Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I'm so glad the store was out of Josh Gordon jerseys on Thursday! Picked up a Whitner instead.

I think, and maybe its the conspiracy side in me coming out, that Cleveland made such big waves and was looking like the smartest team on the first day that all the haters tried to find any negative news to burst our happiness balloon. They dropped two old stories at the exact moment that we all got excited. That happened for a reason. The media just sucks! They aren't pleased with themselves unless they have more news of the terrible Cleveland curse. We need to ignore the news, stop responding to it and trust the leaders of the team to make the right moves going forward.

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Dear lord, can we go at least one year without having one of our best players injured/suspended for the first few weeks of the season?

Bentley blowing out his knee, Leon racing barefoot and getting his foot stepped on, Hadden suspended, Gordon suspended x2. It just never ends. Heck, you can go all the way back to Spielman. When did Jamie Miller get hurt? Was it in preseason too?

I just wonder why I am still here rooting for them and expecting things to change.

I also question the timing of this news release. Does someone have a vendetta against the Browns?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I think, and maybe its the conspiracy side in me coming out, that Cleveland made such big waves and was looking like the smartest team on the first day that all the haters tried to find any negative news to burst our happiness balloon. They dropped two old stories at the exact moment that we all got excited. That happened for a reason. The media just sucks! They aren't pleased with themselves unless they have more news of the terrible Cleveland curse. We need to ignore the news, stop responding to it and trust the leaders of the team to make the right moves going forward.

It's absurd how much traction this nonsense is getting.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
For all you Browns fans that have children (that are at the appropriate age), this is a perfect time to show them how drugs can ruin your life.

JMHO
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... trust the leaders of the team to make the right moves going forward.

Thank you...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Well Farmer and Haslam knew for about a week...glad they stuck to their draft plan and didn't variate for a knee jerk reaction to the JERK.

I totally agree with this.

But on the business side of things, after a bazillion season tickets were sold post-Manziel draft, I am seeing a LOT of people angry w/ Haslam. I see people calling it shady that he already knew about Gordon and making Pilot/Flying J fiasco comparisons . . .

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

But on the business side of things, after a bazillion season tickets were sold post-Manziel draft, I am seeing a LOT of people angry w/ Haslam. I see people calling it shady that he already knew about Gordon and making Pilot/Flying J fiasco comparisons . . .

Does not matter when Haslam knew. Him or anybody else would not be allowed to say anything. In fact the NFL would throw the book at the Browns if they did. So I don't see the point in anybody being upset with JH or RF.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Well Farmer and Haslam knew for about a week...glad they stuck to their draft plan and didn't variate for a knee jerk reaction to the JERK.

I totally agree with this.

Really? We all knew Gordon was on his third strike. We all knew he'd probably toke up again. We all hoped he wouldn't, but he did. The FO was prepared and stuck with their plan anyway. Shows they are on the same page. Although I do wish they had notified the coaching staff on this.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm just speculating. I don't see the point in buying season tickets just because of Johnny Rag-Doll either, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if people got mad at Haslam . . .

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

This timing question is killing me, so I will attempt to answer my own question. This infraction happened a while ago, and the NFL wanted due process to run it's course. The NFL was prepared to hand down its punishment, after the draft. The Browns mad so much noise in the first round, that the NFL had to save face, nip this in the bud, and lay down sanctions now.

The NFL hasn't announced anything.

Reporters broke the story, not an NFL announcement.

I don't understand what's troubling or fishy about it.

And the NFL isn't going to announce it during the draft. This is their spectacle ...... that they moved to May to make even bigger ...... they don't want an ugly story overshadowing the draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It almost reminds me of last year, as our RB [position went from strength to "who do we have left that can carry the ball?"

Our RB position last year was never a position of strength.

Richardson sucks. McGahee is just too old and worn out. Ogbonnaya can do somethings if he can hold onto the ball. Fumbling problems were his downfall, but being put in as our fullback? That was a joke.

Maybe with Dion Lewis back (when is he due back?), they'll have a bit more depth.

