Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Are you kidding? That's Ian Darke, who has one of the best voices and paces of soccer calls that I've ever heard. He's amazing. Gus Johnson calls for FOX, and as much as I like Gus Johnson, he's not very good.

[color:"green"] "World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Please talk amongst yourselves." Get Fuzzy[/color]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Going to penalty kicks, It would be more interesting if Chile knocks out Brazil
....... it Didn't happen..

Last edited by THROW LONG; 06/28/14 02:55 PM.
S
Legend
Legend
S
That was absolutely brutal to watch and I'm not even a fan of Chile. Hell of a way to go down. They deserved better with their effort today.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I'm not much for soccer. I only watch because both of my kids play. But, World Cup Soccer is really fun to watch. Too bad for Chile today.

On a side note: My daughter's co-ed team became city champs today by beating a team that beat them earlier this week twice this morning. My daughter scored the go ahead goal in the elimination game to seal the win.

I know that has nothing to do with the World Cup but it's a pretty good day in our house

#gmstrong.
E
Legend
Legend
E
At first I couldn't stand watching it. But it kind of grew on me. I mostly watch the world cup games when I'm doing other things. It isn't so boring then. I am sure there is a lot of strategy that I don't know about. If I understood it, it would be more exciting.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I actually flipped over to watch the PK's -- The most soccer I've ever watched in my life.

If every game was just PK's, I could really get into soccer. Too bad it took 120 minutes of nothing happening for it to get to that point.

C
Legend
Legend
C
If by "nothing" you mean "tons of things" then yes, nothing.

cfrs15 #887748 06/28/14 05:07 PM
Legend
Legend
Columbia with two of the best goals in the tournament. The first was flat out amazing. Perfect.

As for the negative Nancy's, stay out of the thread if you're just coming in to tell us how you don't like soccer. It's just bad form.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
S
Legend
Legend
S
that first goal was like a hockey snipe. Tucked it right under the crossbar, out of mid air too, that kid can play!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

As for the negative Nancy's, stay out of the thread if you're just coming in to tell us how you don't like soccer. It's just bad form.

+1 I hate when people do that in the hockey threads also. I don't like soccer at all, but don't feel a need to interrupt a good discussion to tell everyone about it. The only reason I read this thread is to see how the US is doing (without actually having to watch the games) and find out about the interesting side stories like the biting incident.

I did watch that vicious US/Canada women's game in the Olympics and was entertained.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Wow, Mexico just choked/got screwed. Gave up a goal with 2 minutes left to go ... then gave up a penalty injury time, because a stiff breeze knocked over the Dutch guy in the penalty area.

I agree with what was said before ... they REALLY need to have instant replay for penalty box infractions. It would of taken 30 seconds to review that and give the yellow card to the right guy. It took longer than that just for the referee to listen to all the complaining.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Great game today, even if Mexico did lose. Watching the Dutch play is something spectacular.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I didn't watch the beginning of the game but I hear there was a bad no call earlier that would have been a PK...what do you do in those situations.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Just got home and found out Mexico lost, and the way they did.

Isn't this just another important lesson / example, of how when you are, especially in a loser ends their season, in a game, that its just not over because you have the lead late, because as the time runs out that other team is going to do EV--erything in their power to come back and beat you.

Hey! If America wins, (which they won't but), if they do, then they can brag they are better at soccer than England, Mexico, and Spain, all in the same year. And that really is something. And without Jose Altidore and Landon Donovan, to boot.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 06/29/14 03:10 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I didn't watch the beginning of the game but I hear there was a bad no call earlier that would have been a PK...what do you do in those situations.

I get the feeling that if there was instant replay, the ref wouldn't be so hesitant to NOT call a potential penalty if he knew the booth would review it anyway. And if the "booth" would call out dives and hand out yellow cards for that after the review, it would probably cut down on the number of people trying to fall-for-a-call.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Hats off to Costa Rica. Were those guys even supposed to win a game? Unreal. Had their heart ripped out in stoppage time and still found a way. That's impressive. As much as I love the US team's story, Costa Rica is the real cinderella.

Legend
Legend
It's weird, I mean, I watch every single Browns game, because I love football. Not just the Browns. The sport itself.

Basketball has become my number two, and I think it was 09 I literally watched evry single game, which is hard to do with that schedule.. This year not so much (even a Browns fan/masochist has his limits)

I got really into the Blue Jackets playoff run this year, which is new for me. If they could just keep a few guys around I might be able to pick out a jersey... Will probably watch more going forward... And I think 2014 is the year I got to a Browns, Cavs, and Blue Jackets game finally...

