Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#880585 05/08/14 11:54 PM
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
I came out and expressed that I was concerned about Ray Farmer as the new GM.

I had watched him as the personnel guy on an old series of Hard Knocks with the Chiefs.

I didn't find him impressive and couldn't see him as having the nads, big enough nads, to be successful as the GM of the Browns. You guys gave me some heat for it.

Well, I take back what I said. I publicly apologize. I was wrong.

Tonight, for the first time since the expansion, the Browns were competitive. We were smart. We were professional. We looked professional.

A first next year, an outstanding corner, and... a quarterback who can play football and has nads bigger than the GM and the Coach.

Great job Ray! Great job!

Wow

Wow

Olskool711 #880586 05/08/14 11:58 PM
Legend
Legend
Definitely a case of "So far, so very good".

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ray has a new fan...ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Olskool711 #880588 05/09/14 12:09 AM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I guarantee you if you said before the draft, the Browns would have

Manziel
Gilbert
Potential top 15 pick in 2015
4th round pick in 2015

95% of anyone would say, oh, hell yeah.....Even if both bust, I think it was ballsy and the right thing to do to go for it

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Olskool711 #880589 05/09/14 12:18 AM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
His first few moves alone made me believe he really knows what he is doing.

The Manziel thing is a lotto ticket. Hopefully it hits.

you had a good run Hank.
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
j/c

Dont' like the Manziel pick, but Farmer definitely showed tonight that he knows how to wheel & deal.

I like that.

Does anyone think tonight would've gone this well had Banner and Lombardi still been here?

I don't.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
SuperBrown #880591 05/09/14 12:33 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ray has a new fan...ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're a tough audience, SuperBrown! Glad you're onboard...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Olskool711 #880592 05/09/14 12:40 AM
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Ultimately, this draft will be judged on if (Gilbert + Bills 1st Round Pick in 2015 ) > Sammy Watkins or Mack

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
MrTed #880593 05/09/14 01:20 AM
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

j/c

Does anyone think tonight would've gone this well had Banner and Lombardi still been here?

I don't.

Ted

I think Banner deserves some credit for tonight. Ray had a lot of cards to play poker with.

A few months ago the sky wasn't falling, it had collapsed.

We were the laughing stock of sports.

As low as we possibly could go.

Now...

We are on our way. I'm telling you. We are on our way!!!

wojo_dew #880594 05/09/14 01:21 AM
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

Ultimately, this draft will be judged on if (Gilbert + Bills 1st Round Pick in 2015 ) > Sammy Watkins or Mack

Your wrong... unless we get a couple late picks future hall of famers.... this draft will be judged by taking the shot on "Johnny Football" and how much success he has.

Everything else will be a footnote

Olskool711 #880595 05/09/14 02:41 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Banner deserves some credit for tonight. Ray had a lot of cards to play poker with.

I agree with this statement.

I thought Banner did a great job in setting up this year's draft.

That said, I just don't know what that former group might have done today. I had so little time with them, It's impossible to know who they might have picked, how much dealing they would have done, or what their game plan for 2014 would be. ... and that's all predicated on the assumption that ChudNorvRay were still here.

It's enough to make my head hurt.

Those guys were a total mystery to me. I don't think I ever got a feel for what they were trying to do. That doesn't mean that they didn't have a plan; I just couldn't see it. I simply can't imagine what today would have looked like- for good or bad.

It's an interesting question... but it's one I won't give much more thought to. I'm quite intrigued by what the real-life Browns did today... and will spend my time chasing the new stuff.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Paco #880596 05/09/14 02:43 AM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
At least now Browns fans can know what it feels like to be Dallas fans on national media coverage. I don't think Flacco, Brees and Favre are wrong about Manziel.

Here comes the prime time games!!!

Clemdawg #880597 05/09/14 03:22 AM
Legend
Legend
Yep, Banner got us the 1st and the extra 3rd rounder we used to trade up for Manziel, and also the extra 4th rounder we still have. If Manziel turns out to be the guy for us, Banner will have been the man who got those pieces for us.

