Next Thread
Print Thread
#881107 05/09/14 02:05 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I'm making a thread because this was a theme I saw popping up all over the place (several threads and also mentioned all over my Facebook).

1st, let me get the one positive out of the way. I don't have cable, so ESPN streaming the draft live through their Xbox app was very much appreciated. I wouldn't been flipping back and forth between CBS and NFL on my phone or computer all night. Thank you, ESPN.

Ok, now that we're done with that. Sweet Liberty! Ray Lewis, Kiper, and I think Jon Gruden were B R U T A L. The best way I can sum up their coverage was that Jon Gruden was left speechless several times.

Ray "I have absolutely nothing intelligent to say, so I'm just going to string together words, because that's worked pretty well for me so far" Lewis might have been the worst. If he added something of value, I missed it while I was making fun of him for all the asinine things he was saying. How many times did he say, "I just love this guy's story". Super, Ray. Maybe you should discuss this on a Lifetime show or something. I (and pretty much everyone else) are here to watch football players being drafted by football teams. If all you're bringing to the table is "I love this kid's story" and a generic statement about how he's "had it tough", well then I guess kudos to you, because your contract with ESPN is highway robbery.

Mel Kiper. I wanted to punch him in the face as much as I wanted to duct-tape Ray's mouth shut. Seriously, what a pompous ass. He had such a stiffy for Derek Carr, so when he fell, and then Bridgewater was taken before him, you could see on TV how butt-jammed the guy was. Maybe he made a bet with Gruden about Carr vs Manziel, and now he's pissed that he has to do Gruden's laundry for him or something.

It's like these 2 guys saw the caricature of Gruden from that one comedian guy, and decided that they had to one-up that.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only time I could even stomach Lewis was talking about linebackers. Other than that it was horrible.

Legend
Legend
Kiper looked ticked off all night. Maybe Gruden or Ray said something early to tick him off, not sure but he wasn't his usual hyper self.

From what I heard, they tried to dumb it down for Ray, giving him 40 names to research and if a guy got drafted outside that 40, then he just wouldn't be asked to comment.. it did appear that his research focused more on their personal lives than their football skill set.

Gruden must have gotten tired of being ridiculed for being too in love with every player because he had some serious criticism of pretty much every player, that part was actually refreshing.. none of the players have a perfect skill set.

Overall the group just seemed to lack chemistry and didn't work well together..

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
NFL Network, guys. Save yourself the headache.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ray "I have absolutely nothing intelligent to say, so I'm just going to string together words, because that's worked pretty well for me so far"

SO FN TRUE!

Joe Thomas #73
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Ray "I have absolutely nothing intelligent to say, so I'm just going to string together words, because that's worked pretty well for me so far"

SO FN TRUE!

I guess we know why he didn't snitch.

He couldn't.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
5 minutes of ESPN and I switched to NFL network. Ray Lewis was horrid!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have been watching NFL Network 99.9% since the draft started, and yes Ray Lewis made my decision for me ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
I'm usually not that big on the NFLN.

I watched the 1st round at my brothers, and he switched to NFLN. I asked him to switch it to ESPN.

I saw Ray Lewis.

I asked him to switch it back.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I watched NFLN, but mentally tuned them out a lot over the course of the night. When they went nuts over the possibility of Manziel going to Dallas, even though it would have been an idiotic move, I couldn't stand it anymore.

"They could have a Johnny package". Yeah, that makes sense when they need help in so many other places, and they have Romo under contract for what seems like a billion dollars. with a ton of guaranteed money.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I don't have cable, so any live feed was much appreciated (I did give props to ESPN making that available via their XBox app).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I wasn't going to say anything because it was just talking heads doing what talking heads do, TALK..

But yeah, you are right, they were the worst ever..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
During round 1, Jon Gruden took his whole Chucky image to the next level....I've seen better hair on my 4-year-old's crayon drawings.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Legend
Legend
I miss the days when they only talked football about the guy who was just drafted. Then moved on to the next guy drafted.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
2nd String
2nd String
Not to mention the leader of the broadcast Chris Berman. The man cannot finish a sentence. As soon as I saw Berman I changed to the NFL Network. Eisen is sooooo much better.

Legend
Legend
Same here. Berman should have retired 10 years ago. He's not contributed anything relevant or entertaining in quite some time. I used to like him on the old Sportcenter shows way back when, but his schtick got old and he's done nothing but blow wind up people's skirts since then.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Same here. Berman should have retired 10 years ago. He's not contributed anything relevant or entertaining in quite some time. I used to like him on the old Sportcenter shows way back when, but his schtick got old and he's done nothing but blow wind up people's skirts since then.

Thought Wingo did much better for Friday-Saturday coverage. That will be his gig whenever Berman realizes he's no longer relevant in the sports media world....

I just think ESPN needs to get better people. I don't understand why they can't get one of their college football people on the crew... I thought Teddy Bruschi did a really good job.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have been watching less and less of E$PN's NFL coverage and more of the NFL Network ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well lets be honest NFLN has one thing that ESPN cant compete with, Molly Qerim

Legend
Legend
Quote:

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't know, I think Berman's toupee is pretty compelling.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...and Amber, also Nicole.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
In the immortal words of Jed Clampett, " Ray Lewis was pitiful, just pitiful".

Legend
Legend
Ray Lewis was wretched and worse than worthless. We tried to watch with the mute on (barely understood him) but just the sight of him still was atrocious. Changed to other draft coverage. Seemed to know very little, contributed nothing for viewers, just horrible. Yet the ESPN mancrush fascination continues. This was a lousy attempt to put lipstick on a pig for our money. Not ready for this, probably can't dumb it down enough for him to blather on about it.

