C
Big corner. A lot of upside.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Kiper gave him a 2nd round draft grade.

Supposedly an Interception machine.

Last edited by ShotCaller; 05/10/14 01:34 PM.

JMHO
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1714348/pierre-desir

PLAYER LOWDOWN

COMBINE RESULTS
40 YD 20 YD 10 YD 225 BENCH VERTICAL JUMP BROAD SHUTTLE 3-CONE DRILL
4.52 2.53 1.59 11 35 11'1" 4.30 6.86
WORKOUT RESULTS
40 YD 20 YD 10 YD 225 BENCH VERTICAL JUMP BROAD SHUTTLE 3-CONE DRILL
4.52 2.68 1.52 - - - - -
STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Sports a lean, athletic build with excellent height for the position. Fluid athlete with light feet, flexibility and balance. Has a low backpedal, controlled transition and is a smooth accelerator with good top-end speed. Trusts his athleticism, showing the patience to allow receivers to get close before opening his hips to turn and run downfield.
Aggressively closes on underneath routes. Locates the ball well, showing good hand-eye coordination and body control to adjust to make the tough grab. Has dominated lower-level competition based largely on his natural gifts.

With refining, Desir could emerge as an NFL starter.

WEAKNESSES: Overly reliant on his athleticism and may need significant development from a technical standpoint before competing for playing time in the NFL. Dominated lower level of competition and rarely had to extend his arm to jam receivers when in press coverage, which led to struggles with quicker receivers during the all-star game circuit.

Plays with cover corner mentality against the run, making the tackle when necessary but showing less-than-ideal physicality when attempting to fight through blocks and when making tackles.

COMPARES TO: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Denver Broncos - Like DRC, Desir possesses intriguing size, athleticism and ball-skills. With improved physicality -- especially in run support -- Desir could emerge as a legitimate NFL starter.

--Rob Rang

PLAYER OVERVIEW

An annual tradition at the Senior Bowl is the explosion of at least one "small school" cornerback onto the national scene. Though his collegiate career was spent at two universities most college football fans couldn't find on a map, with 25 interceptions Desir didn't have to wait until his impressive performance in Mobile, Ala. to catch the attention of scouts.
Born in Haiti, Desir grew up playing soccer and the fluidity with which he plays American football is testament to this experience. He was lightly recruited out of high school and wound up at Washburn before transferring to Lindenwood in large part due to the financial burden of raising a family. At both programs - just as he did at the Senior Bowl and East-West Shrine Game - Desir's length and athleticism stood out.

Desir is clearly a work in progress from a technical standpoint but with the NFL increasingly willing to gamble on size at cornerback, he could wind up among the top 100 selections of the 2014 draft.

PLAYER NEWS
05/08/2014 - 2014 DRAFT SCOUT FINAL TOP 100: 85/11. Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood, 6-1, 198, 4.52, 3...Haitian-born, Desir moved to U. S. when he was four and spent youth playing soccer, the sport in which his father, Wilfrid, starred. But while playing football at two Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) colleges -- Washburn and Lindenwood -- Desir showed natural ability and collected 25 career interceptions. Fluid, flexible mature athlete with wife and two children who dominated low level competition. Frankly: Best MIAA prospect since? Of course you said Pittsburg State's DE Troy Wilson (21 sacks in 1991 to help win DII National Championship; 46 career sacks from 89-92; drafted in seventh round by San Francisco in 1993, in time to win a Super Bowl ring after 1994 season). - Frank Cooney, NFLDraftScout.com

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heard that out of Kiper. I was shocked we got another CB. I like the pick though, really going defense! I love D picks.

Legend
Legend
Kid is a baller. We got two small school guys that I loved in West and Desir.

Legend
Legend
Copying Seattle.

Heavy run, elusive QB, strong D and no-name WRs.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Project, that won't contribute as a rook, might not even suit up because he's not a ST.

Luxury developmental pick while we need starters at WR

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
M
Legend
Legend
M
This is a great pick and terrific value. Our secondary will definitely be a team strength. Great depth as well.

Legend
Legend
I really like this pick.

I wanted another big corner, and I picked this kid in my "will never happen" draft. I am glad that I was wrong.

I think that this kid will help the Browns a lot this year. Teams will find tit more difficult to go 3-5 wide on us and expect easy completions.

Our top 5 corners are now:

Haden
Gilbert
Skrine
Desir
McFadden

That's solid depth at a vital spot.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Pettine has always coached up raw defensive players. I trust him more than most with these type of players.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Project, that won't contribute as a rook, might not even suit up because he's not a ST.

And there are no starting quality WR's....and corners are always a better developmental pick since thewy can play ST.

Quit moaning.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
U
All Pro
All Pro
U
This was the correct pick at this point.

No, he isn't a wide receiver, but he is talented and fits Pettine's scheme well. Lots of chatter before the draft about him possibly being a second round pick, so taking him in the fourth is great value. He needs to be coached up, but he has length and excellent athleticism. Only thing he lacks is long speed.

I like the defensive backs on this team a lot!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Please tell me how you see him suit up on sundays when the top3 CBs are healthy. We even had McFadden as 4th CB, who's more suited to play Nickel/dime. Desir is a pure perimeter CB and he won't suit up on sundays.

Maybe they want to trade Haden? Or don't want to pay him?

