Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#886138 05/17/14 09:29 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

The Browns have a stable of running backs. Ben Tate, Dion Lewis, Edwin Baker, Terrance West, plus Obonnaya, and Chris Pressley as FB's.

They also signed Isaiah Crowell as a free agent. This guy was SEC rookie of the year at Georgia. A former high school All American and big time recruit.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/isaiah-crowell-vs-south-carolina-2011/

Watch his tape against S. Carolina as a freshman.

He then got into trouble.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/19815...ot-at-nfl-draft

Maybe this guy has turned the corner as a man. The talent is there.

He could be the surprise of camp.

bonefish #886139 05/17/14 09:32 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. He has the ability to stick and make an impact.

I think Obi is history.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #886140 05/17/14 09:51 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

DraftBrowns.com Staff Writer: Justin Higdon

Over the past couple of years, former SEC football stars Janoris Jenkins and Tyrann Mathieu have survived being booted from their respective FBS programs to become Day Two NFL draft picks. Jenkins went on to play college football in the FCS ranks, while Mathieu rebuilt his image off the field. Both players went on to successful rookie campaigns, and at least temporarily rewarded the NFL decision-makers who gambled on them. This year, former Georgia running back Isaiah Crowell is hoping to follow in their footsteps.

Isaiah Crowell RB

School: Alabama State

HeiÞÓÏñôAáO‰-îdÈ=”€<ÙP•˜Lßctk:Ÿ“26óvu»z= ¼XˆKš`ÝHüêŸbn°>H‚ãçC“˜0lº;’ö™*œ.rhQõæéYA5–š«­;6Uÿ¿KðYeÆpVÈßqR™0‰L Ê‚Áá‰,/×ôãY9FüÛ¢cJDË h‡!äýY20ÉÞl¥q9v"ý€—Ùr[ìþI TmÑR;ÉiË:%Zû‰âõ!@’ûº¸6QEñ¬ÐÎg Ì[ô0ð&y¹'ø‚ðÄô)óA§h¤¡*K  ë*'†dšFí#~×=˜44¤¦«P-¼¾ÀãL†^8ì w>DQÿ}ª ‘éš ÑpÓ9Ìw¤§r´\#ƒ€ã…Õú‰3LÕPå2üµtª?µÕ ú¸±ØzTðá(…‘ãüë)×/íò ¨d†ú;…Û|­w»=mÞÄ6f·ì oÈ´³ªõ Ê…v°£5Þf ¹ty<ÜdÌ'ÉÖ§ Ñ¶˜oÓß—kË»`Ë»E¹n o¢v7mthÈÁ*h*6ŒøQðxdó¤¯k/­ÛKt¸stßru"°wp  uÖ§ÿ9Iâ¹Áz ºe žqbÍõ˶ºe¸z )j|`¸¥õÍdz;?ý9§Ðo¸.~«§Êní~­èh°'²¡|¤ìËÃhuÁoÇgŒ¬£.\SϾ¡¥AƒyfžãcoÇWgÇ׸È š£ K ÒÚêÍv¦ÙR³¤Ç§í«ÖÞlúªo¾Ãm¬´‡ºÊPÀÕy7ȶwÓriDñð—¦Í}µœhxµÄRº å(QNDl °Û¿aOW¦˶Ž™ïdñw¥knè}¤¶k)KMe ¶Lÿna²RRµëÛ a=稾ʨIк¥ºo¯5® ÃÕ5Ù¬©çeµ;fß`¡þjaÞé\ËÄgb}¸H8š²tØ’Oqt“ª~‚ÖÓ¡ƒth‹©ñeÒ$ÎÝ<ÔÝwI)$½cZç9¼bi wÞÝ%½¹¡¤¼Ã¡¤yþ¥deAÛßùBÉ fÍbº¹.êx?¹»ÏòìQd¬»M¡¹ls?fæ|Êʾw±ðÃÇr´ì31ãø3”-N{avô×̶3veÜÃ#-æøäZ%}zj4Ú¸jªiÐc™mÒÛjÖl|}_€V[ù= ¡‚ß9¡pÕËAð7fÏ|s›¡^Ý=sxªÛx̆šÍsÕeÕ;Çg~  · šwôÞnkµÀ zž^ jæh¥Èj»÷x·ÞÈéÓÜ8©®{¢Ü ž°ÓÑ ½¤wÝ8ÂeÚNSŒwzÑ gæãP_ã±É¨  •Nm •ùQê±½"0h_ÆÂf6hgû»Á§êÙzДµl|Ö ;uÏ× ÎB›0 ¢ÅyŒneéÉCajZ Úšg§P×Ëpr̽½tµ ¥ožgµOoÊß:±iΞsÏ ßUÙµc¾™bÌbÝÛ"Öeg|NfÈ5 òeG¤ Ÿm¸Îl%Q¬ttpw­¡º¸ig †¤¹×±úÉm©ÏÞk±7ÉfÇuÓo“¿®|W¡vÚÛu|4©¤¿þñ“£¿¦µ½¼‡v¯|x ±åÆ®°þ¡ª½{ \ߪŒȱb¬ñ±¡ã¦½–«»Øc å±Û±\¬¸YÅd6t ªéコãìNMé·Û¶â IJ­Ñ­;]èx©r©\}­0¤Y©°´c¬Œ§ß¬­¥Y¡Á`â¦yÊå4®È|©£©³üÊ®Àµe»eð]Ž°;{|Å×09¿Øç`®ÇdþßÂéjUºÈ—´´¼½ý³µnt on grinding for extra yardage that he can get a little out of control at the end of his runs. While coaches will appreciate the tenacity, his style may lead to issues with ball security.

Crowell’s vision and instincts allow him to feel defenders before they arrive, and his quick feet make him elusive in the open field. While he didn’t test particularly well in agility drills, Crowell has been able to make people miss throughout his career. Though he caught just 26 passes as a collegian, he appears to be a capable receiver whose lack of production in the passing game has more to do with the system than his own ability. Similarly, while he has shown that he can block, evidence is limited and he is likely to need significant polish.

While Crowell exhibits talent, he has spent the past two seasons facing lower-level competition, and, despite his coach’s aforementioned endorsement, he carries a reputation for immaturity. Based on ability, he may have been a mid-to-late Day Two pick, but as things stand he may very well go undrafted. Former Bears Scouting Director Greg Gabriel even went so far as to say that “anyone who drafts Crowell is out of their (sic) mind.” Safe to say the one-time hot-shot running back may want to schedule something other than waiting by the phone for his draft weekend plans.

Draft Projection: Sixth to Seventh Round

http://www.draftbrowns.com/2014/04/2014-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-isaiah-crowell/

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
bonefish #886141 05/17/14 10:00 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Talented definitely and yet a UDFA not a 2nd day pick or 3rd. Of course all RBs seemed to get pushed back a bit.

1. One thing we know...we signed him so we recognized his talents and we will give him the OPPORTUNITY to prove himself worthy of a roster spot.

2. I still think we will carry.
a. Tate b. Lewis c. West
it might be wise to keep another because the first two have had injuries. That other should be Crowell as long as he stay with the Straight and Narrow. We will have a very short leash we will see what he will do with some money in his pocket will he be wise or get into trouble? I am of the mold that all these young men have good in their heart and need direction. We'll see what happens as he is in MANHOOD now. Hopefully he matures...Gordon did not so we have to be cautious.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
bonefish #886142 05/17/14 10:12 AM
Legend
Legend
Probably the most physically talented RB on the roster.

His problems have all been above the neck. This is the prime example of a kid that Pettine believes can be "coached up" ...... and he needs it because from what I have read, he has had questionable commitment to almost every aspect of his life, including football.

