Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://q.usatoday.com/2014/05/12/nfl-dra...n-hoyer-haslam/

This is a good thing IMO. JM needs to hit the weight room and study up.

But I'm pretty sure it won't be long before our favorite QB is the backup once again.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He'll still start week 1. I refuse to believe otherwise.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah, I doubt it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He'll still start week 1. I refuse to believe otherwise.

I think that Hoyer starts the season. Manziel gets in, maybe, after our bye week, which is really early this year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why start 0-3 before giving your franchise QB the nod, though?

Legend
Legend
Manziel is still very raw in a lot of regards. If teams blitz him right now, they'll kill him. He is not good against the blitz. He needs coached up. I don't think that he gets there by week 1 ... but we have our bye following week 3, which means that his 1st start could be week 5, with all of training camp, then 4 more weeks of the regular season to get him set to go.

I just don't think that he'll be ready to play, and protect himself, from day 1.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Why start 0-3 and throw him to the wolves? That's how bad habits become permanent.

I think Hoyer will start, but it's going to be ugly for him. The fans are going to chant for Manziel, and Hoyer will get benched early (unless he absolutely lights it up).

Personally, I'd like to give Manziel enough time to play this year so that we can evaluate make a decision in the event that we have a shot at Winston next year.

I'd hate to have a shot at him and pass because we were screwing around with a low odds project.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
The Giants were 5-4 when they switched from Warner to Manning..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Who says he's our franchise QB?

Other than getting drafted in the first round, what has he done to earn that job and designation?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If it is an open competition and Hoyer beats him out, we have serious trouble. Look I like Hoyer, but he is a career backup that had two good games and got hurt.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If it is an open competition and Hoyer beats him out, we have serious trouble. Look I like Hoyer, but he is a career backup that had two good games and got hurt.

And one of those good games, he only completed 55.5% of his passes and threw 3 INT's.

Another of his good games, he only put up 17 points, and let the defense win the game for him.

Then left losing 10-0 to Buffalo.

Browns QB play has been so poor for so long that people are excited about average QB play.

Legend
Legend
The only thing I'll disagree with is the "He's a career backup.." argument point..

He was backing up Tom Brady..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Who says he's our franchise QB?

Other than getting drafted in the first round, what has he done to earn that job and designation?

Zero, zip. zilch, nada. And to me, he will have to be re-invented to ever live up to the hopes of many.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The only thing I'll disagree with is the "He's a career backup.." argument point..

And was cut by a team starting Carson Palmer with backups Ryan Lindley and Drew Stanton

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

And Big Ben and John Skelton...

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's what I've been saying about that situation for quite some time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Zero, zip. zilch, nada. And to me, he will have to be re-invented to ever live up to the hopes of many.

Or he'll re-invent the way the QB position is played.

The game is heading in that direction. Might as well be Manziel that does it.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Or he'll re-invent the way the QB position is played.

The game is heading in that direction. Might as well be Manziel that does it.

Yeah I see a lot of old timers having a real hard time coming to grips with this.

B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

Here is how it is going to work.

Hoyer starts. If we win, he continues to start. If we lose he gets in after the bye. if we sort of flip flop and are at .500, it will be arounf week 9-10 before the coach says Manziel has improved in practice to the point he is now the starter.

My hope is Johnny doesn't play much this season...next season is when I hope he takes over and we can trade a highly desired Brian Hoyer

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

And was cut by a team starting Carson Palmer with backups Ryan Lindley and Drew Stanton

If cutting a player for someone else, automatically meant that that player sucked, then there would be a lot less good players in the NFL..

I'm not saying Hoyer IS THE GUY or anything, but I have no problem with him starting the year..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I make no predictions about who starts game 1, game 4 or game 16. I know this, no one starts 16 games for the Browns. I do hope he sits a while. Not for any other reason than I want him to get familiar with the playbook, get timing down, let the QB coach get him used to an NFL pocket. Everybody is DYING for the quick fix. I just don't want the quick fix to be the quickly broken. Then what?

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

J/C

Here is how it is going to work.

Hoyer starts. If we win, he continues to start. If we lose he gets in after the bye. if we sort of flip flop and are at .500, it will be arounf week 9-10 before the coach says Manziel has improved in practice to the point he is now the starter.

My hope is Johnny doesn't play much this season...next season is when I hope he takes over and we can trade a highly desired Brian Hoyer

preeeeecisely

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I make no predictions about who starts game 1, game 4 or game 16. I know this, no one starts 16 games for the Browns. I do hope he sits a while. Not for any other reason than I want him to get familiar with the playbook, get timing down, let the QB coach get him used to an NFL pocket. Everybody is DYING for the quick fix. I just don't want the quick fix to be the quickly broken. Then what?

Start over next year.

Look, all this argument about "start a guy right away" vs. "sit and learn"

There's no right answer.

It's been done both ways.

At the end of the day, the guys who can play figure it out and the guys who can't don't.

