Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#874829 04/22/14 04:37 PM
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Some negative stuff on this board, and certainly the other media outlets, has caused me to think. What is different now, what is clearly more positive now, than its been since the expansion? What are the reasons for optimism?

* Best receiver since the expansion
* Best young tight end " " "
* Offensive line is better than its been since the expansion
* Defensive line is better " " "
* Better corner play " " "
* Coaching? Can Pettine possibly coach at a lower level than Palmer, Romeo, Shurmur, and Chud? (Butch did a pretty good job for a year)

Should I be positive about this fall? Should I mope and assume my position as a loser?

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not more than 5 wins since 2007, no playoff appearances during 4 regime changes.

Legend
Legend
There probably wasn't a time in the last 10 years where we couldn't have listed 5 or 6 things that make us believe.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm in a "wait and see" mode. Does there have to be a side? Do people have to assume one extreme or the other?

I say no. I'm not optimistic nor pessimistic. I'm in the "show me" mode. I don't believe in illusions or promises, just results.

I don't see anything unrealistic about that position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's hard for an Egg to become a Bird..

But an Egg can't learn to fly..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We don't have a Quarterback.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I'm not optimistic nor pessimistic. I'm in the "show me" mode. I don't believe in illusions or promises, just results.

I don't see anything unrealistic about that position.

Nor me, and about sums up my views too.

Legend
Legend
Why be positive?

Joe Thomas
Alex Mack
Ben Tate
Josh Gordon
Jordan Cameron
Des Bryant
htyba Rubin
Phil Taylor
Jabaal Sheard
Paul Kruger
Karlos Dansby
Donte Whitner
Joe Haden

Those are "for starters". (as in, all are starters)

Then add in guys like ...

Hawkins
Winn
Hughes
Hoyer
Mingo

These guys are all key backups.

That's 18 members of the roster. The starters, and most of the backups are players who could be, at least, backups on other teams. We don't have those total scrubs, where free agency would hit and teams would run from any Browns players on the list. We actually have players that other teams would like to have, and some that other teams actually wish they had. Some of our players are actually best at their position in the AFCN. Considering that we struggledalong for so long with substandard talent, this alone ,makes me positive.

We also have 10 draft picks coming in this deep draft.

I am excited because this is the most talent I have seen on a Browns team in decades. We need to find that elusive QB, and if we do, what this team suddenly become a damn good team.

To me, that's positive.

Anyone who wants to be down is welcome to be ..... I'm going to remain up till there's no reason to be.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Because I saw a team last season that was a QB away from being good enough to hang with anyone.

BpG #874838 04/22/14 06:39 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Not more than 5 wins since 2007, no playoff appearances during 4 regime changes.

Hey now, we've had 23 wins since 2007!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not feeling as negative this year as I usually do, but I agree with Pit.

Show me some wins, then I'll get excited.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Should I be positive about this fall?

Yes.

1. No Rob Chudzinski.
2. No Pat Shurmur
3. No Eric Mangini
4. No Mike Holmgren
5. No Tom Heckert
6. No Brandon Weeden
7. No Jason Campbell
8. No Davone Bess
9. No D'Qwell Jackson

That's 9 reasons - and I could add quite a few more but I want to save my time, my fingers, and my mind.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Your #6 is the biggest reason.

cfrs15 #874842 04/22/14 07:21 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Your #6 is the biggest reason.

I could have added... No Randy Lerner and the other two front office guys that raise all kinds of ire around these parts. I thought it was best to leave them unmentioned.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Because I saw a team last season that was a QB away from being good enough to hang with anyone.

Well, solid QB play and a D that didn't collapse..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why be positive? Well, the draft is comin' up and that's like Christmas to a lot of us.

And of course we are not actually playing yet, so it's nice to feel those positive vibes we all have for this coming season...... Keepin' things positive, BEFORE THE ACTUAL SEASON STARTS (rolls dramatic, end-of-the world music ) when we know all-too-often what actually happens every friggin' year. (Me-oh-my!)

Hopefully we will have a winning season this year. Long overdue.'The law of averages says......' Right?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am in a wait and see approach.

I have liked some of the early moves. I question some others. And I have concerns about ignoring certain areas of the team.

My biggest concern going forward is that I really don't trust Farmer and Pettine to pick the right qb. I hope they prove me wrong.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

1. No Rob Chudzinski.
2. No Pat Shurmur
3. No Eric Mangini
4. No Mike Holmgren
5. No Tom Heckert
6. No Brandon Weeden
7. No Jason Campbell
8. No Davone Bess
9. No D'Qwell Jackson

That's 9 reasons - and I could add quite a few more but I want to save my time, my fingers, and my mind.

10. No logos on the helmets

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I am in a wait and see approach.

I have liked some of the early moves. I question some others. And I have concerns about ignoring certain areas of the team.

My biggest concern going forward is that I really don't trust Farmer and Pettine to pick the right qb. I hope they prove me wrong.

I think any reasonable person is in wait and see mode. But there's lots of unreasonable people on this forum. I personally hold little hope frankly. I'm not being cynical just for the sake of it. I just don't hold hope or disillusionment anymore until I see the product. Everything else is chatter and noise.

