R

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

t...now that got out of hand!

Did you see that I stabbed a guy with a trident?

Are you Poseidon?

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You stabbed a guy with a piece of gum? Did you berry him later?

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You stabbed a guy with a piece of gum? Did you berry him later?

ouch!

Better watch revealing all this evidence. some gumshoe may crack the case

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
I see this as a very smart move by the front office. They want and expect Hoyer to play well enough to keep Johnny on the bench which is where they want him and where he should stay all year IMO. They just want to move the gas can away from the fire until Johnny learns the position in the NFL and is ready to play rather than have to hear all the distractions of those screaming to put him in the game before he is ready

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They want Johny to win the spot, they expect Johny to win the spot but they also want Johny to earn the spot. that competitive fire and leadership is about to be tested. Hoyer is ahead of him and isnt gonna back down to anyone. It is a challenge and keeping the national press away early, will pay off long term.

Build the positive habits now. The star will come if you produce.

Legend
Legend
AMEN BRO

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I just don't see how Haslam saying this to the press helps squelch the media fire. I believe it only adds to the flames.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
But the flames have jumped away from Johnny and onto the FO. Brilliant.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
J/C

this is all much ado about nothing

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If that was the intent, then I agree. Good thought.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C

this is all much ado about nothing

I think you are correct..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Well, we just disagree on this one. I believe it's all about getting to Johnny Football. Outside of Browns fans, the media could care less about Haslam in the grand scheme of things.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
it would be the Browns. Instead, they told me to cancel my flight. SMH.

And that is what this is all about - not the Browns and if they can handle it...actually this action is to do just that...HANDLE IT.

Just a Wah Wah!! from a Bozo - His boss told him btw...get that JM story. A real reporter would work their way to Berea anyways and find a way to get a story!

These guys aren't real reporters unfortunately...ergo "Bozo"

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
It's not even hard to write a story about how Manziel will look during it. Just say some positive things about JM, call the Browns inept and build up a QB controversy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
RG3, not Tebow, could be driving Browns’ handling of Manziel
Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
Shanahan Getty Images

It’s become fashionable to chastise the long-irrelevant Browns for the manner in which they’ve handled their sudden burst of relevance. And since I have zero sense of fashion, allow me to look at this a different way.

The Browns have blocked the national media from Johnny Manziel’s first minicamp, explaining that they don’t want a repeat of Tebowmania. The better comparison could be not Tebow but Robert Griffin III.

Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has seen this movie before. Continuously for two years with his eyes held wide open, Clockwork Orange-style. Kyle and his father, Mike, saw RG3 become the most powerful man in D.C. not residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, with owner Daniel Snyder embracing — and perhaps fueling — the idea that it was Griffin’s team.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam seems to be determined to avoid, or at least to minimize, a repeat of that phenomenon. While keeping the national media out will do nothing to decrease national media interest in the Browns and Manziel, the effort provides tangible proof that the Browns are trying to not let Manziel become bigger than the team.

That may not be enough to ensure that Manziel and Shanahan will be able to coexist. Manziel’s penchant for improvisation doesn’t mesh with Shanahan’s preference that quarterback play be virtually robotic.

“During the course of a regular game, Kyle Shanahan wants you to run the offense exactly how he wants it, down to the amount of hitches you take to go through your progressions,” former Shanahan pupil Rex Grossman said back in 2011.

Manziel may comply during the early portions of a play, but once things start to collapse he may decide to do his own thing, which may drive Shanahan crazy.

Which leads back to the question of whether the coaching staff and the front office really wanted Manziel in the first place. By all appearances, it was a pick that was at least indirectly influenced by Haslam and/or the homeless guy in Cleveland. If so, the challenge for Haslam will be to ensure that Manziel never figures that out — and that he never abuses the power he already possesses in Cleveland, regardless of what the team now does to try to contain it.
web page

All Pro
All Pro
Screw New York, all they want is QB controversy.

GO BROWNS!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Yep, that's all New York media types care about is a QB controversy in Cleveland!

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Manziel’s penchant for improvisation doesn’t mesh with Shanahan’s preference that quarterback play be virtually robotic.

Interesting observation from Florio...considering that RG3 does plenty of improvisation and it was what made him so good his rookie year.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is about a NY beat reporter stamping his feet.. who cares?

The media will see JM and the REST of the Browns soon enough.. heck.. I intend to attend at least one session of camp this summer. I usually do anyhows..

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Yep, that's all New York media types care about is a QB controversy in Cleveland!

If they are going to give Cleveland the bandwidth, it's not going to be something positive, that much I can say with relative certainty... and a QB controversy is low hanging fruit for this team...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I think it is a solid idea. Why cater to any media that craps on you. Simple enough. We intend to win games with him, and we are focused on football. Can't have a media circus without media. Serves notice about who is in charge. Kids (and QBs) need to know where the lines are.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Gee, Millcreek, now what are the chances of a QB controversy in Cleveland? It seems easier to gin up and manufacture the story you WANT to write than focus on the STORY like reporters due. Anymore it takes a panel of talking heads, a ginned up artificial controversy, and a negative to write. Lame.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I'm trying to figure out what the press wants? What info are they after? "Hey JM do you like your locker?" "Have you tried on your uniform yet?"
For real what questions do they have that they don't have answers to at this point?