Kiper reeally seemed upset, even after the draft, and carried on about his downgrade because of the WR issues he never left. Myopic, angry, biased. And often wrong. We have time to go fish in a variety of different ponds. Just regrettable that the need to gin up a story is that big, that unfair, and crowds out genuine draft coverage. Cover what teams aren't, huh? Remind the Kipester he may be a self-anointed draft guru in name, but he is not Farmer, a GM, an owner. I lowered my respect for him considerably.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
IMO she is better looking than Ray Lewis on her worst day. Just sayin'.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I can't say I really listened much to the draft coverage. I was actually at a mini-little draft party with one of my friends, and we had a couple different fans from teams represented. It was actually nice to have some good discussions from people that actually knew a little bit about football. Whenever I did hear Kiper and Gruden talk, it was about how they were shocked that Johnny Manziel hadn't been drafted yet.

R
All Pro
All Pro
R
BOOMER need to circle the wagons and retire. He has been bad for a few years now, But this year he was really really bad. Thank God for NFL Network with Eisen & Mayock.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
Legend
Legend
It seems like Boomer never completes a sentence. He'll begin to speak and then hesitate, pump the brakes with his hands, and start to kind of mumble ... and then someone else will take over the sentence. It's very annoying

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Y
2nd String
2nd String
Y
I enjoyed Boomer throughout the 90s, especially on NFL Primetime with Tom Jackson... but he really doesn't bring anything to the table here. I'd much rather they add a pretty face that can MC the thing effectively and toss it to the experts when expected. I don't look to Boomer for insight.

I enjoy Mel for the most part. The hair, the motor-mouth.. he's entertaining to watch. Chucky annoys me and Ray Lewis is just too green to do a good job.

I also think their format just stinks. I'm not interested in interviews or long, personal backstories. I want to see highlight reels and discussion of the draft pick until the next pick is made. That's all.

Fortunately, this year I watched in a bar so I didn't have to listen and there were plenty of distractions around when waiting for the next pick.

1st String
1st String
I thought I was going to plotz if I heard the theme song, "I'm the man, I'm the man I'm the m-a-a-a-a-a-n.." just one more time.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
1st String
1st String
And this little cut away really ticked me off. Cleveland Browns fans are homeless? Our owner takes draft advice from homeless people? Johnny was drafted only because a homeless guy advised it?

I figured there would be more uproar and outrage about this little ditty...

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
Legend
Legend
LOL I wonder if he really believed that?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

I enjoyed Boomer throughout the 90s, especially on NFL Primetime with Tom Jackson... but he really doesn't bring anything to the table here. I'd much rather they add a pretty face that can MC the thing effectively and toss it to the experts when expected. I don't look to Boomer for insight.

I enjoy Mel for the most part. The hair, the motor-mouth.. he's entertaining to watch. Chucky annoys me and Ray Lewis is just too green to do a good job.

I also think their format just stinks. I'm not interested in interviews or long, personal backstories. I want to see highlight reels and discussion of the draft pick until the next pick is made. That's all.

Fortunately, this year I watched in a bar so I didn't have to listen and there were plenty of distractions around when waiting for the next pick.

You're in luck then because I think Brady Quinn is after the job... lol

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I bought Haslam accepting the passion of the fans, and that even a homeless person passionately follows the team ...... but not that Haslam decided to draft Manziel because some homeless guy said to. (or anyone else outside of his football operations) That's a pretty long leap of logic to make.

If I were Haslam, if old Sal called to have diinner, or for an interview ...... I know what my answer would be.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I bought Haslam accepting the passion of the fans, and that even a homeless person passionately follows the team ...... but not that Haslam decided to draft Manziel because some homeless guy said to. (or anyone else outside of his football operations) That's a pretty long leap of logic to make.

If I were Haslam, if old Sal called to have diinner, or for an interview ...... I know what my answer would be.

Yeah I took that whole story to be hyperbole and a "funny little anecdote." The fact that ANYONE would think Haslam even listened to a homeless guy is ridiculous ... if the story itself is even true.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Trey Wingo was WAY WAY better than Berman.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

And this little cut away really ticked me off. Cleveland Browns fans are homeless? Our owner takes draft advice from homeless people? Johnny was drafted only because a homeless guy advised it?

I figured there would be more uproar and outrage about this little ditty...

I have to say that's as good of an explanation for why we drafted him as any I've seen to date.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I have to say that's as good of an explanation for why we drafted him as any I've seen to date.

Huh? you mean you don't think its cause he reads my signature and that had convinced him...btw I do have a home.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
R
All Pro
All Pro
R
Quote:

Yeah I took that whole story to be hyperbole and a "funny little anecdote." The fact that ANYONE would think Haslam even listened to a homeless guy is ridiculous ... if the story itself is even true.

Yeah I can't believe how many idiots, Media included, that replayed or told the story but left off the fun, playfulness that it was obviously told with.

The media today is a complete joke compared to 10-20 years ago when it was respected.

Just like during one of farmers press conferences, His first words were that" this presser is about the drafted players and the draft, we will not be commenting on any players already on our roster or injuries. " and the media continues to badger him non stop about Gordon and burleson. It was classless and ridiculous. I understand one guy/girl asking once just to see if he'll slip, but they were horrible.

"He who buys what he does not need steals from himself."
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 ESPN Crew for the NFL Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard