Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If teams are going to fine people for hurting his feelings by making a stupid comment, then I can't wait to see all of the yellow flags flying on Sundays. "15 yard penalty for hurting the opposing player's feelings with a mean comment. The offending player is disqualified from the game and must leave the sidelines."

Really? It's obvious that this kid doesn't think highly of Sams, either for his orientation, or his play. So what? Does this kid need babied because he is a gay player? I guarantee that he'll hear far worse on Sundays ...... if he makes it to Sundays.

Geesh ..... this kid makes a comment ...... not even a particularly cruel one ..... and he is suspended until he "completes training related to his comments"? Really?

Negative tweet about Michael Sam draws fine for Miami Dolphins' Don Jones | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/negative_tweet_about_michael_s.html

MIAMI -- Miami Dolphins safety Don Jones was fined an undisclosed amount Sunday and will undergo educational training after sending a negative tweet about Michael Sam, the first openly gay player to be selected in the NFL draft.

Shortly after the St. Louis Rams took Sam in the seventh round Saturday, Jones tweeted "OMG" and "Horrible." The tweets were taken down a short time later.

Jones apologized for his comments Sunday and described them as inappropriate. The Dolphins said Jones has been excused from all team activities until he completes training related to his comments.

"We were disappointed to read Don's tweets," coach Joe Philbin said in a statement. "They were inappropriate and unacceptable, and we regret the negative impact these comments had on such an important weekend for the NFL. We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment. These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program."

The Dolphins reacted swiftly to Jones' comments in the wake of the team's bullying scandal last year, which embarrassed the NFL and prompted a nationwide debate about workplace harassment.

Jones said he regretted that his tweets took away from Sam's "draft moment."

"I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round, and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team, and I wish him all the best in his NFL career," Jones said in a statement. "I am committed to represent the values of the Miami Dolphins organization, and appreciate the opportunity I have been given to do so going forward."

Jones' agent, Chris Martin, could not be reached Sunday for comment.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
They already flag you if you talk smack during a game to an opponent.

That said this has nothing to do with Sam or the NFL. Sam didn't say anything about this and the fine is coming from the Dolphins. That said, I do find it incredibly ironic that the Dolphins thought that tweet was over the line but when Pouncey makes a joke about hazing their new tackle, it's just a boys will be boys type of deal.

Legend
Legend
Guys already say pretty vulgar things. They're going to get extremely personal with him. I hope Sam is strong enough for what's about to come at him.

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Guys already say pretty vulgar things. They're going to get extremely personal with him. I hope Sam is strong enough for what's about to come at him.

With the penalties for racism going into effect I have a feeling sexuality is covered as well, won't stop it from happening but should limit it a bit.

As for the Dolphins they should maybe take it easy on social media, between Pouncey tweeting about looking forward to seeing the presents their first round pick OT buys them (after the bullying issue) and this they're doing a great job of drawing negative attention to themselves.

Legend
Legend
If you work for a company and find out they hired a gay person.

Then go around telling everyone its "horrible" that they hired him.

Do you not think you will be reprimanded? If not fired?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
1st String
1st String
C
Why are soo many athletes putting their junk out in social media? I wouldn't say crap about nothing,if I was them.Keep your opinions private!! What a knucklehead...

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
If all he said was 'OMG' and 'Horrible', why didn't the kid play it off as being totally unrelated to Sam's drafting?

But, yeah the NFL is going to be overly sensitive on the Sam thing after what just happened with Donald Sterling.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Trash talk is already pretty extreme ... What they are going to do? Call him straight and let him know all the nasty things their girlfriend is going to do to him?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

But, yeah the NFL is going to be overly sensitive on the Sam thing after what just happened with Donald Sterling.

It wasn't the NFL that did anything, it was the Dolphins ... but after all the Incognito stuff last year, they're probably just as sensitive.

Legend
Legend
He must have gone through that "Richie Incognito Senstivity Training".

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah, it is about the last thing that the Dolphins wanted to be associated with.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Is that the one where you smash a Ferrari with a golf club?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

"I am committed to represent the values of the Miami Dolphins organization

After last years fiasco in the locker room, I think you were respresenting the dolphins values

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If you work for a company and find out they hired a gay person.

Then go around telling everyone its "horrible" that they hired him.

Do you not think you will be reprimanded? If not fired?

Unless your boss or the owner is an idiot, you will get reprimanded or fired. I don't see anything different about a job in the NFL.. Be it as a player or receptionist in the HQ office or the guy that sells you beer at the stadium.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
NFL "education" camp ...

Legend
Legend
With the PR disaster last year that was the dolphins are you surprised they are fining a guy for a Negative tweet towards the first openly gay player in the nfl?

This is more about what happened in Miami last year and less about sam

<><

#gmstrong
V
1st String
1st String
V
I hope the NFL gets passed this. Will saying something about how his boyfriend serviced a player be against the rules? Will telling an opponent how good his wife or girlfriend was in bed with them be fined equally? The purpose is the same, to infuriate an opponent and to gain advantage. If we want total equality for all, it seems we must limit everything people do. Blah, I do not want to live in that society. Who is John Galt?

Voleur

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
This has nothing to do with the NFL. This is what Miami did. It's against the rules to say those things already. Stop politicizing issues.

Legend
Legend
It's against the rules to have a personal opinion and tweet a word, "horrible"? Really?

