as he was not suppose to play yet. He looked much much faster than I ever saw from him before. Good lateral movement. I think all here are judging him on the Pinkston they saw 2012.

Y-town just for the record I don't think Vers was a pimp of Schwartz coming here. I know I was and very few agreed with me. But mostly after we hired Shanahan even I stopped talking about him due to the Outside Zone blocking Scheme as in he was not a good candidate. Actually as it turns out he can be very close to the guy we did end up getting - THE BACK UP as in very versatile OLman Quistrain whatever his name is - I'm terrible with names. But Schwartz did GET IT which got him some props. But he was on a pretty good OL Unit.

Our OL was not that bad last year...too many blame the OL

Run game...we never committed to it, OL needs to have commitment to the run game for them to get into the groove. Not a stat person but didn't we pass more than any team? Could swear I heard it stated here n there over the off season. Well teams are pinning their ears back and 2 out of 3 of our QBs were not able to cope. Oh and of course we had SIX starting QB changes...but it was the OL?

Can we improve on it...Oh without a doubt heck I'm the one who states no QB at 4 I hope we take Robinson for our RT, Schwartz better learn to play RG or see you later when his 4th year runs out. But I think he has excellent feet n power for a RG. Even in an Outside Zone blocking scheme. He can be an average RT or possibly a great RG.

jmho - There are a lot of variables in the OL unit. But as units go it was one of the strongest units we had last year.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

If someone wants to discuss the caliber of the guys play, I have no problem with that.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Our OGs are not great by any stretch of the imagination but I'll put them up with any of the FA OGs that were out there. Whatever they lacked in talent - continuity with each other would make up for it...no Stokes out there.

Pinkston...I looked at him closely as he came back at the end of last season. Especially the Jet game as I attended. He was leaner, meaner and definitely gets it as he was constantly talking emotionally to Gilkey, Lava and Greco. He came in for a few reps as he was not suppose to play yet. He looked much much faster than I ever saw from him before. Good lateral movement. I think all here are judging him on the Pinkston they saw 2012.

EO...we have Greco, Pinkston, Gilkey, a guy named Jeremiah Warren and McQuistan at OG...

...until the coaches get the opportunity to work with the Oline on the field, they won't know if they have the talent needed to run this blocking scheme.

BUT, based on what we already know about our Oline guys...it is a pretty safe bet that Thomas, Greco and Mack will be able to picking up the new system without too much trouble... and with the addition of McQuistan at OG the coaches are hoping to find a RT to complete the starting Oline.

The coaches have to find one more starter and then develop our Oline depth.

Our Oline might not be in as bad of shape as some believe.

Last edited by mac; 04/23/14 04:34 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Your not doing this again are you????

Quote:

05...everyone has eyes...that is the problem with message boards...many who are not qualified to judge ANYTHING associated with football start typing....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Browns sign Paul McQuistan from the Seahawks?

....the guy playedf LT and LG for the Seahawks last season, starting 14 games.

So, did the Browns address the Oline needs during free agency?

For mac's sake,hence forth and forever more, we shalleth all state that is our opinion that the Browns did not ADEQUATELY address the OL problem, while acknowledging that we did, in fact, sign an OL player.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Liar!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
oh GOD, lets not go there again

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Quote:

Quote:
J/C
here is a move from January that I completely missed:

The Cleveland Browns signed Brandon Hughes to a reserve/futures contract on Jan. 2, 2014.

anybody know anything about this guy? I'm clueless.

5th round pick. Ran a 4.38 at the combine. Had a knee injury. Cut, signed, Cut signed, played 13 games with Philly in 2011, 16 in 2012, 1 last year...

thanks

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
E
Legend
Legend
E
EO...we have Greco, Pinkston,

You can stop there...Gilkey is very raw don't know how much he'll jump up the ladder this year. He still has a year of develop in him. one is a solid BACK UP who can put in some decent starts. For some reason you think McQ is the starter and not Pinkston...hmmm never saw it that way, I'll be surprised. Coaches looking for a RT...I know I said Robinson but still Schwartz is not bad at all. He didn't progress as much as I wanted him to last year. But I never got a hint from the coaches they were looking to replace Schwartz. ???

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
YTown. I already said I wasn't freaking out. I said I have a concern. Why can't I voice my honest opinion w/out someone dismissing it by saying I am "freaking out?"

I wasn't trying to get you to 'fess up about Weeden. I was trying to get you to understand that it might be valuable to actually consider the opinions of others, rather than saying things like they are "freaking out," which is really saying the guy's statements are unreasonable and irrational, thus we should all dismiss them.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

So the front office didn't sign the guy you wanted them too...that's tough...guess you got to live with it.

You are the biggest freaking hypocrite I have ever been associated with.

mac, tell us...............were you ever employed as a GM? Were you ever employed as the President of an NFL team? Were you once a placekicker in the NFL?

If not, who the hell were you to judge Banner and Lombardi last year on every move they made?

Who the hell were you to make dozens and dozens of posts about the placekicker?

Who the hell were you to call a man mentally ill because you did not agree w/his moves?

