Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#885373 05/14/14 04:40 PM
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
In the Pierre Desir thread on the Draft forum, WSU Willie stated that he thought that Skrine would do well as a Free Safety.

If Desir doesn't have the physicality, tackling desire, and closing speed to convert do you guys think Buster could? Could he be good? Do you think that is being floated around Berea?

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The smallest (best) safety in the league is 5-10 202lbs.

Buster Skrine is 5-8 185lbs.

Bob Sanders was 5-8, but 205lbs

FYI

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think our best hope is to play him in a star position and have him run around making plays like Tyrann Mathieu. But I also doubt that he has the awareness to do that.

Legend
Legend
I would love it if Desir could transition, he's already got the ball hawking ability.. Just need to see if he has the instincts...

Plus he's tall.. I love tall DBs.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
Quote:

Buster Skrine is 5-8 185lbs.

FYI

Thats what I was thinking.

O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
That makes sense, but we've all heard that Desir isn't the most motivated tackler.

Many would have you believe he is a good one on one cover guy and that is it.

Legend
Legend
I'm not going to pretend like I've ever seen the guy play a single down of football other than a couple highlight clips but the report I read said that is very instinctive, plays zone and man well, attacks the ball well, average tackler...

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Not that it matters to the current coaching staff, but I believe the Skrine-to-FS experiment was tried early last offseason. They moved a bunch of people around to try some things in drills/practice (specifically in the secondary and on the Oline). They were just kicking the dust and nothing came of it.

Also, Skrine has shown before that he's a good nickel corner, with the recently discovered/developed ability to spot-start on the outside when injuries occur. Let's not mess with that.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think Desir's biggest strength is his press coverage, putting him in a position to not utilize that strength is silly.

Legend
Legend
j/c

I don't think Skrine has the size to play FS, but that's just my amateur opinion honestly. I do recall him lining up at FS a few times last year, but mostly after the defense blitzed and the secondary shifted or rotated.

And as an aside, how many players at other positions have been speculated by fans to transition to FS? Seems like it's someone new each year.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Not a bad idea in theory. Skrine impressed me with his tackling ability last year. I do not think he would be an upgrade to Gibson though.

Personally I don't see FS as a huge need. I thought Gibson really improved last year and played well. I didn't see any reason to think he will regress and become the weak link. With a better scheme and better pass rush along with the talent around him I am comfortable with him at FS. JMHO.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The question is really, would Skrine be better at free safety than Gibson? With a follow up being is Skrine more valuable as the nickel corner than at safety with someone who is a question mark taking his spot?

If Skrine only played safety in our base defenses then I think that would be fine. Just don't ask him to do much in the way of run support. Then in our sub packages (what we will be using most of the time) Skrine covers the slot with Gibson back at free safety.

All in all. It is probably best for Skrine to just stick at corner. He will get a very healthy amount of playing time there and he is an unknown at safety.

E
Legend
Legend
E
1. Gepson made incredible strides from UDFA rookie to 2nd year starter...no reason to think that PROGRESS will not continue, possibly not at the leap forward of last season but still get better. With Whitner as a mentor and next to him in Pettine's D he should learn a lot more.

Haden + our other star CB - Skrine as the slot CB...Desir or another in the #4.

From all that I read possibly as a rookie player Desir can come in as a NICKLE Safety and ball hawk. But his future with us is at CB...we could end up with the best 4 CB unit in the NFL...We are preparing ourselves for a possible rise in the spread O to the NFL. We will be ready. Pass Rushers on DL n OLB along with a solid CB man unit!

Depth at safety...as a UDFA that is what Gipson was CB n Safety depth and he balled out!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Buster is a pure CB who is still learning. He will not be moved to FS imO, but he will make a great number 3 or 4 CB by the end of this season.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Gipson is underrated on this board. He is a pretty good player,especially when you consider it was his first year as a starter. And what year was he in? 2nd?

Skrine is too small for FS. He will probably be moved inside to cover the slot receivers, even if he is better than Gilbert.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Gipson is underrated on this board. He is a pretty good player,especially when you consider it was his first year as a starter. And what year was he in? 2nd?

Skrine is too small for FS. He will probably be moved inside to cover the slot receivers, even if he is better than Gilbert.

Gibson covered a lot of other players mistakes last year, and while I have tried to keep my mouth shut about him I think many peoples attitudes while change about him by the end of this season.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Skrine is the perfect slot corner, and will play that role in the nickel.

And he's too small for safety.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Skrine is the perfect slot corner, and will play that role in the nickel.

And he's too small for safety.

Exactly.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Quote:

1. Gepson made incredible strides from UDFA rookie to 2nd year starter...no reason to think that PROGRESS will not continue, possibly not at the leap forward of last season but still get better. With Whitner as a mentor and next to him in Pettine's D he should learn a lot more.

Haden + our other star CB - Skrine as the slot CB...Desir or another in the #4.

From all that I read possibly as a rookie player Desir can come in as a NICKLE Safety and ball hawk. But his future with us is at CB...we could end up with the best 4 CB unit in the NFL...We are preparing ourselves for a possible rise in the spread O to the NFL. We will be ready. Pass Rushers on DL n OLB along with a solid CB man unit!

