Page 1 of 2 1 2
#874469 04/20/14 07:43 PM
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
I do mocks every year, normally I start in early March - but since the draft is later this year (and have been too darn busy because of selling a house, moving, interviewing back east, and a current job re-org). I normally do a pretty good job, though this year might be the hardest to predict.

I typically go needs then BPA for teams based on a combination of several boards with adjustments, and this year is no exception. I did a full 3 rounds, then up tot he Browns pick in the 4th. Beyond that, I just picked a player for the Browns based on my board. I did do a few trades in the first round (4) because there are always trades - these made the most sense to me at each draft spot.

Round 1
1…..Houston…..Jadeveon Clowney, DE
2…..St. Louis…..Greg Robinson, OT
3…..Jacksonville…..Khalil Mack, OLB

Tampa trades #7, # 69, 2015 3rd rounder to Cleveland for #4
4…..Tampa Bay (Cle)…..Sammy Watkins, WR
5…..Oakland…..Jake Matthews, OT
6…..Atlanta…..Anthony Barr, OLB

7…..Cleveland (TB)…..Justin Gilbert, CB
I considered Bortles, Gilbert, and Evans here. I'm not high on any of the QBs enough to take them top 10, and while I like Evans, I don't see him as the game changer Watkins is. I liked the idea of another top corner to match up with Haden.

St. Louis trades #13, #75 for #8
8…..St. Louis (Min)…..Mike Evans, WR
9…..Buffalo…..Eric Ebron,TE
10…..Detroit…..Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS
11…..Tennessee…..Louis Nix, DT
12…..New York Giants…..Taylor Lewan, OT
13…..Minnesota (STL)…..Aaron Donald, DT
14…..Chicago…..Darqueze Dennard, CB
15…..Pittsburgh…..Odell Beckham Jr., WR

Houston trades #33, #65, 2015 2nd rounder for #16
16…..Houston (Dal)…..Blake Bortles, QB
17…..Baltimore…..CJ Mosely, MLB
18…..New York Jets…..Calvin Pryor, FS

Cleveland Trades #26, #69 for #19
19…..Cleveland (Mia)…..Teddy Bridgewater, QB
I think if the QBs start slipping, Farmer makes a move up to grab one. I've not been sold on Manziel, and he wouldn't trade up for Carr, he'd be there at 26.

20…..Arizona…..Zach Martin, OL
21…..Green Bay…..Brandin Cooks, WR
22…..Philadelphia…..Johnny Manziel, QB
This may not make sense, but is there a more Chip Kelly pick in the draft than this guy?

23…..Kansas City…..Kyle Fuller, CB
24…..Cincinnati…..Kony Ealy, DE
25…..San Diego…..Jason Verrett, CB
26…..Miami (Cle/Ind)…..Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG
27…..New Orleans…..Ryan Shazier, LB
28…..Carolina…..Marqise Lee, WR
29…..New England…..Rashede Hageman, DE
30…..San Francisco…..Bradley Roby, CB
31…..Denver…..David Yankey, OG
32…..Seattle…..Cyrus Kouandijo, OT

35…..Cleveland…..Morgan Moses, OT
71…..Cleveland…..Carlos Hyde, RB
83…..Cleveland…..Donte Moncrief, WR
106…..Cleveland…..Ed Reynolds, FS
127…..Cleveland…..Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OG
145…..Cleveland…..Brent Urban, DE
180…..Cleveland…..Max Bullough, MLB
218…..Cleveland…..Brett Smith, QB

clwb419 #874470 04/20/14 09:33 PM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I'd die a happy man if this happened. Gilbert is a better prospect than Joe was, a perfect fit for the D and as safe a pick for a new GM as you could ask for.

Last edited by predator16; 04/20/14 09:35 PM.
clwb419 #874471 04/21/14 12:05 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Now if we only had a thread already started for mock drafts......

#brownsgoodkarma
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Fair, my bad. Like many others, I didn't think of it...there's multiple Carr threads, many, many QB threads, a few different threads on who we're bringing in...

Refs please feel free to move this to the "Mock Drafts....continued " thread, since it belongs there.

clwb419 #874473 04/21/14 03:51 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
im only teasing you bro, btw I like your mock.

#brownsgoodkarma
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
but you were right, i should have looked for the other thread and added this to it...

clwb419 #874475 04/21/14 10:18 AM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In theory, I love it.

Likely, what would happen is a team would trade up above out #19 spot knowing we were trying to get him. The phrases "Being too cute" and "Smartest guy in the room" come to mind.

If we play it too cute and mess it up, they're all getting fired again. just take Teddy at #4, don't be cute about it, we have too many picks to "be cute" with to mess up getting our QB.

BpG #874476 04/21/14 10:47 AM
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

In theory, I love it.

Likely, what would happen is a team would trade up above out #19 spot knowing we were trying to get him. The phrases "Being too cute" and "Smartest guy in the room" come to mind.

If we play it too cute and mess it up, they're all getting fired again. just take Teddy at #4, don't be cute about it, we have too many picks to "be cute" with to mess up getting our QB.

Speaking of getting too cute...

What if a more realistic situation rears it's ugly head, the fact that teams value the QB position...

Every one is talking as if all of a sudden for the first time in history when there are top QB candidates, whether red flags or not, teams will be willing to just ignore them.

What is a more realistic expectation?

THREE QBs have been mentioned as a potential #1 overall, Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel...

So, is it more realistic that teams just ignore them and one drops to the Browns at #26, or is THIS more realistic?

The Texans take the best QB on their board #1 overall...

THEN, someone like the Browns, Vikings or Raiders (or even the Jaguars when they hear about other teams moving up) move into the Rams spot to take the best of the other 2 remaining QBs based on their evaluations?

That leaves one QB left from that group and the Jags will be sitting there at #3 to take him...

I believe it is MUCH more realistic there are 3 QBs off the board in the first 3 picks, than ALL 3 QBs being available to the Browns at #4 and the Browns choosing to pass on all of them...

clwb419 #874477 04/21/14 10:47 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Interesting mock....but even with the questions around "the big 3" QBs, I just don't see the first one not coming off the board until 16. The league is just too pass driven now and the desire to have a franchise QB is too overwhelming.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

In theory, I love it.

Speaking of getting too cute...

What if a more realistic situation rears it's ugly head, the fact that teams value the QB position...

Every one is talking as if all of a sudden for the first time in history when there are top QB candidates, whether red flags or not, teams will be willing to just ignore them.

What is a more realistic expectation?

THREE QBs have been mentioned as a potential #1 overall, Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel...

So, is it more realistic that teams just ignore them and one drops to the Browns at #26, or is THIS more realistic?

The Texans take the best QB on their board #1 overall...

THEN, someone like the Browns, Vikings or Raiders (or even the Jaguars when they hear about other teams moving up) move into the Rams spot to take the best of the other 2 remaining QBs based on their evaluations?

That leaves one QB left from that group and the Jags will be sitting there at #3 to take him...

I believe it is MUCH more realistic there are 3 QBs off the board in the first 3 picks, than ALL 3 QBs being available to the Browns at #4 and the Browns choosing to pass on all of them...

Absolutely agree. There isn't a viable QB on the Texans roster, if they had planned on taking Clowney they would not have traded Schaub. The Jags have henne, but he isn't good despite his new 2 year deal. I've said all along, the Rams cannot be sold on Bradford, they just can't but he did play well when healthy (when).

I won't be upset to see us trade up.

BpG #874479 04/21/14 10:53 AM
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

I won't be upset to see us trade up.

Not only won't I be upset, I fully expect it...

Whether they can talk the Texans into a viable trade is yet to be seen, but I DO expect the Browns to take their QB at either #1 or #2 overall, not #4...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I disagree.

You don't take a QB just to take a QB that is what gets teams into trouble, Quinn and Weeden are prime examples, you take the best player unless the team needs a QB and has one closely rated to the best player available. We don't know where the experts have these QBs rated we just know where the "wannabe" experts have them rated. Maybe the team GM's have these guys all rated as middle of the 1st round prospects.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #874481 04/21/14 11:24 AM
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

I disagree.

You don't take a QB just to take a QB that is what gets teams into trouble, Quinn and Weeden are prime examples, you take the best player unless the team needs a QB and has one closely rated to the best player available. We don't know where the experts have these QBs rated we just know where the "wannabe" experts have them rated. Maybe the team GM's have these guys all rated as middle of the 1st round prospects.