Follows the draft theme of "decent prospect, but wrong decision"

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

And there are no starting quality WR's

This is the key. We can get better quality WR from the free agent pool than from what's left in the draft.

There was a plan, and they stuck to it.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns select Pierre Desir with the 127th overall pick

Like the pick...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Was this the guy from the ESPN draft special? I like this pick.

Quick question...can this guy play FS? Sounds like his skills would translate very well to that position.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Desir is no ST guy, not physical, doesn't like to take on tackler. Pure big Cover CB, like Gilbert.

Pettine said that in his scheme, the CBs don't have to be good players vs run

#gmstrong

P
Legend
Legend
P
You call it moaning. I say he's right on the money.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quick question...can this guy play FS? Sounds like his skills would translate very well to that position.

Was wondering the same thing, about FS. Sounds like a ball hawk.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

You call it moaning. I say he's right on the money.

Ok....who was the starting quality receiver we passed up to draft this corner?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
He is a solid backup at this point, and can play against the 3-5 wide sets that teams favor these days. This is the kind of guy Pettine seems to like working with. Even if he takes a year to develop, it is always important to have depth at CB. Haden hasn't played a full year in the past 3 years. We need depth, and this guy is one who could potentially even be a starter one day.

I like having bigger corners. We will probably lose Skrine next year, because we aren't going to pay Haden huge, and then turn around and pay Skrine a moderately big deal as well.

As far as special teams .... why can't he play special teams?

Further, in the late 4th round ..... if I can get a guy who could start one day ..... I take him ... especially at CB.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This kid isn't starting CB material either and isn't well suited for ST's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Quote:

Well you can stop holding your breath on getting a starting WR @ #127. Get real with your expectations, WR at this point is nothing more than " Developmental pick " at best.
That ship sailed away way back in the draft. Desir has way more potential to us at this point, than anyone you would find at WR.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I guess this means that Skrine will not be on the roster next year? IDK. I was surprised we picked up another corner.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Further, in the late 4th round ..... if I can get a guy who could start one day ..... I take him ... especially at CB.

Start day one for what team? For the Chargers, yeah... but not for the Browns. Gilbert, Haden, Skrine... and Desir is going to start?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
great pick!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I guess this means that Skrine will not be on the roster next year? IDK. I was surprised we picked up another corner.

Why? Defensive head coaches usually love having extra CBs to work with. They become the backbone of special teams units, and they know that they are one injury away from starting Chris Owens or Ralph Brown unless they have great depth.

I had us taking 2 CB just for those reasons.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Big corner. A lot of upside.

I love this pick!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

You just don't like Haitians.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

This kid isn't starting CB material either and isn't well suited for ST's.

I'll take a back-up corner over a back-up receiver any day.

The point isn't the guys ability. My comment was about the moaning we took this guy and not a starting WR.

Plus....I think our receivers are fine. The new scheme plays to their talents. We win near 10 games this year. Don't worry about it if the crackhead gets suspended.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Pettine, like Rex Ryan, loves having a ton of corners. We are going to be in nickel and dime packages the majority of the time, we needed more corners to do that.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Btw, another guy that got good reviews in the SR Bowl/postseason, 3rd hype player from that game after Bitonio and Kirksey. Farmer was there before he was named GM, just saying. Wouldn't be the first rook GM to fall for postseason hype instead of watching the tape.

I see a lot of hype and "hot name" prospects. Sure seems like buzz is getting to Farmer more than picking "his guys".

Not even saying it's good or bad, just an observation of a pattern I see

#gmstrong

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed, this was my thinking immediately.

Unrelated to the safety convo, here's good article on the kid:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/20481...d-then-football

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Pettine, like Rex Ryan, loves having a ton of corners. We are going to be in nickel and dime packages the majority of the time, we needed more corners to do that.

All these pundits say that it's a 'passing league'. How do you change that? You take away your opponents ability to pass. Even the LB they drafted can cover. So can the two top defensive players that they brought in (Dansby & [W]Hitner).

The Browns get a top-notch corner with Gilbert to go alongside Haden (for this season) and draft players that can take his spot if Haden wants to be a . with his contract. If they're able to sign him to a new contract, the Browns have depth for 3 years, maybe longer.

I like the attention being paid to the defense.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Pettine also uses a lot of different personnel on defense.

I remember a game where the Jets played the Peyton Manning Colts, I think they used seven corners in the game (or something along those lines).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

And you think they could have got a starter at WR with that pick? Highly unlikely.
We passed on any chance of drafting a starter at WR quite a while ago. They will have to find someone elsewhere. Or go with what they have....

Kid seems a solid pick with some upside. Can't have too many DB's in a league as pass happy as the NFL.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Cover3, he could do FS. Or third safety in dime. His size should allow us to move him around some.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We just need something better than Benjamin, who's start outside as of now and there are plenty. Not saying the WR prospect would be clearly better, but Desir won't contribute much as a rook, he's a developmental roster stash and that's why he fell too, btw. That, and his mix of stiffness and lack of physicality, which made him a no fit for many schemes.

#gmstrong

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Don't worry about it if the crackhead gets suspended.

HUGE difference between a pot head and a crack head Peen.

And if you actually feel that we are okay at the WR position as it stands, we will never see that one the same.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
No way he could be S, as I've seen him shy away and step back from tackling. He doesn't like that aspect of the game and you can't teach toughness.

#gmstrong

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Browns select Pierre Desir with the 127th overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard