Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just a silly thought.

We have no reason to believe Manziel didn't send this same text to a lot of other teams

Valid point.. there were probably only 2 or 3 other teams that were even considering him but you are right, he might have sent it to others...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
j/c

I really like how the FO didn't panic and offer up too much for the 11th pick or the Dallas pick. I think they really wanted to move up before the Dallas pick. Dallas was the wild card on this and I think our FO used sound judgement and pretty much knew JJ woudn't want to risk a Cutler like issue with Romo, or a Tebow circus like what happened in Denver.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
JJ doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to shy away from a circus atmosphere, in fact he seems like the type that would enjoy it. I think he just made a sound financial decision that he has far too much money invested in Romo, and far too many other holes, to invest in a 1st round QB... Nobody questions the Patriots for doing it because they win 12 games every year but if the Cowboys did it, it wouldn't look nearly as good.

yebat' Putin
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

If that is true, I am not a fan of how ti all went down. That is literally the opposite of how Haslam and Farmer described it. That Haslam at no time got involved.

Maybe they had already discussed it (and I'm sure that they did) about the possibilities and this was a possibility in their plans already.

My guess is that they had agreed that they wanted Manziel and that they had agreed that trading up could be a possibility and that, if true, Haslam was only saying what they were already going to do.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Just a silly thought.

We have no reason to believe Manziel didn't send this same text to a lot of other teams

Valid point.. there were probably only 2 or 3 other teams that were even considering him but you are right, he might have sent it to others...

Maybe, but that is hardly something that would be unconfirmed by others. If he did so, it would already be out there.

Legend
Legend
Not necessarily.. some teams in the NFL might actually be able to keep a secret. If you were the Vikings and you received that same text and failed to act on it would you tell anybody? I wouldn't.. what if the guy does go on to become great and now all of the fans are wondering why you didn't go get the guy that wanted to be here..

yebat' Putin
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Just a silly thought.

Crossed my mind as well. I mean if I'm a superstar falling and sending a mass text amy help me? Yeah, I'd do it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

JJ doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to shy away from a circus atmosphere, in fact he seems like the type that would enjoy it. I think he just made a sound financial decision that he has far too much money invested in Romo, and far too many other holes, to invest in a 1st round QB... Nobody questions the Patriots for doing it because they win 12 games every year but if the Cowboys did it, it wouldn't look nearly as good.

True. Whatever the reason, I commend the Brown's FO for not getting into panic mode and used sound judgement in thinking that Dallas would pass on JM.

IMO JJ passed on him mainly for not wanting to PO Romo.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have absolutely zero info to back any of this up, and it's pretty much all opinion, but since everyone else seems to be giving their vision of the "war room" convo, I'll give mine as well.

I think Farmer and Pettine had a plan in place going in (take BPA at 4 unless someone gives us an offer too good to pass up, if Teddy is there at 26 take him.(Keep in mind, Farmer supposedly wanted Bridgewater over Manziel before the draft and Haslam wanted Manziel.) If Bridgewater was gone by 26, they'd take one later in the draft and hope for the best with Hoyer.
They were hoping Texans or Jags would jump on Manziel and Bortles so they would have their pick of Clowney/Watkins. Texans take Clowney then Jags grab Bortles. Leaving Manziel(who Haslam wants) and Watkins(who Farmer wants at 4). Then the phone rings and the Bills offered the Browns a deal that was "too hard to pass up" and Farmer is able to sell Haslam on the trade b/c Manziel will likely fall since he made it past the two most likely teams in Houston and Jacksonville.
I think Haslam wanted to take Manziel at 9 if Vikes passed at 8, but Pettine mentioned he really wanted Gilbert and in relief Farmer sided with him as it gave an excuse to pass on Manziel again. The two collectively were able to convince Haslam that Gilbert was the right pick and he reluctantly agreed to it as he was outnumbered.
Farmer at this point is desperately hoping either the Vikings or Cowboys grab him before 26, that way he can take his guy Teddy. Once the Vikes passed, Haslam had Farmer started putting about feelers about moving up, but Farmer being pretty smart was able to play it off like he couldn't pull the deals off holding out hope that someone would grab Manziel still.
Once Manziel got passed the Cowboys Farmer was left hoping that either the Cards or KC would draft him to replace Palmer/Smith after this year. When Zona traded out, the only roadblock left would be KC.
Rumors start flying about other teams possibly trading in front of KC to grab Manziel. Haslam starts to panic at this point as he can see his money maker slipping out of his grasp. Farmer has no intention of joining the frenzy and is fully expecting to draft Teddy at 26.
Manziel also sees himself falling and starts to panic as he doesn't want to fall out of the 1st round, which for the first time seems like a real possibility.
He sends a text to the one team he sees in the 1st round that showed real interest in him. When this text came through and Haslam saw it, he said something to the effect of "OK, enough games, trade up, I don't care what it costs, trade up and take Manziel now".
Farmer was now out of excuses and couldn't put it off any longer. So he made the move and took Manziel.
This would also explain why Bridgewater would be so upset, and blast us, because he was told, possibly by Farmer, if he was there at 26 that we would draft him. When he saw us jump up and grab another QB over him, he felt betrayed