I wouldn't necessarily count on him becoming anything ...... but he has the physical talent to be one of the best right now. The challenge for the coaches is to bring that talent out, while helping the kid develop some much needed maturity.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Ballpeen #886143 05/17/14 10:22 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I think Obi is history.

Him or Baker now seem expendable... we'll see who makes the cut and who doesn't.

Dawg_LB #886144 05/17/14 10:31 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I think Obi is history.

Him or Baker now seem expendable... we'll see who makes the cut and who doesn't.

I think that Baker may hang around. In very limited time, he had half of the team's rushing touchdowns with two. It was just 3 games, but he had just 6 fewer carries than Ogbonnaya and averaged 57 yards and 14 carries a game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've copied this description of the facts of Crowell's character issues to avoid wild speculation of what kind of trouble he's had.

Just so everyone is caught up, all three of Crowell's weapons charges are from a single event where he complied with an officer's request to search his car when the officer said he smelled marijuana. He found no marijuana but found a gun with an altered serial number.

All three but you only site one gun with an altered serial number? What were the other two?

Same incident.

Other felony was for being in a school zone. Misdemeanor was for the same gun

Although a concern for me this incident is less troubling that Gordon's history. I'm more concerned by a small set of remarks from the Alabama St coaching staff that implied that he did not always work hard. I think the talent is tremendous. I hope he realizes that he will have to earn his way on to this team and may have to play special teams just to make the squad. If he takes it that seriously and does stick I think his talent will emerge and we won't be able to bury him on the bench.

Good luck Isaiah.

Dawg_LB #886146 05/17/14 10:56 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think Obi is history.

Probably both will be gone. either way, they have an uphill battle

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Firstly, anyone and everyone knows a gun with the serial numbers altered or filed off, which is usually the case in such instances, is probably stolen and considered a throw away gun.

Secondly, Gordon can't kill anyone with what he's done. Smoking weed on drinking purple drank, or whatever, has only the potential to harm yourself.

So while I do agree that Gordon has shown more of a pattern of repeat offenses, someone carrying around a stolen throw away gun is pretty disturbing.

When you stop and think about it, Gordon made mistakes that dropped him to the second round, Crowell wasn't even drafted. So it would appear his violations seemed far more concerning to NFL teams.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I remember reading that he's been a really immature kid too.

This kid was probably the most talented RB in this draft, yet he went undrafted. There has to be more to the story than just that one incident. I read an article that he did not want to listen to his coaches, and tried to do things his own way. That can work in college ..... but it will never work in the NFL.

As far as the backups, I don't get why Lewis is seen as the clear winner of a backup spot. Last year, in DC, the RB corps, and backups, were all bigger players. They were all 215# and above. I don't think that hey were looking for the lightweight RBs.

I look at the Browns RB corps right now. (* Indicates player brought in this year)

*Tate: 217#
*West: 223#
Baker: 215#
*Crowell: 225#
Cook: 215#
Obi: 225#

Lewis: 195#

Lewis is, at least, 20# lighter than every other RB on the roster. I don't know if he fits their ideal, or if such things don't matter to the coaches. Maybe he is incredibly talented ...... maybe not ...... so far we don't know, because he hasn't done anything for the Cleveland Browns yet.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

bonefish #886149 05/17/14 11:47 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Just read the Bio link I provided. It covers his whole case history.

One other thing this guy is not a 4.57 guy which is what he clocked at the combine.

He is a legit 4.4 something guy. It rained at his pro day so he did not get the chance to improve his time.

Watch his game film and you can see the speed is there. This guy will know this is his shot to make it. He will be all business. I expect him to challenge for a roster spot and he may prove to be more.

PitDAWG #886150 05/17/14 12:09 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Firstly, anyone and everyone knows a gun with the serial numbers altered or filed off, which is usually the case in such instances, is probably stolen and considered a throw away gun.

Secondly, Gordon can't kill anyone with what he's done. Smoking weed on drinking purple drank, or whatever, has only the potential to harm yourself.

