Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Exactly. There is far too much federal control. Our country would be a lot better off if administration was more local.

Yeah Jim Crow laws were so cool and the locals were a lot better off. The Federal Government needs the power to correct states when they step out of line and they regularly do so, I'm looking at you Arizona.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I don't think anyone was saying that because she's in no capacity to do anything like waterboarding. What people are saying that it's in poor taste.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. There is far too much federal control. Our country would be a lot better off if administration was more local.

Yeah Jim Crow laws were so cool and the locals were a lot better off. The Federal Government needs the power to correct states when they step out of line and they regularly do so, I'm looking at you Arizona.

And States need to be able to correct the Feds. You are pointing pack 50 years or more......how about staying a bit current?

I am kind of like our founding fathers....I think voting is a earned right. I don't think any simpleton should have the right to vote.

I may not say you need to be a property owner to vote, but I don't think people who are chronically on public assistance should be able to vote.

It becomes too easy to vote for the person who promises more and not the person who responsibly tells us we need to cut back.

Keep your eye on Arizona.....you might learn something. Arizona was the 48th state and last of the contiguous states admitted to the Union . 1912 if my history recalls correctly.

It would be a bit ironic if they were the first to petition to leave.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
There's really not a limit on how many times States screw up, especially when it comes to racial issues. It's not even debatable. I mean, Michigan just banned affirmative action. Arizona last year just banned Ethnic studies in high schools despite everyone calling against it.

Yeah, you don't need to go 50 years back to see how screwed up States are, because they're still screwed up.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

And States need to be able to correct the Feds. You are pointing pack 50 years or more......how about staying a bit current?

Jim Crow are just the easiest to point to but for more current how about: Gay Rights? Immigration Rights? Healthcare? need I go on?

Quote:

I may not say you need to be a property owner to vote, but I don't think people who are chronically on public assistance should be able to vote.

The better question is why are they chronically on public assistance? The best is...how do we get them off of it? Higher Minimum Wages? A New updated Fair Labor Standards Act? Free Undergrad? I firmly believe most cases of economic status are an entrenchment only a few ever escape. And you know as well as I do you cannot deny someone a fundamental constitutional right on the basis of Wealth.

Quote:

It becomes too easy to vote for the person who promises more and not the person who responsibly tells us we need to cut back.

Completely agree and it's proven by the Military Industrial Complex, lobbyist and Super-PACs. The Supreme Court has destroyed campaign finance restrictions and made running for offical RPO...Rich people only.

Quote:

Keep your eye on Arizona.....you might learn something. Arizona was the 48th state and last of the contiguous states admitted to the Union . 1912 if my history recalls correctly.
It would be a bit ironic if they were the first to petition to leave.

Worked out great the last time it was tried and you bet your life this Ohio son would fight for the Union.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I am kind of like our founding fathers....I think voting is a earned right. I don't think any simpleton should have the right to vote.

Couldn't disagree more. This is an opinion of privilege and power.

If I said that voting should be limited to those who hold a four-year degree, would you agree?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Some think voting should be a privilege but owning a gun is a right.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

its easy to be the tough guy and be so righteous when you don't live in a state of fear. about the only bad thing going on with christians is them being told they can't put up crosses in public places. ooooooo, scary.

Tell me I will die tomorrow for my beliefs and I am ready to go. Sorry but just because we do not have a gun to our head does not mean we are not willing to die for beliefs bro.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Point taken. I would say that when Palin ran on the GOP ticket as VP, the idea of that scared the hell out of me.

I was pretty excited about it at first then something strange happened... she opened her mouth.

Meh, Republicans are in a pickle. A good amount of their voting block is extremely Reagan winged so true moderates like McCain and Mitt won't get their support at all. So to entice that bloc to vote they have to take extreme Republicans like Palin and Ryan which makes the more middle of the road Republicans not want to vote. It's a perfect mess

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Owning a gun is a right. It's spelled out in quite simple terms in the 2nd Amendment. The populace is to be armed to act as a militia when needed. And that right shall not be infringed.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I mean, Michigan just banned affirmative action.

Just a quick question. How long should a people that want to be equal have special rights? I believe it's time for all people to have equal opportunity, and they should be judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

I mean, Michigan just banned affirmative action.

Just a quick question. How long should a people that want to be equal have special rights? I believe it's time for all people to have equal opportunity, and they should be judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin.