In camp we had Dion lewis, who was to team with Trent Richardson to build on a solid rookie year. We had Montario Hardesty and the guy who was with the Packers in the past, whose name escapes me now. We also had Obi.

Yeah, we had RB depth in the preseason .... until we didn't anymore.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

I cannot tell you how ticked I am right now. If this proves to be true, I say this year doesn't go against his contract. Meaning if he were to be a UFA next year, now he's not. He owes us a year!

I wanna know who it was in this mans life growing up that didn't spank his ass when he needed it so he would have the character he's lacking to say no to the things he keeps getting sucked into!

What a waste of talent!

His contract is suspended for the year if he is.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I have to laugh at all of those who are acting like it's "one player". It's not. It's two. both our first and second WR. One due to weed and one due to a broken arm that is actually a re-brake. So how can we even depend on that arm moving forward?

Yet people wish to applaud a FO that ignores that?

People will find any excuse to make up things to try to rationalize this.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

He ran the full gauntlet today. Did First Take, Sports Center, Highly Questionable and another show I think. Kinda disgusted that neither the Browns or ESPN told him what's up before they paraded him out there like that.

Wow. You are blaming everyone but Gordon. Make no mistake. It's Gordon who failed multiple tests and got kicked out of two universities, was suspended for two games after one year in the pros, and is now facing at least a one-year suspension after his second year. He is to blame. No one else.

The guy is selfish. It's all about him and not his teammates. That's why I always said never count on a druggie.

Calm down there, buddy. I didn't know Gordon was informed about this 2 weeks ago when I made that post.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you...

maybe they think it wont be year long suspension?

Joe Thomas #73
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you...

maybe they think it wont be year long suspension?

didn't this happen to blackman? he had a 8 week suspension?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Blackmon had a four game suspension, and then an indefinite ban. He can apply for reinstatement after this season.

As far as indefinite drugs bans, go, there's Blackmon, Tanard Jackson (twice), and Brandon Browner.

Browner got his reduced to 4 games, but that was due to the fact that the suspension came about because he skipped NFL drug tests while playing in the CFL.

Rosenhaus is going to have to seek out some breach of protocol in the testing to win an appeal, IMO. Richard Sherman's people did it, so it's possible, but unlikely.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
ok thanks

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Question for those "in the know"................

Gordon is/was to be a Free Agent in 2016.

"WHEN" he's thrown out of the league for at least a year does his FA year extend to 2017 or does the team lose out?

Just curious.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

O
Legend
Legend
O
You guys seriously crack me up. YES Josh Gordon got popped on a whiz quiz "again". So we should immediately cut him... blah blah blah

How many of you smoke pot, or worse yet drink alcohol? I don't do either and haven't for a long time, but when I was young and dumb I did both often.

So basically what you are all saying is that we should cut ties with (BY FAR) the most talented play maker on the team because he made yet another mistake and he is obviously just a junkie (for smoking pot he is a junkie? )...

How about we wait, we be patient, we let him go through the leagues substance abuse program, maybe even get him some help or a baby sitter... BUT SEND HIM PACKING???? You guys are all nuts. You don't give up on that kind of talent that fast, no way no how.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I wouldn't think it would extend the contract unless there was specific language in the contract addressing it and Gordan signed and approved it.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
It's not about "just smoking pot" though.

It is about doing something in direct violation of the rules his employer has set forth for their employees.

I have a friend who used to smoke pot quite a bit. He managed to get a job with the USPS. They drug test regularly. His choice was pot, or a well paid job. He wisely chose the job. Gordon had the same choice, plus, football is supposedly something he really loves. How you blow up a highly paid job, that you really love, for a quick high is beyond me.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Question for those "in the know"................

Gordon is/was to be a Free Agent in 2016.

"WHEN" he's thrown out of the league for at least a year does his FA year extend to 2017 or does the team lose out?

Just curious.

I'm not sure, and IIRC, there have been some issues with players who were suspended for the year and their contract status.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I heard Grossi say that the player is "frozen in time" during his suspension - his contract goes forward where it left off upon his reinstatement.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

I heard Grossi say that the player is "frozen in time" during his suspension - his contract goes forward where it left off upon his reinstatement.