There's really nothing to be gained from them accept to try to get him to say something stupid so people can run with a sensationalistic story.

In a perfect world, you could actually protect your rookies from that type of thing for the long run. That would be nice.

But the rules of the NFL only allow you to monitor the press for rookie mini camps. After that things will get crazy. It takes away from the learning process and serves no useful purpose. But ratings, hype and money are a big part of the NFL as a business, so rules are set up that prevent ownership and coaching staffs a lot of power to protect rookies from the press.

In our case, they can flex their muscles for a New York minute, but after rookie mini camp, as it all unfolds, it's going to be another RG3/Tebow type circus and nothing will stop that.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Actually, I think that's exactly what they'd love to have happen with a high profile guy like Manziel..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
j/c here

I didn't like reading the articles/speculation about Shanahan wanting his QBs to be like "robots" and scripting out their every move during games. If that is the case, Manziel shouldn't have even been on our draft board.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c here

I didn't like reading the articles/speculation about Shanahan wanting his QBs to be like "robots" and scripting out their every move during games. If that is the case, Manziel shouldn't have even been on our draft board.

that didn't sound good, but you probably can't convince me that Pettine and Farmer didn't have that conversation with Shanahan and came to a resolution.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c here

that didn't sound good, but you probably can't convince me that Pettine and Farmer didn't have that conversation with Shanahan and came to a resolution.

Yeah we'd assume so. Scripting too much with Johnny simply won't work. That's honestly probably one thing RG3 didn't like about Shanahan if true.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Hasn't this guy got his hands full trying to cover the Giants and Jets?

I love thy "Why did you draft the guy?"

Oh I dunno, to win football games?

My thoughts exactly.

We draft him because we think he can win for us. Not to have people from other sports networks come and tailgate at our camps.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Bart Hubbuch

A real reporter can get an interview. Idiot media pansies complain because e-mails are not replied to and phone calls are not returned while they drink coffee at Starbucks.

F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F

Screw New York media. Screw BSPN media since they will find any way possible to bash Cleveland sports just for kicks. I have always felt that the Browns FO needed to put their feet down against such media anyway and, in the metaphoric sense, give them the middle finger. Bar those media airheads from the stadium if you can manage it. Oh wait...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Bart Hubbuch definitely is chapped about this and making the most of his 15 minutes. Here is the latest article blasting the Browns.

The guy got into a spat with LaCanfora on twitter previously. Poor guy seems attention starved.

Article

Legend
Legend
Wow. It looks like Throw Long wrote that article.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Wow. It looks like Throw Long wrote that article.

Maybe THROW LONG is Bart Hubbuch. Bart Hubbuch is THROW LONG.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If they are going to give Cleveland the bandwidth, it's not going to be something positive, that much I can say with relative certainty... and a QB controversy is low hanging fruit for this team...

I would say that the media doesn't necessarily hate Cleveland ..... but man, when i think back to how they were trying to push Lebron out of Cleveland as soon as they could, championing larger market teams left and right, well, I find it impossible to do.

I don't even really know if it's hatred ..... but more an attitude that Cleveland just doesn't deserve success, because as a city, they just aren't exciting enough to cover regularly. If you can go to NYC to cover the playoffs, or to LA ......... or have to head to Cleveland .... where would most yapping pundits rather go? To the big city with the brightest lights, of course.

Look at ESPN, with ESPN LA, and ESPN NY, and so on. They love the bright lights, big city.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Big city = more people. More people = more money. Big city = more money.

ESPN is a business. The goal of a business is to make money.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had to laugh at that article. How dare the Browns turn us down for credentials, we are the post damn it lol.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

j/c here

Yeah we'd assume so. Scripting too much with Johnny simply won't work. That's honestly probably one thing RG3 didn't like about Shanahan if true.

Good point, I would hope that Shanahan learned from that experience with RG3. I mean, that was a botched partnership and it really didn't need to be.

One of the reasons I like how they are handling Manziel (and for that matter, all of the draft picks and recent signings) is that nobody, not one of them is going to be allowed to get a big head.

Not sure what other teams are doing (if anything) to prevent the "Big Head" syndrome, but I like this approach.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Manziel may comply during the early portions of a play, but once things start to collapse he may decide to do his own thing, which may drive Shanahan crazy.

I would be very very disappointed if JM DID NOT improvise when things "start to collapse" - I don't understand why it would drive Shanahan crazy. As long as JM gives the designed play it DUE before doing his own thing. My goodness Wilson just won a SB with his own thing when plays broke down...

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I would be very very disappointed if JM DID NOT improvise when things "start to collapse" - I don't understand why it would drive Shanahan crazy. As long as JM gives the designed play it DUE before doing his own thing. My goodness Wilson just won a SB with his own thing when plays broke down...

jmho

That's what makes Johnny Johnny. (that looks a bit stupid typed out...)

Why wouldn't he improvise when things break down? That's what makes him electric. That's why teams would draft him. Not because he sat back in the pocket, it was his ability to extend plays and make things happen.

Didn't get his logic there....

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 New York Post is so mad right now - Johnny Football

Link Copied to Clipboard