So while I do agree that Gordon has shown more of a pattern of repeat offenses, someone carrying around a stolen throw away gun is pretty disturbing.

When you stop and think about it, Gordon made mistakes that dropped him to the second round, Crowell wasn't even drafted. So it would appear his violations seemed far more concerning to NFL teams.

My intent was simply to lay out the facts as dispassionately as I could. In hopes that the habitual tendency among some to distort or exaggerate might be avoided.

Pit, you don't need my permission to feel anyway that you choose to. But the reverse is equally true.

I regret having mentioned Gordon it was purely in terms of the chronic,(no pun intended but I can't help but chuckle) nature of his alleged infractions. I'm actually pro decriminalization of marijuana.

I'm not at all interested in engaging in another typical forum hissy fit so if that's what you want you'll need to look elsewhere.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No, just giving my opinion of it. If we all felt the same way about everything, why would people even use message boards to discuss varying opinions?

Quote:

I'm actually pro decriminalization of marijuana.

I'm actually pro legalization and heavy taxation prone myself.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #886152 05/17/14 02:01 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think the Browns will keep 4 running backs with 2 guaranteed spots and 2 having position battles.

1. Ben Tate
2. Terrance West
3. Dion Lewis / Edwin Baker
4. Chris Ogbannaya / Isaiah Crowell

C
Legend
Legend
C
Ogbonnaya's versatility will help him out a lot.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I think the Browns will keep 4 running backs with 2 guaranteed spots and 2 having position battles.

1. Ben Tate
2. Terrance West
3. Dion Lewis / Edwin Baker
4. Chris Ogbannaya / Isaiah Crowell

I think Crowell finds the practice squad. It's also hard to say how Lewis fits with the new staff.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #886155 05/17/14 02:48 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Hopefully he won't. But I also don't see the Browns carrying 3 one cut, big backs into the season.

cfrs15 #886156 05/17/14 03:18 PM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

He can fumble from two different positions

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sorry, I've been traveling so I never got to expand on my comment on the UDFA thread. However, Crowell was known to be a slacker in every regard: Sitting out practices, not playing hard, partying, letting his grades drop. Keep in mind, this is the same ASU team that has been suspended from post season play next year due to poor grades. He just always seemed like the type of individual who fell on hard times and just crumbled hard and didn't really seem to care at all. There is no question that he has the talent, the question is does he have the desire or will this just be another bump in the road. For someone who did so well in the SEC, he should have just absolutely dominated the SWAC but it just never happened. Even with all of the hype of opening their own on campus football stadium, which was a HUGE deal there.

He certainly has the talent, the only question is does he still have that drive? What I saw from him there told me that he absolutely does not. Who knows though, the $$$ might finally make him re-commit.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Kingcob #886158 05/17/14 04:41 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

He can fumble from two different positions

Just two?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crowell won't make the team but it would be awesome if somehow he turns it around in camp.

#886160 05/17/14 06:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I feel like Baker should make the roster, he is a pretty craft player.

#886161 05/17/14 06:49 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I like that our UDFA RB's are bubble players, rather than guys we're counting on to produce.

I like the Tate signing and hope that he can stay healthy. Very intrigued by West. He has the potential to be special. Maybe this year's Alfred Morris.

I'd prefer a slobberknocker like Vickers over West Coast twigs like Marecic or Obi, but it would be nice if one of these new guys could bring a little balance to the fullback position. Good lead blocking skills, but the ability to catch a ball or two out of the backfield.

That leaves Baker, Lewis, Obi and Crowell fighting for 1, maybe 2 spots. I think Obi is history. Lewis depends on how much they value a scat back.

I expect to have a much improved running game this year. Worried about the pass, but let's focus on a little optimism as long as we can.