As far as picking the right QB... I'm not certain there is one. I'm not certain there isn't either but what armchair player scouting I've done this year has produced a lot of "meh" IMHO. Bridgewater is still about the only 1st rounder and I think in other drafts he'd still be the 3rd or 4th QB taken. Bortles worries me greatly, Manziel is just NO and it has nothing to do with his attitude or ego or whatever. He and Carr are just marginal talents as pure QB's. All these 2nd thru 4th round QB's look the part of future backups to me. Our need is truly desperate so should pick the best guy we can where the value is but I just know if there's even one potential franchise guy in this years crop. There have been years when no one turned out to be any good. 2006 & 2007 produced only Cutler and Trent Edwards and dozens of washouts including our fair Brady Quinn.I thinking hitting on a QB this year is going to be 20% due diligence and smarts and 80% dumb luck.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Some negative stuff on this board, and certainly the other media outlets, has caused me to think. What is different now, what is clearly more positive now, than its been since the expansion? What are the reasons for optimism? ...

Law of averages will catch up with us eventually??

#874849 04/22/14 11:58 PM
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Why be positive? Well, the draft is comin' up and that's like Christmas to a lot of us. ...

More like New Year's Eve.

The hangover comes the next day ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My biggest reason to be positive? Banner and Lombardi went buh bye....

There are a number of reasons one could despair, but what good would it do? We'll just have to wait and see what Farmer and Pettine accomplish. Most of us HOPE they know what they're doing and finally bring us a winner. But until the season starts and we see what the team looks like, there's nothing to really judge them by.
The draft will be over soon, and then it's a LONG wait until camp starts at the end of July....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

1. No Rob Chudzinski.
2. No Pat Shurmur
3. No Eric Mangini
4. No Mike Holmgren
5. No Tom Heckert
6. No Brandon Weeden
7. No Jason Campbell
8. No Davone Bess
9. No D'Qwell Jackson

10. No logos on the helmets

+1

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hawkins
Winn
Hughes
Hoyer
Mingo

If Hoyer is a key backup, who is he backing up?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I AM positive. I AM a fan. It's my job, after all.

I am more positive because some folks who lost us games are gone, sent packing. Some holes have been filled, at least on paper. I have seen Draft Day. And we will have a number of picks to help ourselves in the draft. Banner and Lombardi are gone, and Farmer seems to be a real football guy.

With some reasons to lose gone, and some reasons to win brought in, I am optimistic for now. Go ahead. Make me cheer; I dare ya.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Why Be Negative?

This is supposed to be entertainment.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have been having extremely lucid dreams of late. I dreamt (is dreamt a word?) that with our 4th overall pick we took some QB that left everyone embarrassed for us. That "Oh my god, what are they doing?" Brandon Weeden when David Decastro is on the board kind of what the heck, pick.

Then we took Teddy Bridgewater with our #26th pick.

haha it was a weird dream, but that feeling of "Oh my god, please tell me this is a joke" was all too familiar unfortunately.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Hawkins
Winn
Hughes
Hoyer
Mingo

Maybe I should have said that they are "at least" key backups.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
mac #874857 04/23/14 12:02 PM
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Why be positive?....

Well, slowly, regardless of how bad management or the coaching has been, some of the players have developed into good football players and they know they are capable of winning.

The talent pool is growing and with the addition of some veteran free agents in 2014 and the upcoming draft, the talent level is as good as it has been since the team returned in 99.

With the resent changes in the Browns management structure and another change in the coaching staff, I'm optimistic that ownership may have finally gotten it right.

I'm not about to have unrealistic expectations though because I know it will take longer for the players to digest the newest playbooks on offense and defense.

Speaking only for myself, I have a lot to be positive about this season.

Barry Bonds Check
Roger Clemens Check
Mark McGuire Check
Lance Armstrong Check

71-79 Steelers Taboo
(Lets pretend it didn't happen.)
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Hawkins
Winn
Hughes
Hoyer
Mingo

Everybody likes Hoyer, even those who don't think he is the future starting QB, they still like the guy.... and everybody wants to keep liking him... and in Cleveland, if you want to be liked, the best place to be is the back-up QB for the Browns... that is until the starter gets hurt.

yebat' Putin
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I don't think since the collapse of 2008 Derrick Anderson have I gone into a season thinking our QB might not be attrocious.

No Weeden is the biggest difference between this season and last. The hardest part of being a fan is having endless debates over whether a bad player is truly bad or if it is circumstance. The problem usually is that they are bad and not entertaining at the same time. I feel like if Hoyer doesn't play well this season, he'll at least be entertaining.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Weeden is gone,and that's enough for me...lolol

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Because Johnny Football will be a Brown in two weeks.

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Every Browns fan in the country is going to be glued to their set on draft night.

This is a big one.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Every Browns fan in the country is going to be glued to their set on draft night.

This is a big one.

Yep..Can't get here soon enough for me.This draft is going to determine the fate of our franchise.They have to come away with 3 impact players at a minimum.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

If that is true, then our desperation and misery will continue. And ppl will say the same ole Browns for a couple of more years.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

No. I would cry. Well, unless we got him with the 26th pick.

Sammy Watkins at #4 please. Grab Carr, Teddy, Savage, Garoppolo or Mettenberger with 26 or later selection.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Now I have a reason to be negative. The Browns replaced Bernie Kosar for their preseason broadcasts. With Solomon Wilcots of all people. The guy played for the Bengals and Steelers! He is always hating on the Browns. So they replace a local hero with a guy who played for the enemy? Great move guys!

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

With Solomon Wilcots of all people.

That's a drag... I hate that man's commentating.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Why Be Positive?

Link Copied to Clipboard