I agree 100%

What I don't agree is that the REAL experts have them rated as mid first round prospects...

MORE importantly...

If they have them rated as top ten prospects, they WILL take them over guys ahead of them because they are undisputedly more important of a position than any other...

If the 3 QBs are rated say #3 overall, #7 overall and #9 overall...ALL THREE should be gone in the top five, because most likely 2 of those 5 other prospects are OT, 1 a WR and the other two pass rushers...

Which of those three positions are more important than the QB?

None, and it isn't close...

IF you have one of those guys rated that highly, there is NO way in hell they wait till the second round to get someone they have rated lower. They take the QB and start hoping their evaluators are right.

Here is my thing after evaluating these top 3 QBs myself....There is no way my 15th ranked player is rated higher than any of those 3...In fact, I personally have Bortles rated as my 13th best player in this draft and most of you have him rated higher than the other two prospects which I personally have rated #1 (Manziel) and #2 (Bridgewater) overall.

I will be shocked if there are not 3 QBs taken in the top 5 of this draft...Some GMs may flinch and take another position, but history tells me different.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Those are your rankings, again we don't know what the GM's think. Almost every year some team gets into trouble cause they reach for a QB. 2012 = Weeden, 2011 = Locker, Gabbert, & Ponder, 2010 = Tebow, 2009 = Sanchez & Freeman, and so on. If the Browns don't have a QB rated that high why draft him? He's more likely to bust then to stud.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
BpG #874483 04/21/14 12:06 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If those QB's fo 1,2 3 as alluded to and

i have Clowney, Mack, Watkins and Robertson all on the board I open the floor for bidding and tyake the best deal I can find.

Or if no deal stikes my fancy I take Clowney and never look back.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
dawg66 #874484 04/21/14 12:08 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's really pretty basic. Until you have a QB, you need a QB. Do you really believe Tannehill was worth his pick?

And while you do point out busts, that trend has been going on much further back than you mention. Ryan Leaf, Byron Leftwich, Kerry Collins, Tony Eason, Jeff George, I could go on and on. Now some of these names go back to the 80's.

Why do teams take such gambles? Because until you have a QB, you need a QB. It's a QB driven league which causes the risk/reward factor to be more worth a gamble than any other position in football by a mile.

NO other position in the game has anything close to the impact the QB position does. That's why you'll see QB's being taken high in this draft. It's been that way for decades.

The fact is, the further down the rated QB's you draft, the less your odds of success. That's just the way it is.

Same as it ever was.........

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

i have Clowney, Mack, Watkins and Robertson all on the board I open the floor for bidding and tyake the best deal I can find.

Could very well happen. As unlikely as it seems.

PitDAWG #874486 04/21/14 12:19 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't disagree that we need a QB. I just disagree that you pass up talent that you have rated higher just to draft a QB who you aren't as sure on. I have no problem if the Browns take one of the QBs at 4 if they think that player is the best one available but I do have a problem if lets say they have Watkins rated as their number 2 best player and their top QB is rated 17th yet they take the QB. You stay true to your board the only time you "reach" is if the players are closely rated and the lower rated one fills a position of need.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #874487 04/21/14 12:55 PM
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

I don't disagree that we need a QB. I just disagree that you pass up talent that you have rated higher just to draft a QB who you aren't as sure on. I have no problem if the Browns take one of the QBs at 4 if they think that player is the best one available but I do have a problem if lets say they have Watkins rated as their number 2 best player and their top QB is rated 17th yet they take the QB. You stay true to your board the only time you "reach" is if the players are closely rated and the lower rated one fills a position of need.

OK, I am on board 100% with this statement...

I would not want them to take a player they had rated at #17 overall, regardless of position of need or otherwise, at #4 overall...

My point is based on the QBs being rated in the top ten, not #17 overall...

IF they are rated in the top ten, then that means there are 6-7 other players also rated in the top ten...So 30% of your players are QBs rated in the top ten.

Now, it will depend on where they are rated...Are they rated #8, #9 and #10? I doubt it very much, but if that is the case, then you don't have a very high opinion of them to begin with and I wouldn't want them to spend #4 on their 3rd choice if 2 of the first 3 picks are QBs...