When they can get equal opportunities. I think a good time limit should be when we start seeing no segregation in the much more affluent communities. In reality the only way for minorities to have equal opportunities is to help them up as white males have destroyed all minority groups on their rise to the top. I get why you wouldn't be a fan of AA as now everyone is playing on a somewhat equal field which makes it tougher for you to get a job, however please don't appropriate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr quotes to do that.

Legend
Legend
Some white males are guilty as charged bro, yet many white males are not, Why do you feel the need to lump us all together? Also many black males are just as guilty but why do you not mention them?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Because black males were legally unable to own property in half of the country just 150 years ago. I'm not even saying that white males are dominating everyone right now either. I'm just saying that white males have been set up since this nation was founded to succeed on others backs. It's not your fault at all and you're not getting discriminated for it now. And while it seems like discrimination on many whites, it's not. It's just helping minorities out by giving them an equal chance to compete with the institutions to help out primarily white communities.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I believe it's time for all people to have equal opportunity, and they should be judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin.

: "You do not take a person, who for years, has been hobbled by chains and liberate him, bring him up to the starting line of a race and then say 'you are free to compete with all the others,' and still believe that you have been completely fair."

-Lyndon Johnson

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Both are rights.

Everyone has a right to vote, even those who blindly follow one party of the other without ever examining what those parties are doing. Even those who have no clue what candidates actually (supposedly) stand for, and/or what their records are get a vote. Those who vote national interest, and those who vote self interest each get the same right to a vote. Frankly, that's probably why we're in the mess we're in. Too many voting their own self interest without any concern whatsoever for the interests of the country at large, and too many vote a particular candidate because he's "cool" or popular..

I always have to laugh when people go out for man on the street bits, and reverse a candidate's positions and ask people if that's why they support him. It is amazing, and unconscionable, how many people get things like this completely wrong.However, our system allows for stupidity popularity to rule as much as rational examination of candidates or issues.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Owning a gun is a right. It's spelled out in quite simple terms in the 2nd Amendment. The populace is to be armed to act as a militia when needed. And that right shall not be infringed.

Yep, but there are those who promote gun rights, which at best is a right that's open for debate about the actual intent of the second amendment, who also believe voting is a privilege.

My statement is about the lack of logic.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Yep, but there are those who promote gun rights, which at best is a right that's open for debate about the actual intent of the second amendment, who also believe voting is a privilege.

Gun rights as set up by the Constitution really aren't worthy of debate. they are rather clearly pointed out.

However, when it gets to the point that a certain section of our society wants both their guns and to monopolize the vote, it gets even clearer who wants all the control.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Whats is your point???

Although I believe BOTH are RIGHTS....I can argue the against your bias...

BOTH are meant to be means of controlling the Government...You see the Government is NOT supposed to control us...they are NOT supposed to rule over us...(which is EXACTLY what is happening now) We have this oligarchy coming down upon us trying to shape and form the way we live.

In order to control who goes into government, you HAVE to have knowledge of what the candidates are going to do...AND you HAVE to know the CONSEQUENCES of those actions. Most people don't. most people are self serving...short sighted...sheep. Do you really think allowing Sheeple to vote is the best way to control the government??? The giving of the right to everyone to vote with no training or instilling of knowledge of HOW to use that vote (and I am not talking about whom and what to vote for...I am talking about the process and absolute importance of understanding of knowledge needed to make that vote) is just as responsible as leaving loaded guns on the tables in a pre-school.

And concerning guns...The founding fathers put the 2nd amendment in place for one reason and one reason only. To give the populace a means to protect itself from it's own government and if necessary, overthrow it. This is why militias are explicitly cited. It has nothing to do with home protection nor hunting...although those are advantages that stem from it. And there were NO restrictions. When they wrote this, any person could own the highest technology of the time. Cannons, and even future Gatling guns were all in play. And it was NOT to be infringed!!! That means if someone today wants to own a machine gun, they should be allowed. It doesn't mean they should be allowed to hunt with it....it doesn't mean there can't be consequences for using it....But they should be allowed to own it...and if the time ever came where the government became too oppressive...They would have a means to protect themselves and reclaim their government in the coming fight.

That just scares the bejebus out of you doesn't it.....

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Semantics... they are both rights, they are both privileges... If you meet certain minimum requirements you can own a gun and you can vote... that makes it a right... however if you violate certain laws the right to both can be taken away from you, that makes them privileges..