I believe this is true - remember how players in contract disputes need to end their holdout before week 9 or something - so that they get an "earned season" in and don't have to stay under the same contract.

~Lyuokdea
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

How many of you smoke pot, or worse yet drink alcohol?

I do not care that Josh Gordon smokes weed. He can smoke weed everyday for all I care.

I do care about him getting popped repeatedly for failed drug tests in a lax system that's designed to look the other way. NFL rosters are littered with guys who smoke grass, but they're smart enough to work around the player-friendly drug policy.

That fact that Gordon can't, to the extent he has, tells me all I need to know.

I wouldn't cut him, but I wouldn't be upset if we did. I'd let him play the string as a mercenary, but his days are numbered in Cleveland if this suspension comes down.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not only that, but how many people here had to quit smoking weed when they got their current job?? When I was a young guy I smoked weed regular, but when I graduated college and had to get a "real" job I quit smoking it.

A ton of professions require routine drug testing, and if you want to work for them you have to quit smoking dope.....so Gordon or any of these other people aren't required to do anything other than most of us have to do anyway.

Quit making excuses for this loser!!!

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Quote:

He ran the full gauntlet today. Did First Take, Sports Center, Highly Questionable and another show I think. Kinda disgusted that neither the Browns or ESPN told him what's up before they paraded him out there like that.

Wow. You are blaming everyone but Gordon. Make no mistake. It's Gordon who failed multiple tests and got kicked out of two universities, was suspended for two games after one year in the pros, and is now facing at least a one-year suspension after his second year. He is to blame. No one else.

The guy is selfish. It's all about him and not his teammates. That's why I always said never count on a druggie.

+1 Vers!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You guys seriously crack me up. YES Josh Gordon got popped on a whiz quiz "again". So we should immediately cut him... blah blah blah

How many of you smoke pot, or worse yet drink alcohol? I don't do either and haven't for a long time, but when I was young and dumb I did both often.

So basically what you are all saying is that we should cut ties with (BY FAR) the most talented play maker on the team because he made yet another mistake and he is obviously just a junkie (for smoking pot he is a junkie? )...

How about we wait, we be patient, we let him go through the leagues substance abuse program, maybe even get him some help or a baby sitter... BUT SEND HIM PACKING???? You guys are all nuts. You don't give up on that kind of talent that fast, no way no how.

Yeah, we should sign him to 100 million dollar extension

I've said for years weed should be legal in the NFL. Union should have traded weed testing for HGH testing in the last contract. It's legal in 2 States and 20 with prescription..... However, Gordon KNEW he was one tiny little F-up away from a years suspension. He smoked up anyway. Why? Because he doesn't CARE one bit about football. So I'm not saying cut him because of some holier than thou attitude about smoking grass. I say we cut him because we can't COUNT on him. Can't count on him to care enough to stay out of trouble. Can't count on him to be there when we need him. So cut our losses and move on..... Let him do what he seems to want. Sit around a apark up.... live off his rookie contract.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

+1 Vers!

+3

This draft is so important to these guys that they can't let ANYTHING ruin/distract/take away from the draft. The team is always better than the Jackass. Always!

Scenario: Your daughter is getting married today and a family member just got busted for something. Where's your focus?

Can't fault the FO for anything here. Anything.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Not only that, but how many people here had to quit smoking weed when they got their current job?? When I was a young guy I smoked weed regular, but when I graduated college and had to get a "real" job I quit smoking it.

A ton of professions require routine drug testing, and if you want to work for them you have to quit smoking dope.....so Gordon or any of these other people aren't required to do anything other than most of us have to do anyway.

Quit making excuses for this loser!!!

Exactly. I firmly believe weed should be legal. Like booze is. But at this time, it isn't and Gordon knew that. He also knew if he blew a doobie his football career was on the line..... he just didn't care. Cut ties with the guy and let him smoke all he wants.... He can hang with Ricky Williams

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
+1

Gordon came into the league with an injury history known as stupidity.

