Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is what he texted to the Browns! How can you not love this guy?

ESPN

"Cleveland quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains said a text he received from Johnny Manziel on the opening night of the NFL draft last Thursday helped get the ball rolling toward the Browns picking the former Texas A&M star quarterback.

During a radio interview on "SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly" on ESPN Arkansas 96.3, Loggains said that as Manziel slid down the draft board, he sent him a text that read: "I wish you guys would come get me. Hurry up and draft me because I want to wreck this league together."

Added Loggains: "When I got that text, I forwarded it to the owner (Jimmy Haslam) and to the head coach (Mike Pettine). I'm like, 'This guy wants to be here. He wants to be part of it.' As soon as that happened, Mr. Haslam said, 'Pull the trigger. We're trading up to go get this guy.'"

Legend
Legend
Hmm

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If that is true, I am not a fan of how ti all went down. That is literally the opposite of how Haslam and Farmer described it. That Haslam at no time got involved.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

If that is true, I am not a fan of how ti all went down. That is literally the opposite of how Haslam and Farmer described it. That Haslam at no time got involved.

What are you hearing? I thought Haslam gave input, but he did not place demands getting any one specific person. Loggins stated it was good open dialog between FO and coaches. I think you maybe over analyzing.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

What are you hearing? I thought Haslam gave input, but he did not place demands getting any one specific person. Loggins stated it was good open dialog between FO and coaches. I think you maybe over analyzing.

That was my understanding.. He gave his opinion and input and left it to Farmer.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

As soon as that happened, Mr. Haslam said, 'Pull the trigger. We're trading up to go get this guy.'"

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As soon as that happened, Mr. Haslam said, 'Pull the trigger. We're trading up to go get this guy.'"

When he said that (if he actually said that) was it already a foregone conclusion that they were going to get him? Timing is everything people.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Sounds like the owner stepping in and be a Jerry Jones idiot to me....I really hope there's zero truth to this

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's how I read it too. it was widely reported before that Manziel was "Haslam's guy". This just further supports that. I mean how much does it matter at this point? Not much, but it is a little unnerving that IF our owner did base a 1st round pick on a text from the player basically saying "please pick me", then forced that pick on our GM(which is how I'm reading this as he didn't mention Farmer being interested in making that pick). Johnny is on the team now, but if that's how it went down, I don't like it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When he said that (if he actually said that) was it already a foregone conclusion that they were going to get him? Timing is everything people.

Yeah I agree. If they were already set on him and Haslam said this it's not that big of a deal really. Look at the Peter King story, there was competition for the pick for Manziel anyways.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

The answer to that question depends on if your optimistic or pessimistic as we'll probably never know.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

The answer to that question depends on if your optimistic or pessimistic as we'll probably never know.

Loggains revealed the Browns tried to trade up to No. 11 with the Titans and No. 16 with the Cowboys.

"Mr. Haslam and coach Pettine had called me down to the draft room a couple of times throughout the night and we had almost made trades with Tennessee and Dallas and backed out,'' he said. "...We were sitting there and coach Pettine keeps texting me, and we're going back and forth and we're going 'hey does Dallas take him here, no they won't. Does St. Louis take him at 13?' We knew we had to get in front of the Chiefs (at No. 23) because we knew they would draft him.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/johnnys_manziels_hurry_up_and.html

pretty safe to say we wanted him the whole time.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So If you are in discussions about moving up to get a player, and you get that as a text, it would be confirmation that the player would happy with the move.

Icing on the cake.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Loggains also said in the interview that Haslam was very high on Manziel, who was the top quarterback on the team's draft board.

"It was Manziel and then everybody else," Loggains said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/109404...-hurry-draft-me

Everyone in the organization wanted him. This just cemented it.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Wasn't it reported earlier that we wanted to trade up for Lewan at #11 and then for Cooks in the late teens? Maybe I'm just imagining it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Sounds like the owner stepping in and be a Jerry Jones idiot to me....I really hope there's zero truth to this

Baloney, it's about time we have an owner that really gives a damn and wants to put a winner on the field. That same old same old attitude is out the window in Berea and a contender is being born right before your eyes.

GO BROWNS!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Wasn't it reported earlier that we wanted to trade up for Lewan at #11 and then for Cooks in the late teens? Maybe I'm just imagining it

would they have the QB coach call them to say we drafted them? Dowell Loggains the QB coach was called up both those times.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

would they have the QB coach call them to say we drafted them? Dowell Loggains the QB coach was called up both those times.

I'm just reflecting back on the days immediately after the draft. Either the reports were wrong then or they are wrong now. I'm not sure what to believe. But, alas, it doesn't matter either way. We just have to hope Johnny can adapt and become the NFL player that we desperately need.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I agree. If they were already set on him and Haslam said this it's not that big of a deal really. Look at the Peter King story, there was competition for the pick for Manziel anyways.

