Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#885493 05/15/14 12:03 AM
B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
What are your thoughts on Earl. He is a pretty good possession receiver but can't stay healthy.

Tony Grossi is reporting Browns signed him. I'm not sure how reliable since I haven't seen any other statement.

Rookie
Rookie
Bennetts nephew also tweeted it and so did another Browns website..I dont know much about him

There's always next year
B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Actually, Jake Jones, Sports reporter for the Helena, Montana, tweeted and Toni Grossi reported per Jake Jones Bennett was signed by the Browns.

National media is to concern they can't visit Browns rookie camp! They are leaving Cleveland fans hanging!

Legend
Legend
Receivers who can run routes precisely, and catch consistently, are vital to the success of a WCO.

Bennett has had a little success in Chicago. He has experience in the WCO, having played under Tresman last year, as well as his 1st 2 seasons in the NFL. He's an off receiver, but he is a veteran, and that can't hurt in a camp that will be dominated by very young receivers.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Didn't realize he's only 27. I still want to look at Santonio Holmes, Miles Austin and Danario Alexander. I think with a healthy Austin and motivated Holmes our WR core would become at least average instead of awful.

B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Good point YTown. Chicago isn't much of a WCO explains why his numbers dwindle

More news...
Cleveland Browns sign Earl Bennett by Andrew Melnick

Again, small time web site not sure validity.

B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Didn't realize he's only 27. I still want to look at Santonio Holmes, Miles Austin and Danario Alexander. I think with a healthy Austin and motivated Holmes our WR core would become at least average instead of awful.

Scratch Danario Alexander. I like the kid a lot. Saw a few of his games while at Missouri. Kid is damaged goods. Operations on both knees he is lucky he can still walk. He won't make a season. Come December...it wouldn't be pretty.

B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B

Legend
Legend
I like it!

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

What are your thoughts on Earl. He is a pretty good possession receiver but can't stay healthy.

Tony Grossi is reporting Browns signed him. I'm not sure how reliable since I haven't seen any other statement.

He's a decent receiver, but not a #1.

I think had Josh Gordon not been busted (allegedly), that they could have made this move and not really had to depend on Greg Little.

B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
I don't think Farmer will be able to replace Gordon picking up receivers off the waiver wire. He will need to make a big trade. I hope he stays clear. We should know by years end whether Johnny or Brian is our QB. Address the issue next year in the draft drafting the best scheme complementary receiver.

Earl is more like what we thought Bess would bring last year. YTown gave a good assessment Bennett being more a WCO. Mixing Earl with Benjamin and Hawkins provides a good mix at the receiver position.

All three of these guys became castoffs, so it is their time to step and make a name for themselves. Add Little to the mix too. Competition between Little and Bennett should be interesting it'll be make or break for both.

IMO, adding Bennett stabilizes the receiver corp. You won't compare this group to New Orleans or Denver, but it is every bit as good if not better than the Jets who finished .500 last year. With the upgrade at RB, Browns offense will have solid balance for scoring points.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I don't think anyone will trade a true #1 receiver prior to the season.. regardless of what is REASONABLY offered. Best bet may be to pick up Miles Austin as a FA. Austin, Burleson, Hawkins would make a very good starting lineup and 3 veterans to work with Manziel...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
E
Legend
Legend
E
We might sign one late for a 1 year contract...they all are dreaming about that mega multi year contract still. Got to wait. Of course we know how important the position of WR is so those guys should get an amazing Multi year contract soon ...

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

I don't think anyone will trade a true #1 receiver prior to the season.. regardless of what is REASONABLY offered. Best bet may be to pick up Miles Austin as a FA. Austin, Burleson, Hawkins would make a very good starting lineup and 3 veterans to work with Manziel...

I disagree. I think the Browns are ok at receiver. Unlearn what you have learned. Norv Turner is no more. Switch your thinking to play action, bubble screens, and slants.

Who on the Browns make s perfect blocker setting up a bubble screen? Little? Bennett? What does Johnny Football do well? Who makes a pretty good receiver in open space? Hawkens? Benjamin? Burelson?

Switch your offensive mind set to Chip Kelly. Wait a minute...isn't that who Haslam wanted last year but was turned down? Oh how the world turns!!!

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

I disagree. I think the Browns are ok at receiver. Unlearn what you have learned. Norv Turner is no more. Switch your thinking to play action, bubble screens, and slants.

Who on the Browns make s perfect blocker setting up a bubble screen? Little? Bennett? What does Johnny Football do well? Who makes a pretty good receiver in open space? Hawkens? Benjamin? Burelson?

Switch your offensive mind set to Chip Kelly. Wait a minute...isn't that who Haslam wanted last year but was turned down? Oh how the world turns!!!

Agreed!

JMHO
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Actually Chip Kelly runs a spread offense based off of a west coast offense. Sumlin ran his spread off of an air raid offense. So they're not really the same thing even though they look similar.

B
bugs Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Actually Chip Kelly runs a spread offense based off of a west coast offense. Sumlin ran his spread off of an air raid offense. So they're not really the same thing even though they look similar.

