2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
B
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/0

Quote:

Browns
4-12

Last Week: 28 Busy weekend for the Browns, picking up Justin Gilbert, Johnny Manziel and Buffalo's first-round pick next year.

So we are the worst team in the league as of right now?

We were 28 but moved down to 32 after the draft... I'm guessing that is a reaction to the Gordon news but still....

Legend
Legend
Fine with me ... bulletin board material and nowhere to go but up. Pre-season rankings are completely worthless.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Until proven otherwise, we will always be 32 on espn. Havnt won much to get out of that spot.

Legend
Legend
This team has as much, or more talent than probably 10-12 other teams, at least. That's excluding Manziel.

I hate that people act like we are bereft of talent. We actually have players who could play, and start, on other teams. If we get the QB spot right, this team will take off big time.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Fine by me. I'm not a big bulletin board material guy, but there's only one way to go from there...

Every year one of these teams ranked in the bottom 5 or 6 end up having a good year... I believe KC had a low ranking last year.

Jacksonville, Cleveland, St. Louis, Buffalo, Tampa. I bet one of those teams wins more than 8 games next year.

Legend
Legend
Taking everything into account and trying not to be my pessimistic self, I'd rank us between between 24 and 27 right now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
What's a power ranking and why is it something we should concern ourselves with?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
It's filler discussion material between now and training camp.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

rookie head coach. puts you right at the bottom.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Taking everything into account and trying not to be my pessimistic self, I'd rank us between between 24 and 27 right now

I think roster-wise, that we could even be better than that...

It's all about the QB position though. I can't rank us high based on potential. Brian and/or Johnny has to ball out.

Legend
Legend
I love it.

Show it to every player in the lockeroom.

Legend
Legend
I will file this right alongside all of the mock drafts.

Seriously, could there possibly be a more meaningless "power ranking"?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess we're forgetting we won 4 game last year and 9 of the last 10?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe this is the 4th time in the last 5 years they ranked the Browns 32nd. The never get the best right, they never get the worst right. I wish I could get a job where I get to be less accurate than the weatherman.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

This team has as much, or more talent than probably 10-12 other teams, at least. That's excluding Manziel.

I hate that people act like we are bereft of talent. We actually have players who could play, and start, on other teams. If we get the QB spot right, this team will take off big time.

I don't think it's as much of a perception of talent as it is a over all perception of the new owner, FO, coaching staff, structure, continuity, and leadership with the Browns.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I believe this is the 4th time in the last 5 years they ranked the Browns 32nd. The never get the best right, they never get the worst right. I wish I could get a job where I get to be less accurate than the weatherman.

We haven't had more than 5 wins in 4 years.. I'd say that's fairly accurate.. the fact that other teams have figured out how to be worse is no consolation. We are 32nd for our overall body of work.. and while we may not deserve 32, we deserve to be pretty close.. just go out and prove them wrong. as the saying goes, "It is what it is, until it's not"

yebat' Putin
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I would love to go back through the last decade-plus and compile every thread where people get angry because the national media says we stink.

Chanting superbowl at training camp....

E
Legend
Legend
E
And some people wonder why I call them all BOZOS...lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would love to go back through the last decade-plus and compile every thread where people get angry because the national media says we stink.

Chanting superbowl at training camp....

Weeden's gonna throw for 4,000 yards, 27 TD's, 12 INT's

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Rankings are largely pointless.

There are playoff teams and non-playoff teams. These can also be called "good qb teams and bad qb teams". It just so happens the bottom 10 teams are both the bad qb teams and non-playoff teams. The bengals being the exception that proves the rule.

The differences within these tiers is negligible, but you would expect the good teams to beat the bad teams on a week by week basis.

32 or 22 I don't really care. When we get into the top 10 I might care.

Legend
Legend
We got Kiperized. Meaningless. Meh. . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Fine with me ... bulletin board material and nowhere to go but up. Pre-season rankings are completely worthless.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

They may be worthless, but in the recent past they have been very close to accurate.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
J/C .....

