Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#885653 05/15/14 03:02 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
link

#Browns announce they signed WR Miles Austin.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Hey now... we're getting somewhere

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like it.

Makes me wonder what's about to go down with Gordon, though...

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

link

#Browns announce they signed WR Miles Austin.

Awesome! This guys has shown that he can be the best WR in the league and is a guy I hoped we would sign as soon as the draft ended. I know he is coming off of a nagging hamstring injury, but a hamstring injury is not something that he can not overcome.

You also have to take into account that his lack of production was hampered due to the presence of Dex Bryant as their #1.

I think he can come in right away and put up very capable numbers and be a very big presence here!

Good job Ray Farmer!

JMHO
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I like it.

I think they expect him to be gone..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

I like it.

Hopefully this is just insurance in case Gordon can't play. I'm not sure Austin is a true # 1 WR, but he certainly isn't bad.

If Gordon is able to play, Austin has a lot of value. If Gordon can't play, at least we have a WR who isn't awful.

Seems pretty bad that a step up for our WR corps is "not awful."

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Like this signing a lot for a band aid stop gap. I still want Santonio Holmes because he has experience as a #1 WR.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Browns Sign Miles Auston

The Cleveland Browns have signed former Dallas Cowboys veteran wide receiver Miles Austin, the team announced.

Austin is a two-time Pro Bowl selection who was cut in March and designated by Dallas as a post-June 1 release.

Austin struggled with hamstring injuries last season and caught just 24 passes for 244 yards and no touchdowns.

He caught 66 passes for 943 yards and six touchdowns in 2012.

For his career, the former Monmouth (N.J.) standout has 301 receptions for 4,481 yards and 34 touchdowns.

There was a report that the Browns were signing wide receiver Earl Bennett, but the Browns have made a different announcement and have signed Austin.

Pro Bowl wide receiver Josh Gordon is facing a potential NFL suspension for reportedy failing another drug test.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Burleson, Bennett, Austin, Hawkins is a lineup with some promise. It might also be a complete failure since Burleson and Austin both have injury histories and age.

Obviously true #1 WRs are hard to find so without Gordon we simply will lack that position. One of the best WRs in the league isn't easy to replace

D
Legend
Legend
D
I read that Holmes had the most severe type of LisFranc foot injury and that he might be done as a player. I thought I posted a link somewhere here on DT - will try to find.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Burleson, Bennett, Austin, Hawkins is a lineup with some promise. It might also be a complete failure since Burleson and Austin both have injury histories and age.

Obviously true #1 WRs are hard to find so without Gordon we simply will lack that position. One of the best WRs in the league isn't easy to replace

I like having veteran WRs. They will learn the playbook and help Manziel out.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

There was a report that the Browns were signing wide receiver Earl Bennett, but the Browns have made a different announcement and have signed Austin.

So is Bennett out before he was even in?

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Browns Agree to Terms With Miles Austin

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to terms wide receiver Miles Austin.
The longtime Dallas Cowboy led the NFC in receiving in 2009 with 1,320-yards and is a two-time Pro Bowler. Austin boasts 34 career touchdowns in eight career seasons.
We speculated the Browns interest in Austin earlier this week and wrote the following.
How many times in sports do we see someone who we think is on the decline, only to see a new city and jersey do wonders for the player?
Austin became a victim of not getting the football enough in the Dez Bryant/Jason Witten-centered offense. His stats suffered. His mindset wandered. He might not be the Pro Bowler he was in 2009, but his career isn’t over, either.
Austin, 29, has plenty left to offer and could become a hefty asset to Cleveland’s new-look offense. He joins Nate Burleson as the other new veteran to join the Browns’ wide receiving corps.
The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Monmouth alum had 49 catches for 244-yards in 2013.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

So is Bennett out before he was even in?

Yeah, it appears as though that's the case.

Miles Austin is a much better option than Bennett. This guy has a proven track record and think he makes an excellent addition to our WR Corps. He is a straight edge guy with a hard line approach to the game. Multiple Pro Bowls. Only 29. He has a lot of football left in him, and he will be the feature receiver in our offense IMO.

I also believe that Gordon won't be out for the entire year. Imagine pairing him up w/ Gordon on the ends. Could be a remarkable tandem to go along w/ a punishing run game.

We are definitely in the business of winning immediately.

JMHO
D
Legend
Legend
D

Legend
Legend
Good signing. He and Bennett give the Browns a couple of experienced veterans to go along with a lot of youth at the position. (at least until Burleson comes back from injury)

Austin was extremely effective for 2 season back in 2009 and 2010 .... looking like a #1. He then had some injuries, but did have a solid year in 2012, with 943 yards and 6 TD. As the roster is currently constructed, he is probably the closest thing to a #1 receiver we have if Gordon is out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Whatever happened to this guy? Was it just the injuries? He was a really solid WR for a few years...