Chip uses a run base spread. Not at first but later I thought Shurmur was a prefect fit. Chip mixing his run game with Shurmur's WCO passing schemes, see Rams during Bradford's rookie year, is a nice combination.

Shanahan, I assume, will use a similar concept he used in Washington. He may integrate more of Chip's run game with the number of RB's Cleveland has on board.

Legend
Legend
I hope Bennett lets off some steam.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Wow. Can't remember the last Commando reference I've seen. If ever.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
web page

#Browns announce they've signed WR Earl Bennett and DL Elhadji Ndiaye. Earlier agreed to terms with WR Miles Austin.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Browns sign Earl Bennett and Elhadji Ndiaye
Posted 5 minutes ago

Clevelandbrowns.com
@Browns Facebook
BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns on Thursday signed veteran WR Earl Bennett and undrafted free agent DL Elhadji Ndiaye. General Manager Ray Farmer made the announcement.

Bennett, a 5-11, 209-pound veteran, enters his seventh NFL season out of Vanderbilt. Originally a third-round (70th overall) draft pick by Chicago, Bennett has appeared in 78 games with 29 starts all with the Bears. He has totaled 185 receptions for 2,277 yards with 12 touchdowns. In 2013, he recorded 32 receptions for 243 yards with four touchdowns in 15 games.

He finished his collegiate career as the SEC’s all-time leader in receptions with 236. He logged 2,852 receiving yards with 20 touchdowns and set school records for receiving yards in a game (223), touchdown receptions in a game (five) and games with 10 or more receptions (nine). A native of Birmingham, Ala., Bennett graduated from West End High School.

Ndiaye, pronounced ee-LIE-juh JIE (rhymes with tie), joins a group of 11 undrafted free agents signed by the Browns Monday.

Born in Senegal, the 6-4, 265-pound Ndiaye attended Nebraska-Kearney, where he led the team with six sacks in 2013. He attended New Utrecht High School in Brooklyn and transferred to Nebraska-Kearney after playing basketball at Grossmont (Calif.) College. His younger brother, Dame, is a defensive lineman at Portland State.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...a9-cb578b6e6cda

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
wow, Miles Austin + Earl Bennett + Nate Burleson looks like a real life NFL Wide Receiving Corps!

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Wow. Can't remember the last Commando reference I've seen. If ever.

Don't disturb my friend Banner, he's dead tired.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Nice Signing ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Good signings... says really bad things for Gordon though -- and probably also for our opinion on Little.

~Lyuokdea
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

wow, Miles Austin + Earl Bennett + Nate Burleson looks like a real life NFL Wide Receiving Corps!

Amen my brother! Amen!

JMHO
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

sometimes sarcasm is extremely funny! Superbowl here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

I agree Bugs....nice post. Just as us fans call for coaching needing to change it's thinking.....us fans need to change our thinking as well. We are gearing up for a running game and a quick strike passing attack. It's not going to be the same as it was.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would like one, large dependable target at WR. But at least they're making an attempt to bring in some veteran leadership, so I give them credit for the attempt at any rate.

I like the idea you brought up earlier somewhere about trading for Crabtree. They seem to be pretty smart about value so I don't believe they would overpay to get him.

Sounds great if it happens.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Good signings... says really bad things for Gordon though -- and probably also for our opinion on Little.

I know some of you were holding out hope for Gordon, but get over that....he's done, and has been done. The Browns are making the necessary adjustments to provide decent short term help.....I assume Gordon will be back in 15. If not, no biggie....we are winning 9-10 games without him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Who?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Who doesn't. Austin is 6'2"....he is a big target. Dependable...he can catch, but he seems to miss time because of injury.

Same as Gordon really....a nice player who you can count on missing time. Austin because of injury, Gordon because of suspension. This looks to be the 2nd year in a row Gordon will miss time due to suspension. If you go back to college, who knows how many years in a row the cat hasn't been able to pass a urine test???

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes it's six of one and half a dozen of the other I guess.

But I'm with you on the injury concern.

I still like the idea you mentioned about going after Crabtree.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Yes it's six of one and half a dozen of the other I guess.

But I'm with you on the injury concern.

I still like the idea you mentioned about going after Crabtree.

I'd see what they wanted, and then guage what he wanted.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Geriatric band aid.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

Geriatric band aid.

Since when is "just turned 27" geriatric?

~Lyuokdea
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Geriatric band aid.

Since when is "just turned 27" geriatric?

He thought it was Edgar Bennett.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Geriatric band aid.

Is that when the Rolling Stones do a show to raise money for charity?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Geriatric band aid.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Geriatric band aid.

Can you believe that Paul McCartney is 71?

Berry Gordy is 84.

Willie Nelson is 81.

Charlie Daniels is 77.

Jerry Lee Lewis is 76.

Little Richard is 79.

Fats Domino is 83.

Chuck Berry is 85.

Brian Wilson is 71

Roger Waters is 70.

Keith Richards and Mick Jagger are both 70.

Pete Townsend will be 69 on Monday.

Roger Daltry is 70.

Debbie Harry is 68.

Robert Plant is eligible for Medicare this year at 65.

I feel really old.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Earl Bennett Anyone?

Link Copied to Clipboard