I am actually reminded quite a lot of KC when I look at the Browns. A significant number of Pro Bowl players, a solid defense, solid talent throughout the roster, all in need of a QB to help pull i all together.

This year we'll have a new coach, and we drafted a QB, where the Chiefs signed one ..... but man, the 2 teams look a lot alike heading into next season. I thin that the Browns can make a big leap forward this coming season.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Is this a power ranking of the power of the Browns draft rounds 1-7, or is this a power ranking of the Browns team vs the other 31 teams?

I think it's clearly the 2nd one, after reading other responses.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/0

Quote:

Browns
4-12

Last Week: 28 Busy weekend for the Browns, picking up Justin Gilbert, Johnny Manziel and Buffalo's first-round pick next year.

So we are the worst team in the league as of right now?

We were 28 but moved down to 32 after the draft... I'm guessing that is a reaction to the Gordon news but still....

New FO,new HC and staff,and no top WRs...so even though we don't think we are nearly that bad,I can see why they ranked us last.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
No doubt we'd be higher if it weren't for Gordon being a dumbass. Having said that, the perception of talent in Cleveland is clouded by the number of pro-bowlers. We're not as far along as most think. That just happens to be why I'm so glad we didn't spend the 4th pick on a QB. If Manziel craps the bed, we still got the best corner in the draft...a far better bet than any QB...and we have the Bills 1st rounder next year.

We're moving in the right direction, but we're not a very talented team.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Outside of freak of nature teams like San Francisco's linebackers or the Seahawks secondary I don't see a wide gap between the Browns and most teams...except at the QB position.

Could you or anyone else explain what I'm not seeing? What do we lack compared to the rest of the AFC north and other top teams besides the QB position? (Obviously the Bengals aren't that far ahead and compensate with Bernard and a ridiculous defensive line)

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Ah, you want me to don the bullseye, eh King?

Keeping in mind that said ranking takes into account no Gordon. With that in mind, one could argue we have the worst group of receivers in the entire NFL.

At TE, Cameron is it, and is a very poor run-blocker. The rest? Bums.

I can make a case that beyond Mack and Thomas...two pro-bowlers...we don't have another starting caliber guy on the line.

Tate and a rookie at RB...better than last year, but a bunch of question marks.

Who is our fullback?

We have one proven linebacker and three question marks.

We have questions at corner where Skrine played better but isn't a starter, and while I dig Gilbert he, like any other rookie, is unproven.

We now have a proven Safety but the other spot seems to be a rotating door.

QB? Knowing the bust rate of the position should tell everyone that we don't grade out highly until Manziel actually does something.

On the D-line we have a bunch of "names" but no guys which are going to put fear in any OC. Taylor IMHO is badly over-rated around here and is in a make-or-break year.

Then there's our depth. It's not special. Seeing what we have at WR after taking Gordon out of the equation should open peoples eyes to that fact.

I don't believe we're the worst team in the league, but I do believe we belong in the bottom part of the rankings.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
"Hater"...

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We have Cameron, who is far more a receiving TE than a blocking TE. We also have other role players at TE. This is similar to other teams in the NFL. Dray and Barnidge are decent backups/role players. We also have Gray, a developmental kid, who is very talented. We'll see how he does over time, but I don't see this unit as a weakness. Compare the Browns to the Steelers. We have Cameron, Dray, Barnidge and Gray as our top 4 TE right now. The Steelers have Miller, Spaeth, Pailson, Palmer, and Blanchflower. I'd take our TE in a heartbeat. I think that we have a more well rounded unit.

Quote:

I can make a case that beyond Mack and Thomas...two pro-bowlers...we don't have another starting caliber guy on the line.

And I'd call BS in a heartbeat.

2 years ago we ran a WCO, and our QB was Brandon Weeden. Think about this. How many times was Weeden sacked in that season? 28 times in 15 games. That's astonishing, given how badly his instincts turned out to be. We return 80% of that line, Thomas, Greco, Mack, and Schwartz. I would take our OL over the Steelers OL.