IF they are all rated in the top 6 picks however, then no matter what happens at 1-3, unless it is QB, QB, QB...than QB needs to be the pick at #4. That means only 3 players are rated higher than that 3rd QB and that one of those 3 players is gone.

In the end, we are in 100% agreement, it comes down to how Ray Farmer has these prospects rated...We are merely in disagreement on how they are rated from a personal standpoint.

dawg66 #874488 04/21/14 01:05 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree with you about taking the 17th rated player at #4.

But what I believe actually happens with a team that needs a QB, is that QB's they believe have the talent needed to succeed, are already rated highly on their board to begin with due to the position combined with need.

I believe that's why we see many QB's taken so highly overall in drafts. Need does play some role in your draft board and especially when it comes to the QB position.

I believe there are certainly 2 QB's that could easily be rated on the top 10 of any team in need of a QB. Maybe even in their top 5. Would they actually be in the top 5 of a team that doesn't need a QB? Maybe not.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #874489 04/21/14 01:23 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Need does play some role in your draft board and especially when it comes to the QB position.

See that is where i disagree, I don't think it should have any bearing on your player rankings. You may move around in the draft to get a player who fills your need based on where he is ranked on your board but you never rank a player higher just because he plays a certain position.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #874490 04/21/14 01:28 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe the history of the draft dictates it's been done time and time again and will continue to do so.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #874491 04/21/14 01:34 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I believe the history of the draft dictates it's been done time and time again and will continue to do so.

Don't disagree, just think it's not smart to do.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #874492 04/21/14 01:34 PM
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Quote:

Need does play some role in your draft board and especially when it comes to the QB position.

See that is where i disagree, I don't think it should have any bearing on your player rankings. You may move around in the draft to get a player who fills your need based on where he is ranked on your board but you never rank a player higher just because he plays a certain position.

Utterly ridiculous if you think that is true..

I know this is extreme, but do you really think the Raiders did the right thing drafting a K in the first round...SIMPLY because he was the highest rated player on their board?

That is the extreme case, but it is also the case at every other position in football..

QB will always be the most important position
RB may not get another top ten pick regardless of how they are rated alongside their peers, even though they are arguable just as important as WRs and TEs
A Guard will never be picked higher than a Tackle...Teams would rather pick a tackle higher and convert him to guard than taking a guard rated as a better player...You want to talk about ridiculous? That is absurd, yet what is being proposed by some on these boards.

Position absolutely plays a role in ratings and rankings, always have and always will, imho that is the way it should be!

dawg66 #874493 04/21/14 01:40 PM
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
But the ratings would have to take into account positional value then. They would HAVE to. Otherwise how are you going to compare the best kicker to come along in years to say Clowney? It's factored into the numbers already. QBs get a bump.

Given that, then yes you stay true to your board because the positional value is already represented there. For example, if you have a QB rated as the 17th best player he's probably not that good. He'd be drafted in 2nd/3rd round if positional value wasn't taken into account but it is so he becomes a 1st round pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Your talking about drafting the player I am talking about rating the player. Yes a OG will probably never go before a OT in the draft but you can still have the OG rated higher on your board. If the OG is the player you are targeting you just move up our down in the draft to where you feel it is comfortable to take him. IE the New England Patriots.

Gotta go to work, I'll read your response later tonight.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #874495 04/21/14 03:16 PM
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

Your talking about drafting the player I am talking about rating the player. Yes a OG will probably never go before a OT in the draft but you can still have the OG rated higher on your board. If the OG is the player you are targeting you just move up our down in the draft to where you feel it is comfortable to take him. IE the New England Patriots.

Gotta go to work, I'll read your response later tonight.

There in lies the issue...

I don't care how good of a GM you are, you are not setting the draft board for the draft. There are 32 different GMs setting there own draft board. (now I am moving away from the #17 overall non sense. There is no way all 3 of these QBs are rated below the number 10 spot) So, if you are drafting in the top 5 and you are one of the 16-20 teams in the draft in need of a QB, then you must take him at #4 if he is available. Moving down to #7 if you have him rated at #8 does you no good, because there are too many other teams that need that same QB and will move up to take him ahead of you.

