Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Doesn't it seem like we always have a WR who struggles to catch the ball? (Quincy, Braylon, Little, Northcutt that one, terrible time). It's maddening.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not surprised. There was movement last year to cut the guy and this move indicates that Farmer was on board with that.

I think Farmer see's some talent we just brought in....I also think he feels Josh Cooper will have a hard time making the team but he would have kept him over Little.

Time to move on....let one of the new undrafted guys have their shot to drop passes like Little did....or....maybe...actually become a find

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Sooner rather than later. Feels like message here for this team. Maybe several. Hope he does well next stop, but not against us.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Also shows loyalty to a fault. What did you have to do to earn the pine. Cutting our throat too often....

Not interested in more of the same apparently. Pulled for him, but every project has its day. failure to improve is not an NFL lifestyle. Can't fault the JUGS machine.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

To add to my last post just above. Bitonio had a higher overall draft grade than Lee by most.

Who are most?

I was wondering the exact same thing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Can't say I am shocked, upset or any of the above. I lost hope with Greg last season after all those drops. Then you throw in the off-field traffic violations... yeah, see ya Little.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To add to my last post just above. Bitonio had a higher overall draft grade than Lee by most.

Who are most?

I was wondering the exact same thing.

I don't know if that was a correct statement or not. I'll just say I am happy with the OL pick and good with that over a WR.

I think we just brought in several good wide receivers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Good luck at the next stop, Greg. Just please no Baltimore or Pittsburgh.

Please Baltimore or especially Pitt! Guy is an opposing team's best defense. He's good for at least 4 drops/game when he's even thrown to at all. I just wish we could play against the guy every week!

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
D
Legend
Legend
D
Well said, sir...

Can you imagine being "happy" to watch Greg Little do what he does best, drop catchable balls? I for one would love to see it, especially if it's in a Raven of Stooler uniform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gotta love what Farmer is doing. I certainly do. He's getting rid of all the dead weight! The guy is not screwing around. I'm finally starting to have a "Little" hope.

Last edited by WhatCanBrownDo4U; 05/16/14 07:30 PM.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I don't know if that was a correct statement or not.

Which is what I am questioning.

Quote:

I'll just say I am happy with the OL pick and good with that over a WR.

I'm in a "wait and see" situation regarding that. If Lee or Matthews turn out to be great WR's, I think the wrong player was picked.

Quote:

I think we just brought in several good wide receivers.

I believe if that's the case, our definition of the word good is different. I believe they've put a band aid on a bullet wound. Which I at least give them credit for doing. Health has been an issue for both signings and they really haven't been anything above "average at best" for a while now.

I like for young QB's to be paired with a young WR so they can build a chemistry together that will last for years and grow.

The only thing I see that even resembles that is Hawkins, which I like better than any of the signings we've made at the WR position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
F
Good riddance.

Little couldn't do diddly-poo when the moment got big for him. Stone hands and lack of brains. If you can't produce then I want nothing to do with your services. I don't have 5 years to wait for you to figure out how to catch a football.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Can someone explain why Scheme picks are looked down upon? Or at least that's my impression.

Probably because we have a new scheme every year

Nice,,, do you have a real answer or not?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

j/c

Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi · 23m
Phil Taylor only #Browns player left from trade of Julio Jones pick in 2011 draft.

Grossi will never drop his personal vendetta about this trade or his hatred for Mangini, will he?!

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Can someone explain why Scheme picks are looked down upon? Or at least that's my impression.

My only logical answer is that - and I am not speaking of myself - but people see the pick and are thinking "What the heck?! This guy is projected to go a lot later" most of the time, but in our defensive or offensive scheme, he fits in perfect with where he was drafted at due to his strengths. Not to mention there are almost always other players left on the board that Kiper & Co. have ranked a lot higher, but it's not their expertise to know every team's schemes so to speak. They just watch film on prospects all day every day.

That's my only logical guess.

JMHO
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Phil Taylor only #Browns player left from trade of Julio Jones pick in 2011 draft.

Grossi will never drop his personal vendetta about this trade or his hatred for Mangini, will he?!

Haha I know it. Not a week goes by that he doesn't mention this trade in some manner. He loves when that draft looks worse and worse.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Curious move. Wonder if he is another drug user? If so, I get it.

If not, it was a dumb ass move.

Legend
Legend
This move had just as much to do with Little's off the field behavior as it did to do with his on the field production. The kid has a ton of talent, but not a ton of heart and desire to be the best that he can be as a NFL WR.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I would be very surprised if Little wasn't a weed smoker. 25% of the league smokes according to recent rumblings. Little is a well known knuckle head, i'd be amazed if he isn't in that 25% occasionally.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, that was kind of my point.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

"He can't catch a break"

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

This move had just as much to do with Little's off the field behavior as it did to do with his on the field production. The kid has a ton of talent, but not a ton of heart and desire to be the best that he can be as a NFL WR.