I will always be thankful to him for getting us that 1st round pick for Trent. Unfortunately Trent never turned out to be what I thought he would, and he got us far more than I would have thought possible.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Olskool711 #880598 05/09/14 05:47 AM
Legend
Legend
I have been a Ray fan since he came to Cleveland BUT as I always say we will not know about THIS draft for three years.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #880599 05/09/14 06:32 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
What a year for Ray Farmer...withdrawing his name from consideration for the Dolphins GM job, returning to Cleveland and weeks later, being named the Browns GM.

Then silencing the doubters on the first night of the draft by addressing two areas of need and setting the Browns up for the 2015 draft with an extra 1st round pick.

I think Ray did a good job !

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
GMdawg #880600 05/09/14 06:42 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Just clicking
Its nice to see your confidence and perception of a person get rewarded. Thank you Heckert, Thank you Banner/Lombardi all having a piece in our team of Destiny. Farmer started nailing this down. The Banner/Farmer combo essentially traded Trent for Manziel. Would anyone here make that trade...

I do remember during all the draft talk - I said to myself man...I really like Gilbert too bad we aren't going to take a CB at #4.

Best yet we walk away with an extra pick in the first round and possibly a better one than we will have on our own. So so happy we traded away the rights for Watkins. A good WR but nobody ever built a team of destiny by taking a WR early.

I cannot believe we got Johnny M! Oh yeah and Hoyer will start until JM is ready! Lets hope Hoyer studs a bit also we can keep him as the best back up or trade him away in the future for some GOLD!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #880601 05/09/14 07:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Just a few of my comments about Ray back in early Jan

#1108890 - Thu Jan 09 2014 10:55 PM
Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote

If the Browns let Farmer go they are 10 times dumber than they appeared when they let Chud go. What happens now will determine weather I calm down and give the front office a chance or just say the hell with it and bash them at every turn.

Quote:
Again, what has Farmer done to make her--and others---so sure that he is the next great GM?

Well he has been involved with better drafts than Lombardi has over his career.

Bro you should no by now I don't go along with the crowd I post my own thoughts and feelings based on my own thoughts and information. Not anybody else's. Farmers track record with teams he was involved with is was better than Lombardi's that's what I posted and that's what i mean. I never said he was the next Ozzie I only think the record speaks for itself and we have a chance to improve with him involved in the draft while I feel we have little chance with Lombardi involved. So please feel free to point out just what BS I posted bro.

You left me out. I was Happy when we hired him, and pissed when I thought we might lose him, and thrilled when we promoted him. I was a Farmer fan when everybody else was saying Ray who?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #880602 05/09/14 08:20 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
JC

Say what you want abut the actual players picked ( I wanted TB), but the bottom line is Farmer et al had a plan and they worked it to perfection.

Based solely on the players they targeted and their ability to get those players AND come out with another 1st, I have to be satisfied, so far.

Yeah I would like to have that 3rd back, but for some to naturally assume that pick would be a starter smacks in the face of of logic,

It seems to me that we are in good hands with this regime and there is great hope for the future....

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
GMdawg #880603 05/09/14 08:30 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No matter how it turns out, it seems there was a plan and he got it implemented. He played the draft instead of getting played by the draft.

The trade down was great (the #4 "worthy" players did not really line up with our needs, and WR is deep in this year's draft). I think Buffalo got jobbed. Atlanta moving up for Julio a few years back was different, because Julio was one of the final pieces. Watkins is good, but he will not elevate Buffalo to a new height this upcoming year. They are still #4 in the AFCE. Those picks are gold next year. Heck, for once the extra 1st round pick we have might be before our own. Good with the Gilbert pick, top cover CB. I liked how we started the run on DBs. We got the one we wanted and did not have to panic/take whoever fell to us (Denver).

And JFB was obviously the one they wanted with that 2nd pick. Again, played well. Took him at the lowest possible spot. There was talk of KC being interested so us and Minn were talking to Philly to move up. We had the better offer.

The TRich trade allowed us to not force the QB pick early in the round (Jax) and allowed the QB to come to us, or at least closer to us. So kudos the the previous FO for that.

Again, there was a plan and it came to fruition. I am down with that, big time.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Olskool711 #880604 05/09/14 08:30 AM
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
umm..it way too soon for be congratulating this guy, we don't even know if any of these picks will work out...for all we know, we just drafted Quintin Jammer and Ryan Leaf....would Farmer look so brilliant then?