Quote:

Tate, West, Baker, who looked good in limited duty, Lewis, who looked good in the preseason, Obi, who is a solid backup, and Crowell, who might be the most talented of the bunch. There is very good talent here. Are there question marks? Sure. I feel better about this group than the group we had last year though, that's for sure. We don't have a ton of experience, and while the entire group we have could all bust ..... I don't think that happens. Shanahan has done very well taking unknown backs to big success. Question marks are better than sure losers. I think that we have some solid talent here, and we'll wind up having to cut talent at this position.

Quote:

Who is our fullback?

Umm .... is this really vital? As long as he can knock snot bubbles out of the opposition, he'll be fine. If not, then we'll adapt to a 2 TE setup, and we are well situated for that.

Quote:

Inside, I presume? Yeah, I am worried here. I love the Dansby signing, and think that he will be a huge upgrade over DQ. I am really concerned about Kirksey. I don't see a lot there, but Pettine seems to, so we'll see. This is an area of concern to me.

Quote:

Rotating door? Gipson played the entire year last year. I don't know if he will develop into a top flight FS, I like the signing of Whitner. I think that we upgraded here, but I have FS as a possible position to upgrade in 2015's draft.

Quote:

QB? Knowing the bust rate of the position should tell everyone that we don't grade out highly until Manziel actually does something.

This is the #1, 2, and 3 question going into this year. Do we finally have that franchise guy, or are we still looking for him? If Manziel can adapt to the pro game, we'll be a winner. If not, we'll struggle. This is the single biggest question this team faces.

I think that you overestimate the depth of teams around the league. Other teams have established, veteran leadership, and can more easily handle sliding a backup into a starting role. They can adapt a unit to accommodate a replacement player. They know for sure what their guys are capable of. This is out biggest weakness right now, behind QB.

I also do worry about WR. However, I think that Shanahan has shown that he can adapt even without a dominant #1. Look at the Redskins 2012 season. Who was their #1 receiver? How many yards did he have? Hint: Garcon had 633 yards and 4 TD in 2012. He developed into a #1 the following year, but to that point was kind of just "a guy".

We'll see what happens. I think that this team makes a big step forward this year, and many of the units you "question" will play a big part in their success.

Hope I hit the bullseye a bit.

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
Quote:

Ah, you want me to don the bullseye, eh King?

Keeping in mind that said ranking takes into account no Gordon. With that in mind, one could argue we have the worst group of receivers in the entire NFL.

Who is our fullback?

We have questions at corner where Skrine played better but isn't a starter, and while I dig Gilbert he, like any other rookie, is unproven.

On the D-line we have a bunch of "names" but no guys which are going to put fear in any OC. Taylor IMHO is badly over-rated around here and is in a make-or-break year.

Then there's our depth. It's not special. Seeing what we have at WR after taking Gordon out of the equation should open peoples eyes to that fact.

I don't believe we're the worst team in the league, but I do believe we belong in the bottom part of the rankings.

Well, I think this answers your talent evaluation level... not the worst I've seen, but you definitely are in the bottom part of having ability...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Every year I read these exact same type of things. Projections and hopes of what can be.

Every year we end up with those falling short. Sure we hope things play out with our draft. We hope Manziel will end up being a franchise QB. We hope this FO pulls some rabbit out of their hats at the WR position.

But as it stands, it's all hope and projections. Seems every year I see us rated near the bottom and every year I see quite a few of our fans being offended and making claims that never come to fruition as the season plays out.

I admire your optimistic outlook, but history points to the fan base overall being far more optimistic than realistic.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Here's the thing though ..... even though our results haven't improved, that is due more to the QB spot than anything else. With competent QB play, I think that the Browns have enough talent to win now. However,they don't have enough talent to overcome incompetent QB play.

No stunner here ...... the QB is the single most important factor between this being a good team, and more of the same.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Thanks Toad.