Pfttttt...............you disgust me.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He is... mac being mac.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We really don't know about how the Browns feel about Gilkey and Faulk. Faulk was essentially redshirted last year, and investment if you want to call it. He had a 2nd round grade out of LSU before the knee, so maybe there is a plan that we are not privy to.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
I considered your opinion. I disagree with the apocalyptic view you seem to see the Guard position with. (and yes, that is the stance you appear to take with your comments)

One of the guy you have lamented us passing on is Geoff Schwartz. (though admittedly, IIRC, not the top guy you wanted) Geoff Schwartz has started exactly 7 games in the past 3 seasons. What makes you think that he would be an upgrade? He's a name ..... but that's about it. I explained why I don't see the salaries these Guards received as fitting into the salary structure of the team, especially given the salaries of Thomas and Mack. That's why the Chiefs let their 2 guys go. They could not afford the significant expense of keeping them, needing that money to address other needs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

For some reason you think McQ is the starter and not Pinkston...hmmm never saw it that way, I'll be surprised.

EO...the main reason I consider McQuistan a starter now instead of Pinkston...experience in a zone blocking scheme.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

mac, tell us...............were you ever employed as a GM? Were you ever employed as the President of an NFL team? Were you once a placekicker in the NFL?

If not, who the hell were you to judge Banner and Lombardi last year on every move they made?

vers...about Banner, nailed it... didn't I?

I understand you being upset about being so wrong about Joe Banner...but calling my a "hypocrite" because I was right about the man...I guess you are really upset, resorting to calling names.

I simply took the time to look up Banner's past...his experience "on the football side"...then I told the truth about the man. Joe Banner had never been in charge of the football side of any football team at any level, before Haslam handed him the job of running the Browns.

It only took Banner one season to prove to the owner that he was not qualified to run the football side of the Browns.

About the mental thing...just because an individual might have some kind of condition, it does not make them mentally ill. Did you ever look up Napoleon Complex?

About your claim that I judged Banner and Lombardi on every move...there you go again, playing extremely lose with the facts. For over four months, I didn't say a damn word about Banner and Lombardi or about the moves they made...ISN'T THAT TRUE, VERS ?

While we are on the subject...why did you post this (below)...knowing it was not true?

"Quote: We didn't sign a guard. We are switching to a zone blocking scheme and we are hurting at guard and probably at RT, as well."

One more thing...you and I...ARE NOT "associated" in any way...we have never met...never attended a game together or had a beer together to discuss the Browns. We are simply members of this message board.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just another reason to love the Dead Zone...lol

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I disagree with the apocalyptic view you seem to see the Guard position with. (and yes, that is the stance you appear to take with your comments)

I have said SEVERAL times that I have a concern. So, now you are calling me a liar.

Later.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

vers...about Banner, nailed it... didn't I?

You said this earlier:

Quote:

So, did you ever work in the NFL in any capacity? If not, how can you criticize others for having an opinion about player personnel?

And mac, you didn't nail squat, except yourself to the wall. There is no proof that Banner sucked. He got fired by a trigger-happy owner.

The TRich trade was a masterpiece. He brought in Hoyer. Do you hate Hoyer, mac? He brought in Farmer and other key FO personnel that are still here. Do you hate all those guys, mac?

Do you want to relinquish the extra 3rd and 4th round picks he acquired, mac?

Do you want us to cut Bryant and Kruger?

He didn't fail. He didn't succeed. He simply did not have enough time to prove himself either way.

But again, who the hell are you to judge him? And if you say you are a fan who is entitled to judge football moves, then please freaking stop attacking others who are doing the same thing, and not in such an hateful, spiteful, and shallow manner as you attacked the previous regime.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...or had a beer together ...

It wouldn't surprise me if you both couldn't agree on which brand...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

32..Since I'm not a drinker, I would have to defer to Vers to pick the beer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

32..Since I'm not a drinker, I would have to defer to Vers to pick the beer.

No problemo! Vers has won enough bets that he likely owns the brewery by now...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Wow! He has a fan on a message board!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Wow! He has a fan on a message board!

Perhaps "respect" is a more apt word than "fan". Pit...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

There is no proof that Banner sucked. He got fired by a trigger-happy owner.

You still stick your neck out for this loser? At least you're loyal. Maybe someday Mangini and Banner open a sect and hire you as their PR guy.

You want proof?
He hired and fired Lombardi and then fired his hand picked HC after less than 12 months in a blame game battle after preaching "consensus" and "no ego" (Mangini-Kokinis re-run anyone?) and he picked a situational pass rusher at 6 overall in size/speed sucker "Al Davis" style. He screwed up his two biggest decisions he had to make. On top of that, he filled a young roster with even more UDFA developmental fodder, which was a big contributor in losses when we had to rely on that depth at the end of the season. He's not a football guy and it showed. One whiff is enough to get GMs fired, but two of that magnitude gets you fired in 12 months.
You may be right about Haslam, but Banner made too many big mistakes all by himself. His job was to set a structure, a hierarchy of guys running the Browns and it all blew up in his face. That's totally on him and I'm happy he is gone and has no say anymore.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
P
Legend
Legend
P
I was actually just joking around.

I give him a lot of kudos when he talks football.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I was actually just joking around.

I thought so...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

We didn't sign a guard. We are switching to a zone blocking scheme and we are hurting at guard and probably at RT, as well.

We signed two more WRs. How refreshing is that? We signed another TE. Brilliant.

We made a couple of good moves, but not addressing the OL was a huge disappointment.

Right on! 100% agree. Taking a RT at #4 isn't a reach IMO. But I know you want Teddy.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cleveland Browns Daily grades Ray Farmer’s offseason moves

Link Copied to Clipboard