That flies in the face of everything that has been reported about Little.

This is the kid who stayed after practice to work with other groups on specific skills ..... working with the DL to make his hands better at disengaging from press coverage, and other similar stories. He was the hardest working blocker among the WR corps.

I don't think that it was a lack of desire, but simply an inability to get his hands right. Perhaps there were some issues in his personal life as well, but I do not believe that he was a lazy player ...... just one who lacked the ability to get his hands right.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Yeah, that was kind of my point.

But I reiterated your point with loose statistics therefore making it better!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Also he and Gordon hung out together in the off season...supposedly working out. Possibly so and then a relaxing blunt after they showered...ya never know. But possibly he was given a new route system from Kyle a month ago and when they had their Mini-Camp he didn't know a thing as I never heard the words Little and Smart said together??? So we cut ties after we made the two FA signings. Who we thought were going to be ahead of Little on the depth chart and this was Littles last year on the contract.

I don't think you really think this is dumb. I was also waiting for you to give Farmer Props as you were dissing the guy for taking WRs early in the draft as the BOZOS were suggesting he would. He did not...he traded back, got a kick butt CB prospect, 1st round pick in 2015 - JM at 22 who you liked a lot and the best OG in this draft at 35. I know you and I know how you think and freaking Farmer made moves that normally you would love. Come on dawg, start loving these guys as your own cause they mirror a lot of your thoughts.

And may God bless your surgeon I will be praying for you tomorrow and throughout the week. Can't wait till you get into our Coaching Staff and Farmer cause they seem to be your kind of guys! I understand you have your time table on that.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
j/c

The more I think about this, the more I see three possible reasons as to why we cut him now and not earlier/later:

1. He showed up to mini camp out of shape and/or ill-prepared (probably after earlier warnings)

2. He has some "bad" ties to the Gordon situation, and we wanted to separate ourselves from them

3. He asked for his release after the signings of Austin and Bennett, and we obliged

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Sad to see Greg Little go.... wasn't a good WR (due mostly to hands) - but he did a lot of things very well.

The timing is weird. I wonder if there is some sort of suspension/other mess coming down for little. Otherwise (especially given the injury situations of our top WRs) I would think he'd be around for workouts.

The hands of our WR core just got tremendously better (-Little - Bess + Austin + Bennett)

~Lyuokdea
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

With 25+ WRs taken in this 'deep WR' draft, that means a bunch of guys who made NFL rosters last year will likely get cut - solid vets but guys nearing the end of their career/contract, guys still developing, and guys coming off their rookie years who had promise just one year ago.

After the draft, we were able to bring in several UDFAs with potential and pickup two FA vets who may or may not pan out - but who have produced before in the league.

As we move through camps and other teams release players - for a variety of reasons - we will have even more tires to kick.

I think that strategy will reap quicker benefits than would have been reaped by taking the 10th WR on the board when players we rated higher were still available (and then picked).

D
Legend
Legend
D
Not trying to be rude, but if you're a WR and you can't catch, I don't think the other things, regardless of how well he did or didn't do them - is pretty trivial. A WR who can't catch is like a Ferrari with no gas. It gets old just looking at it cause all it can do is sit there.

JMO, but if the front office viewed two injury proned vets, a bunch of undrafted rookies as a better fitting to their "play like a Brown" motto than Little - then it's clear to me Greg i/was beyond expendable and was viewed pretty low by the staff.

Not many people will disagree or blame them for it either... I actually kind of endorse it big time. The staff is sending all the right msgs with their actions. Alex and Haden indicate you play hard, perform, you'll get paid here. You play like crap like Bess and Little, you'll find yourself looking for a new team. I just am digging Pettine/Farmer.

Legend
Legend
I was just thinking about this on anotehr thread, and I think that it applies here as well.

There has to be more to this story.

Greg Little is a talented player who needs "coached up" to attain consistency. That is the kind of player/challenge that Pettine specifically said that he would never back away from, because he believes in his coaches ability to get the most out of a talented player. He was talking about Clowney, and how he' has a reputation for not applying himself as much as he could .... but I would think that it applies to players already on the team as well.

I believe that there has to be more to this story that hasn't come out. Little is more physically talented than anyone on the roster. I mean, really, who do you want at the #1 receiver without Gordon in the lineup ..... Little, who does many things well, but has hands issues ...... or a guy like Cooper, who would get shut down completely by a #1 CB?

There has to be more to the story. It cost them nothing to keep him at this point, and he is far more talented than almost everyone we kept at WR.