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just a silly thought.

Maybe, but that is hardly something that would be unconfirmed by others. If he did so, it would already be out there.

Right about now, I'm guessing that the QB coach is getting told to keep his trap shut.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
It really doesn't matter how he got here He Is Here and I HOPE he is the player many "Experts" say he is, Go Johnny Go

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Blasphamy.....Pure Blasphamy....

C
Legend
Legend
C
It sounds like Loggains is yucking it up on a radio show with his buddy and is trying to be impressive. This all makes for a nice story, but it is also hard to believe.

Manziel mentioned in previous interviews that he sent the text.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Quote:

If that is true, I am not a fan of how ti all went down. That is literally the opposite of how Haslam and Farmer described it. That Haslam at no time got involved.

Ya, I didn't like what I read either. That really is the opposite of what Farmer said so emphatically in his press conference.

Now, just because Haslam said let's go get him doesn't mean that Farmer was pushed into doing it. Maybe he was right there with Haslam in terms of wanting JFF at that point too... we'll never really know.

But I didn't like what I read...

Legend
Legend
It could easily be something as simple as Farmer saying, "it's time to get Manziel" and then Haslem saying "let's go get him". The media can leave out anything they want, it sure makes a story that generates a lot of message board threads.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It could easily be something as simple as Farmer saying, "it's time to get Manziel" and then Haslem saying "let's go get him". The media can leave out anything they want, it sure makes a story that generates a lot of message board threads.

Yeah, all the conjecture here is really stupid.

Dissect this statement:

Quote:

"When I got that text, I forwarded it to the owner (Jimmy Haslam) and to the head coach (Mike Pettine). I'm like, 'This guy wants to be here. He wants to be part of it.' As soon as that happened, Mr. Haslam said, 'Pull the trigger. We're trading up to go get this guy.'"

What's wrong with this picture?

Here are a couple hints:

Quote:

"When I got that text, I forwarded it..."

&

Quote:

"As soon as that happened, Mr. Haslam said..."

I call bull$#!%. Homey wasn't even in the room. He has no clue what was said, when it was said, or why it was said.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In the context of winning I can't express how meaningless all of this truly is.

Legend
Legend
Johnny Manziel needs work, but right now can be "one of the most exciting players in the NFL'' QB coach says | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/johnny_manziel_needs_work_but.html

Browns quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains is confident that Johnny Manziel's dynamic, dual-threat Houdini act can play big in the NFL right away.

"I think we can throw him out there right now and he's going to be one of the most exciting players in the NFL and run around and make plays like he did at Texas A&M (that) we all saw,'' Loggains said Thursday on Sports Talk with Bo Mattingly on ESPN Arkansas. "But there are some things fundamentally (he needs to work on). He needs to become more comfortable in the pocket. He needs to learn how to play under center. He spent a lot of time this offseason, went to George Whitfield out in California working on some fundamentals. There's some other things that he needs to continue to work on, but mainly playing in the pocket and being able to win on third down throwing the football.''

Loggains, who's coaching Manziel in the three-day rookie camp Friday, Saturday and Sunday, said Manziel's been here since Monday learning the Browns offense and working with the veterans.

"He's been a great teammate,'' said Loggains. "He's been very quiet around the veterans. He just works hard. Just show these guys you're going to work hard and you're all in, you're going to do everything you can to help this program win, whether it be the starter or the backup, however that is, you just do your job. Everyone's intrigued by him anyway because of who he is, but they just want to see that you work.

"Once you work, then you become part of the team and they'll embrace you, but you have to show these guys that you're going to work and you're going to be a quarterback and in the NFL it's not a nine to five job. It's an every day job and it's 12-14 hours a day and he's been up here grinding in meetings and we just got out of another meeting, third one (Thursday). That's the biggest part of it. You've got to show these guys how much football means to you.''