Doesn't seem to stop the haters from Bashing does it

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
WGAS how he got here? He's here. People need to move on. The nonsensical over-analysis of every aspect of this is insane. If Haslam had anything to do with the pick, it's a travesty. If it was all Farmer and Pettine, we're in good hands. Haslam the TEAM OWNER possibly spoke up so now he's Jerry Jones. Ridiculous.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

WGAS how he got here? He's here. People need to move on. The nonsensical over-analysis of every aspect of this is insane. If Haslam had anything to do with the pick, it's a travesty. If it was all Farmer and Pettine, we're in good hands. Haslam the TEAM OWNER possibly spoke up so now he's Jerry Jones.

+1

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I agree.

Besides, it's very likely that we tried to move up twice for him, Haslam was part of those discussions, and when the text came in. the QB coach got really excited, and told his direct boss, and the owner.

Knowing that we tried to move up twice already, and were probably in discussions to get a pick we could take him with, Haslam probably said something like (with a smile) "Well, what are we waiting for? If the young man wants to be here this badly, then let's go get him."

I don't think that it was an order, but an casual affirmation of our current course of action.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

WGAS how he got here? He's here. People need to move on. The nonsensical over-analysis of every aspect of this is insane. If Haslam had anything to do with the pick, it's a travesty. If it was all Farmer and Pettine, we're in good hands. Haslam the TEAM OWNER possibly spoke up so now he's Jerry Jones. Ridiculous.

Look at the upside though.. now if Manziel fails, we can spread the blame around based on our preconceived notions.. some will blame Shanahan, some Pettine, some Farmer, some Haslam..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...f0-da28d1fae9f2

take a look at this video then tell me you really care how they got here and why they were chosen and who made the final call. Both of these young men are saying the right things. then if you get a chance, listen to Joe Hadens presser about signing his new deal and listen to what he says about Gilbert and Manziel and Hoyer.

It just doesn't matter. At first I admit, I was like, WHAT? Then I realized, there may be another explanation. Also, given that this is being reported by national media and they aren't being allowed into camp this weekend, I had to think, hey , they are already ticked at us. I mean they want to cover Manziel and I'm sure they are ticked not to be allowed to do so.

I have an app on my I-phone called NFL Mobile. On draft day, we were being praised on that app for taking Manziel. Today, there was a report that praised Dallas and Jerry Jones for passing on Manziel.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
but it was the pick BANNER got for us.

tradition can only carry you so far, then you have to start winning again.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And it wouldn't stop the haters if this story didn't see the light of day.

JM wanted to be a Brown, and the FO got their guy for once. Good job!

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Quote:

but it was the pick BANNER got for us.

Forgot about retroactively blaming people.. good catch.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At 22, he was the highest rated QB left on the board. Sitting at home watching the draft, I felt if we were going to take a QB at the bottom of the first, with Bortles off the board, he's the guy I wanted. Over Bridgewater, over Carr. I don't know that we were trying to move to 11 to take him exactly... could have been for Beckham, Mosely, Prior or Ha-Ha for all I know. But I thought the move up to 22 was smart and solid if Manziel was the guy they were targeting, particularly before Cincy picked or AZ got the chance to move up. I could give two squirts how we got him or who said pull the trigger.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Look at the upside though.. now if Manziel fails, we can spread the blame around based on our preconceived notions.. some will blame Shanahan, some Pettine, some Farmer, some Haslam..

True... however you left out fans and media who created the hype in the first place. Let's put credit where credit is due.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ok, let's believe what Loggains said.

He was brought in twice before, but a deal never was made, although those teams in the teens seemed to wait forever and wanted to move down (DAL did at least).

Sooo...

the question is: why was a deal not struck, if our FO was so enamored with Manziel? To me, this sounds as if there was at least one voice in that room that put on the breaks when we had to burn pick 35 or the 3rd+ other picks to "go get him". Somethin along the line of "I don't know if he's worth that much"

Then, the text came in, Manziel still dropped and the owner banged the table with "let's go get him". Imagine you're Pettine or Farmer (one of them must have been the one slowing the excitement down), what can you tell your BOSS now NOT to draft this guy

All of this really sounds as if Farmer (or Pettine) really hoped someone else drafted Johnny, lol

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
And the beat goes on...

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As long as we are arguing conjecture letr me add mine... all JMHO

I see the war room and if we believe what is being said all are on board wanting JM.

Smartly they do not make a panic move and take him at four , or 9.

They play their cards and hope he continues to fall.

Deals are almost struck, but we back out gambling the JM will continue to fall.

We know that we must get him before KC at 23, we are pretty sure that other teams ( Minnesota) are looking to move up as well.

