Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

However, generic birth control pills cost between $15-$20/month, and some can be had for a 3 month prescription for as low as $25. Planned Parenthood typically either sells them for less, or even gives them away. .

Planned Parenthood is facing horrible deficits due to abortion laws destroying their funding. It's truly a shame for people to have their life dictated by some congressman who doesn't understand the issue.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Why not just make it an option that the insured can opt in for at an extra cost. While maintaining the same primary cost to the company.

(Of course the overall costs will be spread out so everyone is actually paying a little bit for everything for everyone, but in technical terms to the company, they are not paying)

Just like if I want dental insurance, I get pay extra, if I want vision insurance I pay extra, if I want accident insurance I pay extra. It's all available to me through our company plan, but they are not part of the primary product, they are add-ons paid for by me.

My point was more that it should be an option or required in all health insurance policies as one of the minimum requirements for health care. Under your scenario it would be an option. I really don't see a problem with that.

And one thing I've heard, but haven't seen, is that such programs cost more. If I were a health insurance company, I believe it would be far cheaper to provide birth control coverage. With the cost of pregnancies and child birth, I believe it would most certainly be cheaper to provide the birth control and keep pregnancies lower.

The real question from what I've seen, is that religious businesses, not just Churches, wish to refuse this coverage on religious moral grounds. Places such as Hobby Lobby. The wages here would be low enough to make it hard for employees to be able to afford it and it just seems this is helping to inflict the religious views of the employer upon the employees.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
How exactly is is trolling to say that a book full of fantastical impossibilities is a book of fairy tales?

P
Legend
Legend
P
While it's an opinion that I do not agree with, there are people that do hold such an opinion. I don't see anything wrong with you stating your opinion and I wouldn't want people to object to me stating mine.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Laws should not trample on the right to religious freedom either.

A person with a moral objection to something like this should not be forced into participating, any more than a doctor with a moral objection to abortion should be forced to perform one.

How is public companies offering contraception coverage is trampling the rights of religious freedom?

You're not being forced to take contraceptives. It's just there for those who want it.

This is similar to the gay marriage debate. The religious aren't being affected, but the religious want to cry because they're not being included in the big picture decision making, and they shouldn't. They should be free to their beliefs, but their beliefs shouldn't be considered when forming laws.

Frankly, I don't see it as a really important benefit to offer people. The cost for someone to purchase birth control without insurance is not much higher, if at all higher, then without. (for generics ,,,,, which is what insurance is going to cover anyway)

Public companies have shareholders, who ought be able to set their own policies, based on the best interests of their company.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Everyone's entitled to their opinions and beliefs.

And I don't go knocking on people's door spreading mine, but when you expect that kind of stuff to be taken seriously in terms of law and policy, expect to have someone point out how ridiculous it is.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While we disagree about the belief of God, we do agree that government policy and religious beliefs should be separate from each other. I don't believe in attempting to force my belief system upon others.

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
If I'm paying for health coverage, I would expect it to be covered.

That's akin to saying that a cheaper antibiotic prescription isn't that expensive, so screw it, why should insurance pay for it?

The answer is because I pay for medical insurance, why shouldn't it?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

How exactly is is trolling to say that a book full of fantastical impossibilities is a book of fairy tales?

Are we talking about 'The Bible' (and its analogs), or things like 'A Brief History of Time', and 'On the Origin of Species'?

On more than a few levels, I'm sure they all qualify quite easily for your description.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Are we talking about 'The Bible' (and its analogs), or things like 'A Brief History of Time', and 'On the Origin of Species'?

On more than a few levels, I'm sure they all qualify quite easily for your description.

I wouldn't base law or policy on any of those texts.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

We've had this same song and dance in Arizona with those who identify as LGBT being denied business. Even Brewer, a governor with head scratching decisions; she realized this path leads nothing to intolerance, hate, and trampling on the rights of all Americans.

If a religion believed a race was evil, unworthy of their service, and such things then, by your definition, it would be illegal to serve them. The courts already ruled segregation was unconstitutional...

There is no discrimination taking place here though. No protected class is being deprived of their rights.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

You can kinda opt out coverages for car insurance but you still have to have the state minimum coverage that is mandated by each states.

New Hampshire, for one, does not require any auto insurance at all.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

And neither can women without men. Has artificial sperm been created?

Your argument is ridiculous! Thank God folks like you don't get to decide these things. You'd have us mimicking the Soviet Union under Stalin's murderous reign.

I suggest that you find out what you're paying for with your insurance. You don't like your 'bible-thumping boss'? You're free to quit your job and not work for your employer and find one that thumps whatever book you want them to thump.

Personally, I find people that want this and expect everyone to submit to your whims offensive. Can we ban you?

that went south real quick....thats how you debate?

What? That women can't get pregnant without a man?

Everything after that was a confrontation with your basic ideology. I tied it in with the 'being offended' society that we live in. So, I'm offended by your ideology (and those that share your ideology). Since I am, you must change your thinking. Isn't that how it works?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Jc

As a woman, I don't have a problem with this. I don't see why birth control should be treated any differently than any other prescribed Med. Also I don't feel it's an employers job to keep employees from getting pregnant.

No Craps Given
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

You'd have us mimicking the Soviet Union under Stalin's murderous reign.

Hyperbole, much?

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black? Besides, aren't you literally Stalin's off-spring, 2 generations removed?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Jc

As a woman, I don't have a problem with this. I don't see why birth control should be treated any differently than any other prescribed Med. Also I don't feel it's an employers job to keep employees from getting pregnant.

The question would be then, I would take it, that my employer should be required to supply me with condoms (as many as I need - maybe my second job could be as a gigolo ) and they would be obliged. Otherwise, as I see it, this is a clear violation of the 'equal protection' clause of the 14th Amendment.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Your employer shouldn't be required to give you anything except a paycheck which you can use to go buy some condoms.

No Craps Given
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Your employer shouldn't be required to give you anything except a paycheck which you can use to go buy some condoms.

I have to say that I disagree. My employer shouldn't even be required to give me a job, much less a paycheck - but I think I know what you meant. As long as he employs me, it should be all that he's required to give me.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't base law or policy on any of those texts.

But at least the latter two have factual evidence to back them up. That would be a step in the right direction toward informative governance.

There are no sacred cows.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I'm in the fence about it. I see both sides of the issue.

100% exactly my thoughts. Too hard to say a for sure yes/no, yay/nay - tough one... glad I didn't have to make the decision. I see the pros and cons and there isn't a "big factor" to sway my thought pattern. So with that said... yeah lol

Legend
Legend
Privately held companies should be allowed to provide bennies as they see fit, or none at all if they so choose, just like the workers can change employers as they see fit.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I agree with the birth control mandate but not for the reason you mention. If you take that logic to its end, you would have everyone paying ala carte for their services. I could say I dont need to help pay for STD testing because I don't sleep around or I don't need to help pay for ultrasound testing because I'm not a woman.

Most agree that medical care is outright expensive, and for most of the country, if they got the bad dice roll and got something like diabetes or cancer, then simply put they will need more care than someone who is healthy. And I have no problem with throwing in my 2 cents for subsidized health care so that if I'm 50 and get something terrible, I'm not stuck to just die from it.

I don't agree with subsidizing birth control because it's readily available and a commodity, but that's a general failure of the ACA bill to me, not a religious issue.

Once again, I can assure you I don't need maternity care of any kind. Why should I pay for that? Maternity care is quite expensive, as are births. If I decide not to have that in my plan, I guess I have to pay out of pocket. If a person decides to save all the money on kids at an early age, and has themselves sterilized, or if they are born sterile, why should they pay? If I can package a plan tailored to me, both by knowing my family history and from my own past medical history, why should I not be able to save as much money as I can. As I said before, a general wellness plan, and a catastrophic plan, should be what most people need. If I can buy that on the free market, it should be rather cheap.

The big problem with ala carte is how you get enough money in the system to cover the "whales." Cancer is one of the biggest ones and it doesn't take long before cancer care costs 25k to 150k in initial costs alone, not to mention the thousands a year in continuation coverage. If people don't opt in to the high end treatments due to cost then the overall cost gets much higher and then the only people who can even pay for cancer treatment are the very wealthy. The way insurance works is through subsidization. Ala carte is more expensive than all inclusive, period.

If your grand plan is to say "if you didn't tick a box for that life threatening treatment, you gotta die" then I don't know what to say except it's a good thing you aren't the person in charge of this

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I know steady jobs are harder and harder to come by, but if your employer makes their health care plan decisions based on a book of fairy tales, maybe it's not the right place for you.

I like you Phil, I really do, I have learned from you.

That said, if some single cell organism was discovered on Mars, you would be one of the first to proclaim life on Mars.

Sorry my man, if that is considered life, then a beating heart baby is also considered life.

Science defines life across the universe, then tosses it aside when it comes to human life.

Why is that??

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Look at how we talk to each other on the board..

There's your answer.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Quote:

I know steady jobs are harder and harder to come by, but if your employer makes their health care plan decisions based on a book of fairy tales, maybe it's not the right place for you.

I like you Phil, I really do, I have learned from you.

That said, if some single cell organism was discovered on Mars, you would be one of the first to proclaim life on Mars.

Sorry my man, if that is considered life, then a beating heart baby is also considered life.

Science defines life across the universe, then tosses it aside when it comes to human life.

Why is that??

1.) "Science" has nothing to do with it. Science is a philosophical idea based around probing the unknown with the end goal of coming up with concrete answers. Abortion is a moral or ethical issue, and therefore not something that can be definitively answered by the scientific method.

2.) No one who holds the belief that abortion is legal and right would say that an embryo isn't life, or that a fetus with a beating heart isn't alive. They would probably say that developing organism can't feel pain, isn't self aware or conscious of its surrounds so abortion isn't murder and is not something in the same vein as killing a walking talking human like me or you. Let me ask you this. How many pregnancies go undetected because the embryo doesn't implant in the uterus properly and normal menstruation occurs? Somewhere between 30-70% depending on the study you look at. If you consider other data that includes early development miscarries and later still births, you're looking at numbers closer to 50-70% of all eggs that are fertilized that end up being terminating through because they couldn't hack it biologically. In 2013, roughly 4 million babies were born. Using these numbers, that means another 4-6 million were actually conceived, but never made it to term. If nature is willing to provide that horrible a rate of pregnancy, and that little regard for human life, I have little issue with a handful of women (relatively speaking) choosing to terminate their own pregnancies based on their choice.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

No one who holds the belief that abortion is legal and right would say that an embryo isn't life, or that a fetus with a beating heart isn't alive. They would probably say that developing organism can't feel pain, isn't self aware or conscious of its surrounds so abortion isn't murder and is not something in the same vein as killing a walking talking human like me or you.

So by that logic, they must also argue that killing a temporarily paralyzed and comatose child wouldn't be murder.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Doesn't Ohio go by heart beat for abortions?

That's perfectly fine wight me if that's the standard to go by.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Quote:

No one who holds the belief that abortion is legal and right would say that an embryo isn't life, or that a fetus with a beating heart isn't alive. They would probably say that developing organism can't feel pain, isn't self aware or conscious of its surrounds so abortion isn't murder and is not something in the same vein as killing a walking talking human like me or you.

So by that logic, they must also argue that killing a temporarily paralyzed and comatose child wouldn't be murder.

Look, I'm not saying it's a water-tight, be-all-end-all description of the thought process behind those that are pro-choice. Again, this is a moral and ethical issue and I think you hit on a decent question. I could hook them up to an EEG and show their brain processing said stimulatory input as pain, I could also show by those same read outs what their brain is doing at that time. And, I should point out, that it is ok in some circumstances to pull the plug on someone that is comatose. That's not murder legally speaking, yet it's an example where it's ok to take for one person to take someone else's life without ramification.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I definitely disagree with this decision. Birth control should be included for women. This ruling basically says it's ok for companies to have first amendment rights but not their employees.

This is why I have a very strong hatred toward issues like this. We wanna be about stopping abortions, but not using preventive measures in the first place. That's one thing imma miss about the military: my wife gets birth control for free through out greatly are. As it should be.

How does it take away from an employee's first amendment rights? I'm just trying to follow your train of thought.

Simple. By voting for an owner to have first amendment rights, you just took the employees away.

Let's be real here, if these were Islamist religions people would be lining the streets in mass riots here in America. We are NOT a Christian nation. It's making me sick to my stomach, as a Christian, all these politicians making policies based off religion when there a tons of Americans who don't believe.

So yes, this ruling affects non-believers to such an extent that they have to now abide by a non Christian establishment just because the owner is one. It's ass backwards. They just gave rights to one group and took away another's.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I definitely disagree with this decision. Birth control should be included for women. This ruling basically says it's ok for companies to have first amendment rights but not their employees.

This is why I have a very strong hatred toward issues like this. We wanna be about stopping abortions, but not using preventive measures in the first place. That's one thing imma miss about the military: my wife gets birth control for free through out greatly are. As it should be.

LMFAO I could be wrong but didn't you stand up for places of employment who could fire people because they were smokers? or refuse to hire them them if they smoked?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Oh ye of little.... make that no faith. I love you bro.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Simple. By voting for an owner to have first amendment rights, you just took the employees away.

You don't have to work for a religious person. I interview a company as much as they interview me when I'm job hunting. If I don't like the company, I don't accept the job. If I accept the job, I also accept the views of my employer. If my employer is a hard core liberal, I would have be sure it was a good job before working there.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

but thats just it. the ACA is a work in progress. NOTHING comes out the gate working perfectly when it comes to big programs, it takes years to make it work. i'm sure we will be able to select the type of coverage we need one day.

That's why welfare works so much better than it used to? or subsidized housing? or social security? or the governments ability to acquire your private information? or the governments ability to control immigration?... sorry, things the government gets involved with generally do not get better over time, they just get bigger, less efficient, more controlling, and more and more expensive.

As far as the ruling, I think it's the correct decision but I understand why some don't. I just saw the women with the stupid signs about keeping the court or the corporation out of their bedroom.. what does that even mean as it relates to this? Do whatever the hell you want in your bedroom with whomever the hell you want, just don't expect your company to subsidize it. Birth control (most of the time) is not a medical necessity any more than erection pills or botox (most of the time)... it's a choice and isn't that what they want? the freedom to choose? Well if you CHOOSE to have sex, then you can CHOOSE to do it safely

It's not like Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-A or most of the companies that have come under fire are covert about their beliefs... if you don't like their beliefs, go work somewhere else because you knew the day you took the job what their beliefs are...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You don't have to work for a religious person. I interview a company as much as they interview me when I'm job hunting. If I don't like the company, I don't accept the job. If I accept the job, I also accept the views of my employer. If my employer is a hard core liberal, I would have be sure it was a good job before working there.

Except you don't. First off, I live in Oklahoma now, and I go to hobby lobby regularly. Hell, just went yesterday to get my daughter supplies. The lady I see there regularly didn't even KNOW dude was a hardcore religious guy. Because there are a lot of Christian owners not pulling this crap that he hobby lobby owner is.

And don't have to work for? Stop, cause you'll be the same guy in a different thread saying how the economy sucks and there are no jobs.

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Except you don't. First off, I live in Oklahoma now, and I go to hobby lobby regularly. Hell, just went yesterday to get my daughter supplies. The lady I see there regularly didn't even KNOW dude was a hardcore religious guy. Because there are a lot of Christian owners not pulling this crap that he hobby lobby owner is.

And don't have to work for? Stop, cause you'll be the same guy in a different thread saying how the economy sucks and there are no jobs.

I'll give you an example.

My younger brother's ex-wife used to work for a company that was overtly religious. As a condition of employment, she had to sign a morality clause that stated that she would not do anything that was immoral (drugs, adultery, etc.) She had an affair with one of her co-workers (her boss) and she was fired.

She knew, going into and accepting the job, what the conditions of employment were and she violated them.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Time to wave the BS flag. Unless you live under a rock, or just got here from Mexico, if you live in Oklahoma you know how religious Hobby Lobby is. They are one of the few retail chains that still close on Sundays.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
But I don't. See, I'm military here at ft sill. I, from Ohio and was stationed in Germany the last 5 years. So I DONT know how religious hobby lobby is. The women that work there? A lot of them are military spouses. So put your BS flag away and save it for another thread. I'm not a Oklahoma native.

Last edited by Swish; 07/01/14 07:35 AM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'll give you an example.

My younger brother's ex-wife used to work for a company that was overtly religious. As a condition of employment, she had to sign a morality clause that stated that she would not do anything that was immoral (drugs, adultery, etc.) She had an affair with one of her co-workers (her boss) and she was fired.

She knew, going into and accepting the job, what the conditions of employment were and she violated them.

That's fine Anarch. Except that isn't the same situation.

Hobby lobby has already been providing other forms of birth control, right? Now they decided they didn't want to provide specific form of birth control. Nobody at hobby lobby signed a clauses stating that before the suit like your example.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How does it take away from an employee's first amendment rights? I'm just trying to follow your train of thought.

Let's be real here, if these were Islamist religions people would be lining the streets in mass riots here in America. We are NOT a Christian nation. It's making me sick to my stomach, as a Christian, all these politicians making policies based off religion when there a tons of Americans who don't believe.

So yes, this ruling affects non-believers to such an extent that they have to now abide by a non Christian establishment just because the owner is one. It's ass backwards. They just gave rights to one group and took away another's.

I disagree with that logic, but perhaps we're having two different conversations. The First Amendment doesn't and never has applied in an employer to employee relationship. This ruling is basically saying the government "can't tread" on a private company's freedom of religion. However, outside of blatant discrimination (e.g. "No Muslims may work here"), companies may make rules and policies that are inconvenient to one's religion.

Switching gears to a comparison, the government "can't tread" on a private company's freedom of speech, but I sure as hell haven't worked for any private company where I was free to say what I wanted without repercussions.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
The "Our Company" section of their website, and most likely in the employee handbook. Most people don't read those handbooks, but then that is their own fault for not knowing things then, and/or not looking at the compny you're going to work for.

At Hobby Lobby, we value our customers and employees and are committed to:
Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles.
Offering our customers exceptional selection and value in the crafts and home decor market.
Serving our employees and their families by establishing a work environment and company policies that build character, strengthen individuals and nurture families.
Providing a return on the owner's investment, sharing the Lord's blessings with our employees, and investing in our community.
store front imageWe believe that it is by God's grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured. He has been faithful in the past, and we trust Him for our future.

Hobby Lobby is THE place to shop with everyday Super Selections and Super Savings! Store hours are Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and all Hobby Lobby stores are closed on Sunday.

Our other affiliated companies headquartered in Oklahoma City include Mardel and Hemispheres.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Supreme Court Rules Against Obamacare on Birth Control

Link Copied to Clipboard