Time to tow the party line. Sieg Hiel!

fThey should trade him him to St. Louis.

#GMSTRONG
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
It's against the rules to call any players any names or talk about their girlfriend or anything like that. It's just not enforced a lot. That's what we're talking about.

Also, if you want to compare an organization that does not care about what its players do the same as fascists then that's your choice, man.

Isn't dude a back up? Doubt they could trade him to anywhere for anything.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Personally, I'm sick and tired hearing about Michael Sam. Let's focus our attention on the top of the draft, not the bottom...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
He didn't call anyone anything, he expressed a personal opinion about a situation.

#GMSTRONG
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm talking about on the field insults here. Because that is what the NFL does. This guy was not suspended by the NFL.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

It's against the rules to call any players any names or talk about their girlfriend or anything like that. It's just not enforced a lot. That's what we're talking about.

Which part are we talking about? The rule itself or the lack of enforcement of the rule? Does the rule now extend to off-the-field tweets? Does the enforcement? Or are they just making it up as they go?

Or are they enforcing the the rules they choose to enforce - sometimes and when it fits their agenda?

Quote:

Also, if you want to compare an organization that does not care about what its players do the same as fascists then that's your choice, man.

Do you know anyone who grew up in a fascist country? How about a country that became fascist while she was growing up? I do...I call her 'Mom'. I'll just say that what we are seeing here is very, very, troubling to me.

Quote:

Isn't dude a back up? Doubt they could trade him to anywhere for anything.

So perhaps he actually is 'awful' or 'bad'? How do we punish someone for having an opinion?

Did he say 'Awful that a gay guy is now in the league'? If so, I understand the uproar...otherwise...this is complete BS.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Do either of you two realize that the NFL did not suspend this guy?

Do you know what "sieg heil" means?

That's basically what he said between his tweet and apology. The thing is the only people in an uproar about it are the anti-PC people.

Legend
Legend
Yes I know what it means and if you're suggesting I used it incorrectly then I would conclude you don't.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looking forward, say that he does not have a good camp and is not good enough to survive their final cut. How hard would it be actually release the guy? Looking at the backlash over these tweets, I would not want to see what the reaction would be to this guy getting cut. As much as his release would only be about football, the press will make sure it is not.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
And maybe I'm wrong but I got the feeling he was referring to the kiss and not the drafting of the player. By the way I thought the same thing when I saw but I'm straight and down with the ladies. Didn't show hate to me at all. Maybe he shouldn't have said it in a tweet bit I'm sure a ton more than him thought the very same but just didn't tweet it. Just can't speak your preferences these days without a uproar. He (Sam)is untitled to everything anyone else and rightfully so but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm not saying that you used it incorrectly. I just think you're completely off base with your comparison that the Dolphins are fascists.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm sorry but I think some of the tweets are hilarious. "How many backfields is Michael Sam going to rush this year?"

hahahaha

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
You probably don't want to see him on the other side of an end around

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Actually, the funniest thing about Sam is that he thinks that he should have been drafted in the first 3 rounds ...

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Actually, the funniest thing about Sam is that he thinks that he should have been drafted in the first 3 rounds ...

Why wouldn't he?

I want my players to be confident. Who wants a guy who thinks ' I'm probably worth a sixth or seventh round selection'?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Maybe .... but he was nowhere near a 1st - 3rd round talent.

You might have thought that he was, with the video packages and such ...... but not really.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Maybe .... but he was nowhere near a 1st - 3rd round talent.

You might have thought that he was, with the video packages and such ...... but not really.

I'm not arguing that he was a 1st-3rd pick. I'm saying I would want my players to think that way, even if they're way off base. I'd like to see that confidence and chip on their shoulder.

Who wants a guy who says 'All those teams that passed on me over and over were right to do so. I'm a tweener and probably worth a late round pick.'

Hell, no. I would want a kid who believes he's the best, even if he's not even close.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Do you know what "sieg heil" means?

All Hail Victory ? or something like that

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
J/K

Really there is a debate here? Can't we just move forward without all the jokes and snide remarks. The NFL is dealing with this in full transparency. Their message is players, owners, and coaches will be punished if they pick up the negative dialog when it comes to human rights. Too bad they can't really punish the few NFL fans that continue to be negative and joke about the issue.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.. " Too bad they can't really punish the few NFL fans that continue to be negative and joke about the issue. . "

You want to punish free speech , or someone who has a different take on life ?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I get your point, and you are probably right ...... but I took his more as some indignation that he wasn't picked higher for reasons other than his talent, and I don't think that's the case. IIRC, he was rated as an UDFA when he came out ..... and while the bottom of the draft isn't that far off of that, I think that he was more of a PR move than anything else.

I will say that the Rams are loaded at talent on the DL. They added Aaron Donald to an already fairly loaded unit.

They have Donald, Carrington, (signed as a FA) Hayes, Long, Quinn, Langford, and Brockers. That's a nice rotation on the DL.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

.. " Too bad they can't really punish the few NFL fans that continue to be negative and joke about the issue. . "

You want to punish free speech , or someone who has a different take on life ?

Depends on what they do. Soccer has a very interesting problem right now with racism and has no problem withing sentencing life long bans to those who throw bananas on the field. Granted we're not there and hopefully will never be there, but I don't think we should brush it off without some kind of discussion. But I also don't think this topic is a place for that discussion.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Negative Tweet About Sam Draws Fine

Link Copied to Clipboard