When you have a QB rated in the top ten overall talent of a draft, that QB will automatically be RANKED #1 overall, simply because need outweighs everything else.

Even if that QB is RATED #10 overall, the other 9 positional players will never be weighed the same value in terms of need or relevance, so the #10 RATED player will be RANKED #1 for each and every team in need of a QB.

I have an extremely hard time believing anyone on here that has Bridgewater or Manziel rated lower than 10 other players...If that is the case, then I question how much time was spent on watching the tape rather than listening to Mel Kiper. (who is an idiot, but still has all three QBs ranked 10, 11 and 12..only 9 players ranked ahead of them) McShay who isn't much better has them 9, 15 and 16. Rob Rang has them 6, 8, 17. Charlie Campbell has them 11,14 and 18 (despite having Bridgewater #1 or #2 from prior to the 2013 draft through the end of bowl season. It wasn't until his pro day that he began dropping).

There is one flaw to all of these evaluators...Listen or read each and every one of them and they all say the same thing late January, early February...They will not give you their analysis because they haven't begun watching film at that point. They always say, Bowl games just ended, now we need to start our evaluations...Every one of them say it...

Yet, they give an in depth analysis of 200 players a month later and everyone takes it as they are knowledgeable about every one of these players.

I really don't put much stock in any analyst's big board except for Gil Brandt who did it for in the NFL for 29 years...

He has them ranked #1, #8 and #13 (bear in mind before his pro day, he had Bridgewater ranked #6...dropped him 7 spots because of media pressure)

Point is, watch these rankings...

There are no more tell tale signs that SHOULD move these player rankings, but mark my words, this time next week, QBs will begin moving back up "big boards" and they will be in the top ten the week leading up to the draft. They need to make changes weekly to keep everyone coming back for more, but will give "their" true evaluations that last week. Everything leading up to that week means nothing.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
j/c

Found this article which I think explains it pretty well...it's from the Cowboys' perspective but still hits the main point. Teams don't select BPA or for need... it's more complicated than that and things like positional value definitely impact how the final big boards are put together.

Quote:

2014 NFL Draft: The Myth Of Best Player Available

The truth is no team drafts with a pure "BPA" philosophy.

It is a consistently popular dialogue this time of year in NFL circles, how are teams going to draft? Will they focus on their positions of need, taking a player at those positions, even if someone around them might be a "better" player, or will they set their board based only on each players talent and select the most talented player on their board when their pick comes up?

The latter option is referred to as taking the "Best Player Available" or "BPA" for short.

In a vacuum either option can make some sense. You don't want to field a team the next year without addressing some glaring position of weakness, but you also don't want to "reach" and take a lesser player that may not actually improve your team. However, in addition to this pure talent vs position argument, there is are discussions of scheme fit, injury concerns, off-field problems, positional depth (or lack thereof) in the draft, implied positional value, and more. When you understand this you understand that both the "BPA" and the "Need" theories are very limited in and of themselves.

There fore, let me introduce you to my new description of teams draft theory, that is, "Best Grade Available."

When teams put their draft boards together, each player receives a grade, some teams use a pure numbers system from 1.0 to 9.0 with 9.0 being a transcendent talent and 1.0 being an undraftable guy with no future in the NFL. While others, (like your Dallas Cowboys) use a different system. A sample grade for a Cowboys prospect would be a 1.10. With this grade, the first number 1 is a constant and doesn't change, the second 1, immediately following the decimal point represents the round of the draft where they will fall, and the zero representing where in the round that player would fall. In this case the zero would indicate that this player is the very first player in the round. Therefore the 1.10 grade would be handed to the best player in the first round of the draft, which would of course be the best player in the entire draft.

However, this grade, regardless of grading system, will no doubt take into account each of the items we discussed before. How that player fills a need might bump a guy from a 1.15 (middle of first round), up to a 1.13 ( Top 1/3 of the first round) grade, where as failing to fit the scheme, or play a premium position might drop a guy from a 1.12 (Top 5 player in round 1) down to a 1.18 or 1.22 type grade (where Shariff Floyd likely should have fallen on the Cowboys board in 2013). So taking the player with the highest grade available means that before the draft, when you are not in the heat of the moment, you have taken things like your self evaluation of your team, your projection of the prospects' talent, their fit in your schemes, whether they are the RKG, their medical condition and any other information you obtain into account in your slotting of those players. Then when you get to your pick in the draft, you've already got guys in position where you feel comfortable taking them, and it's not based on some partial evaluation or short sighted criteria, like the best talent available or a pure team need.