It's geting clsoe to nut cracking time, the decision has to be made... then the tweet from JM... come get me I want to be there ( motivation for it.. is open for another debate).

The tweet is the tipping point... Haslam speaks up...ok guys we have pushed this far as we can... he wants to be here.. lets go get him before somone else does.

We make what by all accounts is a good trade to move up four spots and get the player everyboy wanted.

To me that does not sound like an owner shoving a player down a GM's throat.

But I like the move and I not have an issue with an owner speakng his opinion and I do not think Farmer and pettine are cowtowing to Haslam... but that's just me.

So.. let me have it.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree with most of what you wrote. I do NOT think that Haslam made that pick or shoved it down Farmer's throat. My point and "fear" is that the guys running the show didn't really want Manziel, but had a hard time telling it to their boss who was in full blown love with him. The following of your reasoning does not make much sense to me:

Quote:

Smartly they do not make a panic move and take him at four , or 9.

They play their cards and hope he continues to fall.

Deals are almost struck, but we back out gambling the JM will continue to fall.

Do you really "hope he falls" and "gamble" not only once (at 4), twice (at 8/9), three+four times (backing off from uptrade talks) but FIVE times when it comes to the QB you supposedly "wanted"?
Sorry, but I have a hard time believing it and if they did, it was everything but smart, even if it worked out in the end. If he was their guy and they let half the league decide if he falls to them or not, than that's stupid and everything but "smart", sorry.

It is as possible as my deduction, that one in the room had reservations and secretly hoped someone else took him off the board and off his boss' mind. You don't "gamble" that much when it comes to franchise QB, especially when you have non on the roster. It's vice versa imho: when he was "close" and "only" cost a 3rd our FO was willing to "gamble" on the Manziel-circus AND please their boss doing so. That makes a lot more sense imho.

To me, all of this sounds that the FO didn't really believe in ANY of the available QBs, so Manziel very well could have been their no1 ranked QB (at the time. A lot of what transpired post draft sounded like we wanted Bortles though, either him or Robinson at 4. Farmer more or less said the guy they wanted was gone at 4), but if he was and we passed three to four times and even gambled at 22 (vs Vikings), then it was careless at best.

#gmstrong

O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Quote:

I've never seen so much written about a draft pick...holy crap its almost getting old. It seems like the national media is ticked that we aren't letting them in and are trying to pick apart everything about this pick. Like you said, who cares at this point who made the decision.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
J/k

It's a feel good story, who cares if it's true or not...Lets just support him and hope he wins us some football games, bottom line thats what's important.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And it wouldn't stop the haters if this story didn't see the light of day.

JM wanted to be a Brown, and the FO got their guy for once. Good job!

you are probably right

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I do believe that not many teams wanted to trade down significantly in this draft. We tried to trade from 26 to 11, and I think that was too far down for the Titans to drop. (and/or the price was too high)

It seems as though most teams did not want to trade down more than 4-5 spots.

I do think that once Manziel began to fall, the Browns felt that he entered value range, and moved back up to get him. That range could have been anywhere from 11 to 22. That's really all we know for sure, as the Browns did try to trade to 11, but not being sure if it was for Manziel or not. I do think that the Chiefs would have taken Manzil if we hadn't moved.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And the beat goes on...

Yep.. so the lovers and haters of Pettine, Farmer, Haslam and Manziel can all dig their heels in and get even more emotional about this..... and this will only fuel the "JF is a polarizing player" mantra, though he really had nothing to do with it other than express his desire to play in Cleveland.. the fans will be split on it so JF will take the blame..

And I'm sure that if he does win the starting job, that will have been Haslam's doing as well..

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

is what he texted to the Browns! How can you not love this guy?

ESPN

"Cleveland quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains said a text he received from Johnny Manziel on the opening night of the NFL draft last Thursday helped get the ball rolling toward the Browns picking the former Texas A&M star quarterback.

During a radio interview on "SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly" on ESPN Arkansas 96.3, Loggains said that as Manziel slid down the draft board, he sent him a text that read: "I wish you guys would come get me. Hurry up and draft me because I want to wreck this league together."

Added Loggains: "When I got that text, I forwarded it to the owner (Jimmy Haslam) and to the head coach (Mike Pettine). I'm like, 'This guy wants to be here. He wants to be part of it.' As soon as that happened, Mr. Haslam said, 'Pull the trigger. We're trading up to go get this guy.'"

This is my favorite news of the day. It almost feels like how Bernie was playing his cards to come to Cleveland.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Just a silly thought.

We have no reason to believe Manziel didn't send this same text to a lot of other teams

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny Football "Hurry up and draft me, I want to wreck this league"

Link Copied to Clipboard