You're not just going to find a #1 in the scrap heap unless it's some undrafted kid nobody knows about, so this may be our best option right now.. I also don't buy the whole Andre Johnson being traded.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I like it.

I believe they expect he will be gone for the year but even if they come out tomorrow and announce the failed test was all a mistake, this is still a good signing.

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

He's only 29... and when he's healthy he's a very good receiver. I like this pick up a lot. Just have to hope we catch lighting and his injuries are behind him.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Good signing. He and Bennett give the Browns a couple of experienced veterans to go along with a lot of youth at the position.

Don't think we signed Bennett after all. Do like this signing though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a good signing. Between the receivers we already have, the udfa, and now the signing of Austin I think we'll be o.k. I don't think we need to make a trade. Let's hold onto our draft picks and see what happens with JG.

We can keep scouring the waiver wire from now right through all the camp cuts and see what's out there.JMHO.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Good signing. He and Bennett give the Browns a couple of experienced veterans to go along with a lot of youth at the position.

He's signed, There is a link on the Bennett thread.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The best part about this is that the front office is addressing a known problem instead of ignoring it.

Legend
Legend
I have to wonder if they didn't want veteran WRs to go with a rookie QB, especially in the WCO,which is a precision based offense, where receivers need to be where and when precisely.

F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Yep. This was the guy I've been suggesting for a while now. When he's healthy, Austin is a productive WR. I like this move since we now have a competent WR in our corps regardless of what happens to Gordon.

Welcome to Cleveland, Miles Austin!

C
Legend
Legend
C
For the most part all we had was veteran wide receivers. Gordon would have the youngest of the main guys and he was going into his third season.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yup he's signed..

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...a9-cb578b6e6cda

also some other guy I never heard of is signed..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The best part about this is that the front office is addressing a known problem instead of ignoring it.

The best part of getting a huge prospect like JM is, many big name NFL FA's will actually consider signing on with the Brown's now. None of them would have given us the time of day a month ago.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
good signing while I will be in wait & see mode. Still, his numbers seem solid. Good add for the rooks, too.

Just win, baby.

Shanny might want to throw it around some, it seems.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, talk about conflicting reports.

Browns sign Earl Bennett and Elhadji Ndiaye

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns on Thursday signed veteran WR Earl Bennett and undrafted free agent DL Elhadji Ndiaye. General Manager Ray Farmer made the announcement.

Bennett, a 5-11, 209-pound veteran, enters his seventh NFL season out of Vanderbilt. Originally a third-round (70th overall) draft pick by Chicago, Bennett has appeared in 78 games with 29 starts all with the Bears. He has totaled 185 receptions for 2,277 yards with 12 touchdowns. In 2013, he recorded 32 receptions for 243 yards with four touchdowns in 15 games.

He finished his collegiate career as the SEC’s all-time leader in receptions with 236. He logged 2,852 receiving yards with 20 touchdowns and set school records for receiving yards in a game (223), touchdown receptions in a game (five) and games with 10 or more receptions (nine). A native of Birmingham, Ala., Bennett graduated from West End High School.

Ndiaye, pronounced ee-LIE-juh JIE (rhymes with tie), joins a group of 11 undrafted free agents signed by the Browns Monday.

Born in Senegal, the 6-4, 265-pound Ndiaye attended Nebraska-Kearney, where he led the team with six sacks in 2013. He attended New Utrecht High School in Brooklyn and transferred to Nebraska-Kearney after playing basketball at Grossmont (Calif.) College. His younger brother, Dame, is a defensive lineman at Portland State.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love these veteran signings. If, and I do mean if, we are going to a zone block, have a moving pocket, a run heavy offence (sorry if my terminology is off... put it down to me being Australian :P), then I think its very important to have these veterans, that while have slowed down, can run tight routes, and also use their experience to take advantage of gaps in zone coverage.

Based on what I saw on Shanahans offence with Washington, I think we just might be ok with signing veterans.

Then again I could be totally wrong about the sort of offence I am expecting next year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

then I think its very important to have these veterans, that while have slowed down, can run tight routes, and also use their experience to take advantage of gaps in zone coverage

If we are going to have questionable WRs, I'd rather have questionable veterans than questionable young guys..

I know young guys have more upside but JM or Hoyer, for that matter, need somebody they can rely on right now, not somebody who might be better 3 or 4 years from now.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
These are win now moves ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And as I said above, these are guys that can provide some stability to young and inexperienced QBs...

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
j/c

Starting to love this FO. Finally moves that make sense. I still wish they had gone WR in round 3 instead of Kirksey but the pickings were getting a bit thin.

Both guys are decent receivers. Not Gordon good but if we have decent talent across the board, we know have guys that can make plays if they are there.