Loggains acknowledged the excitement that Manziel brings to the Browns, who have tried to rein in some of the madness by keeping the national media away from rookie camp. As it is, the local media is allowed in only on Saturday -- and only for the first 15 minutes of practice.

"I think he's already got the leading jersey on NFL.com,'' said Loggainas. "He's the leading jersey-seller in the whole league in front of guys like (Tom) Brady and (Peyton) Manning and (Drew) Brees and this guy comes with a celebrity like no other. I was part of the contingency in Tennesee when we drafted Vince Young who was a big name. This guy's bigger than that. He's Johnny Football and everything that comes with it and I think going through this process has really helped him. He's learned how to say no. There's no many things that you get dragged into and asked about in your circle when you are that, and I think the best thing that could've happened to him is that he's going through that stuff now instead of later.''

Although Loggains feels Manziel can get the job done now, the Browns have made it clear he has to win the job by beating out Brian Hoyer.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've heard all that I need from Loggains for a while. All of the gushing he's doing about Manziel's readiness to play in these latest quotes will be contorted into the team anointing him as the starter.

Pump your breaks Dowell!!!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Why is our QB coach even giving interviews? It sounds like Dowell needs a trip to the principal's office.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Why is our QB coach even giving interviews? It sounds like Dowell needs a trip to the principal's office.

Listen to the audio.. the coach is a former razorback and he was giving the interview to an station in razorback country..

And it gives a lot different look then the written and edited word

http://www.sportstalkwithbo.com/site/index.php

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
I know all that. I am just curious as to why our QB coach is giving an interview? Especially when we are trying to quell the Manziel hype.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pretty much everyone who knows football knew JFF was the best QB in the draft by far and so did the Browns brass.

Add in the swagger and confidence that was desperately needed in Cleveland and this was a no brainer move to go get him.

0 risk pick for a potential future hall of famer with multiple superbowl victories in Cleveland.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What are you hearing? I thought Haslam gave input, but he did not place demands getting any one specific person. Loggins stated it was good open dialog between FO and coaches. I think you maybe over analyzing.

As soon as that happened, Mr. Haslam said, 'Pull the trigger. We're trading up to go get this guy.'"

Ok...that's cool. I see it as all were on board with selecting Manziel, then it was wait it out....the text came and Haslam said lets get this done now.

I don't see a problem

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Maybe Haslam went with his gut ( fine Cleveland tradition for the Browns). He is here. Let's roll. Kind of an anti-Tebow vibe. Kid has some moxy or cheek or whatever. We will need to deal with this rookie's rollercoaster.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
So now everyone wants to question Farmer's comments about Jimmy not influencing the pick in any shape or form.

I guess since Bridgewater publicly said he didn't want to play here, I am on board the Manziel bandwagon. He was clearly my next high pick if they were going to burn a first round pick on a QB.

Also makes ya wonder how many teams Johnny texted a similar msg to?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

And I'm sure that if he does win the starting job, that will have been Haslam's doing as well..

Only if the QB coach tells us it was.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I know all that. I am just curious as to why our QB coach is giving an interview? Especially when we are trying to quell the Manziel hype.

if you knew all that and are unwilling to accept that answer, then I guess I can't help you

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What are you hearing? I thought Haslam gave input, but he did not place demands getting any one specific person. Loggins stated it was good open dialog between FO and coaches. I think you maybe over analyzing.

That was my understanding.. He gave his opinion and input and left it to Farmer.

What???? He left it up to Farmer by saying, "'Pull the trigger. We're trading up to go get this guy."

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's something everyone is trying to dance around every way they can. In the end, that's exactly what happened.

I'm not saying that they didn't like Johnny Football or have him rated as the top QB on their board. But when push comes to shove, it was Haslam that made the call to move up from 26 to 22 and draft Manziel.

But expect more of the Waltz to be paraded around.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Was it such a bad idea? I mean if Haslam or Farmer made the decision so what, it was a good move. This guy is not Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden. He was the best QB on the board and we got him.

If he becomes what the hype says he is, Haslam will look good, and people will start questioning why Farmer did make the move. IMO, this is all self induced drama by a battered fanbase.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I consider highly unlikely that this was not being discussed by Farmer and Pettine at the time Manziel's text came through.

