Posted By: Dawgs4Life Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 02:53 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m

Browns have released WR Greg Little.
Posted By: KNOXDAWG Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 02:55 PM
wow
I didn't see this happening this quick.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 02:55 PM
That's too bad... I was hoping he'd get another chance to improve. He certainly had a lot of things to like. Size, willingness to block, work ethic, tough to bring down. If he could only learn to catch the ball consistently...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 02:56 PM
Well .... I really hoped that we would be able to get him turned back around ...... but I understand why.
Posted By: Arps Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 02:56 PM
That is a surprise considering...
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 02:57 PM
I'm kind of surprised by that. I would have thought that the coaching staff and FO would give him a chance to make a big step forward, especially given the Josh Gordon situation. Never hated the guy, just wish he has better hands. Well, good luck, Greg....
Posted By: BADdog Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:01 PM
Wow guess we wont have to worry about his hands this year.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:01 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. I do feel for the guy in that, he was a hard worker, put in the time, etc., but he could't catch the ball. Hopefully, he lands somewhere and gets another shot.
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:01 PM
I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but I found his play on the field infuriating the entire time he was here (minus a few games). Best of luck Greg.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:05 PM
Like others are saying, it's a little surprising given our current receiver situation, but nobody can day they didn't see this coming. It's too bad, I always cheer for the guy that works extra hard to improve his game.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:05 PM
He had a great work ethic, good YAC potential, and was a solid blocker.

That being said, he was very immature, and he lacked focus, consistency, and reliability in catching the ball. His celebrations really irked me, and he would allow other teams to get into his head. He also had some really, really stupid penalties.

I am surprised that the cut came this early, as I thought we'd like to have him in the thick of the WR competition. I think I would have waited to cut him, but I'm not all that disappointed that he's out of here.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:07 PM
Don't drop that pink slip on the way out the door. Just a horribly disappointing pick. There is just no way to sugar coat it.
Posted By: DIEHARD Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:10 PM
Gives him a chance to try to catch on somewhere else....unless he drops that too.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:11 PM
Good luck at the nextg stop, Greg. Just please no Baltimore or Pittsburgh.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:12 PM
Quote:

That is a surprise considering...

He could have asked for it with all the new guys they brought in. I have no reason to think that's what happened, just saying it's a possibility.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:12 PM
Posted By: Arps Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:15 PM
I figured we would keep him through camp. I wonder if there is more going on here than we know.
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:19 PM
Quote:

I figured we would keep him through camp. I wonder if there is more going on here than we know.

That is what i am wondering.

Or it could be as simple as... we have our #2, ( couple of them actually) and a #3, do we really need GL?

We need a #1, somehow.

I liked GL, but can not deny he has been a major disappointment, not just the drops, the timimg of them seemed to hurt the most.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:27 PM
Austin
Bennett
Hawkins

He would be the 4th best guy at best. Probably just giving him a shot to catch on somewhere else.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:28 PM
j/c

Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi · 23m
Phil Taylor only #Browns player left from trade of Julio Jones pick in 2011 draft.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:29 PM
Good move. Thank God he is gone. I was sick of hoping/wondering if he would catch the ball.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:30 PM
Quote:

Hmm... yeah, I was hoping we would wee what he looked like with more time working on catching and a more time with a Hoyer thrown ball.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:36 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Hmm... yeah, I was hoping we would wee what he looked like with more time working on catching and a more time with a Hoyer thrown ball.

I think the handwriting is on the wall with him. His catching abilities are just too inconsistent to keep him around.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:38 PM
at least we dont have to worry about whether he's gonna catch the ball or not. way too inconsistent for me. like someone else said, his celebrations annoyed me as well. although i wish him well, he can do those things on another team.
Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:42 PM
Stupid move and even more stupid timing.

What was there to lose looking at him in TC again? Might even get you a pick back if a WR lands on IR somewhere else. Little was not a good WR, but he wasn't a headcase or something.

This has a lot of "my guys" over "what was there". They haven't even got a look at him up close. Makes zero sense unless he was the guy Gordon smoled with...
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:42 PM
You don't draft corners or linebackers who have questionable tackling, QB's with questionable stress tolerance and accuracy, and you just don't draft WR's with questionable hands no matter what all the other data shows. Whatever the main job of a position is, if you're drafting a player, make sure he's really good at that one thing first. "Coaching Up" is a black art with spotty returns. How many WR's have we had in the last 15 years who just.. couldn't... catch consistently?
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:44 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think the handwriting is on the wall with him. His catching abilities are just too inconsistent to keep him around.

Yup, the only thing worse than a guy who never performs well is a guy who performs well 50% of the time and always keeping you guessing.
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:49 PM
J/k

To me it's a good Move....I agree everybody deserves a 2nd or 3rd chance, but what is he going to do this year that he hasnt had 3 years to show us or do for 3 years, Browns paid him for the 3 years, and he didnt work to improve, every years same old same old, hope Greg Little has a breakout year...Hope this is the year Greg Little shows what he can do....simply said, the excuses ran out and the moved on without him. The bar has been set, time step up.

He will end up in Carolina as a Panther and be alot happier, it was nice of Cleveland to do this now and give him a chance to catch on ( play on words there) somewhere else.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:52 PM
Wow,, what a message they are sending.. Perform, we'll pay you, don't perform, we don't have room for you.

I'd have rather they kept him around a little longer, not sure it would have hurt to do so, but I think we all assumed this was coming anyway.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:57 PM
j/c

Wow! You mean they cut a WR who can't catch the ball!!? I am shocked!

Posted By: DjangoBrown Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 03:57 PM
Good move?

What exactly is the worth of releasing him NOW?