SB Nation: Blogging The Boys

clwb419 #874497 04/21/14 05:32 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I like what you've done. I see Gilbert solving a very real problem. Picking up additional picks gives the team even more resources to move around within the draft. They can package whatever they need to in order to get a QB. Regarding selection of a QB it can't be about one specific player. Of course they have their #1 target but they must be prepared with an alternative or the entire draft could unravel.

W
2nd String
2nd String
W
Quote:

I totally Agree! I don't think Any of the QBs are in the top 4 picks. If this happens, we will have a Multitude of good trades available and can still get a Top Player! JMHO Go Brownies!!!!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You nor I know how Farmer has these QBs rated, all I am saying is that If we don't draft one at 4 it's not gonna be the end of the world. You don't take a QB just to take a QB, if that were the case you would draft one every round and hope that you hit on one. If Farmer passes on all the QBs and drafts Mack or Matthews or Watkins I have no problem with that if those players are rated higher then the QBs on his board.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #874500 04/22/14 09:34 AM
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

You nor I know how Farmer has these QBs rated, all I am saying is that If we don't draft one at 4 it's not gonna be the end of the world. You don't take a QB just to take a QB, if that were the case you would draft one every round and hope that you hit on one. If Farmer passes on all the QBs and drafts Mack or Matthews or Watkins I have no problem with that if those players are rated higher then the QBs on his board.

Oh, I agree whole heartily...

I have Manziel and Bridgewater rated top overall, but if both are gone, I certainly wouldn't take Bortles or Carr, just to take a QB...I would then move to my next highest player, which is Watkins..If he is gone, then I am in real trouble because my next two players are OTs and I feel that would be a waste of a pick with Joe Thomas anchoring this offensive line...But I would in the end feel compelled to take one of them.

That is my nightmare scenario, which most of you don't believe can even happen...

1. Manziel to the Texans
2. Bridgewater, whoever trades up to get him
3. Jaguars not being able to resist Watkins

OR the Rams take Watkins and the Jaguars take Bridgewater...

Either way, if Manziel is the first name off the board, my heart will sink.

C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

1. Manziel to the Texans
2. Bridgewater, whoever trades up to get him
3. Jaguars not being able to resist Watkins

I see <1% chance of this happening. Manziel may go to the Texans, but I think that he'd be 4th on their board behind Clowney, Mack, and Bortles. With all the bad press and a few front office people stating that Bridgewater has issues and is not top 10, he doesn't go number 2. If someone trades up to #2 it is for Watkins, Clowney, or Mack. And the Jags will go Clowney if he's there, simple as that.

I see Clowney going #1 to either Texans, Jags, or Oakland and I think Houston knows that trading to either of those teams is a good possibility if they're willing to take a little less than going rate. Then Houston still likely ends up with Bortles or Mack. with Manziel as a fallback option.

clwb419 #874502 04/22/14 11:18 AM
2nd String
2nd String
Quote:

With all the bad press and a few front office people stating that Bridgewater has issues and is not top 10, he doesn't go number 2.

Do you honestly think a NFL GM really care about bad press? Really?

What front office people have come out on any of these shows to say this about Bridgewater?

Oh, you mean the "certain person in a certain division front office" source that has never been named?

1) These guys throw around these "sources" like they have a seat at the table of NFL war rooms. It means nothing anymore, because, seemingly every person in the business has their source and no one has to reveal a source so it doesn't even matter if they ever had a source to begin with.

2) There is absolutely no front office in this league that will "leak" information revealing exactly what they feel about a candidate. So said "source" if real or not real, is a bad source to begin with.

You guys who blindly listen to anything in the media at this time of year entertain me...I can't help but answer your posts blindly as well, just to feed the fire...I have nothing better to do as it pertains to the draft for another 2 and half weeks anyway.

I can't wait to start "debating" the actual picks with you all...should be more fun.