I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the draft, Don't let KC on the clock.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Haslam is a low-down, dirty snake-in-the-grass douchebag. If that dude told me to my face that the sky was blue I'd be out the door and looking up to check before I believed him.

Don't put anything past Jerry Jones Jr.

So far in two short seasons he's picked a brand new regime, and failed.

He gets busted ripping off other companies and is watching his soldiers fall on their swords.

Now he's manipulating his second hand-picked regime.

What is on the field is going to be a direct result of what JJJ decides to build. He's a billionaire with billionaire toys and he's going to play with them. That's his right. Doesn't mean I have to like him.

He may eventually get lucky and stumble on the right combination, but if you march 32 owners out there I'd say there's 25 who stand a better chance of winning than JJJ.

I hope Farmer and Co. can pull it off in spite of who signs their checks.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
I have heard more than one source say that the Browns had been trying to trade up in a number of spots before 22. Don't you think they had somebody in mind while they were trying to trade up? I would be sad if Farmer actually wanted Bridgewater and somehow the name did change to Manziel because of Jimmy. I think the truth is Farmer had full control of the draft but Jimmy was just another voice in the room that everyone knew wanted Manziel. I think if Farmer wanted somebody else he would have taken him.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

I have heard more than one source say that the Browns had been trying to trade up in a number of spots before 22. Don't you think they had somebody in mind while they were trying to trade up? I would be sad if Farmer actually wanted Bridgewater and somehow the name did change to Manziel because of Jimmy. I think the truth is Farmer had full control of the draft but Jimmy was just another voice in the room that everyone knew wanted Manziel. I think if Farmer wanted somebody else he would have taken him.

Jimmy is not just another voice in the room, he is the owner of the team.

I think Jimmy wanted Manziel for quite some time and got what he wanted.

B
Legend
Legend
B
No matter how it happened, who did what or said what, I like Jimmy Haslam and and I like the direction we are headed.

I don't know where it will end up, but my guess is it will be far batter off than what we have experienced the last 50 years. Yes, it's been 50 years since we have won a championship.

We are Johnny Football.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Got a deja vue on this unless we got the same thread in the draft forum...lol

1. Manziel could have text several teams? But you'd think one of them would have stepped forward so maybe it was just us...Still think its cool.

2. According to Loggains we were trying to move up several times to get Manziel before the tweet so pulling the trigger was not in question - getting a team to deal with us was.

3. Unless Haslam demanded the OTHER TEAM to make the deal he didn't demand squat. As in 1. n 2. JM was a deal already in the making.

4. This is only the beginning. JM is news and the Bozo's are going to out here in Barnum & Bailey Fashion. Wait till camp and all them little cars show up with about 20 BOZOS in each one

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Haslam is a low-down, dirty snake-in-the-grass douchebag. If that dude told me to my face that the sky was blue I'd be out the door and looking up to check before I believed him.

toad...Those who are upset at the Manziel pick...TOUGH !

You want to really make a statement...leave the DT board...go on over to Steelers boards.

I believe Haslam is everything that Randy Lerner was not...INVOLVED...involved in the decision making process, that lead to the Browns making a solid pick, moving up from 26 to 22, drafting Manziel.

Other than a few fans making ridiculous comments about the way the Browns got their man, Manziel, most are glad that the Browns drafted Manziel and most don't give a damn how they got him.

Those of you making childish comments like those I quoted above...JUST STOP !

Last edited by mac; 05/17/14 08:01 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That was my understanding.. He gave his opinion and input and left it to Farmer.

What???? He left it up to Farmer by saying, "'Pull the trigger. We're trading up to go get this guy."

Yes, that's what we were told by Farmer, Pettine and Haslam.. And if you listen to the audio of the interview with the QB coach that I posted, you will see that the "WRITTEN" word is once again, misleading.

When is the surgery?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I think we are indeed JohnnyLand in Cleveland, 'Peen. It is fun for now. JM is no refrigerator, keeping stuff indoors. But I am not a Haslam hater at all; anybody in any capacity who helps my Brownies win games, well I am for them.

After the FA/draft/UDFA this year, as well as cutting a number of players and coaches who were part of the losses. I feel better and more optimistic (again) than I have for about four years. I usually get over it by the BYE week. Not entirely certain, but I think I feel more optimistic because of Farmer's performance, even moreso than Haslam. But this FO is a relief from the LomBanner expectations and dread I had earlier on.

Let's try winning for a change, eh?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny Football "Hurry up and draft me, I want to wreck this league"

Link Copied to Clipboard