Which bring me to baseball. 07 I watched EVERY inning of the playoffs, my lady at the time hated it, because as I've come to realize, baseball is REALLY boring..

We went to an Aeros game in 2012 for AT, about halfway through the first half of the first inning I remembered how much I dislike watching baseball.. It's a sport IMO that's made for radio...

And Soccer has always been a World Cup thing for me, but going to Akron U I'm apparently supposed to care more about other soccer events than I do. I will say that going to college matches is waaay more fun than watching them on TV, it's an atmosphere thing...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

that first goal was like a hockey snipe. Tucked it right under the crossbar, out of mid air too, that kid can play!

Amazing shot.. that ball was touched by 5 different people without touching the ground...

I think soccer is a lot like golf, if you've never played it then its hard to appreciate exactly how hard it is to do some of the more subtle things these guys are doing.

I've already watched more of the world cup than I watched of the NBA finals and the NHL finals combined. I've watched entire games that have no bearing on the US at all...

I watched the US vs Germany game at a pool side bar in Myrtle Beach with dozens of guys who had no idea what was going on but watched anyway.. it was fun explaining to them what was going on, why it was ok that we were losing by 1, etc...

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
It's crazy to think how popular soccer has become in the U.S. in the past 8 years. Especially among the real young kids (13 and younger), for example I read a report a few months ago that said that the English Premier League is more popular than MLB. It's going to be real exciting to see soccer in the next 10-20 years as the kids become more and more serious about it and the U.S. goes to being the real deal.

Legend
Legend
I said 10 years ago that what the US has been lacking in getting to the next level in soccer is coaching.. not at the highest levels, the big colleges and the national teams have excellent coaching but a lot of the kids are being coached by dads who never played soccer before, my high school soccer coach had never played in his life but he took the job... what we are seeing now is this transition to where high school coaches were good players, even small colleges have qualified coaches, there is coach training for youth leagues.... as the next generation grows up with 12-15 years of good coaching before they get to the higher levels, that is when soccer is going to go to the next level and we are starting to see it now.

the number of good athletic kids playing soccer has been rapidly growing for 20-30 years but now the coaching is starting to catch up.

yebat' Putin
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I think the 3 greatest events in sports are the NCAA Tournament, World Cup, and NBA Playoffs...

The Super Bowl and NFL playoffs are also really good...but without the Browns ever being in them...I think that they've lacked the punch that they deserve.
The NHL playoffs lack their punch because I don't get the NBCSports network which ruins them...

But...The three that I marked as the best...are that because even if my team aren't in it, I still watch as much as possible.

As for this world cup...I think its been the most interesting in a long time. Lots of great stories. The USA team escaping the group of death. Costa Rican surprise. Algeria escaping group play for the first time ever. Suarez and the bite. England continuing to be no shows in the world cup for the 2nd straight event. Messi finally living up to his billing as the best in the world. Belgium and Brazil not living up to the hype. Mexico having their hearts torn out. Several comeback victories in group stage. 3 of the first four knockout stage games being decided after the 90th minute, including 2 games going to penalties.

Its been an incredible world cup so far.
As for Soccer...I find club soccer to be unwatchable. Champions League, Premier League, MLS, La Liga...cant do it. But give me an international game of any kind and Im glued to the set. A friendly, EuroCup, World Cup, CONCACAF, Gold Cup, African Cup, Olympics...all of it. Any of it...im in. and the world cup is the greatest.

Gonna be a tough test on Tuesday as they play Belgium, but theyre down a sub, and aren't used to the big stage.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I think soccer is a lot like golf, if you've never played it then its hard to appreciate exactly how hard it is to do some of the more subtle things these guys are doing.

I've been following it for around 10 years. '02 World Cup kinda got me into it.

People who are newer into watching all ask the same questions... Why does the clock not stop ever? Why is a PK so heavily favored towards the shooter? Why cant you use your hands?

Obviously the last one is self explanatory. For the longest time I thought the PK was stupid, because it's been scientifically proven that a goalie cannot wait to react to the kick to stop the shot. He has to cheat to one side.

While that may be true. The game iso dependent on good players being able to display their skills, that you have to punish someone severely for commiting a foul inside that box. If the PK was made more even somehow, you'd have guys committing more fouls and the game would get ugly. It took me a while to fully understand that.

As far as the clock goes. It keeps everything on schedule. It's the anti NFL game.

I was against PK's deciding big games like the World Cup or a Champions League final, etc... but I just don't think you can take the NHL route and just have them keep going, especially without the ability to sub players more than 3 times, and usually by regulation, all 3 substitution moves have been exhausted...

