Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I wonder how many people will be upset and offended that we signed "Whitey" as an UDFA?

"Whitey" shoulda gone higher

Now, regarding Sam...he just signed up to do a reality show on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

Oh. Boy.

Ya know...There was all this noise about how drafting him would create a media circus and nightmare. I think the world was ready for the first gay player and I'd hoped teams wouldn't have been afraid of him for that.

Then he turns right around and does a reality show, creating the circus he swore he wouldn't create.

I don't know if Sam is smart, dumb, ignorant, or simply doing what's best for him.

Actually, it's all of the above.

Sam has every right to try and make money for himself, simply because there's not much of a shot for a 7th rounder having any kind of career in the NFL. I think the losers are the gay comunity, as Michael Sam doing what's best for him isn't the same thing as Michael Sam doing what's best for the GLT community.

Of course he doesn't owe the community anything at the end of the day, if we're going to get right down to the nuts-and-bolts of it all.

This situation mirrors the players unions, where what's best for each individual player isn't necessarily best for the union as a whole.

Sucks to be the Rams. Now I can't help but wonder if the Rams aren't going to more strongly consider cutting him just to be rid of the circus...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
I can't wait to see the look on Fisher's face when the ONN film trucks show up at rookie camp.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I can't wait to see the look on Fisher's face when the ONN film trucks show up at rookie camp.

Sheeit, I'll do you one better, J.

Imagine the look on Fisher's face when the end-zone seats are filled with drag-cheerleaders

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Legend
Legend
Those preseason games might be fun to watch.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

simply because there's not much of a shot for a 7th rounder having any kind of career in the NFL.

From 99 to 08 73% of all 6th and 7th round picks started at least one NFL regular season game.. almost a quarter (22%) of all 6th and 7th round picks were considered a starter for at least one full season in the NFL.. it's not quite the long shot people think it is.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wonder how many people will be upset and offended that we signed "Whitey" as an UDFA?

Whitley. Nickoe Whitley.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Ah. The site I took it from said "Whitey". Oh well ..... messed that joke all up.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Sorry for being a party pooper.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That's all right. You ruined it. You're a ruiner.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

simply because there's not much of a shot for a 7th rounder having any kind of career in the NFL.

From 99 to 08 73% of all 6th and 7th round picks started at least one NFL regular season game.. almost a quarter (22%) of all 6th and 7th round picks were considered a starter for at least one full season in the NFL.. it's not quite the long shot people think it is.

Neat stats DC thanks.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
"OMG,horrible"
No where near what I had to say when I was forced to witness something that goes against my beliefs.
It is none of my business what 2,3 or even 4 people do in their own privacy.
But,when the powers that be in Hollywood or NYC/Bristol try to force feed their morals upon me,I don't approve of it.
Fining this guy is censorship,pure and simple,and that's wrong.
I really don't care enough,one way or the other,to devote the time and energy to figure this whole gays/gay rights concept out.But I will say this,when well meaning individuals start championing some cause,it always seems to end up eroding some of my rights and privileges.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
If by NYC/Bristol you mean, Miami Dolphins then yeah, sure.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
j/c

Thought there is some merit to this article:

web page

by Cal Thomas Wed, 5/14/2014 | Tribune Content Agency, LLC

Free speech not so free when discussing gay rights

By Cal Thomas

Tribune Content Agency

Once, Social Security was the “third rail” of politics. Touch it and face political death. Now it is homosexuality. Criticize anything gay people do and you risk ostracism, fines, suspension or loss of your livelihood.

Michael Sam, the first openly gay player to be drafted by a National Football League team — the St. Louis Rams picked him 249th in the last round — is being treated by the media and those in the gay rights movement as the equivalent of an early American pioneer.

Miami Dolphins safety Don Jones, apparently, didn’t get the memo. Jones tweeted “OMG” and “horrible” after he saw Sam and his boyfriend kiss each other live on ESPN. His tweet was quickly taken down, but the political correctness police swooped in anyway. Jones has been fined and suspended. He’s also being forced to attend “educational training” to get his “mind right,” to borrow a phrase from the film “Cool Hand Luke.” This sounds like the old communist “re-education” camps.

Dolphins Coach Joe Philbin called Jones’ comment “inappropriate and unacceptable.” Jones issued a statement that read like it had been written by a lawyer, apologizing for his “inappropriate” tweet and taking “full responsibility” for his comment.

How quickly things have changed from the recent experiences of Tim Tebow. When the quarterback heroically led the Denver Broncos to a playoff victory in 2012 and dropped to one knee, as he often did to express gratitude to God (a move that quickly became known as “Tebowing,” which spawned countless YouTube parodies), he was widely ridiculed by many of the same entities that now defend Michael Sam, including some NFL players and even “Saturday Night Live,” which in a skit had “Jesus” offering Tebow advice while sitting next to him on a locker room bench.

