Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Legend
Legend
E
Then with 10 seconds to go, a new card replaced it with the name of Johnny Manziel, as a result of owner Jimmy Haslam’s order.

several who were in the war room has said that this is an out right LIE by the BOZOS... These media people should get their NFL press passes revoked then this BS will stop and they actually would get confirmation before they make these false stories.

just amazing.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The name on the card was GMdawg

I assume you're not looking for an agent...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

Then with 10 seconds to go, a new card replaced it with the name of Johnny Manziel, as a result of owner Jimmy Haslam’s order.

several who were in the war room has said that this is an out right LIE by the BOZOS... These media people should get their NFL press passes revoked then this BS will stop and they actually would get confirmation before they make these false stories.

just amazing.

Agree EO this is a media story to make us look bad. Just like the stupid homeless guy story that was an anecdote. Now every idiot is throwing it out that Jimmy's getting draft advice from homeless people. Just like the "leaked" New England scouting report.

As to this story did we not make a call to JFF before we picked him? Wouldn't we have called Teddy if there were only 10 seconds left to tell him he was our pick. I swear these guys get their rocks off by throwing this crap out there just to read the comments afterwards.

Hey media we don't forget who has slighted us and we will call you out when you try to jump on the bandwagon when, not if, our day comes.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

The name on the card was GMdawg

I assume you're not looking for an agent...

I will represent myself.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E
getting the phone call: both were there at Radio City with all eyes and the camera flashing back n forth, all they showed was JM talking on the phone. Just absurd stuff all because we didn't pick a WR

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Toast of the town to Worst team in the league in less than 24 hours.

Thanks Josh!

Oh and thanks OTL and ESPN! Everyone loves people that break protocol!

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
When it came time for us to pick at #4 I am pretty sure we had Watkins on the top of our board...according to Farmer speak.

We chose instead to make a pretty decent deal in a drop back situation. We knew Josh wasn't going to be around. So the ESPN jockeys and draft jockeys claim to know more football then Farmer who didn't panic on the most over rated position in football. amazing

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

who didn't panic on the most over rated position in football. amazing

Long Snapper?

Oh, football in general..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So the ESPN jockeys and draft jockeys claim to know more football then Farmer who didn't panic on the most over rated position in football. amazing

Ray Farmer, to his credit, seems to have stuck to his strategy to make this team good for the next 5-8 years.. the talking heads were all wondering why he didn't have a knee jerk reaction to fix a problem for one year... at least that's how I viewed it.

Look at it this way, all things considered.. if Peyton Manning goes out for a year in his 5th year and as a result, the Colts have the #1 pick, do they still take a QB?

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Potential banishment from the NFL isn't a short-term problem. And that's not to mention that we needed another WR before the stuff with Gordon came down.

Quote:

Look at it this way, all things considered.. if Peyton Manning goes out for a year in his 5th year and as a result, the Colts have the #1 pick, do they still take a QB?

No, but if it's his 12th year...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Some see it as sticking to their game plan and some see it as not being able to adapt to changing conditions.

Had he of selected a WR at say #35, some would say he panicked. No, I'd say if he had gone WR at #35, people would say that's great too. It's since he DIDN'T go with a WR at #35 that people indicate that would have been a panic move.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Potential banishment from the NFL isn't a short-term problem. And that's not to mention that we needed another WR before the stuff with Gordon came down.

Quote:

Do you really think Indy gives up Manning if Luck isn't staring them in the face?

That was the perfect storm.

Teams like Indy and GB get to go from HOF QBs to possibly future ones within a year..

And here we are..

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Potential banishment from the NFL isn't a short-term problem.

Yes it is, we have two firsts next year, if that happens we can use one on a stud WR..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Had he of selected a WR at say #35, some would say he panicked.

I would not have. I was kind of hoping for a WR there even before I heard about Gordon and him drafting one wouldn't have thrown up a fed flag because a lot of people had WR 2 as a need for this team any way..... but I'm equally impressed that Farmer stuck to his plan..

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do you really think Indy gives up Manning if Luck isn't staring them in the face?