PitDAWG #886162 05/18/14 08:58 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E

Just wanted to put it out there...the environment this kid was brought up on probably has this as a pfft thing in comparison. Its hard - Some of the kids (20's) I am dealing with - I am shocked how many have family who were shot and killed and at least 2-3 every season I hear of another being killed. This is with 40 guys in the fold. I cannot relate to that type of environment - which is pretty much all I'm saying regarding the gun thing. Maturity he will have to get that in check.

Ytown...Lewis, actually he fits for that scat back, 3rd down back - Sproles type of thing. Where all the others are looking for that 3 down work horse RB thing.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #886163 05/18/14 09:27 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just wanted to put it out there...the environment this kid was brought up on probably has this as a pfft thing in comparison. Its hard - Some of the kids (20's) I am dealing with - I am shocked how many have family who were shot and killed and at least 2-3 every season I hear of another being killed. This is with 40 guys in the fold. I cannot relate to that type of environment - which is pretty much all I'm saying regarding the gun thing. Maturity he will have to get that in check.

Ytown...Lewis, actually he fits for that scat back, 3rd down back - Sproles type of thing. Where all the others are looking for that 3 down work horse RB thing.

jmho

With the other backs all being capable of playing all 3 downs, you don't need a specific 3rd down back. Why would you take Tate out, when he is a superior receiver?

West is also a very smooth receiver, who catches with his hands.

Baker proved to be capable of playing all 3 downs last year, and caught 8 passes in the final 3 games of the season.

These 3 backs are all similar size, and can all run, and catch.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Why would you take Tate out, when he is a superior receiver?

1. is he a superior WR??? Lewis is pretty darn good.
2. For a breather to pace himself for the entire season. Considering I don't think he completed one.

just for argument sake.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #886165 05/18/14 02:28 PM
Legend
Legend
No offense, but Lewis has 3 career catches for 21 yards in 3 years. I'm not counting on him for anything. Hopefully these guys all play so well in preseason that the Browns are able to trade one of them for value, while keeping great players for themselves. However, I am not counting on Lewis for anything. I do expect us to have a much improved RB unit this year though.

Heck, there is a possibility that Obi makes the roster, and neither Baker nor Lewis does. There are so many possibilities that I'm not writing anyone after Tate and West in with pen.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think Lewis makes the team. I am not sure we even want a change of pace back.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #886167 05/18/14 03:55 PM
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Like I earlier, it all depends on how much we value the role of a scat back.

My guess is that he's gone.

He was a Banner acquisition, and doesn't really fit the mold of guys we've been picking up.

Then again, maybe that works to our advantage.

A good rule of thumb when guessing with a new regime is out with the old, in with the new.

My way too early guess is Tate, West, Crowell.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Looking at that list of Rb's, I wonder, How well do each of them catch the ball. Then, How well do they pass block?

I care little how well they run the ball. About the only time you need that, is when it's first down on your own 1 yd line.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Ballpeen #886169 05/18/14 05:14 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

I don't think Lewis makes the team. I am not sure we even want a change of pace back.

I really wouldn't consider him a change of pace back. He had moves, but is just really slow.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Looking at that list of Rb's, I wonder, How well do each of them catch the ball. Then, How well do they pass block?

I care little how well they run the ball. About the only time you need that, is when it's first down on your own 1 yd line.

From watching that video, I would have to say that Crowell is not that good of a receiver, and him pass blocking IMO would be a weakness. I see the practice squad in his future.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

From looking at the Redskins top RB the past two years I'd say all that matters is how well they run the rock.

Kingcob #886172 05/18/14 11:52 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Lmao!! Sad thing is...you can almost predict when Obi will fumble

#886173 05/19/14 06:40 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Do you guys feel like Tate will be able to stay healthy this season?

There is no reason to think that he won't.

Ballpeen #886174 05/19/14 08:18 AM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I think Obi is history.

I agree, I like Obie, nothing flashy, played hard for us did whatever was asked, good guy, will miss his tuffness, but time to move forward.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Isaiah Crowell

Link Copied to Clipboard