When the Broncos released Tebow, he was mocked again, not only for his faith, but for claiming to be a virgin who wanted to save himself for marriage. In an increasingly secular and licentious culture this sort of thinking and expression, apparently, must be silenced.

During Tebow’s brief professional career, TV ratings spiked, jerseys and other gear with Tebow’s name on it sold well and, according to Ad Age, “In terms of influence, Mr. Tebow is now in the top 40 of 3,000 celebs … on par with Tom Hanks, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Jennifer Aniston and Steven Spielberg.”

Yet, Tebow endured a sometimes silent and often shouted campaign to brand him in a negative way. He was called “polarizing.” It was said he had “baggage,” though his “bags” were considerably lighter than many other professional athletes who have had drug and alcohol problems, incidents with guns at strip clubs and numerous out-of-wedlock children.

The Nation’s Dave Zirin revealed the secular left’s real problem with Tebow when he wrote, “(Tebow) is a religious figure in a country that is uncomfortable talking (about) religion.” Really? I would venture to guess there are likely more people attending church on Sunday mornings than attend NFL football games on Sunday afternoon. Such is the bias of those who hold disdain for people of strong faith because it apparently exposes flaws in themselves they prefer not to see.

After the Broncos cut Tebow, haters took to the comment page of The Huffington Post:

“Awwwww. I bet this makes the Baby Jesus weep. Tim should have prayed more.”

“Hey Tim, are you getting the message now? Nothing fails like prayer.”

“We’re all going to hell and we’re excited about it. Don’t be jealous.”

“Where is your God now, Tebow?”

NFL players who joined in the mockery were not fined, disciplined or forced into education training camp. Such is the cultural double standard between the way Michael Sam is being treated and the experience of Tim Tebow. But what should one expect these days when anything goes, except for free speech critical to the LGBT crowd?

(Cal Thomas’ latest book is “What Works: Common Sense Solutions for a Stronger America” is available in bookstores now. Readers may email Cal Thomas attcaeditors@tribune.com.)

(c) 2014 Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
There is no merit to that article.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

Wrong. That is article is the flat out truth.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Why do you say that?

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

According to Sharp Football Analysis the average number of years the average 7th rounder plays is less than 3 seasons.

One would hard-pressed to consider that a career, so a guy like Sam should try and capitalize on his 15 minutes of fame, his union be damned.

Of course after being put in his place by the Rams, Sam's agent pulled the plug on the reality show, so it's become a less-relevant discussion.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I find the article to be quite based in reality, but protecting or not protecting free speech isn't really the central theme: It's protecting a brand and a business.

If dissin' Tebow's religion represented a massive disruptive force to any teams NFL business model any player verbally spanking Tebow would be hit just like this guy was.

Only people with truly nothing to lose are the only one's who don't have to worry about the potential ramifications of free speech.

I'm not making any statements about what's wrong or right, civil or mean-spirited, bullying or otherwise. I'm stating it's about the $$$.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I'm not making any statements about what's wrong or right, civil or mean-spirited, bullying or otherwise. I'm stating it's about the $$$.

Which is what bothers a lot of people. At some point, the line is crossed in terms of right and wrong, just and unjust for the sake of money. Some uphold that in the name of capitalism, yet yell the loudest when things like the Tebow situation occur.

I agree with the above posted article. I also agree with you. People need to figure out that you can't ride the capitalist railroad, then complain when the very thing you applaud, blows up in your face.

I mean if business is all about profits and shouldn't be regulated or held to some great moral standard for the sake of profit, you get what you ask for at some point. Here's a perfect example of that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Imagine the look on Fisher's face when the end-zone seats are filled with drag-cheerleaders

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

No, it's not.

Thomas is trying to paint a picture that in one instance, persecution is accepted, but in another, it's derided.

In doing so, he's assuming that those being persecuted are on equal footing.

They're not. One is in the majority. One is in the minority. To pretend that this isn't the case is disingenuous.

It's the same thing as when a black guy calls a white guy a cracker versus the other way around. As a white guy, if I'm called a slur based on my skin color...who cares? I won that lottery.

But the other way around? My blood would boil.

The only people who would agree with Thomas are those who are Christian and buy into the delusion that they're being persecuted.

But at the end of the day...the NFL isn't moral or just. It's about money. We're leaving the Stone Age...gay bashing is bad for business.

Sam became a gay icon very quickly. Lots of jerseys and tickets bought. Got to keep that up.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, it's not.

Thomas is trying to paint a picture that in one instance, persecution is accepted, but in another, it's derided.

They're not. One is in the majority. One is in the minority. To pretend that this isn't the case is disingenuous.

