Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The "Our Company" section of their website, and most likely in the employee handbook. Most people don't read those handbooks, but then that is their own fault for not knowing things then, and/or not looking at the compny you're going to work for.

At Hobby Lobby, we value our customers and employees and are committed to:
Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles.
Offering our customers exceptional selection and value in the crafts and home decor market.
Serving our employees and their families by establishing a work environment and company policies that build character, strengthen individuals and nurture families.
Providing a return on the owner's investment, sharing the Lord's blessings with our employees, and investing in our community.
store front imageWe believe that it is by God's grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured. He has been faithful in the past, and we trust Him for our future.

Hobby Lobby is THE place to shop with everyday Super Selections and Super Savings! Store hours are Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and all Hobby Lobby stores are closed on Sunday.

Our other affiliated companies headquartered in Oklahoma City include Mardel and Hemispheres.

And that's cool. So I concede to your point. I'm simply telling Tulsa that a lot of people here in Lawton aren't from Oklahoma, so nobody cares or pays attention to what hey do, they just want a job.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I definitely disagree with this decision. Birth control should be included for women. This ruling basically says it's ok for companies to have first amendment rights but not their employees.

This is why I have a very strong hatred toward issues like this. We wanna be about stopping abortions, but not using preventive measures in the first place. That's one thing imma miss about the military: my wife gets birth control for free through out greatly are. As it should be.

How does it take away from an employee's first amendment rights? I'm just trying to follow your train of thought.

Simple. By voting for an owner to have first amendment rights, you just took the employees away.

Let's be real here, if these were Islamist religions people would be lining the streets in mass riots here in America. We are NOT a Christian nation. It's making me sick to my stomach, as a Christian, all these politicians making policies based off religion when there a tons of Americans who don't believe.

So yes, this ruling affects non-believers to such an extent that they have to now abide by a non Christian establishment just because the owner is one. It's ass backwards. They just gave rights to one group and took away another's.

I disagree with that logic, but perhaps we're having two different conversations. The First Amendment doesn't and never has applied in an employer to employee relationship. This ruling is basically saying the government "can't tread" on a private company's freedom of religion. However, outside of blatant discrimination (e.g. "No Muslims may work here"), companies may make rules and policies that are inconvenient to one's religion.

Switching gears to a comparison, the government "can't tread" on a private company's freedom of speech, but I sure as hell haven't worked for any private company where I was free to say what I wanted without repercussions.

I'm just simply saying that's where I stand on this issue. I believe all forms of birth control should be provided under the ACA. I feel that by doing that, we can start to cut some federal benefits people receive because there is no excuse to get pregnant if it wasn't planned. I understand stuff happens, I just feel that providing birth control to women will save tax payers money overall.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Sorry, I just do not believe your story about the person working there and not knowing this companies views. It's BS and the flag is still waving.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

But I don't. See, I'm military here at ft sill. I, from Ohio and was stationed in Germany the last 5 years. So I DONT know how religious hobby lobby is. The women that work there? A lot of them are military spouses. So put your BS flag away and save it for another thread. I'm not a Oklahoma native.

From their website:

At Hobby Lobby, we value our customers and employees and are committed to: •Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles.
•Offering our customers exceptional selection and value in the crafts and home decor market.
•Serving our employees and their families by establishing a work environment and company policies that build character, strengthen individuals and nurture families.
•Providing a return on the owner's investment, sharing the Lord's blessings with our employees, and investing in our community.

We believe that it is by God's grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured. He has been faithful in the past, and we trust Him for our future.

Hobby Lobby is THE place to shop with everyday Super Selections and Super Savings! Store hours are Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and all Hobby Lobby stores are closed on Sunday.

Our other affiliated companies headquartered in Oklahoma City include Mardel and Hemispheres.

It's not like they're hiding it. That would be like a muslim going to work for a pork producer, then complaining about the pigs.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sorry, I just do not believe your story about the person working there and not knowing this companies views. It's BS and the flag is still waving.

Then don't believe it. Doesn't matter either way.

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Too long to post, but:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/20...ious-objection/

Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection

So it may be reasonable that people don't know where Hobby Lobby stands on the issue, as most people who don't believe in contraceptives don't invest in it.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Too long to post, but:

Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection

So it may be reasonable that people don't know where Hobby Lobby stands on the issue, as most people who don't believe in contraceptives don't invest in it.

[ Insert eating popcorn gif ]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Too long to post, but:

Let the free market reign!!!!!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Too long to post, but:

[ Insert eating popcorn gif ]

That's what I was thinking. Who's gonna be the first one to bite on this...

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm just simply saying that's where I stand on this issue. I believe all forms of birth control should be provided under the ACA. I feel that by doing that, we can start to cut some federal benefits people receive because there is no excuse to get pregnant if it wasn't planned. I understand stuff happens, I just feel that providing birth control to women will save tax payers money overall.

People that don't care enough to get/use any form of birth control to begin with will not get/use birth control even if the government provides it. The problem is abject laziness, not lack of access. A box of condoms is still the cheapest option, and people still don't use them.

Speaking of this, does anyone want to start up a lawsuit? The government is providing female contraception, but not male contraception. This is a discriminatory practice.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
JC

I just want to post a part Justice Ginsburg's dissent about the future that this decision could lead to.
"Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I just want to post a part Justice Ginsburg's dissent about the future that this decision could lead to.
"Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."

I would suggest you don't work for a company that won't provide you the insurance/medical care you would like. I actually worked for a small company that didn't provide maternity care. Before I took the job, I told the company owner that my wife was pregnant. As he made the agreement to hire me, and he was false in his belief that he provided maternity care, he secured that care for me and my wife. If he would have correctly informed me that he was saving money by not having maternity on his insurance (of which he paid 100%), I wouldn't have taken the job. You must interview your company as much as they interview you. Do you take a job without knowing what your benefits package contains? If you do, you're a fool.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
So unemployed people should just turn down work because of medical insurance? Good to know.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So unemployed people should just turn down work because of medical insurance? Good to know.

Would you go work for a hard core conservative and all your fellow future coworkers are hard core conservatives? A place where they only work on conservative driven projects, and they hold a daily morning prayer in the atrium of the building?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Why wouldn't I?

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Would you go work for a hard core conservative and all your fellow future coworkers are hard core conservatives? A place where they only work on conservative driven projects, and they hold a daily morning prayer in the atrium of the building?

I would shovel cow crap to feed my family even though I have a MBA.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Why wouldn't I?

Would you go to work for a company that didn't offer parts of a health insurance plan that you wanted? Let's say it's a small company, like the one I worked for, that didn't offer certain health care options (you can pick), as they are paying 100% of your insurance?

In my defense, when I went to work for that company, I did tell the owner that my wife was pregnant. He should have told me right then that he didn't offer maternity. That was his screw up, not mine. I disclosed to him in the interview that I would need at least a week off for the birth.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Why wouldn't I?

Would you go to work for a company that didn't offer parts of a health insurance plan that you wanted? Let's say it's a small company, like the one I worked for, that didn't offer certain health care options (you can pick), as they are paying 100% of your insurance?

In my defense, when I went to work for that company, I did tell the owner that my wife was pregnant. He should have told me right then that he didn't offer maternity. That was his screw up, not mine. I disclosed to him in the interview that I would need at least a week off for the birth.

Why wouldn't I?

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
how long ago was this?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why wouldn't I?

Why wouldn't I?

Then why are you against companies who's standards are already set, and have been set for a long time. They were forced to change with the implementation of obummercare.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
They weren't forced to change. They changed because they wanted to. No one in the government put a gun to their head and made them pay for healthcare and other services.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
it seems to me someone doesn't understand what the word mandate means.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

Hobby Lobby gleefully covers vasectomies...

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
It seems that someone doesn't understand what choice means or maternity leave -- for that matter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I understand that completely. Choice is what the government took away from religious employers, to make them provide services that conflict with their religious beliefs. Maternity leave is the time an employee can take after the birth of a baby, as designated by the company and employee works for and agreed to by the employee.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
They didn't force anyone who didn't want to. Maternity leave is what you said with an exception, it's strictly for the mother. Hence the name "Maternity".

All Pro
All Pro
Let's face facts, liberals could care less about Christian values and Hillary will jump all over this claiming Republicans are anti woman's rights.

GO BROWNS!
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
What Christian values are being destroyed by Liberals? Just wondering.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

According to a health website I just looked at, in using the pill, 8 out of 100 women will still get pregnant... in using an IUD, 1 out of 100 women will still get pregnant... and Hobby Lobby still covers IUDs because it prevents fertilization and that is their argument, they don't want the egg killed after fertilization... so the single most effective form of birth control on the list (other than abstinence obviously), according to this website, is still covered if they are really concerned about getting pregnant. The second most effective way, at 3 out of 100, is the shot and I have to admit that I don't know if that's one that Hobby Lobby objects to or not.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

They may not know but it would seem it is their fault. My guess is that most know, they just didn't think it would affect them.

One thing I haven't heard is an outcry from the employees over this... what is the feeling among employees?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
J/C CHS...

I posed this question in another venue and haven't gotten an answer yet...

These women enjoy sex, good for them... they want to be more responsible, good for them... Now there are other ways to get your sexual jollies without vaginal penetration or ejaculation but that is the preferred way by most men and women most of the time.. so in an effort to support this responsible choice, the company should be forced by the government to pay for it... even though the act of having sex, the manner in which you have it, and the precaution you want to use are all voluntary choices...

I like to drink beer, good for me... I want to be responsible in the way I drink beer, good for me... Now there are ways to drink beer, like on my own couch or with a designated driver but the preferred way by many is on the way home from work alone, in a bar, with a group of other guys and a bunch of TVs with sports on... so in an effort to support my responsible choice, should the government mandate that my company pay for my cab ride home, since the decision to drink beer, and the location and manner in which I choose to do it are all voluntary choices that I'm making simply so I can partake of something that I enjoy?

yebat' Putin
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
You can't compare drinking beer and a woman caring a child for 9 months.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C CHS...

I posed this question in another venue and haven't gotten an answer yet...

These women enjoy sex, good for them... they want to be more responsible, good for them... Now there are other ways to get your sexual jollies without vaginal penetration or ejaculation but that is the preferred way by most men and women most of the time.. so in an effort to support this responsible choice, the company should be forced by the government to pay for it... even though the act of having sex, the manner in which you have it, and the precaution you want to use are all voluntary choices...

I like to drink beer, good for me... I want to be responsible in the way I drink beer, good for me... Now there are ways to drink beer, like on my own couch or with a designated driver but the preferred way by many is on the way home from work alone, in a bar, with a group of other guys and a bunch of TVs with sports on... so in an effort to support my responsible choice, should the government mandate that my company pay for my cab ride home, since the decision to drink beer, and the location and manner in which I choose to do it are all voluntary choices that I'm making simply so I can partake of something that I enjoy?

I'm glad I read this twice, because my initial reaction to your post was gonna be bad. Straight up, you sound like a holier than thou person right now.

Because nobody on this board has ever had a drunken one night stand.
Or made any bad decision when it comes to sex.

A bad decision shouldn't be led to a 9 month pregnancy and at least 18 years of drama after that. You comparing getting pregnant to drinking alcohol is at best a silly reach.

And that's the problem. People are acting like sex is some mythic land of unicorns and fairies. People are acting like they weren't horny teenagers, and if you're a male, you know damn well you was trying to get some in high school or college.

I think birth control should be supplied. Just like I think condoms should too. That way, if it happens between willing parties, it's on them, and they shouldn't receive government assistance.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

That said, if some single cell organism was discovered on Mars, you would be one of the first to proclaim life on Mars.

Sorry my man, if that is considered life, then a beating heart baby is also considered life.

Science defines life across the universe, then tosses it aside when it comes to human life.

As I've said for years, I have no opinion one way or the other on abortion.

As it pertains to it's legality, our laws aren't necessarily based on the moral or the scientific, but rather the practical.

It's a population control issue, to an extent. Not only would an abortion ban lead to a huge increase in wards of the state, but it wouldn't stop women from getting them done in the proverbial back alley.

Not saying that's right or wrong, just calling it like it is. Don't expect the laws to change on that front.

My biggest issue with the debate is the folks who get all bleeding heart about the sanctity of life are more often than not the first people to recommend bombing the Middle East into a parking lot, or shrugging when we bomb a civilian area and saying 'hey, that's just the unintended consequence' when innocent people die.

Legend
Legend
j/c

There is an important side issue at stake here- one that hasn't (to my knowledge) been explored in this thread:

Doctors routinely prescribe birth control pills to women for reasons other than contraception. For many women, hormonal imbalances are debilitating enough to impact their daily lives. Heavy menses, irregular periods, dysmenorrhea are all controlled with regular hormone therapy- and in many cases, that means "the pill".

I'd like to know HL's stance on the unnecessary suffering that could be experienced by some of their employees... employees who may or may not even care about the contraception side of this issue.

Would Jesus ignore the suffering of "one of the least of us?"

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Here is another interesting article.

Stop calling hobby lobby a christian business

From the article
"Every time you buy a decorative platter from Hobby Lobby with a Bible verse stamped across it, you have funded the company's fight against the HHS contraception mandate. But you're also sending a chunk of change to a country that forces people to abort their children, flouts basic standards of workplace dignity, and denies more than a billion people the right to worship."

Legend
Legend
Hobby Lobby's insurance pays for 16 forms of birth control, including birth control pills. What they object to is the abortifacients.

web page

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Because nobody on this board has ever had a drunken one night stand.
Or made any bad decision when it comes to sex.

I've made bad decisions when it comes to having sex.. I've also made bad decisions when it comes to driving after drinking..

Quote:

A bad decision shouldn't be led to a 9 month pregnancy and at least 18 years of drama after that. You comparing getting pregnant to drinking alcohol is at best a silly reach.

I'm not comparing drinking some alcohol to getting pregnant.. that would be comparing the action of one with the consequences of the other.... I'm comparing choosing to drink alcohol with choosing to have sex (both are voluntary actions).... two things most people in this age demographic choose to do, both of which they do for fun, both of which can have serious consequences if not done responsibly... so let's say I'm comparing the act of drinking with the act of having sex.. and I'm comparing getting pregnant with killing somebody as I drive home.

Quote:

And that's the problem. People are acting like sex is some mythic land of unicorns and fairies. People are acting like they weren't horny teenagers, and if you're a male, you know damn well you was trying to get some in high school or college.

No, you are acting like sex is the only decision people make that the government needs to protect us from the consequences of... and I want to know why. I was a horny teenager, then a horny college student, now I'm a horny old man... so what? I was also a borderline drunk in college and nobody was complaining that the government wasn't forcing somebody to pay for me to do it responsibly. I just want to know why the government protecting us from the consequences of sex is on some pedestal above all of the other things we choose to do which can have serious consequences if done irresponsibly.. is it because the prevention comes in a little packet from the pharmacy? Is that why it's different? If there was a drug that prevented you from making bad decisions after drinking or getting high should health insurance have to cover that too?

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

They didn't force anyone who didn't want to. Maternity leave is what you said with an exception, it's strictly for the mother. Hence the name "Maternity".

Yes the government did force. The owners of Hobby Lobby already provided 16 forms of birth control to their employees. They provided everything but abortive drugs. The federal mandate would have forced them to provide coverage for the abortive drugs against their religious beliefs. As for your other statement, if I had meant someone other than the mother, as in the father, I would have said paternity leave. I thought it obvious the word maternity explained that all by itself.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

...Because there are a lot of Christian owners not pulling this crap that he hobby lobby owner is...

Exactly what "crap" is the owner pulling?

That reads like you think his defense of his religious freedom is crap.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Supreme Court Rules Against Obamacare on Birth Control

Link Copied to Clipboard