It doesn't make up for Gordon but it also will keep teams from stacking the box on us.

Legend
Legend
QB: Hoyer, Manziel, Shaw
RB: Tate, West, Lewis, Crowell
FB: Pressley
WR: Austin, Burleson, Bennett, Hawkins, Little, Benjamin, Snead (+Ch. Jones +Shaw +C. Johnson)
TE: Cameron, Dray
LT: Thomas
LG: Bitonio/Greco
C: Mack
RG: Pinkston/Gilkey
RT: Schwartz

LE: D. Bryant, B. Winn
NT: Taylor, Kitchen
RE: Rubin, Hughes, Bryant
LOLB: Kruger, Groves
SILB: Dansby, Carder
WILB: Robinson, Kirksey
ROLB: Sheard, Mingo
CB: Haden
CB: Gilbert
Nickle: Skrine
FS: Gipson
SS: Whitner

Man, that's a pretty solid lineup all of a sudden. Pulling Bennett and Austin out of their hats was a big move to improve this team.

Kudos.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

And as I said above, these are guys that can provide some stability to young and inexperienced QBs...

Amen

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

I like it.

Hopefully this is just insurance in case Gordon can't play. I'm not sure Austin is a true # 1 WR, but he certainly isn't bad.

If Gordon is able to play, Austin has a lot of value. If Gordon can't play, at least we have a WR who isn't awful.

Seems pretty bad that a step up for our WR corps is "not awful."

Milues Austin came out of nowhere a few years ago - as an undrafted free agent - and led the Cowboys in receiving for multiple years. Went to multiple pro bowls, and he is only 29 years old. He still has a lot left in the tank.

He had an injury ridden season last year due to lingering hamstring issues and a drop in production in conjunction with the emergence of Dez Bryant, one of the most physically gifted and productive WR's in the game today led to Austin's downfall in Dallas, but even still, I read many reports that Dallas wanted him to resign with them BADLY and that they would have never let him get away if it weren't for his contract. They wanted him to come back signing a cheaper deal. Wisely, he chose to become the potential #1 in Cleveland.

And in regards to his hamstring issues last year, that is an injury that a WR can overcome! Our strength coach will assure that this is the case.

I expect Miles Austin to be our Starting 'X' receiver this year and I think he can put up more than capable numbers until Josh Gordan comes back from his suspension

If/When that happens, Austin and Gordon will make for an amazing 1-2 punch (barring injury) with Hawkins and anyone else in the slot with the other receivers getting game time in different packages.

This move has me almost just as excited as I was the night after we drafted Johhny Football. We have some decent depth in the passing Game now w/ Austin, Cameron, Hawkins, Burleson, Little, Benjamin, and a couple of others being it a mix of UDFA's, potential pick ups from cuts that other teams make during training camp, and maybe another move by 'Trader Ray'.

Our Running Game could go from worst to first with Tate, West, Crowell, and our Top 5 offensive line w/ the addition of Joel Bitonio in the draft and Paul McQUistan in FA. Our team is beggening to take shape folks and really like what I see!

I think Our O-Line WIll Look Like this:

Thomas (LT) - McQuistan (LG) - Mack (C) - Bitonio (RG) - Schwartz (RT)

Now before you immediately state that Schwartz is a weak spot, he had a very good rookie year in the WCO (which Shanahan runs) and was not as bad as everyone made him out to be last year. Don't forget, besides Hoyer, he had to block for QB's that held onto the ball way too long and playing Tackle for multiple QB's and not being able to just to one QB's tendencies can make a pro bowl tackle look like crap. Sure, he got beat by speed rushers, but he had no help in Lavauo as well who was clueless out there IMO. Good Luck Washington .

I can finally forget about the gaping hole at WR and focus more on how we develop our young UDFA's at the position and also how Johnny Manziel clicks with out WR Corps in camp! Farmer!

JMHO
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Amen

Austin is one of the best WR's to mentor a young group. He's always been a stand up guy. One of the best character guys you will find (from what I've read). Also known as being an excellent route runner.

Terrance Williams (Cowboys WR) stated that Miles Austin "kept my mind straight when I wasn't thinking well...He showed me how to (be a more creative route-runner)."

This was an awesome pickup as opposed to Smoketonio Holmes which I would have been very skeptical about. WTG Ray Farmer! I'm really stoked right now...not so much because I think Miles will be an all-pro, but because I know he can be a more than productive receiver again, and maybe even more importantly, add to what could be the best pair of mentors this young WR corps needs in he and Nate Burleson.

JMHO
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I like it.

Really? I think we all know exactly what's going to go down with Gordon. If you're still wondering, then you're extremely naïve or simply living on another planet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign Miles Austin...

Link Copied to Clipboard