Like I said though, I understand Browns have deficiencies at WR 2, FB, FS, OG/RT, Linebacker, and possibly CB.

But is that unusual across the league?

A team like the Broncos last season, the superbowl runner up.. weren't they practically riddled with holes? As best I can recall they had a somewhat decent OL (was it any better than ours?) and Manning, good WRs, Julius Thomas, and then a pretty lousy defense in general.

I don't think having holes at positions is unusual. I think the ranking system for teams is pretty meaningless, it seems to me rank falls into the top tier and not the top tier. Every team has fairly significant holes. I think having superstars at important positions or having an entire unit being a wrecking force is necessary for victory.

That is part of the reason I like doubling down with Gilbert and grabbing Manziel. Having a great secondary and a good QB can do a lot for a team.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And I'm not sure we have that problem solved yet. At best it's an unknown. I'm not saying we might not have that problem solved over the long term. But once again, it's an unknown. Which is why we're rated so low.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And I'm not sure we have that problem solved yet. At best it's an unknown. I'm not saying we might not have that problem solved over the long term. But once again, it's an unknown. Which is why we're rated so low.

Oh I agree that we don't know what we have in Manziel yet ...... but we do have a competent QB in Hoyer, which in and of itself is more than some other lower tier teams can say. I think that our talent with an unproven QB is better than a lot of other teams with an unproven QB.

One advantage is that we do seem to be following a more old school/Seahawks/49ers style, where we build the entire team, QB, run game, defense, and special teams ...... as opposed to focusing solely on the QB, and expecting him to carry the team. We still need the QB, but we are building the team so that we can win with less than superstar QB play.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree that's what is attempting to be done here. I'm just not so sure that will be accomplished with a bunch of rookies this year.

Occasionally a rookie here or there has a break out year, but far more times than not there are growing pains. I'm hoping for the best, but I believe with our WR situation, we simply don't have enough weapons to make a big leap this year.

That's all subject to change, but as of this moment, I just don't see that being this year. And while I see their goal, I don't believe we are the Seahawks or 49'ers yet.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Here's the thing though ... at least as I see it.

Our top 4 RB will probably include one rookie.

Our OL will include 1 rookie, and the others were extremely effective in the zbs under Shurmur.

Our defense will include a 1st round rookie CB, and brought in veteran leader at SS and ILB. The big question mark for me is at ILB. The defense is a young veteran unit, and have largely played together for the past year.

We had solid special teams units last year.

The biggest development opportunities are running the ball, and QB. On defense, 3rd down defense is the biggest opportunity I see. We addressed all of those in the off-season, and in the draft. We should be able to run the ball, given the positional upgrades we made, and the change in scheme. Our 3rd down defense should be improved with an upgrade at CB, and hopefully Kirksey will be an improvement. QB is still the biggest question. It is the only one that can overcome deficiencies in the other 2. However, I don't think that we'll see major deficiencies in the run game and 3rd down defense this year. I am excited to see this team come together.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Here's the thing though ..... even though our results haven't improved, that is due more to the QB spot than anything else. With competent QB play, I think that the Browns have enough talent to win now. However,they don't have enough talent to overcome incompetent QB play.

No stunner here ...... the QB is the single most important factor between this being a good team, and more of the same.

We had much better overall QB numbers across the board last season compared to 2012 and still won one less game. We had pretty good QB play in 3 of our losses (JAX, CHI and NE), well and still lost

We have some talent, but most teams have some good players. We left too many needs unattended last season and are about to do the same mistake this season. I keep preaching that in a tight league as the NFL, where every weakness gets exploited, you're only as good as your weakest links. Our FOs keep forgetting that. Last season we were the equivalent of a roster that had a couple of number one starting pitchers and AAA guys at spots 3 to 5. You're a .400 at best even if you have studs at the other spots.

I expect another "flash" season and falling short at the end yet again.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Power Rankings: Post NFL Draft (Browns in last place)

Link Copied to Clipboard