I am more than willing to wait a season and ride out his problems for as long as he has the potential to be the best in the league. If anything we are saving a fortune on his future contract.

We spent a 2nd rounder on the guy, same as Little, Massaquoi, Robiskie. We are only upset right now because the guy has some actual talent. At least when he gets back he'll still have that talent and we won't be trying to pray and cast voodoo spells to teach him to catch a football.

I stinks Gordon will be suspended. But it is a hell of a lot better than having Robiskie and MoMass.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

It's not a matter of whether we do the same or not because I would assume that most if not all of us can't gain millions of dollars and an NFL career if we quit.

It's the fact that he can't put down the bowl in exchange for 1 in a million type of lifestyle and career that many children and adults can only dream about. I think that is what enrages us.

I can have a beer or smoke weed (even though I don't) and it might not matter either way...but if I made the decision to keep smoking pot knowing damn well that I am giving up millions of dollars and a dream type of career it makes it extremely frustrating and angering to most of us posting on this board. At least I think I can speak on many of us on the board in that regard.

JMHO
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
There's no reason to cut him. He's not going to cost anything while banned, and in the unlikely event that he does have an NFL career following his ban, we'd still own his rights and potentially be able to recoup something at that point (whether it's his services as a player or something from a team who thinks they can keep a better lock on him).

I do find it funny when people get so melodramatic about "he's throwing his life away" and "he needs help". Dude smokes weed. Millions of people smoke weed daily and live perfectly normal, productive lives. I'm sure there are people on this board who meet that description. If he's throwing anything away, its not his life but his lifestyle. There's plenty of stuff he can do for a living, some lucrative and some not, and get high every day if that's what he wants to do. It'll probably be a bummer for him when he finds out that his celebrity "friends" don't want as much to do with him once he's not an NFL star, but sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

Really sucks for us as fans of the team he played for, because he was a hell of a talent, but he chose weed over football. His life, his decision.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

However, Gordon KNEW he was one tiny little F-up away from a years suspension. He smoked up anyway. Why? Because he doesn't CARE one bit about football.

Addiction can turn the things that mean the most to one as a secondary to their habit, often before the addict realizes it's happened.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Just to cheer people up a little bit:

Rubin/Taylor/Bryant
Kruger/Dansby/Kirksey/Mingo (Sheard)
Haden/Whitner/Gibson/Gilbert

That's a very solid defense.

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
Pot is NOT legal in any state, because it violates federal law, and federal law trumps state law. States say that they aren't going to prosecute for pot, but the Feds can still bust a pot operation, and prosecute under federal law, and the state can't do anything about it.

It is not legal anywhere in the US, Some states have just chosen to not prosecute those who violate certain federal laws.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I do find it funny when people get so melodramatic about "he's throwing his life away" and "he needs help". Dude smokes weed. Millions of people smoke weed daily and live perfectly normal, productive lives

I smoke weed regularly. Not daily, but 3-5 times a week.

But if I lost 6-7 figures and my job because I couldn't stop smoking it for short intervals during the year, I would probably consider that a waste of my life and a problem that needs help.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Haden/Whitner/Gibson/Gilbert

I'm not sold on Gipson. We also don't have a clue as to what we have with McFadden and Slaughter. Who knows, we just might find lightning in a bottle with one of those two.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

I do find it funny when people get so melodramatic about "he's throwing his life away" and "he needs help". Dude smokes weed. Millions of people smoke weed daily and live perfectly normal, productive lives

I smoke weed regularly. Not daily, but 3-5 times a week.

But if I lost 6-7 figures and my job because I couldn't stop smoking it for short intervals during the year, I would probably consider that a waste of my life and a problem that needs help.

Short intervals throughout the year. He was busted early last winter.... At what part of the year are you speaking about that he can smoke.... You smoking regularly as you speak of, could you quit for 15 yrs. How many of you judges on this board drink and drive....well let me JUDGE you now, if you get caught I hope they lock you away for life because you're a waste of oxygen!

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon Faces Year-Long Suspension

Link Copied to Clipboard