Farmer will be judged by the teams record...im tired of the excuses...either Farmer wins games or I want him gone plain and simple...its put up or shut up....winners win, losers make excuses and say "wait for next year"

Show me Farmer....im waiting with my arms crossed.....you will get no accolades from me, nor do you even deserve any accolades until you win games.

The Giant Elephant is still in the room....our Offensive Guards suck! Both of them are horrid...they ar enot even NFL quality....if Farmer has half a brain he will try to fix this, or he will get his small prized QB killed back there....thats a fact jack...our guards are just freaking awful!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I agree...1 round of 1 draft. Remember how much everyone loved savage there for a while. Lets at least get through the entire draft before we crown this guy the king of Cleveland.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
too soon to congratulate but not too soon to criticize... Lets see if they dont target Bitonio or others, there are several good OG 's on the board.

Persaonlly I am going to retire my "The Three Stoogies" shirt and replace it with "the Three Wisemen"

#gmstrong

A
aej Offline
Rookie
Rookie
A
cant do any worse than the brilliant move of weeden and richardson hhuh?

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Quote:

too soon to congratulate but not too soon to criticize... Lets see if they dont target Bitonio or others, there are several good OG 's on the board.

Persaonlly I am going to retire my "The Three Stoogies" shirt and replace it with "the Three Wisemen"

To be fair, only one of THOSE stooges is left. We'll see if Banner/Lombardi are replaced. Haslam still can dig himself out of Stooge status.

#gmstrong
Olskool711 #880609 05/09/14 09:27 AM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Very impressive. Even if Manziel busts, the way we were agressive and went out to get our guys was the most impressive mastery of the draft I've seen from the Browns since our return.

BpG #880610 05/09/14 09:37 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Very impressive. Even if Manziel busts, the way we were agressive and went out to get our guys was the most impressive mastery of the draft I've seen from the Browns since our return.

Yep that's what gets me .... we can argue if player A is better than Player B, but the way they orchestrated that first round was a thing of beauty.

Its nice to have some brains running the plan

#gmstrong

eotab #880611 05/09/14 09:52 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Best yet we walk away with an extra pick in the first round and possibly a better one than we will have on our own. So so happy we traded away the rights for Watkins. A good WR but nobody ever built a team of destiny by taking a WR early.

Agreed...How many attempts did it take Detroit before it finally worked out for them? And it's still not really paying dividends.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
BpG #880612 05/09/14 09:59 AM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
While all the trades over the years haven't quite worked out in our favor..

Over the last decade the browns must be undeniably the most active traders in the NFL draft. It must be so boring to be one of those teams where you go "we're picking 15th, that means we'll be picking 15th". Browns fans live for the draft for reasons besides our team stinking, our drafts are always interesting. (except mingo, what a snorefest )

BpG #880613 05/09/14 11:51 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yeah, I agree.

I look at what the browns did in free agency, and I am very happy with his work there. I think that he filled every hole. Maybe he didn't plug in All Pros at every position, but those guys aren't exactly filling up the free agent roles. However, he did add 3 starters, and plus level starters at that, in Dansby, Whitner, and Tate. He then also added a key backup/starter in key packages in Hawkins.

So far he has added a likely day 1 starter at CB in Gilbert, a pick I absolutely love ...... and our QB of the future. I have some reservations about Manziel, but they decided which flawed QB in this draft had the biggest upside, decided it was Manziel, and manipulated the draft to go get him. I cannot argue with him about that. Oh, and he also added a 1st and 4th for next year.

It certainly appears that the draft wasn't to big for Farmer. It sure seems like he was able to handle maintaining his board, while moving throughout the 1st round, seemingly at will.

This team had 3 gaping holes entering the draft, with 2 of then being wide spanning chasms with no talent to fill them with. Well, we added the kid who just might be the best cover CB in the draft .... a guy who is a big corner with speed ......... and also then added the QB that many people wanted him to take at 4. That's working the draft. Even if Manziel busts, he was worth the shot where he was taken. I probably would have gone safer and taken Bridgewater ..... but Manziel does have huge talent. Hopefully he works out for us... finally giving us a QB we can rely on.

I am extremely impressed with what Farmer did yesterday. He seems to have a real handle on the job. Hopefully that continues in the rest of this draft. I expect that we can add 2-3 more guys today who can, at the very least, compete for starting jobs this year. I am excited to see how this unfolds over the next 2 days.