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
So then is it those who promote a smaller government who propose we extend the hand of government to set up some kind of nation wide testing to insure which voters qualify to vote and those who don't?

Edit; sorry, I meant this for Pete 314

Last edited by PitDAWG; 04/30/14 10:40 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Because black males were legally unable to own property in half of the country just 150 years ago. I'm not even saying that white males are dominating everyone right now either. I'm just saying that white males have been set up since this nation was founded to succeed on others backs. It's not your fault at all and you're not getting discriminated for it now. And while it seems like discrimination on many whites, it's not. It's just helping minorities out by giving them an equal chance to compete with the institutions to help out primarily white communities.

Picking and choosing employment/housing/college candidates based on race is discrimination, plain and simple. Afirmitive Action's time has passed. If there is obvious discrimination by any institution after AA is removed, it should be handled through the courts.

Legend
Legend
I have no idea who is promoting that.. My belief is that as long as Americans vote without being informed, believe the obvious campaign lies they are told, then fail to hold their officials accountable for not living up to their promises.. then they get what they deserve.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I have no idea who is promoting that.. My belief is that as long as Americans vote without being informed, believe the obvious campaign lies they are told, then fail to hold their officials accountable for not living up to their promises.. then they get what they deserve.

I believe that's an ongoing problem that exists with almost everyone on some level though. While some lies sound more believable than others, it has still been happening for a very long time no matter how informed the voter.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What part of, 'A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed' is open to debate? When this was written, we the people were the militia. We still are. We the people are still charged with our own protection, and the protection of this country. We are the first line of defense. It doesn't matter how many police, military, or any other paramilitary forces there are, the protection of this country is still under 'the people'.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

however please don't appropriate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr quotes to do that.

Why, am I not qualified to use them? I believe my expressed opinion is exactly what MLK Jr wanted, a land where color doesn't matter. Afirmative Action does not do that, as it requires color to be a consideration before any other factor.

Has race relations gotten any better now that we are labeleing people with hypens instead of considering all of us Americans. The sooner we are all Amercians, instead of Hyphenland-Americans, we will be closer to MLKs dream. Most people forget that at one time in this country, Irish Need Not Apply signs were everywhere, Germantowns were set up as a place to keep Germans, and Little Italys were formed to keep the Italians segregated. If you want to really put an end to discrimination, the best thing to do is get rid of the labels.

I actually really feel left out that there is no "German-Welsh-Cherokee-American" box on all the government forms, and all I'm ever refered to is 'white'.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

So then is it those who promote a smaller government who propose we extend the hand of government to set up some kind of nation wide testing to insure which voters qualify to vote and those who don't?

Edit; sorry, I meant this for Pete 314

Yeah...I don't exactly have an answer to that one...LOL But the first step towards recovery is recognizing/admitting there is a problem....Right???

In all actuality...in this age of voting against someone instead of for someone....I would actually prefer a Borda Count voting system. This allows you to make a 1st choice, 2nd choice, and even a 3rd choice....(depending on how you set it up)....Point systems are applied to each choice and then the candidate with the most points wins. This could help smaller parties candidates where people would like to vote FOR them..however they feel if they do their vote is wasted because they know in the current political climate they know their candidate has no chance of winning.....so they then vote for the larger party guy in order to beat the OTHER larger party guy....

In the Borda system you could vote for your smaller candidate first and then still vote for the larger party guy second in order to back up your vote so to say against the other larger party sweeping through.

The system is not infallible ...no system is...but as long as the number of candidates are controlled as well as the number of levels to which you can vote....I think it is one of the better systems.

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Who is Affirmative Action discriminating against? Can you just name one person?

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Im way late and behind on this in this thread...but

that is my mistake...I made a complete assumption, and when I read it...I went right there...terrorist...

I was kinda assuming, in that since she said baptize...she was saying that the terrorist wasn't Christian, and in the realm of terror...Islamic terrorists are the most prevalent and fit that bill?

Either way...shame on my and ooops on my part.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Yeah...I don't exactly have an answer to that one...LOL But the first step towards recovery is recognizing/admitting there is a problem....Right???

Well that train of thought doesn't seem to be working out so well with health care.