Anyone?
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:00 PM
Quote:

Good move?

Anyone?

only allowed 80 players? needed the room?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:02 PM
Woah!

Gotta give this team one thing.... it know hows to stay in the news, lol!

Definitely a surprising move, at least in terms of timing. I also thought he'd get at least another camp to try to prove himself.

Maybe se saw an uphill battle against the guys that were just brought in and asked for his release??
Either way, wow!
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:02 PM
Maybe he asked to be released?
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:10 PM
Quote:

Good move?

Anyone?

Watched him in the OTAs, realized he had not improved, figured he's just taking away reps from the guys who will actually be on the team catching passes.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:11 PM
Best tweet on this (though I feel bad kicking a man when he's down)

"He can't catch a break"
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:16 PM
Quote:

wow
I didn't see this happening this quick.

I simply didn't see this coming at all...
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:21 PM
j/c

I was pretty surprised by this. I was in the camp that Little had potential but you look at the numbers and Little's performance seems to decline year by year. Eventually, you need to cut bait and this FO certainly doesn't seem shy about making moves. I mean, how many years did we keep Robiskie on based on faith that he'd finally start contributing?

Fact is with Bennett and Austin signing plus us heavily invested in Hawkins, Little suddenly becomes a #4 wideout at best. He was supposed to be our possession guy but when you look at his targets vs catches, he really wasnt doing that well.

Good luck to Greg. Hopefully he finds a spot where he can continue his career and I hope the light comes on at some point for him.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:32 PM
j/c

I wish they would have waited until camp to do this. Would have been nice to keep around in case of injuries at the WR position.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:38 PM
Quote:

Wow,, what a message they are sending.. Perform, we'll pay you, don't perform, we don't have room for you.

i love this message. its a new culture in town now.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:39 PM
Quote:

j/c

Wow! You mean they cut a WR who can't catch the ball!!? I am shocked!

Posted By: aej Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:42 PM
its about time dont you think?,keeping players around who don't preform is a habit that needs breaking.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:45 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Well, when Haslam says a guy has to go, he has to go.
Posted By: anarchy2day Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 04:55 PM
Quote:

That's too bad... I was hoping he'd get another chance to improve. He certainly had a lot of things to like. Size, willingness to block, work ethic, tough to bring down. If he could only learn to catch the ball consistently...

That's what I was hoping too.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:05 PM
Quote:

I'd have rather they kept him around a little longer, not sure it would have hurt to do so, but I think we all assumed this was coming anyway.

He was literally the worst WR in all of football last year. So many snaps, such little (no pun) production. As soon as they had enough guys to play ut was only a matter of time. Might as well let him try to catch (no pun) on somewhere else.

I can't find the PFF stats right now, but I don't really need it, he was invisible even when he played.

Edit: Woops, forgot Devon Bess. I correct myself, "One of the worst" in all of football.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/21/depth-and-passer-adjusted-catch-rates/
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:10 PM
wow...was not expecting that - ok, so be it. Little unfortunately was a HOPE he could progress to this potential this year. Didn't think there was a work ethic problem or anything. I know he hung out with Gordon a lot. Hope that wasn't the issue. But we did do some investments and Little's contract was up this year.

Good Luck kid - why do I think the Cowboys will be taking him???
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:13 PM
j/c

A buddy of mine told me yesterday that Little has the 3rd or 4th most career catches of all WRs from his draft class. I found that interesting if not unbelievable. (I did not verify his statement.)

I think DC hit on it earlier...they saw him in camp a couple of weeks ago and nothing had changed in his actual ability to catch the ball. He was looking at being a #4 receiver where you need a possession guy - or at least not an anti-possession guy.

My guess is that this was as mutual a release as there can be.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:32 PM
Quote:

j/c

A buddy of mine told me yesterday that Little has the 3rd or 4th most career catches of all WRs from his draft class. I found that interesting if not unbelievable. (I did not verify his statement.)

i saw that quote too...it included AJ Green, Torrey Smith, and Julio Jones...
Posted By: HewDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:40 PM
This is an interesting move, though I can understand it. His drops were wrecking nerves. I was hoping that he could improve and thought the Gordon suspension would open up opportunity for him. I think he'll be fine if he lands somewhere where there is stability like the Patriots or Denver. He's athletic and rather young as a receiver (converted RB in college).
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:41 PM

We should had cut him 2 seasons ago.

Proves the lack of talent evaluators on the team and the problems on taking an easy decision like that.

Good sign is that we finally did it, now we just have to find a #1WR...Maybe Farmer will play the position, since he refused to draft one.

With most of the FA WR's signed, and a few viable lineman still free, puzzles me why didn't we draft Lee and opted for an OT.. Even with Gordon playing we still needed an extra WR, and with FA a Schwartz we could have plugged the holes on oline..
Posted By: legalizewd Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:44 PM
Quote:

Stupid move and even more stupid timing.

What was there to lose looking at him in TC again? Might even get you a pick back if a WR lands on IR somewhere else. Little was not a good WR, but he wasn't a headcase or something.

This has a lot of "my guys" over "what was there". They haven't even got a look at him up close. Makes zero sense unless he was the guy Gordon smoled with...

Django, because of the timing and the need for WRs, him smoking with Gordon was my very first thought. Gordon was high on him as a fellow WR, which might have more than one meaning. Otherwise, I don't see why you don't keep him for competition. It must be off the field or maybe a bad mini camp.

As far as Taylor being the only player the Browns have left from the Julio Jones trade, that's why I just wanted the Browns to draft Watkins because I could care less about next year. Maybe Buffalo gets the top pick and they just trade that away to the team that wants Winston. I don't care what Fisher says, if Winston needs to steal (should get a game suspension) hes coming out.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:52 PM
j/c

wonder if Denver will pick him up?
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:54 PM
I'm shocked. I would have thought we would have let him play through his rookie contract. I guess this secures Hawkins's spot on the team though. Wasn't sure he'd make it.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, when Haslam says a guy has to go, he has to go.

No need for concrete shoes either ... his hands will do the trick already.

... okay enough kicking a guy when he's down. I'm wondering if this had anything to do with Gordon too. Wasn't Little's job to mentor Gordon and keep him out of trouble? Last I heard, he was doing a decent job of it ... so maybe this latest news of Gordon's failed drug test didn't help Little's cause. "Dammit Greg! You had ONE job!"
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 05:59 PM
Another failed experiment and another bad draft pick for the Browns by Tom Heckert who many thought was an amazing GM; myself included for the majority of his tenure. Regardless, I wish him luck and hope he gets another legitimate shot. I'm sure he will but wouldn't be surprised if he phases out into mediocrity and then out of the league over the next cpl of seasons. Sad to say.

Speaking of failed draft picks which, let's examine his entire Browns draft history:

1. (7) Joe Haden, CB, Florida

2a. (38) T.J. Ward, S, Oregon

2b. (59*) Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee

3a. (85) Colt McCoy, QB, Texas

3b. (92**) Shawn Lauvao, OL, Arizona State

5. (160) Larry Asante, DB, Nebraska

6a. (177) Carlton Mitchell, WR, South Florida

6b. (186***) Cliff Geathers, DL, South Carolina

1. (21*) Phil Taylor, DL, Baylor

2a. (37) Jabaal Sheard, DL, Pittsburgh

2b. (59*) Greg Little, WR, North Carolina

4a. (102) Jordan Cameron, TE, USC

4b. (124*) Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford

5a. (137) Buster Skrine, DB, UT-Chattanooga

5b. (150**) Jason Pinkston, OL, Pittsburgh

7. (248#) Eric Hagg, DB, Nebraska

1a. (3*) Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

1b. (22**) Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State

2. (37) Mitchell Schwartz, OL, California

3. (87***) John Hughes, DL, Cincinnati

4a. (100) Travis Benjamin, WR, Miami (fla.)

4b. (120***) James-Michael Johnson, LB, Nevada

5. (160) Ryan Miller, OL, Colorado

6a. (204#) Emmanuel Acho, LB, Texas

6b. (205#) Billy Winn, DT, Boise State

7a. (245#) Trevin Wade, DB, Arizona

7b. (247#) Brad Smelley, FB, Alabama

2012 Supplemental draft

2. (34) Josh Gordon, WR, Baylor

28 total draft picks, 13 of which were in the top 3 rounds.

The best of them all has to be Joe Haden, his first ever 1st round pick as the Browns GM. TJ Ward was a good pick but he isn't here any more.

Phil Taylor was also a good pick with his first pick the following year, yet he traded down and passed on Julio Jones.

Jordan Cameron taken in the 4th round was a project pick with a very high upside and all signs point towards him having a very productive career. Probably the only pick besides Skrine past round 3 where he made a great pick, and the final say on Skrine's value is not a certainty with the new coaching staff. He's developed nicely though.

Other players who should make contributions this year are Sheard, Benjamin, Schwartz, and Winn. I thought Billy Winn was a steal where we got him and I see him continuing to develop into an even better player this year if he fits into Pettine's scheme.

Just looking at the players that Heckert picked in comparison to Farmer's BPA for the scheme philosophy makes me feel a lot better w/ Farmer being the GM as opposed to Heckert. I know these guys haven't played a down yet, but his draft really stands out and makes a lot of sense for the direction we are going. Now Haslam has to let them build this thing and not have any knee jerk reactions if things go a little awry at times.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 06:02 PM
We could go get Blackmon cheap and alternate with Gordon.... 1/2 pay for each, kind like a part time job, One year playing, one year suspended...

Its deja vu all over again...
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 06:06 PM
12 still with the team.. out of 28 picks, isn't that about right? I mean it's gotta be close right?
Posted By: bugs Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 06:11 PM
j/c

Browns releasing Little could simply mean Cooper passed him on depth chart and was expendable. It's been said it takes about three years for a receiver. I guess Little's time is up.

As for the argument it being stupid with a need at receiver, huh? You lost me here.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 06:11 PM
Quote:

Just looking at the players that Heckert picked in comparison to Farmer's BPA for the scheme philosophy makes me feel a lot better w/ Farmer being the GM as opposed to Heckert. I know these guys haven't played a down yet, but his draft really stands out and makes a lot of sense for the direction we are going. Now Haslam has to let them build this thing and not have any knee jerk reactions if things go a little awry at times.

Farmer didn't draft BPA... No where Bitonio was the BPA, and even Gilbert and Manziel are questionable...

IMHO, the philosophy is the same, instead of drafting solid we allways go for the smart move...

Deep WR draft and we don't draft one WR.... Old Browns move....
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 06:28 PM
Quote:

Quote:

And way overdue.

Little should have been released during the 2013 season IMO.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 06:33 PM
Quote:

12 still with the team.. out of 28 picks, isn't that about right? I mean it's gotta be close right?

yea looks right. 2 out of 4 first round picks and 3 out of 6 2nd round picks. if Gordon is allowed to play in the nfl again?
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 06:37 PM
Quote:

And 25% of those are pro-bowlers. Yeah, that sucks.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 06:40 PM
Julio Jones trade net worth:

Phil Taylor
Brandon Weeden
Greg Little
and a 4th we use to trade up for Trent Richardson.

Ouch.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 06:49 PM
Quote:

Quote:

LOL I can't tell if you mean it's good or bad?
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 07:11 PM
All Greg Little did here was become a familiar name, now we can move on with a better player, I hope Little changes his life and lands on his feet but he is no longer the Browns problem ... JMHO
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 07:30 PM
Quote:

Phil Taylor
Brandon Weeden
Greg Little

So your says it took all that to get the colts # 26 pick and we used that to trade up to get Manziel....
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 07:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Shoulda put it in purple
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 07:35 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Phil Taylor
Brandon Weeden
Greg Little

So your says it took all that to get the colts # 26 pick and we used that to trade up to get Manziel....

I call that incredible foresight.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 07:50 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Shoulda put it in purple

NOW, I understand. LOL
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 08:14 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Farmer didn't draft BPA... No where Bitonio was the BPA, and even Gilbert and Manziel are questionable...

IMHO, the philosophy is the same, instead of drafting solid we allways go for the smart move...

Deep WR draft and we don't draft one WR.... Old Browns move....

I disagree completely. You could argue that after Bitonio we started to draft more for scheme then BPA, but Bitonio had a 1st round grade by basically every draft guru. He has the potential to be a perennial pro bowler at guard.

You can also argue that Desir was the BPA as well. Kirksey, however, I think was more of a scheme pick.

Forget about the QB's that were left like McCarron, Savage, Garapolo, etc. We already drafted a QB and had our sites set on signing Connor Shaw once the draft ended which I think was an excellent move. We will see how it all pans out.

Farmer stuck to our board and drafted the players who gave the highest grade. Once we drafted Manziel in the 1st, I believe we put took our focus off of the remaining QB's for good reason - to build our defense and running game.
Posted By: SunDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 08:16 PM
Wow, never thought so many would miss him.....good move front office!

A receiver that can't catch is about as good as a car without tires!

He might have made a hell of a SS though.
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 09:16 PM
To add to my last post just above. Bitonio had a higher overall draft grade than Lee by most. Lee may had been the best WR left, but he also has shown to have a case of the 'dropsies'. You saw how far that got Greg Little. Why would the FO draft for need on a WR who was known to drop the football. Sure he had all the other measurables, but he was in no way going to replace Gordon.

I like the UDFA WR approach that we took as well as the signing of Miles Austin. We will find a cpl diamonds in the rough and if Austin can stay healthy, I don't see how this situation is much different than RGIII's rookie year in Washington w/ Garcon.

Overall though, we are building a team to WIN NOW! I LOVE IT! I'm tired of waiting to win and hearing personnel continually say OVER and OVER that "it's a process". When you hear coaches saying "it's a process" all the time, that is just a more intelligent way of saying we suck and aren't going to be good for a long time.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 09:34 PM
He was supposed to sign an extension, but he dropped the pen....
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 09:37 PM
Quote:

To add to my last post just above. Bitonio had a higher overall draft grade than Lee by most.

Who are most?
Posted By: PDR Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 09:38 PM
Dumb, immature, couldn't catch.

Goodbye.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 09:38 PM
They have more faith in Austin's hamstrings than I do. Never did like Little but this receiving corps is garbage.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 10:02 PM
Quote:

They have more faith in Austin's hamstrings than I do. Never did like Little but this receiving corps is garbage.

I would expect them to have more confidence in his health than you. They undoubtedly checked him out medically, did you?

In the same vein, questions still remain about the health of Lee's knee. Possibly that concerned them. Also they are obviously committing to the run. Who helps the team more in that area? Lee or Bitonio?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 10:16 PM
Can someone explain why Scheme picks are looked down upon? Or at least that's my impression.
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 10:18 PM
Quote:

Can someone explain why Scheme picks are looked down upon? Or at least that's my impression.

Probably because we have a new scheme every year
Posted By: Millcreek Dawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 10:22 PM
If I remember, Little and Gordon worked out together. Hmmmm. Besides, Little could teach Braylon Edwards a few things about dropping passes.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 10:25 PM
Doesn't it seem like we always have a WR who struggles to catch the ball? (Quincy, Braylon, Little, Northcutt that one, terrible time). It's maddening.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 10:41 PM
I am not surprised. There was movement last year to cut the guy and this move indicates that Farmer was on board with that.

I think Farmer see's some talent we just brought in....I also think he feels Josh Cooper will have a hard time making the team but he would have kept him over Little.

Time to move on....let one of the new undrafted guys have their shot to drop passes like Little did....or....maybe...actually become a find
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 10:54 PM
Sooner rather than later. Feels like message here for this team. Maybe several. Hope he does well next stop, but not against us.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 10:59 PM
Also shows loyalty to a fault. What did you have to do to earn the pine. Cutting our throat too often....

Not interested in more of the same apparently. Pulled for him, but every project has its day. failure to improve is not an NFL lifestyle. Can't fault the JUGS machine.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 11:02 PM
Quote:

Quote:

To add to my last post just above. Bitonio had a higher overall draft grade than Lee by most.

Who are most?

I was wondering the exact same thing.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 11:04 PM
Can't say I am shocked, upset or any of the above. I lost hope with Greg last season after all those drops. Then you throw in the off-field traffic violations... yeah, see ya Little.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 11:08 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who are most?

I was wondering the exact same thing.

I don't know if that was a correct statement or not. I'll just say I am happy with the OL pick and good with that over a WR.

I think we just brought in several good wide receivers.
Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 11:15 PM
Quote:

Good luck at the next stop, Greg. Just please no Baltimore or Pittsburgh.

Please Baltimore or especially Pitt! Guy is an opposing team's best defense. He's good for at least 4 drops/game when he's even thrown to at all. I just wish we could play against the guy every week!
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 11:18 PM
Well said, sir...

Can you imagine being "happy" to watch Greg Little do what he does best, drop catchable balls? I for one would love to see it, especially if it's in a Raven of Stooler uniform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 11:23 PM
Gotta love what Farmer is doing. I certainly do. He's getting rid of all the dead weight! The guy is not screwing around. I'm finally starting to have a "Little" hope.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 11:34 PM
Quote:

I don't know if that was a correct statement or not.

Which is what I am questioning.

Quote:

I'll just say I am happy with the OL pick and good with that over a WR.

I'm in a "wait and see" situation regarding that. If Lee or Matthews turn out to be great WR's, I think the wrong player was picked.

Quote:

I think we just brought in several good wide receivers.

I believe if that's the case, our definition of the word good is different. I believe they've put a band aid on a bullet wound. Which I at least give them credit for doing. Health has been an issue for both signings and they really haven't been anything above "average at best" for a while now.

I like for young QB's to be paired with a young WR so they can build a chemistry together that will last for years and grow.

The only thing I see that even resembles that is Hawkins, which I like better than any of the signings we've made at the WR position.
Posted By: Fox&Hound7 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 11:50 PM
Good riddance.

Little couldn't do diddly-poo when the moment got big for him. Stone hands and lack of brains. If you can't produce then I want nothing to do with your services. I don't have 5 years to wait for you to figure out how to catch a football.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/16/14 11:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Probably because we have a new scheme every year

Nice,,, do you have a real answer or not?
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 12:26 AM
Quote:

j/c

Phil Taylor only #Browns player left from trade of Julio Jones pick in 2011 draft.

Grossi will never drop his personal vendetta about this trade or his hatred for Mangini, will he?!
Posted By: ShotCaller Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 12:28 AM
Quote:

My only logical answer is that - and I am not speaking of myself - but people see the pick and are thinking "What the heck?! This guy is projected to go a lot later" most of the time, but in our defensive or offensive scheme, he fits in perfect with where he was drafted at due to his strengths. Not to mention there are almost always other players left on the board that Kiper & Co. have ranked a lot higher, but it's not their expertise to know every team's schemes so to speak. They just watch film on prospects all day every day.

That's my only logical guess.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 12:30 AM
Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Grossi will never drop his personal vendetta about this trade or his hatred for Mangini, will he?!

Haha I know it. Not a week goes by that he doesn't mention this trade in some manner. He loves when that draft looks worse and worse.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 12:34 AM
j/c:

Curious move. Wonder if he is another drug user? If so, I get it.

If not, it was a dumb ass move.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 12:38 AM
This move had just as much to do with Little's off the field behavior as it did to do with his on the field production. The kid has a ton of talent, but not a ton of heart and desire to be the best that he can be as a NFL WR.
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 12:41 AM
I would be very surprised if Little wasn't a weed smoker. 25% of the league smokes according to recent rumblings. Little is a well known knuckle head, i'd be amazed if he isn't in that 25% occasionally.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 12:52 AM
Yeah, that was kind of my point.
Posted By: ddubia Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 02:23 AM
Quote:

"He can't catch a break"

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 03:34 AM
Quote:

This move had just as much to do with Little's off the field behavior as it did to do with his on the field production. The kid has a ton of talent, but not a ton of heart and desire to be the best that he can be as a NFL WR.

That flies in the face of everything that has been reported about Little.

This is the kid who stayed after practice to work with other groups on specific skills ..... working with the DL to make his hands better at disengaging from press coverage, and other similar stories. He was the hardest working blocker among the WR corps.

I don't think that it was a lack of desire, but simply an inability to get his hands right. Perhaps there were some issues in his personal life as well, but I do not believe that he was a lazy player ...... just one who lacked the ability to get his hands right.
Posted By: Kingcob Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 07:39 AM
Quote:

Yeah, that was kind of my point.

But I reiterated your point with loose statistics therefore making it better!
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 11:10 AM
Also he and Gordon hung out together in the off season...supposedly working out. Possibly so and then a relaxing blunt after they showered...ya never know. But possibly he was given a new route system from Kyle a month ago and when they had their Mini-Camp he didn't know a thing as I never heard the words Little and Smart said together??? So we cut ties after we made the two FA signings. Who we thought were going to be ahead of Little on the depth chart and this was Littles last year on the contract.

I don't think you really think this is dumb. I was also waiting for you to give Farmer Props as you were dissing the guy for taking WRs early in the draft as the BOZOS were suggesting he would. He did not...he traded back, got a kick butt CB prospect, 1st round pick in 2015 - JM at 22 who you liked a lot and the best OG in this draft at 35. I know you and I know how you think and freaking Farmer made moves that normally you would love. Come on dawg, start loving these guys as your own cause they mirror a lot of your thoughts.

And may God bless your surgeon I will be praying for you tomorrow and throughout the week. Can't wait till you get into our Coaching Staff and Farmer cause they seem to be your kind of guys! I understand you have your time table on that.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 11:18 AM
j/c

The more I think about this, the more I see three possible reasons as to why we cut him now and not earlier/later:

1. He showed up to mini camp out of shape and/or ill-prepared (probably after earlier warnings)

2. He has some "bad" ties to the Gordon situation, and we wanted to separate ourselves from them

3. He asked for his release after the signings of Austin and Bennett, and we obliged
Posted By: Lyuokdea Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 12:04 PM
Sad to see Greg Little go.... wasn't a good WR (due mostly to hands) - but he did a lot of things very well.

The timing is weird. I wonder if there is some sort of suspension/other mess coming down for little. Otherwise (especially given the injury situations of our top WRs) I would think he'd be around for workouts.

The hands of our WR core just got tremendously better (-Little - Bess + Austin + Bennett)
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 02:12 PM
j/c

With 25+ WRs taken in this 'deep WR' draft, that means a bunch of guys who made NFL rosters last year will likely get cut - solid vets but guys nearing the end of their career/contract, guys still developing, and guys coming off their rookie years who had promise just one year ago.

After the draft, we were able to bring in several UDFAs with potential and pickup two FA vets who may or may not pan out - but who have produced before in the league.

As we move through camps and other teams release players - for a variety of reasons - we will have even more tires to kick.

I think that strategy will reap quicker benefits than would have been reaped by taking the 10th WR on the board when players we rated higher were still available (and then picked).
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 02:19 PM
Not trying to be rude, but if you're a WR and you can't catch, I don't think the other things, regardless of how well he did or didn't do them - is pretty trivial. A WR who can't catch is like a Ferrari with no gas. It gets old just looking at it cause all it can do is sit there.

JMO, but if the front office viewed two injury proned vets, a bunch of undrafted rookies as a better fitting to their "play like a Brown" motto than Little - then it's clear to me Greg i/was beyond expendable and was viewed pretty low by the staff.

Not many people will disagree or blame them for it either... I actually kind of endorse it big time. The staff is sending all the right msgs with their actions. Alex and Haden indicate you play hard, perform, you'll get paid here. You play like crap like Bess and Little, you'll find yourself looking for a new team. I just am digging Pettine/Farmer.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 02:30 PM
I was just thinking about this on anotehr thread, and I think that it applies here as well.

There has to be more to this story.

Greg Little is a talented player who needs "coached up" to attain consistency. That is the kind of player/challenge that Pettine specifically said that he would never back away from, because he believes in his coaches ability to get the most out of a talented player. He was talking about Clowney, and how he' has a reputation for not applying himself as much as he could .... but I would think that it applies to players already on the team as well.

I believe that there has to be more to this story that hasn't come out. Little is more physically talented than anyone on the roster. I mean, really, who do you want at the #1 receiver without Gordon in the lineup ..... Little, who does many things well, but has hands issues ...... or a guy like Cooper, who would get shut down completely by a #1 CB?

There has to be more to the story. It cost them nothing to keep him at this point, and he is far more talented than almost everyone we kept at WR.

Makes me wonder.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 02:53 PM
j/c

I think people are reading a lot into this.

They simply cut a player who many said should have been cut last year. When a WR has no consistency in being able to catch the ball, he will be cut.

They signed three FA WR's during the off season. It was simply time for Little to go.

It's kind of funny actually. When a story comes out saying something did happen, people dance around making things up trying to deny it.

When no story comes out, people try to make up a story as further reasoning for a very logical move.

Kinda funny really.......
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 02:58 PM
+ 1

Yes, when I read the comments about the "conspiracy theory(s)" type stuff - it just makes me wonder... if Greg were on another team, would he have been cut or benched sooner?

The team let go a three-seasoned player that has struggled more than produced at their respected position. Why does there have to be any more to the story than that? It's business in my eyes. No different than someone in an everyday normal Joe-Smo job getting canned for not performing to expectations IMO.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 03:04 PM
The only thing I'd like to have seen is trying him at RB. I mean he was decent once he caught the ball and turned up field,, Pretty tough guy.. Not sure how it would have translated.. He did have experience playing RB before so I just kinda wondered. I actually wondered that last year when we seemed to have ZIP at RB.. Probably would have been a good time to try him out.. Oh well..
Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 03:33 PM
Anyone..over/under how much longer Little stays in the league? I give him no more than 2 more seasons with very little playing time. Not too many teams will be willing to put up with his drive killing drops no matter how good a blocker he is.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 03:40 PM
Quote:

Anyone..over/under how much longer Little stays in the league? I give him no more than 2 more seasons with very little playing time. Not too many teams will be willing to put up with his drive killing drops no matter how good a blocker he is.

Frankly, once a player leaves the Browns, I don't care one bit how they do elsewhere.
Posted By: ddubia Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 04:02 PM
Well, I wish him good luck if he goes somewhere else. At the same time I'm glad the saga is over.
Posted By: pblack18707 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 05:12 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

j/c

Haha I know it. Not a week goes by that he doesn't mention this trade in some manner. He loves when that draft looks worse and worse.

About a bad Browns trade ...

The decision to cut Greg Little means the Browns have only one player left from the mega 2011 draft day deal with Atlanta for the rights to Julio Jones. That's Phil Taylor, who has been a solid defensive tackle.

Little has been awful. He ranked 111th out of 111 receivers by profootballfocus. He's dropped 31 passes in the last three seasons, and never showed the speed or big-play ability that the Browns expected when making him a second-round pick in 2011.

Jones battled a foot injury last year, but he's caught 20 touchdown passes in three seasons and has big-play ability. Most fans know about him.

But the Browns also traded a third-rounder that day to Kansas City. That pick became linebacker Justin Houston, who has made Pro Bowls in 2012 and 2013. Every year, the trade looks worse for the orange helmets.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/05/terrys_talkin_johnny_manziel_c.html

well it did not turn out well for us.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 05:18 PM
Quote:

Not trying to be rude, but if you're a WR and you can't catch, I don't think the other things, regardless of how well he did or didn't do them - is pretty trivial. A WR who can't catch is like a Ferrari with no gas. It gets old just looking at it cause all it can do is sit there.

JMO, but if the front office viewed two injury proned vets, a bunch of undrafted rookies as a better fitting to their "play like a Brown" motto than Little - then it's clear to me Greg i/was beyond expendable and was viewed pretty low by the staff.