Maybe, maybe not. But that wasn't the statement that was made. And the fact of the matter is that, while it wasn't his 5th year, Indy cut Peyton because they had the first overall pick and there was a QB that they wanted.

Also, despite what Ray Farmer says, Josh Gordon's situation can't be analogized with a player suffering an injury for the simple fact that Goodell doesn't have to give you the thumbs-up to return from an injury.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Potential banishment from the NFL isn't a short-term problem.

Yes it is, we have two firsts next year, if that happens we can use one on a stud WR..

That's all well and good, but 1) we don't know where our picks will fall next year, and 2) we don't know if there will be a stud receiver available at either of those picks.

Legend
Legend
It was his 12th year.

Indy tanked BECAUSE Luck was coming out..

If EJ Manuel is the #1 QB that year, they keep Manning.

There was talk of them keeping Manning, and trading the pick for the RG3 haul (if not more) to build around him...

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I understand all of that.

All I'm saying is that every part of what DC said except for the season happened. It was said somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but still.

As for our WRs, our WR corps is a guy who can't catch, a bunch of guys under 6', and a bunch of guys who weren't drafted. Ray Farmer seems to believe that he can play this group because that's what Seattle did, and everything will be A-OK. I happen to disagree. Time will tell.

Legend
Legend
I gotcha.

My brain LOVES hypotheticals.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

When it came time for us to pick at #4 I am pretty sure we had Watkins on the top of our board...according to Farmer speak.

We chose instead to make a pretty decent deal in a drop back situation. We knew Josh wasn't going to be around. So the ESPN jockeys and draft jockeys claim to know more football then Farmer who didn't panic on the most over rated position in football. amazing

I agree, and it is the most over rated position in football. Receiver is kind of like closer in baseball. Getting the chances is 90% of the battle.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Had he of selected a WR at say #35, some would say he panicked.

I would not have. I was kind of hoping for a WR there even before I heard about Gordon and him drafting one wouldn't have thrown up a fed flag because a lot of people had WR 2 as a need for this team any way..... but I'm equally impressed that Farmer stuck to his plan..

Which was kind of my point. No matter which way he would have gone with that #35pick, people would say he was right.

I just believe it can be seen either way. Either he wasn't willing or able to adapt to a changing situation, or he stuck to his game plan. Unless they manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat, I believe by seasons end it will be seen as a much needed pick that was ignored.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Either he wasn't willing or able to adapt to a changing situation, or he stuck to his game plan.

I think what is being overlooked here is.....It's a lot harder to stick to a plan than it is to over-react and pick a WR when that was not the plan. I don't think able or unable to adapt to a situation regardless if its changing or not has a thing to do with it. He stuck to his plan and I have no doubt that if he needs to change a situation, he will do that also.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
you bring up good points..he is kinda screwed either way in the eyes of someone.

I look at it as we have always seemed to draft for need...now one could argue we have 'needed' so many positions that it was no big deal.

But i honestly think after a certain point, the chances of a guy making it drop substantially. In this case it was a choice between our top guard prospect, or who knows what ranked receiver.

Why pick someone to fill a position, if they end up sucking while they play it anyway? I'll bet its worse than a coin flip for that receiver...and at best 60/40 for the guard. Take the best chances you can imo.

We'll get someone next year...or we'll trade for someone, or we'll have a diamond in the rough in our udfa's. Maybe even a player on the roster will step up....i don't see this as the end of the world.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Some see it as sticking to their game plan and some see it as not being able to adapt to changing conditions.

You forget one thing Pit...outside of Fantasy Leagues nobody ever won a Championship because they had an elite WR as opposed to them who didn't.

Pats had Moss...lost to Tyree
Calvin, Fitz, Andre Johnson, AC Green, Josh Gordon, Julio Jones...all have two things in common...they are considered to be elite WRs...none have won a Championship.

Offensive Flow wins championships and you can achieve that without an elite WR. Defense still wins championships...just as the Seahawks.