It's the same thing as when a black guy calls a white guy a cracker versus the other way around. As a white guy, if I'm called a slur based on my skin color...who cares? I won that lottery.

The only people who would agree with Thomas are those who are Christian and buy into the delusion that they're being persecuted.

But at the end of the day...the NFL isn't moral or just. It's about money. We're leaving the Stone Age...gay bashing is bad for business.

Sam became a gay icon very quickly. Lots of jerseys and tickets bought. Got to keep that up.

Right and wrong doesn't care what footing who's on or who's blood boils for being called this or that. If it doesn't apply equally in both situations (it should, but it doesn't as we all know) then it's not 'right and wrong'.

I wouldn't call what happened to Tebow 'persecution' (and neither would he, knowing what christians are suffering around the world), but be please be honest. If he's not 'Tebowing' after scoring a touchdown no one is bothering him. He's just another guy that got drafted and either played well or didn't. He didn't create the circus that surrounded him, he was who he was and the media made more out of it than necessary just to fill time.

If Peyton Manning hadn't come to the Bronco's he would've been there another year at least. If he (Tebow) hadn't been so pigheaded about only playing QB he'd still be in the NFL at tight end or something like that.

my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

According to Sharp Football Analysis the average number of years the average 7th rounder plays is less than 3 seasons.

One would hard-pressed to consider that a career, so a guy like Sam should try and capitalize on his 15 minutes of fame, his union be damned.

Not to pick nits but I didn't say he had a great chance at a career, I was responding to the fact that he would get a year or two and probably some starts.. which is a SHOT at a career.

I think the common misconception is that the majority of 7th rounders never make it out of their first camp to get that shot.. and that's what I was refuting.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Which he did, successfully.

Quote:

Being in the majority or the minority, having money or not having money, having power or not having power, has absolutely no bearing on whether or not something is persecution... persecution is subjecting a race or group of people to cruel or unfair treatment because of their ethnic origin or religious beliefs, etc....

Quote:

And it is this attitude that is one of the biggest hindrances to making more progress socially... you can call me whatever you want but I'm supposed to respect you? Sorry, no thanks. Respect is a mutually earned two-way street... The caveat is that it is earned as an individual, not as an ethnic or religious group.

Quote:

then consider me deluded. Persecution is a strong word and conjures up notions of people being hung, thrown in prison, stoned to death, etc... and while, as a Christian I don't fear THAT.... but that's not the definition of persecution... there are a select few groups of people in this country right now where it's perfectly acceptable to generalize about, mock, and ridicule with no real fear of societal retribution... and Christians is on that list.

To say that me mocking him because he's gay is somehow worse than you mocking me because I'm a Christian is what is disingenuous.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

"OMG,horrible"
No where near what I had to say when I was forced to witness something that goes against my beliefs.
It is none of my business what 2,3 or even 4 people do in their own privacy.
But,when the powers that be in Hollywood or NYC/Bristol try to force feed their morals upon me,I don't approve of it.

So should we never have cameras in draftees homes because someone might be offended?

And LOL at "Forced to witness" as if ESPN tied you to a chair and kept your eyes open...

I'm not gay, I don't even have that "Gay Friend", I don't care if someone's gay, if he can play football, he'll be fine, if he can't, I can't wait to hear about how its "because hes gay"

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Legend
Legend
P
How many 5th to 7th round draft picks does ESPN have a camera crew parked in their living room? This wasn't about the player, but rather that players sexuality, plain and simple.

While a persons sexuality is of no concern of mine, to pretend someone does not have the right to be offended by it or say that they are, without saying anything negative about a person directly, is rather simplistic and no less infringing on the rights of others.

To use slurs or name calling I do find offensive. To simply not be accepting of the homosexual lifestyle is just as much of a right as being accepting of it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think you'd have a good point if gay people had all of the same rights as heterosexuals do.

Legend
Legend
How would that change his point?

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Because you should have a free pass for your hate if you're not oppressing someone. However that's not the case at the moment.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

How many 5th to 7th round draft picks does ESPN have a camera crew parked in their living room? This wasn't about the player, but rather that players sexuality, plain and simple.

While a persons sexuality is of no concern of mine, to pretend someone does not have the right to be offended by it or say that they are, without saying anything negative about a person directly, is rather simplistic and no less infringing on the rights of others.

To use slurs or name calling I do find offensive. To simply not be accepting of the homosexual lifestyle is just as much of a right as being accepting of it.

That's a key point right there.

Some people are morally offended by people having children out of wedlock. Others are morally offended by people having sex casually outside of wedlock. These things do not make these people bad, or evil ....... they just have certain specific moral beliefs, based on their religious beliefs. They may feel that a man marrying one woman is God's plan, but a man marrying 4 women is not.