Not many people will disagree or blame them for it either... I actually kind of endorse it big time. The staff is sending all the right msgs with their actions. Alex and Haden indicate you play hard, perform, you'll get paid here. You play like crap like Bess and Little, you'll find yourself looking for a new team. I just am digging Pettine/Farmer.

+1.

P.S. I wonder if any other team will sign him now?
Posted By: The Nuke Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 07:44 PM
I guess it was the decent thing to do, giving him a chance to sign with another team early. But I would have liked to have seen him compete for the job in training camp. I liked Little's fight and what he could do with the ball.

I think it is unfair to judge him based on the QBs that have been throwing to him. Sure, he's had lots of drops, but lets not forget we brought in Bess as the possession receiver and look how that turned out.
Posted By: PDR Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 08:24 PM
Not sure why there has to be more to the story.

Little couldn't get open and he couldn't catch. I didn't expect him to make the team this year.

If we want a physically talented WR who can't put it together, Braylon Edwards is out there.
Posted By: Hoosier Dawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 10:26 PM
Farmer continues to impress the heck out of me. I've been wanting this guy and his hands where footballs go to die cut for 2 years now. What's all this wish he would've had another chance talk? Have y'all watched the Browns play? He has been an undependable drive killer for 3 long years in Cleveland and what he could've became and all the plays that he did make (not alot) never made up for how many drives he's killed with his hands on backwards. I haven't been this happy about getting rid of a player since the Browns have came back. Greg Little is not an NFL WR...we gave him 3 years and he has proven that.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/17/14 10:39 PM
One of the things to look for is a receiver with good hands. Little did not pass the "Allstate" test. Well, he was more like Mayhem...

It is unfortunate, but he was a liability and a drive killer. and QB's would go elsewhere when given a choice.

I hope he improves elsewhere, he is a very good blocker, and sometimes it was pretty obvious that the Browns would run to his side.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 12:28 PM
I like Greg too but as stated he was a drive killer with those drops. He can be replaced with one of the UFA. As of now he was 4th wideout at best.
Posted By: bigdatut Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 12:59 PM
J/C...

The fact that people would waste one second wondering if their's more to the story or questioning why he wouldn't be allowed to compete in training camp is amazing to me... dude's a bum.

Yeah, he tried hard - but he's got one real job as a WR - catch the ball. He wasn't good at it. That's not a "coached up" type of thing (good Lord I hate that term)... you can either catch or you can't. He couldn't do it regularly - check ya later, Greg.

Next.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 01:28 PM
Quote:

J/C...

The fact that people would waste one second wondering if their's more to the story or questioning why he wouldn't be allowed to compete in training camp is amazing to me... dude's a bum.

Yeah, he tried hard - but he's got one real job as a WR - catch the ball. He wasn't good at it. That's not a "coached up" type of thing (good Lord I hate that term)... you can either catch or you can't. He couldn't do it regularly - check ya later, Greg.

Next.

I've seen on this board many times over the years how it takes a player three years to develop into what he can become.

Yet after three years, Little can't catch the ball. Now people are looking for a conspiracy theory as to why he was cut? Isn't this the exact kind of made up crap some of those same people blame the media of?
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 01:33 PM
Quote:

J/C...

Next.

Another great post. Most people indicate he's on his last year of his contract, which I completely agree. I was ready to hang Greg until I knew this. Then it became more of a "well he can stay then and just ride the lower depths of the chart" for another year until his contract is up and done and just never resign him.

But now he's gone, I am definitely not mad or upset about it. Like I said earlier, the team's front office is sending hte right msgs. Chud would have levied to keep him and he'd continue to play Little and give him shots. This staff... you don't produce, you're history. Which mindset do you support?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 03:22 PM
Quote:

J/C...

Next.

Can't really argue with that at all.. the only thing I wish we would have tried is RB for him. The only reason I say that is once he did catch the ball, he wasn't easy to being down. Anyway, at this point, we have better options at RB so it doesn't matter.

we actually did him a favor releasing him this early. He now has a chance to try and catch (no pun intended) on with another team...
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 03:31 PM
Our backfield with West, Tate, Lewis, Baker, Obi and all else is already a bit crowded with talent. Lewis, who knows what kind of explosion really he could be, firecracker or nuclear warhead? Baker showed up last year and showed he can fit inbetween tackles, catch the ball and he did it better than any of the backs we threw on the field. Obi is a "I don't know" guy. Those fumbles make it hard to see the good he's done.

West looks beast mode in the videos i've watched. It's clear why they moved up for him. He can catch, block and dance... and of course bulldoze.

Tate, we all know what he's capable of if can stay healthy. There's no room for Greg there IMO. Not sure Greg would want to play there IMO. Said it best, it was nice for them to release it early. I'd say I'm 100% certain another team is going to snag Greg. What he is and does from there is debatable...
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 03:49 PM
Quote:

ur backfield with West, Tate, Lewis, Baker, Obi and all else is already a bit crowded with talent.

Which is why I said that we have better options at this point.

But last year, we were hurting for some help at RB. Little was not worth a lot as a WR,, but had experience as a RB,, I'd have loved it had they tried it then..

Didn't happen, not sure it would have worked, wouldn't have hurt anything to try it but that's yesterdays news and all I can do now is wish the kid the best..
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 06:18 PM
Quote:

But now he's gone, I am definitely not mad or upset about it. Like I said earlier, the team's front office is sending hte right msgs. Chud would have levied to keep him and he'd continue to play Little and give him shots. This staff... you don't produce, you're history. Which mindset do you support?

We really don't know what Chud would have done this year.