Don't waste time, lets find out sooner rather than later if Manziel can play at this level.

You drafted him to be the guy. Put him in there Week 1.

P
Legend
Legend
P
There are 2 QB's in the league at or under 6' tall that are having success. Brees and Russel. That makes 30 other QB's that simply don't fit that description.

Then you have RG3 who many said the same thing about. He didn't last a season healthy. Manziel will have to change the way he plays a lot or be on IR a lot.

And he doesn't have many of the QB attributes of Wilson in terms of going through his progressions. Media hype doesn't change who JFF is.

Remember, he's the same guy who says on one hand he doesn't want to be called Johnny Football on the other hand puts in for a trademark on Johnny Football.

So you have the immaturity factor too. If you believe the hype, more power to you.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The worst is when he comes in and looks GREAT during Preseason..

Playing 2s and 3s, vanilla defenses.. etc..

I think that might be worse than him playing bad.. Media/Fan Frenzy wise..

B
Legend
Legend
B
Neither do I, and he probably will.

Unless Johnny burns it up in practice and his chances in games.

He is the deal with a rookie, high pick QB....once you go to him, it's hard to go back without damage being done. To me it is a whole lot better to not go with them if at all possible.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Remember, he's the same guy who says on one hand he doesn't want to be called Johnny Football on the other hand puts in for a trademark on Johnny Football.

So you have the immaturity factor too. If you believe the hype, more power to you.

Immaturity?

Or maybe he realizes he's going to be called Johnny Football, regardless of what he wants, and doens't wanna miss the opportunity to cash in on it?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Eh..., you see I think there is a right way and a wrong way. It can be hard to tell which is which in a given scenario but this scenario, IMO, is going to require the kid learn some skills and mechanics he just doesn't have yet. I think this is very much a situation where you give this kid 4 or 5 losses in a row and tough beating and you just don't know which way he's gonna break. How about setting him up to success a little?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

More or less just commenting here .... but ....

Sometimes it takes a bit for the lights to come on for a guy. Hoyer wasn't exactly a top pick in the draft, and he wasn't thrown into the greatest of situations with the Cardinals.

Hoyer was claimed of waivers by the Cardinals on 12/10/12. (after he was released by the Steelers)

He then started games for the Cardinals on 12/23/12, and 12/30/12. It's not like he had a huge amount of time to prepare with his new team.

Why the Cardinals decided to cut him and keep the others is open to debate ..... although I think it;s because the Cardinals ran a more vertical offense, and Hoyer was more of a short game QB. .

When Hoyer was with new England, in limited duty, he went 27-43 for 286 yards, with 1 TD and 1 INT. Solid, if not spectacular.

Given Hoyer's strengths, he should fit Shanahan's offense fairly well. He can make all of the short throws, uses the TE well, and is excellent on pre-snap reads. I think that he can have some success in Shanahan's offense, especially if we can get a running game going.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

When Hoyer was with new England, in limited duty, he went 27-43 for 286 yards, with 1 TD and 1 INT. Solid, if not spectacular. .

6.65 yards per attempt = Spectacular

#BrownsFans

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah that's it. People often times put in for trademarks they have no intention of using.

Look, if you believe a guy who is under 6' tall can run around and not get creamed in the NFL, you have every right to that belief. Sorry if I don't share your view. History doesn't share your view either.

Now if he were the size of Big Ben, maybe I could see it. But he's not.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Look, if you believe a guy who is under 6' tall can run around and not get creamed in the NFL,

I don't believe that.

My belief is that he made GREAT strides from year 1 to year 2 at Texas A&M as a pocket passer.

I think he can be successful as a pocket passer in the NFL, while having the ability to keep broken plays alive.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Look, if you believe a guy who is under 6' tall can run around and not get creamed in the NFL

Yep.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Look, if you believe a guy who is under 6' tall can run around and not get creamed in the NFL,

I don't believe that.

My belief is that he made GREAT strides from year 1 to year 2 at Texas A&M as a pocket passer.

I think he can be successful as a pocket passer in the NFL, while having the ability to keep broken plays alive.

What are you talking about? Manziel BARELY EVER passed the ball at A&M, and when he did, it was only after he ran around a bunch, and only when he Threw it up to Mike Evans™

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yup. All the more reason that he be required to EARN the job.... because if he DOESN"T beat out Hoyer and gets the job anyway simply by virtue of where he was drafted, then we have an even BIGGER problem.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
1 out of 32. I just don't like those odds.

IF that's what ends up happening, that will be somewhat of a re-invention of JFF. And like I said, if that can be done, then we stand a chance of having found our franchise QB.

It just hasn't been done yet and there's no insurance that it can be done.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
A whole 4:12 seconds of pocket passing!?

I agree that he got somewhat better. But even you yourself have admitted he has to get better at it.

So let's both hope he does.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm more upset that he made me listen to Nickleback..

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny football told to prepare as a backup. This is not hollywood.

Link Copied to Clipboard