Don't get me wrong you have to control the AIR GAME TO WIN...been that way believe it or not since 1950. 3rd down efficiency...yards per pass. Very important. Nowhere in there though is a stat of Highlight reel material amounting to anything but just that a highlight reel.

Last year with Josh setting the record of back to back 200yd games never achieved before - but of course we lost both games. We need offensive team flow...I know its just a word but hopefully you get it - you're pretty smart. Farmer didn't fail to adjust to anything...as stated he was going to take Watkins at 4 if there was not a good trade back offer to get our CB. What big adjustment do you possibly think he had. He made a decision for the betterment of the team.

Maybe when we are at the stage to make a Champion run it might be worth our while to go for that elite WR. Just remember this - $ for $ its one of the worst mega 2nd contract investments teams can make. Why the Steelers would let them go come 2nd contract time and were smart in doing so.

Even the Lions are cringing at the best WR in the NFL and the mega contract he holds...cause for the simple reason...ELITE WRS DON'T WIN YOU CHAMPIONSHIPS!

jmho but a heck of a lot of football history backing it...

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I don't think people are necessarily asking for an ELITE WR..

Just a good one.

Burleson's broken, Little can't catch, and Hawkins is unproven..

Besides Cameron who's only had one really good season.. Our unit on paper looks like crap..

However once you get passed the 3rd, maybe even 2nd round, I don't know what you're really looking for as production from rookie WRs is rare..

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

AC Green

You might be showing your age here

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

you bring up good points..he is kinda screwed either way in the eyes of someone.

I look at it as we have always seemed to draft for need...now one could argue we have 'needed' so many positions that it was no big deal.

But i honestly think after a certain point, the chances of a guy making it drop substantially. In this case it was a choice between our top guard prospect, or who knows what ranked receiver.

I don't know that he was the top rated G on our board, but he was certainly our top G pick for round 2. Which is certainly no higher than I would consider the G position. So I do believe that was a proper spot to address it.

However, they went after Revis, so if you look at things, both the first round CB and G were positions they felt a need at too. Not to mention the QB position. So in all of those cases, I believe need was a part of the decision.

Now about your other point concerning the WR's left on the board. Both Marqise Lee and Jordan Matthews were on the board at that selection. To me, a lot of the story here is left to be told.

As much of looking back at a draft is not only looking at who you picked, as to who you left on the board. I don't know the answer to the question of which was the better pick, but if one of these WR's turns out to be a great one, things may look a lot different later on.

I really liked Jordan Matthews that would have given Manziel a very similar target as he had in Evans with a fast, big body WR. But then I'm not ray Farmer and don't have to live with those decisions.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well Tab, I don't think a G has ever won a SB for a team either.

And as sure as you were we were fine on the OL, I'd think you might have even preferred a WR there too? Or maybe you changed your mind about how well we were on the OL after the pick was made?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

fast, big body WR.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Reading these threads is so disillusioning. The same people who bad-mouthed everything the previous regime did, are now making excuses for the new regime.

The reporters were very accurate when they slammed the previous regime, but are now bozos when reporting on this regime.

Freaking hypocritical.

Some idiot brings up a fan response about the 3 Stooges and you guys love it. A reporter reports seeing something and you guys say he is lying. LOL.............perception is reality.

I don't know if it is true or not. It wouldn't surprise me. It makes sense on some level. Farmer is a football guy and Teddy is the better qb. Haslam is the owner and is interested in selling tickets and merchandise and Johnny is much better suited to aide those pursuits.

In the end, it really doesn't matter...............all that matters is which guy plays better in the NFL. If Teddy is better, the Browns blew it. If Johnny is better, the Browns were successful.

Period.

Legend
Legend
So, you think Farmer, a football guy, as you called him, was ok with drafting someone to just sell tickets, knowing if he fails he will likely get fired?

Ok.

And technically, Teddy could win the Super Bowl this year, that doesn't mean the Browns blew it. You can't assume either would of done the same thing here or there.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You are putting words into my mouth and I can assume whatever the hell I want. I don't need you to tell me what to think. Is that clear?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Reading these threads is so disillusioning. The same people who bad-mouthed everything the previous regime did, are now making excuses for the new regime.