Makes me wonder.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I think people are reading a lot into this.

They simply cut a player who many said should have been cut last year. When a WR has no consistency in being able to catch the ball, he will be cut.

They signed three FA WR's during the off season. It was simply time for Little to go.

It's kind of funny actually. When a story comes out saying something did happen, people dance around making things up trying to deny it.

When no story comes out, people try to make up a story as further reasoning for a very logical move.

Kinda funny really.......

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
+ 1

Yes, when I read the comments about the "conspiracy theory(s)" type stuff - it just makes me wonder... if Greg were on another team, would he have been cut or benched sooner?

The team let go a three-seasoned player that has struggled more than produced at their respected position. Why does there have to be any more to the story than that? It's business in my eyes. No different than someone in an everyday normal Joe-Smo job getting canned for not performing to expectations IMO.

Legend
Legend
The only thing I'd like to have seen is trying him at RB. I mean he was decent once he caught the ball and turned up field,, Pretty tough guy.. Not sure how it would have translated.. He did have experience playing RB before so I just kinda wondered. I actually wondered that last year when we seemed to have ZIP at RB.. Probably would have been a good time to try him out.. Oh well..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Anyone..over/under how much longer Little stays in the league? I give him no more than 2 more seasons with very little playing time. Not too many teams will be willing to put up with his drive killing drops no matter how good a blocker he is.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Anyone..over/under how much longer Little stays in the league? I give him no more than 2 more seasons with very little playing time. Not too many teams will be willing to put up with his drive killing drops no matter how good a blocker he is.

Frankly, once a player leaves the Browns, I don't care one bit how they do elsewhere.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well, I wish him good luck if he goes somewhere else. At the same time I'm glad the saga is over.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Haha I know it. Not a week goes by that he doesn't mention this trade in some manner. He loves when that draft looks worse and worse.

About a bad Browns trade ...

The decision to cut Greg Little means the Browns have only one player left from the mega 2011 draft day deal with Atlanta for the rights to Julio Jones. That's Phil Taylor, who has been a solid defensive tackle.

Little has been awful. He ranked 111th out of 111 receivers by profootballfocus. He's dropped 31 passes in the last three seasons, and never showed the speed or big-play ability that the Browns expected when making him a second-round pick in 2011.

Jones battled a foot injury last year, but he's caught 20 touchdown passes in three seasons and has big-play ability. Most fans know about him.

But the Browns also traded a third-rounder that day to Kansas City. That pick became linebacker Justin Houston, who has made Pro Bowls in 2012 and 2013. Every year, the trade looks worse for the orange helmets.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/05/terrys_talkin_johnny_manziel_c.html

well it did not turn out well for us.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Not trying to be rude, but if you're a WR and you can't catch, I don't think the other things, regardless of how well he did or didn't do them - is pretty trivial. A WR who can't catch is like a Ferrari with no gas. It gets old just looking at it cause all it can do is sit there.

JMO, but if the front office viewed two injury proned vets, a bunch of undrafted rookies as a better fitting to their "play like a Brown" motto than Little - then it's clear to me Greg i/was beyond expendable and was viewed pretty low by the staff.

Not many people will disagree or blame them for it either... I actually kind of endorse it big time. The staff is sending all the right msgs with their actions. Alex and Haden indicate you play hard, perform, you'll get paid here. You play like crap like Bess and Little, you'll find yourself looking for a new team. I just am digging Pettine/Farmer.

+1.

P.S. I wonder if any other team will sign him now?

Rookie
Rookie
I guess it was the decent thing to do, giving him a chance to sign with another team early. But I would have liked to have seen him compete for the job in training camp. I liked Little's fight and what he could do with the ball.

I think it is unfair to judge him based on the QBs that have been throwing to him. Sure, he's had lots of drops, but lets not forget we brought in Bess as the possession receiver and look how that turned out.

I vow to smack everyone who says the importance of the running back is diminished in the NFL today.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Not sure why there has to be more to the story.

Little couldn't get open and he couldn't catch. I didn't expect him to make the team this year.

If we want a physically talented WR who can't put it together, Braylon Edwards is out there.

H
Rookie
Rookie
H
Farmer continues to impress the heck out of me. I've been wanting this guy and his hands where footballs go to die cut for 2 years now. What's all this wish he would've had another chance talk? Have y'all watched the Browns play? He has been an undependable drive killer for 3 long years in Cleveland and what he could've became and all the plays that he did make (not alot) never made up for how many drives he's killed with his hands on backwards. I haven't been this happy about getting rid of a player since the Browns have came back. Greg Little is not an NFL WR...we gave him 3 years and he has proven that.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Release Greg Little

Link Copied to Clipboard