Each person should be, and in fact must be, able to hold whatever moral beliefs they feel in their hearts, as long as they don't use those beliefs to create violence against others.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Because you should have a free pass for your hate if you're not oppressing someone. However that's not the case at the moment.

How does people having the opinion that the gay lifestyle is unacceptable equate to hate? Is it your opinion that anyone who disagrees with that lifestyle as someone who hates all gays?

I actually know people who do not agree with the gay lifestyle who are proponents of gay marriage. They feel while they disagree with it on moral grounds, it's up to each individual to choose what's right for themselves.

Even on a religious basis. I know people who believe that it's a sin but that it's not their right to judge and that everyone will face their own judgment.

So how is it that these people are infringing on the gay community? How is it that you see everyone who disagrees with the gay lifestyle as being hateful of it? You see, that's what the media and so many do. Any time you disagree with something, you automatically hate it. That's simply not true.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Because most of the people who dislike the "gay life style" do not support gay marriage. And if you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So if something is against someone's moral or religious beliefs, and they do not support it on those grounds, they are part of the problem?

Maybe that thinking is part of the problem. As much as you may dislike it, people have every right to stand against things they see as immoral or against their religious beliefs. That's their right as much as it is within the rights for people to support it.

Yet somehow in today's society, if your beliefs or view of morality don't align with what happens to be a somewhat popular train of thought, you are now considered a part of the problem. This country was founded on the right to religious freedom. Not to be labeled or shamed because of your beliefs.

Not everyone is going to conform to any certain way of thinking. They will vote their conscience and uphold what they perceive as right. Whether you, I or anyone else happens to agree with them. You may see that as a part of the problem but I see it as their right to do so.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Yes, if you infringe on someone's rights you are a gigantic problem in America. That's a fact.

Gay marriage does not affect anyone except the gay people who are being married.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually agree with your line of thinking.

However, many see it as undermining the morality of our country. So I guess it boils down to who's rights and beliefs you feel comfortable labeling and infringing upon.

I'm all for letting the courts sort it out and to this juncture they seem to be in line with what you're saying.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yep. "You are welcome to your opinion ..... as long as it agrees with my opinion ...."

It is amazing to me how many supposedly "enlightened" people seem to share this ideal.

It is horrific if someone speaks in opposition to their opinion. Those who do so much be evil, and hateful ... even if they have specific religious reasons for opposing their position, and even if they accept a legal, civil option, with a name other than marriage, as a realistic option.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Those who do so much be evil, and hateful ... even if they have specific religious reasons for opposing their position, and even if they accept a legal, civil option, with a name other than marriage, as a realistic option.

Realistic to who? You?

Do you realize what you're essentially saying is "I should be free to feel how I want to...and everyone else should adapt their lives to reflect my beliefs...and I'd even throw them a bone and invent some segregated consolation prize for them. If they were more realistic, they'd accept that and be happy."

Legend
Legend
"I have no problem with people being gay, as long as they don't expect the same treatment heterosexuals receive"

Should inter racial couples have juwt lived with "civil unions" ?

I'm surprised we haven't heard the "Next thing people will wanna marry animals!"

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think that any couple who does not want to be married according to the traditional meaning of the word should have the option of a civil union.

We can call a dog a cat all we want, but they are 2 different animals, and the dog will never meow. It's not hateful. It simply is. A gay couple can never, for example, have a child of their own. It is simply not possible to combine the genetic material of 2 men, or 2 women, to create a child. That is not hateful, it simply is. A union of 2 men, or 2 women, is different than the union of a man and a woman. This simply is. There really can't be any argument on that point. Put 2 men or 2 women on a deserted island, and their genetic line ends there. That simply is the way nature works. A union of 2 people of the same sex is different than the union of a man and a woman. (and yes, I realize that not all marriages produce children, but it certainly seem like the vast majority do) I can certainly accept a civil option for homosexual couples, but I do not believe that the joining of 2 men, or 2 women, is a marriage. That is my belief. You can, and do disagree. That's fine. Some agree with my opinion. Some agree with your opinion. The trend certainly seems to be towards your opinion, but that does not change my belief.

I do believe that there should be an accommodation for gay couples, creating a civil union that is equal in every way to marriage as far as rights and responsibilities. However, I firmly believe that marriage is a union of one man to one woman, and also it caries a traditional religious aspect as well. I truly think that this is more of a secular vs religious argument in many ways .... with many proponents trying to diminish traditional religious beliefs. Again, not all, but certainly many.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

Should inter racial couples have juwt lived with "civil unions" ?

Interracial couples are still (most of the time) between a man and a woman. There is no religious text in any faith that I'm aware of that speaks against this at all.

my two cents...
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Negative Tweet About Sam Draws Fine

Link Copied to Clipboard