As you already know bro I am a huge Farmer fan, and I like the moves he has made so far, BUT I will have no problem admiting I was wrong about him if he failes to produce over the next few years. I don't think he will fail but if he does, I will be here to eat as much crow as you want to dish out

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't "want" to dish out any crow, bro.

Legend
Legend
It is your perfect right to be as miserably unhappy as you want to be, and choose to be.

You can be pessimistic if you want. I rather like a lot of what Farmer has done so far.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It is your perfect right to be as miserably unhappy as you want to be, and choose to be.

You can be pessimistic if you want. I rather like a lot of what Farmer has done so far.

I will say that it seemed as though the FO had a plan and they implemented it. I am OK with that. All that remains to be seen is if this plan is successful.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The same people who bad-mouthed everything the previous regime did, are now making excuses for the new regime.

Who are these people?

the previous regime came with a lot of baggage, people already had some pretty strong opinions of Banner and Lombardi.. and yea, a lot of people didn't think too highly of them.. the current regime is much more of a blank slate, people don't know a lot about them so they are far more likely to get the benefit of the doubt the first time around..

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well I believe it's fine to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone BEFORE they make moves. Once they do, such as drafting players, you look at each move they have made and state how you feel about it.

I was very much in the "give them the benefit of the doubt" stage going into the draft. But now the draft is over.

If it is in fact known that Gordon failed a test and will not be playing for a great part of the season, I do question not giving Hoyer/Manziel a big target to throw to. I believe it puts Hoyer with very little starting experience and Manziel as a rookie at a huge disadvantage.

Now if both Matthews and Lee fail to be good WR's, no harm, no foul. But they were both on the board at #35.

But I do believe you have missed addressing a key component in helping develop your QB's when they have no true possible #1 WR on the team.

I also find it odd how so many were wanting Watkins even with the belief Gordon would be playing and now seem to be so quiet. I didn't want Watkins at #4 because I believe that's too high of an investment in a WR at #4 unless you believe he's the second coming of Megatron.

But I do believe more people are making excuses for the lack of addressing the WR position than actually believe what they're saying. Unless they've simply convinced themselves of it post draft.

And as you so aptly pointed out when it came to Bridgewater and his agent, the agent works for Bridgewater.

Just like Farmer works for Haslam.

So nobody really knows for sure who's call Manziel was. And after all, if as YTown believes, they weren't really "sold on any QB", why not maximize profits in the meanwhile?

Not sure if I believe that or not, but it is food for thought while some seem so quick to dismiss it.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
after what happened with gordon i wish we would have got a stud wr too.

All i know is that i look at the draft from a probability standpoint. I don't remember the article a few years back, but it stated that less than half of the players in the first round become solid to great players. It had positions broke down as well. Later rounds were even worse.

The best draft imo....if it could be held in a perfect world, would be to rank our board, and then as the draft plays out, and its our pick, we are looking at the best player on our board...and it happens to be a position of need.

For all we know, bortles was our highest ranked qb....if he's there at 4 we take him...he's not, then we go watkins, or trade down. We got the killer offer to trade down so now we are picking 9th.

When that pick comes up, we could pick manziel, who would be a reach for a need, because we have a higher ranked player, gilbert, on the board. By picking gilbert, we stay true to our board and take our highest ranked player, which happens to fill a need too.

Then as our next pick approaches, manziel is by far our highest ranked guy, so we go up and get him.

We could very well have gotten our top 3 ranked players at positions of need.
These are the guys that have the best chance to succeed in our system...doesn't mean they will, but they have a decent chance...alot better than taking guys we ranked lower.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I look back on this draft and as I see it, all of our picks were in positions of need and fit the scheme.

Do you really feel they were at the top of our board based solely on the players, or partly out of need and fit?

If you feel it was the latter, then a WR at #35 would have fit into that category as well.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Did Farmer Really Draft Bridgewater?

Link Copied to Clipboard