Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I zoomed in my browser and watched that gif on replay a dozen times and I actually don't think his helmet made contact with Hoyer's. It looks like all shoulders.

I zoomed to about 300%

web page

free....you are wrong...Kiko clocked Hoyer right in the side of his helmet.

Notice, the tip off is Hoyer chin strap being forced off of Hoyer's chin and over his mouth...because of the helmet to helmet contact.

In LB talk...Hoyer got earholed.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
He hit him in the shoulder.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It looked to me like it did make contact helmet to helmet but it was an incidental tap after hitting shoulder to shoulder. I don't think Alonso intended to use his helmet as a weapon by any stretch of the imagination.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't know hitting a sliding QB was legal...

Was it even a slide, or an awkward collapse that could have been deemed a slide by some?

Not going to take sides, but it's clear Hoyer gave up on the play and was giving himself up. Yes, an awkward slide but still a slide IMO. Ah well it's done and over with now. Who knows what our season wouldn't have been like if he had slid better, if Kiko was a second or so later in his hit or didn't hit at all.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
And if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

His hands were at his side. He was launching with the crown of his helmet. Doesn't matter where he might have maybe, possibly, I think he could've, intended to hit. He made square helmet to helmet contact with a QB going into a slide. Take your Alonso lover blinders off and watch what actually happened, not what you think he might have been trying to do.

Don't care about Alonso what so ever. don't hate him and don't like him. Could care less.

It wasn't a dirty hit. He wasn't aiming for his head. Far as I know there is no rules against a diving tackle. At the point he dove it was not aimed at Hoyer's head but at his waist. Hoyer was running hard for a first down and didn't appear to be stopping until the very last possible second. Love Hoyer, hate that he got hurt but it wasn't Alonso's fault it was Hoyer's. Hoyer didn't slide properly and was running it like a HB ready to pound it in for that last yard.

IMHO they shouldn't even allow QB's to slide because it's far more dangerous when it comes to how exposed they are. If they can't handle getting hit then they shouldn't run it but throw it away.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its a close call, and the stop-action photos appear to show his helmet hitting Hoyer's shoulder pad and not his helmet, but I have no doubt that if it had been a Browns' LB making that hit on a Brady, a Manning, a Roethlisberger, etc, it would have drawn a flag and a probable fine.

Last edited by Dave; 07/04/14 08:26 AM.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

He hit him in the shoulder.

No Pit...watch it again, Kikos helmet goes right over the shoulder pad and contacts Hoyer right in the side of the helmet. The impact of the helmet to helmet hit causes Hoyer's chin strap to be dislodged from under his chin, sliding up and over Hoyer's nose.

...I would say that 95% of the energy of the impact was absorbed by the helmets, not the shoulder pads.

...if this hit was not helmet to helmet then explain why Hoyer's chin strap ends up over his nose?

I'm not saying there was no contact between the right side of the LB's helmet with the top of Hoyer's shoulder pad...it is very slight, grazing over the top of Hoyer's shoulder pad...but that was a classic "earhole" shot from a LB.

I'm not calling the hit illegal nor dirty...but I'm not about to claim that Kiko didn't hit his intended target, Hoyer's helmet. I have no problem with the officials not throwing a flag as long as they call the game both ways.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
The initial hit was the shoulder pad. Kiko launched before Hoyer began the slide. There's no way he could have determined or accurately estimated where he would have hit Hoyer when he left his feet for the tackle, while Hoyer was still standing upright.

I'm not saying the helmets did not meet at some point. But what I can say, is that Kiko went for the tackle before Hoyer began to slide and the initial hit was on the shoulder.

That's not illegal or worthy of a penalty or fine.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

When he pulls the ball down and runs past the LOS he isn't a quarterback any longer. He's a running back. And you can lay the wood to a running back.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
B
Legend
Legend
B
Are we still hashing this out?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

When he pulls the ball down and runs past the LOS he isn't a quarterback any longer. He's a running back. And you can lay the wood to a running back.

That is not correct.

You cannot hit a QB once he starts to slide and gives himself up. The play is dead at the point that he begins his slide, and any part of his body other than a hand or foot hits the ground.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/pub...Ball_Scrimm.pdf

Section 2 Dead Ball

Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:

(a) when a runner is contacted by a defensive player and touches the ground with any part of his body other than his hands or feet. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground. A runner touching the ground with his hands or feet while in the grasp of an opponent may continue to advance; or;

(b) when a runner is held or otherwise restrained so that his forward progress ends; or

(c) when a quarterback immediately drops to his knee (or simulates dropping to his knee) behind the line of scrimmage; or

(d) when a runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the ground. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet; or

Note: Defenders are required to treat a sliding runner as they would a runner who is down by contact.

(1) A defender must pull up when a runner begins a feet-first slide. This does not mean that all contact by a defender is illegal. If a defender has already committed himself, and the contact is unavoidable, it is not a foul unless the defender commits some other act, such as helmet-to-helmet contact or by driving his forearm or shoulder into the head or neck area of the runner.

(2) A runner who desires to take advantage of this protection is responsible for starting his slide before contact by a defensive player is imminent; if he does not, and waits until the last moment to begin his slide, he puts himself in jeopardy of being contacted.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I zoomed in my browser and watched that gif on replay a dozen times and I actually don't think his helmet made contact with Hoyer's. It looks like all shoulders.

I zoomed to about 300%

web page

free....you are wrong...Kiko clocked Hoyer right in the side of his helmet.

Notice, the tip off is Hoyer chin strap being forced off of Hoyer's chin and over his mouth...because of the helmet to helmet contact.

In LB talk...Hoyer got earholed.

I still see a gap where his head hit the shoulder and from that point on the Hoyer's head goes away. As for Hoyer's helmet well that's just physics.

The force of being hit from the side while trying to go forward and downward made his head go one direction while the helmet wanted to go another. I've seen guys take solid hits in the chest and the helmet has popped off with no contact to the helmet.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
My point was never intent, or even if Kiko hit Hoyer's helmet...

I'm just saying people that think a 200 pound guy landing on Hoyer has nothing to do with his ACL tearing are crazy...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kiko Alonso Likely Out For '14 Season

Link Copied to Clipboard