Last edited by IrishDawg42; 04/22/14 11:23 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Refs around here don't have much tolerance for masked profanity. I'd take that out of your post before they see it, or it's likely you won't be around here to 'debate the actual picks with us'

Just a heads up for you.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Refs around here don't have much tolerance for masked profanity. I'd take that out of your post before they see it, or it's likely you won't be around here to 'debate the actual picks with us'

Just a heads up for you.

Just my two cents, but masked profanity is worse than actual profanity. Not only do you look vulgar, but you also look stupid.

2nd String
2nd String
Thank you, point taken...apologies all around...

C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Here's a few;. Some are former front office, some are people who talked to front office folks.

Quote:

“Let me be clear: This is the top-rated quarterback on my Big Board, a player I have rated higher than Bortles, Manziel or Carr,” Kiper wrote. “But my reading of the tea leaves in speaking with many evaluators around the league is that Bridgewater could drop if he slides past a couple of points early on.

Quote:

But according to one former NFL front office executive, ex-Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik, the former Louisville quarterback’s stock has been slipping since before his pro day one month ago.

“There were things you saw on tape when you watched him,” Dominik said on ESPN’s “NFL Insiders,” where he is now an analyst. “Something that scouts internally, we talked about it in Tampa with Teddy Bridgewater last year. Is he really the premier quarterback? I like the young man, I think he’s a quality individual, he’s got character and leadership and those things. But this is a quarterback, and you’re judged by what quarterback you draft, and I think Teddy Bridgewater might not have all the pieces you’re looking for.”

Quote:

Dominik’s comments are similar to those of another former GM, Phil Savage, who was with the Cleveland Browns from 2005-08.

“I think the media has Teddy Bridgewater in the top 10, but around league circles he’s more like a late first, early second-round pick,” Savage said Thursday on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

Quote:

"We had him at No. 1 during the season," said Walter Cherepinsky, founder of WalterFootball.com, but "we haven't spoken to a team that's been high on him. It's insane. Probably the most surprising thing is we talked to one NFC guy whose team doesn't need a quarterback. He has no reason to lie. And he has Bridgewater as a fourth-round prospect."

I'll trust these guys and their sources or "sources" any day before a fan that I don't know anything about (no disrespect intended). They actually do talk with GMs and scouts, and get information from these guys, as they've built trust with them. And as far as I'm concerned anyone who would be disappointing with Manziel name being first off the board should be fan of the team taking him. Browns fans should be celebrating.

clwb419 #874507 04/22/14 12:05 PM
2nd String
2nd String
Why don't we get Mike Lombardi's opinion?

You want another Phil Savage Quote? Difference this is in January before a pro day "ruined" his stock...

Quote:

Steve asked Phil about whether or not the Ravens would take a QB with their first round pick, because of the Ozzie loving Teddy Bridgewater rumors. Phil said he would be extremely shocked if the Ravens took a quarterback because the Ravens have many other issues and Flacco would be helped by fixing those issues. Phil said if you want to go that route you could probably trade Flacco but that won’t happen. . Phil believes all 3 underclassmen QBs will go in the top 5 picks of the draft

Mark Dominik was brought into the league as a Pro Personnel man and was in that capacity until becoming GM of the Buccaneers. He never was a scout, never worked with the scouts on a daily basis, he had no experience in this capacity until becoming a GM...

Then this happened:

Quote:

In Dominik's tenure as GM, the Buccaneers went 28-52 with only one winning season and no playoff appearances. On December 30, 2013, Dominik was fired along with head coach Greg Schiano following a 4-12 season.[2]

Walter Chepinsky owns a website that reqtires him to get sponsors to make money. He is in charge of getting us all to come back to his website on a daily basis to keep those sponsors writing paychecks to him. While I do like his site a great deal to help identify prospects to go watch film on, what he "writes" is propaganda to get people coming back for more...

Mel Kiper...really? I can't even respond to that one...

Last edited by IrishDawg42; 04/22/14 12:07 PM.
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
The difference between the guys I quoted and you are that they actually talk to people in the league and can get their thoughts and opinions. I have no clue where you pull your info from.

No matter what I say, you'll find something to refute it. You opinion it your opinion and obviously anything different from it is wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 CLWB419 Mock 1

Link Copied to Clipboard