Last year, who did we have that could step in for Little? Could you imagine Cooper playing the #2 receiver role? Or Benjamin? Davone Bess? Actually Chud did bench Little, and slid Bess into the starting role, and he stunk too. Gurley? I don't think so. If he could have done anything, he would have made it to the field at some point. Charles Johnson? Hurt befire we signed him off the Packers practice squad. We kept limited receivers to allow for additional OL to develop ...... and because we really didn't have many options at WR to start with. We had Norwood, but Bess was supposed to make him expendable.We had David Nelson, who I really liked, but who missed almost all of camp.

This tear Farmer has already given Pettine far more WR options, veterans and rookies, than Banner and Lombardi did last year. Our big veteran signing last year was Nelson, who couldn't practice until TC was almost over.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 07:27 PM
Nelson is sad. I don't think we gave him enough time to get his football feet back under him. I forget the team that picked him up, but I recall him making some plays and catches. I know I ripped him a bit, but he did indeed make some plays for the Jets I believe.

As for who'd we replace/play Little with if we were playing Chud's shoes last year... virtually anyone. Cooper showed more hope/faith when a ball was being thrown his way than Little did. Gurley 'could' have made some plays and etc if Little wasn't granted all the reps that he hadn't earned and/or didn't deserve (IMO). To say we had a bunch of "crap" pretty much is a bit tough to agree with. Yes, some no-name guys that really wasn't given a legit shot. They weren't given a legit shot b/c Chud felt obligated to continue to play the struggling Bess and struggling Little over them.

Yes it's a "we will never know" ordeal, but we'd may be appreciating the Gurleys, the Coopers, the whoevers... but no, we'd gave the chance and glory to Little whom after two seasons, showed he can't be consistent. Whom after three seasons, showed his ticket outta here to the new staff.

You can't find gold through crappy dirt if you never replace/take out the crappy dirt. I don't recall Little being benched either, I believe he was "denoted" by Chud the Dud, which resulted in Bess being promoted (talk about slitting both wrists at once and replacing a turd with another turd). I could be wrong though. Greg was borderline not even worth dressing on game days.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 07:29 PM
Cooper is too small to play on the outside consistently. Gurley has done nothing yet in his career. Neither guy was any real option.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 07:39 PM
I agree on Nelson. Gator ties aside, I always liked Nelson....a big body with solid hands.

No way that guy should have been cut over some of the guys we kept.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/18/14 07:43 PM
Quote:

I agree on Nelson. Gator ties aside, I always liked Nelson....a big body with solid hands.

No way that guy should have been cut over some of the guys we kept.

I seem to recall that he was less than impressive in his only action of the preseason, and dropped a couple of passes when he could finally play at all.

I really liked Nelson, but I could see why they didn't feel that they could trust his health at that point,
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/19/14 01:04 PM
I think Bennett fills the role that Little had. I think everything else that happened is irrelevant in this conversation. It may have happened even if Gordon was never suspended.

I think they wanted to see if they could score a WR in the draft to take his spot. That didn't happen, but they still were able to find a guy in the FA crop. I don't think cutting Greg Little way back would have been smart. Not until you know you could fill the role.

I mean let's face it, short of one of these UDFA guys blowing up the league, you're not going to fill Gordon's role as the team's dynamic #1. The Browns are going to have to find a different way to make up for the production.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/19/14 01:32 PM
Quote:

He just never grasped the position.

Or the ball
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/19/14 01:46 PM
Quote:

Quote:

He just never grasped the position.

Or the ball

well played, sir.
Posted By: Riley01 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/19/14 01:51 PM
????????????? can you explain why it would of been a a dumb ass move to not keep a wide out that cant catch very well?........just curious
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 05/19/14 02:10 PM
Not trying to put words into his mouth, but I'd assume he think it's dumb for one of two reasons (or perhaps both):

1. The Timing - why not wait until final cuts to see if he's improved/progressed?

2. His Talent/Athleticism - there is no question he is an athletic freak; who knows if that light might click?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 06/10/14 09:57 PM
I suspect that Farmer just felt that he didn't see improvement last year, and wasn't willing to sit around waiting to see if he improved in his 3rd season. Farmer brought in a bunch of youngsters and veterans, and we can use the time to sort out the position without worrying about a guy who obviously wasn't in their plans.

I think that they really seem to like 4 guys who are making excellent impressions early on ... Hawkins, Armstrong, Bennett, and the rookie Chandler Jones.

Then they also have guys like Burleson, Austin, and Vernon Conner is supposed to have made a strong impression as well.

It is possible that the WR corps may wind up being a unit that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 06/10/14 10:12 PM
Could be... could be the Brown's were sending a msg. They locked up Haden mega big contract, Alex Mack mega big contract because why? Because they balled and played at a high level. Greg Little did not.

I'd love to know exactly why Ray sent him packing (is it jsut downright because his consistency level is very stinky? Msg sending? What exactly minus speculation), as' well as why Groves was also axed...

Either or, won't lose any sleep over either of those players not being in a Brown and orange uniform anymore...
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Browns Release Greg Little - 06/10/14 11:47 PM
Quote:

Could be... could be the Brown's were sending a msg. They locked up Haden mega big contract, Alex Mack mega big contract because why? Because they balled and played at a high level. Greg Little did not.

I'd love to know exactly why Ray sent him packing (is it jsut downright because his consistency level is very stinky? Msg sending? What exactly minus speculation), as' well as why Groves was also axed...

Either or, won't lose any sleep over either of those players not being in a Brown and orange uniform anymore...

I would imagine they probably let him go because he had trouble doing his job (catching the ball).
© DawgTalkers.net