I do wish the World Cup extra time goals were golden goal/sudden death, but that's not the end of the world.

The one thing I have never been able to get behind is the 11v10 thing. Today's game with Greece and Costa Rica for example. I think it's ridiculous that the entire game was changed, and slanted toward Greece, simply because Costa Rica's guy got 2 yellow cards. I think that's a little extreme. They have to change their entire strategy in a win-or-go-home situation. There is just something about it that doesn't seem right.

I have come to really enjoy the sport though. Sure, it has its negative points. The diving, the crying, a few rules that aren't exactly fair, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I'd rather watch soccer than baseball. I don't really care about MLB anymore outside of the Tribe, and even they have taken a backseat during the WC. The games have been really exciting this time around.

And really, I can point out negative stuff about all the other sports..

Football games drag out 3 and a half almost four hours, half of which seem like commercials.... If you don't have a QB, you're pretty much done. There is a giant gray area with rules. On top of there being a ton of rules which I can see driving away people who didn't grow up around the game like all of us...

Baseball is slow moving, a lot of guys either standing and sitting around. It's way too easy to fall out of relevance, and fall out early. The people running the league still think it's 1925.

Hockey's season is way too long. You can argue that the playoffs, while fun, is a battle of attrition more than anything else. The game can be hard to follow on tv. The rules can be a little bit complicated.

Basketball has the same diving/flopping problem as soccer, although not nearly as severe. The game is star driven, which limits who really has a shot to win. The rules, like football, also have a gray area that is always the subject of controversy.

If you wanted to, you could dig up negatives on every sport.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
There has also been increased attention played to soccer. Even though we aren't the top league in the world in Soccer...the MLS has some visibility, and having big names like Beckham, and Thierry Henry, and Freddie Adu...even off the top of their game...we have guys who bring eyes to the sport. The visibility and star power of guys like Messi, Ronaldo, Dempsey, Donovan, Ronaldinho (a few years back), Neymar, David Villa (a few years back), Muller, Van Persie, Klose (although some of them are only visible during the world cup) have popularized the sport with their celebrity.

Also...the concerns of football, and the push for healthy kids, have driven people to the sport of soccer.

It has to start somehow
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
the 11 v 10 thing is kinda the same as the PK. It would create more fouling...you have to play carefully if you get a yellow.

I go back and forth on the if you get a yellow in game 1 and game 2 you miss game 3...That's wild to me...but, you have to play the game cleanly.

Could you imagine what the NFL game would be like if you got 2 holding penalties in a game and you have to leave? and miss the next game? Or if in the NBA on your 2nd foul you fouled out? The games would clean up so much...but those aren't practical in those sports.

In soccer they have fouls that aren't cards...cards are reserved for plays that directly skirt the rules...so if you don't do things correctly, you get booked and on a 2nd booking you get removed. Its kinda special in my opinion.

It has to start somehow
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think the 3 greatest events in sports are the NCAA Tournament, World Cup, and NBA Playoffs...

The Super Bowl and NFL playoffs are also really good...but without the Browns ever being in them...I think that they've lacked the punch that they deserve.
The NHL playoffs lack their punch because I don't get the NBCSports network which ruins them...

But...The three that I marked as the best...are that because even if my team aren't in it, I still watch as much as possible.

I would agree with that even though i don't really get into the NBA playoffs all that much.. the only one I might add to your good list is college bowl season because (up to now) only one game really mattered but it was still fun to watch a lot of the games.. (I might also add the Masters and the US Open if there is a decent mix of players in the running on the weekend)..

I also agree that the thing keeping the NFL playoffs off the list is that I'm so emotionally invested in the Browns and they are never in it

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Could you imagine an NFL game if you had to play with 10 guys on defense because Buster Skrine got 2 PI calls?

It just seems a little severe. I could see if a guy did something dirty and got the red, but 2 yellows, it just doesn't seem fair.

On the flip side, if you only had to send the guy off, but could replace him. Teams might be doing that on purpose to make de facto substitutions after using their 3 already.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with that even though i don't really get into the NBA playoffs all that much.. the only one I might add to your good list is college bowl season because (up to now) only one game really mattered but it was still fun to watch a lot of the games.. (I might also add the Masters and the US Open if there is a decent mix of players in the running on the weekend)..

I also agree that the thing keeping the NFL playoffs off the list is that I'm so emotionally invested in the Browns and they are never in it

I really believe that this college football +1 could be just as cool as all of these. We're finally getting a final four.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Those are both good...but Ive missed all of the majors the past 2 years...and my life hasn't missed anything because of it...