Depth at safety...as a UDFA that is what Gipson was CB n Safety depth and he balled out!

jmho

I was in fla during the draft. did not have a computer to see how you thought the draft went. mind giving me your opinion. I had to listen to espn which I think has the worst coverage of the draft. I had heard that farmer soured on Watkins 2 weeks before the draft. thought that gorden with his pending ban of 1 year could have made farmer think he don't need 2 wr who could be banned at the same. the trade for buffalo's 1 in 2015 was a great move. we need to have some great drafts when you have 2 first round picks

D
Legend
Legend
D
IMO, keep Buster as #2 or nickel depending on how Gilbert comes in and does. Completely solidify the cornerback crew with scrappy guys that are best when singled-up man press. Dangerous for opposing offenses and any safety going to be happy and excel IMO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haden & Gilbert on the outside, Skrine on the slot, Desir on the 4th, Kirksey on the TE, Whitner & Gibson deep. I'm okay with that. See how Tashaun does this year and if he step it up, great, if not it's a need easily addressed next year. I thought Desir may possibly be a candidate for FS, but I see the points against that and love the fact that we added depth with a taller CB. I don't see Skrine moving to safety, but I do think he will shine on the slot. He covers well and has great recovery speed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
O
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
O
I had no idea he is that small.

Sounds like many of you are OK with Gipson.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Skrine is the perfect guy NOT to be a full time starter, but it's good to know that he can jump in if needed and do a credible job.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Frankly, I was hoping for Ha-Ha or Calvin Pryor, but the FO & coaching staff seem satisfied to start the season with Tashaun starting so I'm going to keep and open mind and keep an eye on him. I hope he can progress into the player they think he can. He did have 5 INTs, a TD and a dozen passes defended.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think that Gipson showed great development last year, and expect that he'll continue to develop.

He also grabbed 5 INT last year, and is a fairly solid tackler. I d think that he needs to clean up a few things in his game, and become even more consistent with his tackling, but the skill is there. To me, it is far more a matter of consistency than ability.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

I think Skrine is the perfect guy NOT to be a full time starter, but it's good to know that he can jump in if needed and do a credible job.

I've never been a huge fan of Gipson and I think last year's starter may lose his starting role. unless he can't adjust to Pettine's defensive scheme.

JMHO
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've never been a huge fan of Gipson and I think last year's starter may lose his starting role. unless he can't adjust to Pettine's defensive scheme.

Who is his replacment

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bademosi

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I really like Bademosi. He has good size, great speed, can tackle like a LB ..... but man, he has been shoved back and forth between both Safety spots and CB. (especially last year) I really wish that they would develop him in one spot. I think that he could really develop into a strong player.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like him on ST, and like the way he hits, just not sure he's cut out for coverage at the FS spot. Haven't seen a lot of it, but he seems more suitable for playing in the box.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He played some CB and has played well in coverage at that position. FS would have easier coverage responsibilities than CB. He's 6' and 200# ..... and runs a 4.39 40. He is also a superb tackler.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't recall seeing him play at CB, or at least not paying attention when he did. I'll take your word for it. He seems like a thumper though from what I've seen on STs.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He played a bit towards the end of 2012. He did a really good job there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I really believe Buster will make a better Safety than CB ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I think Skrine is the best #2 CB in our division...I think he will (again) start on the outside as the #2 CB and move inside on 3rd down...if Gilbert and Desir develop as hoped, I think Skrine is seriously looked-at at the FS position.

Whitner is the thumper...Skrine is very tough and a great tackler even if not the biggest guy...he is a terrific tackling / run-stopping DB.

My guess is that Pettine is willing to look at Skrine in a variety of roles.

Legend
Legend
With the importance of the 3rd CB, I like Skrine right there. That 3rd CB is almost a starting position anymore. I feel that Skrine is well suited to playing there, and I think that we're in great shape with Haden, Gilbert, and Skrine as our top 3 corners.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

He played a bit towards the end of 2012. He did a really good job there.

He did. I was actually very surprised at how well he covered Dez Bryant that game.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

With the importance of the 3rd CB, I like Skrine right there. That 3rd CB is almost a starting position anymore. I feel that Skrine is well suited to playing there, and I think that we're in great shape with Haden, Gilbert, and Skrine as our top 3 corners.

I agree with you there YTown. I'm just saying that if Gilbert & Desir get to where we'd like...getting the best DBs on the field could have Skrine upgrading Gipson. (And I am fine with Gipson right now.)

I think Skrine has a better skillset to play FS than do the two new guys - although their 'tape' is only college at this point.

For 2014 barring weird injuries...Skrine is the #2 CB on 1st & 2nd down and maybe moves to the slot on 3rd down if Gilbert can play right away. I could even see Skrine staying wide for the year while Gilbert/Desir get up to speed.

I believe Skrine is the best #2 CB in our division...even if a little under-sized.

I too really like Bademosi...not sure why he didn't get more play last year when we were hemorrhaging at #3 CB.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

For 2014 barring weird injuries...Skrine is the #2 CB on 1st & 2nd down and maybe moves to the slot on 3rd down if Gilbert can play right away. I could even see Skrine staying wide for the year while Gilbert/Desir get up to speed.

In what world do teams only play two corners on first and second down?

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

In what world do teams only play two corners on first and second down?

haha, the NFL 10 years ago maybe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Buster to Free Safety?

Link Copied to Clipboard