Legend
Legend
Obviously, this response is only based upon what's on paper. But I agree with you Ytown. They appear to have make a ton of good moves thus far.

To make this complete, get me a WR and some OL help/depth and I'd have to say that Farmer is (at least on paper) my hero.

we'll see.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Paco #880615 05/09/14 11:59 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Your wrong... unless we get a couple late picks future hall of famers.... this draft will be judged by taking the shot on "Johnny Football" and how much success he has.

I have to agree with that. It's well documented that, as a GM, you get a couple year grace period, but as soon as you hitch your wagon to a high draft pick QB, you future is then on the clock with the production of that QB and the team..

yebat' Putin
Damanshot #880616 05/09/14 12:53 PM
Legend
Legend
I want a WR, another CB, an ILB, and a RB. If we get those, I'll be thrilled.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would pass on your CB for an interior OL.. other than that, I agree. I think with Haden, Gilbert, Skrine, and hope that McFadden will improve, we don't need another investment in the position.. give me a 3rd round OG instead.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #880618 05/09/14 01:20 PM
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have to agree with that. It's well documented that, as a GM, you get a couple year grace period, but as soon as you hitch your wagon to a high draft pick QB, you future is then on the clock with the production of that QB and the team..

How about if Johnny busts, but we get two or three good starters? What if that happens and one makes the pro-bowl? What happens if he busts but our two first rounders next year turn the franchise around?

How about....?

Its time for football. Take these players and coach em up Pettine! Coach em up!

DCDAWGFAN #880619 05/09/14 01:36 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I would pass on your CB for an interior OL.. other than that, I agree. I think with Haden, Gilbert, Skrine, and hope that McFadden will improve, we don't need another investment in the position.. give me a 3rd round OG instead.

Haden has played 15, 11, and 15 games in the past 3 seasons. I don't want to get down to the final game of the season, competing for a playoff spot, and wind up having to plug a Ralph Brown or a Chris Owens in there.

We have a chance to solidify that unit for years to come, and we should do so. It's that important.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Why another CB? The drop is huge now, the rest are mostly developmental types, you'd have to stash on the roster imho

While this officially makes McFadden somewhat a bust, we still have him as 4th CB and while overdrafted (not his fault) he could be a fine backup nickel to Skrine with Skrine backing up CB2 Gilbert and Gilbert CB1 Haden. That's the depth I was asking for for 2 or 3 straight offseasons now. We don't need another. Maybe 6th/7th, but a bunch of UDFAs competing with Trufant, Posey etc should do it for CB5.

I'd rather double up on RB or QB, can never have enough of those...

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Olskool711 #880621 05/09/14 01:45 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I don't think Johnny defines this draft for Farmer. He was a gift from Indy and Pittsburgh. Haslam wanted him at #4 and he literally "pays off" with buzz and ticket sales. If Haslam wanted him at #4, there is no way he can complain down the road about taking him at #22 and acquiring Gilbert + that Buffalo pick in the process. Buffalo's pick will most likely be better than a #22 anyhow.

If Pettine/Shanahan fail to win the FO will be on the Hot Seat. Doesn't matter if that's b/c of Hoyer, Johnny, Tate or the kicker.

DonCoyote #880622 05/09/14 01:49 PM
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
If Pettine and Shanahan fail to win next year, I think they will get a pass.

Then, we are set up for another draft.

Then, if there isn't a dramatic turn around by the Fall 2015, heads will roll.

DjangoBrown #880623 05/09/14 02:03 PM
Legend
Legend
I gave my reasons for another CB above. I think that there will be value at the CB spot available in the 3rd round.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Haden has played 15, 11, and 15 games in the past 3 seasons. I don't want to get down to the final game of the season, competing for a playoff spot, and wind up having to plug a Ralph Brown or a Chris Owens in there.

We have a chance to solidify that unit for years to come, and we should do so. It's that important.

Fair enough, I just don't see us getting to the final game of the season with the playoffs on the line without an improved running game and to do that, we need an OG...

I guess I just don't see a "need" to draft a just-in-case CB to cover for an injury when a good OG could likely start right away..

yebat' Putin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Ray Farmer

Link Copied to Clipboard