The one knock I have on Bowl Games...is that there are a lot of useless bowls.
I do watch the BCS bowls...

I still want to see a 16 team NCAA playoffs for college football. With 12 leagues, you let the champs play, and 4 at large bids...and a 4 week playoffs would be excellent. It wouldn't disrupt the school schedule as the playoffs would be run during winter break.
It would allow the regular season to retain its meaning, allow for teams that had terrific seasons, but slip up in the conf championships...and allow for the teams to decide the champion as opposed to computers, votes, etc...
Id watch every second of that.

It has to start somehow
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Could you imagine an NFL game if you had to play with 10 guys on defense because Buster Skrine got 2 PI calls?

I've seen several NFL games where we had to play with 10 guys on offense, because we had Brandon Weeden as the QB.

S
Legend
Legend
S
One other thing I wanted to get in, was that I can see soccer growing even more as they years go on.

USA soccer really had some momentum going into this world cup. It was like a continuation of 2010 with more steam.

But I really think there are going to be some parents who have taken note of what football is doing to people as they move through their life, and may start putting their kids into soccer instead. I'm not saying soccer is replacing football, but I think the numbers are going to change over the next 10 years. Football will still be the boss, but I think the margin will not be as big. Especially as these football players keep donating their brains for research and we're finding out just how horrible it is for them.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
yep...

I feel like Soccer actually has the most logical set of rules. They don't often change either...
NBA rules have gotten to a point where they clog up the quality. Baseball rules and unwritten rules make it darn near unwatchable...NFL rules are pretty convoluted and don't make sense unless you know the game...and even then, theyre stupid.

Soccer...I pretty much understand everything despite not playing it. It makes sense. out of bounds...throw in. No hands, don't trip guys, don't challenge people in ways that can be dangerous...

The only thing I don't like is the amount of diving in the sport...but it so often works, and draws attention to a play where as fighting through and acting as though the foul didn't happen wouldn't draw the free kick...I understand why its done. Short breather, draws attention to the call, nets a free kick.

It has to start somehow
Legend
Legend
Quote:

But I really think there are going to be some parents who have taken note of what football is doing to people as they move through their life, and may start putting their kids into soccer instead.

Decades ago, soccer was considered the sport for kids who weren't big enough or athletic enough play football or basketball and that's just not the case any more... We have enough first class athletes starting in soccer that it will never be an issue again..

Quote:

I'm not saying soccer is replacing football, but I think the numbers are going to change over the next 10 years. Football will still be the boss, but I think the margin will not be as big.

Soccer has a long way to go to pass football primarily because it's so entrenched as an entertaining sport to watch and for the money, they will always be able to find great athletes to play.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
yeah, and there's always going to be parts of this country where football is what you do. Texas, Ohio, SEC country, etc..

I don't think it will die like some do, but I do believe the numbers will fall a bit as more kids do other stuff. I just think soccer is one of those options.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Could you imagine what the NFL game would be like if you got 2 holding penalties in a game and you have to leave? and miss the next game?

The thought of this is enough to send Oniel Cousins into fits of panic.

On another note, this has been a fantastic World Cup and can't wait to watch the US play tuesday. Like someone else previously mentioned, Costa Rica has been a great story.

Legend
Legend
Oh I agree, soccer is really the only option.... None of the sports are going to die in order for soccer to rise...

Soccer has the advantage of being more available to everybody.. if you don't want to risk the physical beating you get in football and if you aren't going to be 6'5" to play basketball but are a good athlete, you can still play soccer at a high level...

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
It's been a crazy tournament. Through the 4 games in this second round, everyone has looked human, with the exception of Columbia. Those guys look scary good. They're fast, and they're skilled, and it really seems like they have it all together.

Legend
Legend
I agree, Columbia looks like the most complete team but I haven't seem much of France yet...

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

but going to Akron U I'm apparently supposed to care more about other soccer events than I do.

USMNT member DeAndre Yedlin also went to Akron.

cfrs15 #887779 06/30/14 12:13 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

but going to Akron U I'm apparently supposed to care more about other soccer events than I do.

USMNT member DeAndre Yedlin also went to Akron.

The only reason I knew that was because the announcer said it when he came in.

Akron won a title the year before I started going there. And still spent two million dollars on a new football field. When the soccer team basically plays on a high school field.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
that mexico-netherlands game was crazy good. germany plays at 3 today against algeria. i have to route for them cause my wife is german.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum World Cup Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard