ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Josh Gordon hearing has been set for late July

Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT

AP
With the NFL firing off suspensions today like shots from a Roman candle, some have wondered whether the next shoe will drop on the throat of Browns receiver Josh Gordon.

Per a league source, nothing will be happening today.

But it will be happening sooner rather than later. Gordon’s hearing, we’re told, has been scheduled for late July.

It’s still possible that a hearing won’t be needed, if the NFL and the NFLPA work out a reduced suspension. Gordon reportedly faces a minimum banishment of one year for his latest violation of the substance-abuse policy.

If Gordon is suspended for a year, the ban will start immediately. It’s possible that, with a reduced suspension, he’ll be permitted to participate in training camp and the preseason.

PFT

So there's that..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
My guess is a 6 game suspension.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
FINALLY, there is SOME news made public!

Thanks for the post!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the max will be 6 and would not be shocked if no suspension.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think the max will be 6 and would not be shocked if no suspension.

I honestly think no suspension is nothing other than wishful thinking, but I'd love that. I'm thinking 6 to 8 games, I hope that's all.

Good grief, Charlie Brown.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
I'm liking that it sounds like it might not be a full year. Anything less than that is gravy. 6 or less would be fantastic if in fact he tested positive of something he shouldn't have or missed a test, or whatever it actually is.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
No suspension is possible. Unlikely, but possible.

Basically Gordon is paying people to go through every last detail of the testing process with a fine tooth comb. Any slight deviation from protocol is a valid case.

Think wealthy guy with money to burn gets a DUI.

Extremely unlikely, though.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I'm liking that it sounds like it might not be a full year. Anything less than that is gravy. 6 or less would be fantastic if in fact he tested positive of something he shouldn't have or missed a test, or whatever it actually is.

I don't know how one reads in to this one way or the other.

At worst, he'll be back in time to work in to shape for the regular season......assuming he stays in some sort of shape during his year off.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Think wealthy guy with money to burn gets a DUI.

A guy I know just spent 10 grand to get rid of his sixth DUI. Ridiculous on multiple levels..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can I ask why the majority of respondents think it's gonna be 6-8 games?

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
wishful thinking.

He is gone for the year IMO, better get used to it.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Josh Gordon: :yawn:

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

wishful thinking.

This. Prepare for the worst hope for the best and the rest is written.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Can I ask why the majority of respondents think it's gonna be 6-8 games?

Because it has been such a nonchalant process. Supposedly this case was announced to the team and player back around the time of the draft. The Browns were so concerned that they did absolutely nothing in the draft, despite not having much at all at the position.

Further, I just don't see why Josh's agent would put him through the situation of missing all of next year's off-season training activities. If he is suspended for a year in late July, for example, he could miss almost the entire off-season next year.

Also, his agent was really adamant about something that happened with regards to Gordon, and then got the "shut up" order from the NFL.

A lot of it is purely circumstantial ..... but who knows? Sherman beat a suspension completely last year. Maybe Josh's agent got advice from his agent.

Sherman was supposedly set to be suspended, possibly long term ....... yet somehow had the ruling overruled on appeal. How? If he tested positive at some point, then either the process failed, and he received a false positive, (which would be horrible for the integrity of the process) or else he tested positive, and the NFL changed their mind on punishment. (which would be worse)

We'll see what happens with Gordon. To me, it just feels like a less severe punishment is on the horizon than a year long suspension.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'm still pissed at OTL/ESPN...

Especially if it turns out he "just missed a test while on vaction" or whatever..

Greg Little said on his way out that there was more to it, and I don't feel like he has a reason to lie..

Also with the NFL looking to alter its penalties, I don't think they want to go ahead and throw someone out for a year if that's not ganna be the penalty soon...

And yes, I do think the NFL would enjoy having JF and Gordon on the same field, its all about money afterall...

D
Legend
Legend
D
I heard some speculation on the radio - I don't know if it was based on any actual report or just sports talk noodling - that Gordon may have missed a drug test due to some logistical circumstance, but then tested clean the next day. NFL rules are etched in stone regarding a missed test: a missed test equals a positive test. But the delay since we first heard about this, along with the scheduling of his hearing nearly 3+ weeks from now and the news that the NFLPA is invoved with "negotiations" makes me wonder if the NFL might be reconsidering its hardline stance. In other words, we don't know any more than we did before.

Legend
Legend
Thanks for the news post. Glad to see something happening; at least whatever bad news comes, we need to know for roster issues with camp coming, which remains a big concern of mine.

Just want to put this behind us and start to focus on the good stuff stories instead, and we have some of those in my opinion. My feeling is don't forgive or forget the incidents that got us here. Hoping for the best for the entire club. Gordon should not be allowed to cripple us much further.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
It wasn't intended as a "news report", just speculation I tuned into on the way home from work. But, it would change my perception of Gordon if he only missed a test rather than having failed one. I'll also say that its pretty unfair of the NFL to keep the Browns hanging until late July, if they're just going to suspend him for a year anyway.

Legend
Legend
j/c -- I hope he gets whatever number of games it will take for him to get serious about his livelihood so that he cuts this crap out. If that's a full year, then so be it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
We will know in a few weeks, BUT even then I am not sure if the whole story will come out.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Quote:

wishful thinking.

This. Prepare for the worst hope for the best and the rest is written.

+ 1

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I'm still pissed at OTL/ESPN...

Especially if it turns out he "just missed a test while on vaction" or whatever..

Greg Little said on his way out that there was more to it, and I don't feel like he has a reason to lie..

Also with the NFL looking to alter its penalties, I don't think they want to go ahead and throw someone out for a year if that's not ganna be the penalty soon...

And yes, I do think the NFL would enjoy having JF and Gordon on the same field, its all about money afterall...

Enjoy............no doubt. Money............absolutely.

And imo if he's suspended for more than 4 games.............embarrased.

In this day and age, with "partaking" on a social level completely legal in 2 states and medically used in amother 10-15(and the Feds completely turning their backs), it's a BS NFL rule.

I wonder how the NFL would feel about suspending Earl Thomas, Russel Wilson, Andre Johnson, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Gronkowski, etc, etc,etc for a year............all players rated below Josh Gordon's #16best ranking on the NFL's top 100 of 2014??? Or any of the 15 ranked above him??? Peyton, Brady, etc,etc???

Imo they'd look foolish.............and they know it!

Just a thought "In This Day And Age".

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

I wonder how the NFL would feel about suspending Earl Thomas, Russel Wilson, Andre Johnson, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Gronkowski, etc, etc,etc for a year............all players rated below Josh Gordon's #16best ranking on the NFL's top 100 of 2014??? Or any of the 15 ranked above him??? Peyton, Brady, etc,etc???

Imo they'd look foolish.............and they know it!

I don't think it is about the NFL looking foolish, I think it is more about those players not being so stupid!!!!!!

This is about Josh and his mistakes/past and not about the NFL PR Machine.

Those players you named have their priorities straight, Josh doesn't seem to care...or care enough.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
I think if it's a positive test, it shows he has no desire to stop. If it's a year suspension, he will party on and may never play again.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

I think if it's a positive test, it shows he has no desire to stop. If it's a year suspension, he will party on and may never play again.

He is driving around town while under investigation with pot in his car. To me that says he just don't care about his team at all. he only cares about his old pot head friends. Friends who will cost him tens of millions of dollars. You can't fix stupid.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c -- I hope he gets whatever number of games it will take for him to get serious about his livelihood so that he cuts this crap out. If that's a full year, then so be it.

really can't disagree with u on this one..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree. A year suspension is probably gonna be a bong-hit fiesta for him.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Perhaps he is trying to negotiate away from "indefinite" to get some clarity. In that case, a full year suspension is my guess.

Maybe he is just stalling while the players' union negotiates new standards, hoping to get retro-active. I doubt it will work.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
maybe he just waited to file appeal because he just don't care?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe he had to be informed he was going to be suspended officially in order to file an appeal?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe he had to be informed he was going to be suspended officially in order to file an appeal?

read somewhere he got the letter back in march?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

I heard some speculation on the radio - I don't know if it was based on any actual report or just sports talk noodling - that Gordon may have missed a drug test due to some logistical circumstance, but then tested clean the next day. NFL rules are etched in stone regarding a missed test: a missed test equals a positive test.

Yeah-- that appears to be what is trickling out. Go read the PFT article titled "some close to Gordon worried about reinstatement if he draws a one year ban". I hardly ever scroll threw the comment section- but on this one I did. Scroll down to comment on 7/4 at 8:52pm. this guy had a lot of details of what happened- and if this is accurate, Gordon probably shouldn't even be suspended. I would paste and click what the guy said, but I doubt the rules of the board would allow it to stand....

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
nitwit just got a dwi today. how stupid can a guy be lol

Nate Ulrich ‏@NateUlrichABJ · 7m
Raleigh, N.C. police say #Browns WR Josh Gordon was arrested on DWI charge. Working on obtaining more info. WKYC first reported the arrest.

Last edited by pblack18707; 07/05/14 03:02 PM.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
RALEIGH, NC -- WKYC has confirmed that Browns receiver Josh Gordon was arrested early this morning in Raleigh, North Carolina for driving while impaired.

Gordon was arrested by Raleigh Police Department and then booked in the Wake County Detention Center around 4:00am this morning.

We will bring you more details as they come in.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/2014/07/05/josh-gordon-arrested-for-dwi/12248293/

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
welp...theres that

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
It's probably a year now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have to part ways with this guy !

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
He is probably looking at worse than a year now with this dui. His career might just be over permanently.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

He is probably looking at worse than a year now with this dui. His career might just be over permanently.

Well, technically there is no "year" suspension. It is an indefinite suspension with the ability to apply for reinstatement in a year. I suspect that, even with the DUI, he could still be reinstated if his tests come back clean, and he stays out of trouble in the meanwhile.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon hearing set for late July

Link Copied to Clipboard