Quote:

In all actuality...in this age of voting against someone instead of for someone....I would actually prefer a Borda Count voting system. This allows you to make a 1st choice, 2nd choice, and even a 3rd choice....(depending on how you set it up)....Point systems are applied to each choice and then the candidate with the most points wins. This could help smaller parties candidates where people would like to vote FOR them..however they feel if they do their vote is wasted because they know in the current political climate they know their candidate has no chance of winning.....so they then vote for the larger party guy in order to beat the OTHER larger party guy....

In the Borda system you could vote for your smaller candidate first and then still vote for the larger party guy second in order to back up your vote so to say against the other larger party sweeping through.

The system is not infallible ...no system is...but as long as the number of candidates are controlled as well as the number of levels to which you can vote....I think it is one of the better systems.

I won't debate your suggested system even though it sounds more like an NFL draft board than an election process.

I would say considering all of the complexities already involved in the voting process, I believe making it more complicated would only muddy the waters.

I don't really see how your idea would address qualified voters from unqualified voters which is what I thought the discussion was about?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Any person, regardless of race who has been turned down at a university that someone who has a lesser score was permitted. That same could apply for a job opportunity when taking the Civil Service Exam.

Discrimination doesn't work one way.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Quote:

Well that train of thought doesn't seem to be working out so well with health care.

You got THAT right!!! Let me tell what I wen through yesterday.

I am expecting a package...should have been here Friday...place I got it from says it shipped...Tracking number for the USPS says they got the electronic info on the 23rd (last Wed) but no update after that...so I call them up (yeah I know...BIG mistake) Their automated system will not send you to customer service...It told me the same thing the tracking site said....I wanted to see if I could get an investigation started...But this automated system kept taking you in circles and would not let you get to customer service...After about 4 calls I finally tricked this thing into transferring me to customer service....I was on hold for 2 HOURS and then it hung up on me....Lets see...USPS, BMV, Medicare, Medicaid...Social Security.....Oh yeah I am sure the GOverment will do a GREAT job with Healthcare

Quote:

Quote:

I won't debate your suggested system even though it sounds more like an NFL draft board than an election process.

I would say considering all of the complexities already involved in the voting process, I believe making it more complicated would only muddy the waters.

I don't really see how your idea would address qualified voters from unqualified voters which is what I thought the discussion was about?

The complexity is a valid point...However, concerning your other thought, I think this method would help weed those people out in the primaries before they made it to the larger election...and I also think when voting for people...it shouldn't be to difficult to program in who is your first choice....do you have a second choice....who? etc. and it isn't needed for yes no votes. Now I can see it getting confusing for paper ballots and mechanical voting machines. Luckily, Ohio (at least Lake County) has a pretty good Electronic system.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You do know this leads right back around to putting the government in charge of running this, changing the laws, both parties agreeing on such a system and enacting it in a way to be successful don't you?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Just clicking

I think we need to stop electing people. we should HIRE them. that way, if we catch them running some scam, we can fire them

yea yea I know, it would be impossible to accomplish.. But I'd still like it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Any person who has ever been denied a job or college acceptance or any other opportunity to a lesser qualified person based on the color of eithers skin under AA rules..... Is it your assertion that lesser qualified minorities are not getting preferential treatment on such things?

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Yes. Lesser qualified students do not get preferential treatment. Only equally qualified students will.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Yes and no....Yes they would be running it...However they are already running it and it would simply be an alteration of how the votes are cast and counted....Granted the Government could and would make it into a much bigger problem and issue than it has to be....But it should not have to be some massive trillion dollar exercise to implement...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yes. Lesser qualified students do not get preferential treatment. Only equally qualified students will.

Ok, that is discrimination. If you take two equally qualified people and pick one based on color.. that's discrimination.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Ok, that is discrimination. If you take two equally qualified people and pick one based on color.. that's discrimination.

Exactly!! If you are looking to hire one of two equally qualified people, that are both equally affable, and both will look to improve your workplace equally, you may as well flip a coin. Their color should not ever be a consideration.

Legend
Legend
I've been in that hiring situation before where two people were pretty equal.. you don't use an arbitrary tie-breaker like color, you keep digging until you find something that sets one person apart.... But in reality, no two people are exactly the same so you can usually justify picking one over the other... one has more experience but the other has more education, one has a better GPA but the other has a better SAT...

yebat' Putin
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Sarah Palin: 'Waterboarding Is How We'd Baptize Terrorists'

Link Copied to Clipboard