Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Well his 2014 salary likely went from $825,000 to $0. Ouch. Also if suspended indefinitely, his $10million/year contract gets pushed back a full year or more, if he ever gets it at all. He may not have hit rock bottom but it sure seems to be coming up fast.

Also, for a male of his size drinking over say 3 hours, that's about 8 beers. I realize that driving at .09 isn't the worst thing one can do but let's just call it like it is. Of course there is individual variance in how fast one metabolizes alcohol, different beer sizes and strengths etc.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Yeah, the talk about "hitting rock bottom" is pretty humorous considering he got a $2.3M signing bonus and made close to $1M in salary in his first two seasons combined. I don't think even he is dumb enough to have squandered that much money in 2+ years.

It's not about blowing it in 2+ years. It's about how much debt he's racked up in that time. And I'd bet the answer is a lot.

When those paychecks stop coming, the nicer things go away.

I don't know what his rock bottom is, and neither does anyone else. But let's hope it's this.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
A little off-topic here, but with all of the Manziel and Gordon talk lately, I've been thinking...

Say what you will about 'The Decision', but LeBron James turned out to have his head on his shoulders.

Famous at 16, and not so much of a peep off-the-court. The media burned him early on for the jerseys and the Hummer, and he learned real quick how to keep his business private and clean.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You got so much "what if" and theory/rhetoric in that post, I think I just had a cup of tea with Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz...

Still, he asked a few good questions.. What if his questions turn out to be valid?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T
Y.A.W.N. I've put my views on DUI on this board before. (It's driving "under" influence in Ohio so I call it D U I . )

Much ado about what will amount to not much going forward. Be thankful no one was hurt.

Doesn't change, much!

Hey on Josh Gordon? Once a Brown, always a Brown, is how I feel today!

Hey, look at it this way, He was already suspended pending however long that takes anyways. He's not gonna get paid for time the league won't let him play.

NO sense the Browns piling on this guy and saying, " be somebody you're not".

I don't think, (scratch that,) I wouldn't bet, Evel Kinevel ever went 12 months straight without getting into some kind of trouble.

But he sure was heck and Jesus on a motorcycle. (As Little Bill Taggert might say.)

I mean really, it's a non-story to me.

Don't drink and drive! Cause you're gonna get pulled over! And it's gonna cost you $6000, when it's said and done! And somebody could get Killed!!! And lots of people have been killed.

But lot's of great people in history have done things. But Hey, the government Law ain't been the most righteous thing in the world throughout the history of time. ( I said "most" righteous, "most" !, folks, don't read that as encouraging law breaking, I'm saying the govt ain't potentate, it's just a stupid dumb() gov't with the failings of beaurocracy.

See! Non-story! IN other news, take the Steelers and the points in game 1, fast approaching. Where's the hope Haslem?
(growl: emoticon)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Evel Kineval?

Lol what?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
It's THROW LONG, man. Last week, he compared a balanced football team to Danny DeVito.

Just ride the wave.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

You got so much "what if" and theory/rhetoric in that post, I think I just had a cup of tea with Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz...

No more "what ifs" in WSU Willie's post than speculation in yours. You don't know anything about Gordon's current issue with the NFL, and going over the speed limit with .09 in your blood doesn't make you an addict. It doesn't even make you stupid, despite the current NFL issue he's having. All of this righteous indignation, moralizing, and impromptu IQ testing is making me nauseous.

Human, all too human.

All Pro
All Pro
Gordon will be out for a year and traded for a sixth round pick if he stays sober and is reinstated. My guess is he will find more trouble for himself while he is out.

GO BROWNS!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm not religious, but I sure wish Josh would find Jesus! The kid needs some direction other than downward spiral!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Again, I fail to see how it's an issue of morals. It's an issue of intelligence, and, yes, this matter does lead to rightful questioning of it.

Josh Gordon works for a company (and parent company) that have gone out of their way to tell players 'If you've had one too many, we will pay for any car service you need.'

To not take advantage of that is stupid. Especially in the position he's in.

And as long as we're discussing common sense, most of us have had a few too many pops and taken the risk. I'm sure the smarter ones don't go 50 in a 35. I know when I've been on the border, I'm all turn signals and hands on ten and two.

And as I've said, this isn't, 'whoops, Josh made a mistake'. This is like nine mistakes. And there has been no signs of corrective behavior.

You make it sound like the board is blowing it's top for no reason, but the truth of the matter is that it's highly likely the guy won't be playing football for a year or more.

That's kind of serious, and, yes, it shows a lot of lapses in judgement.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

As a Browns fan, I'm hoping there is some credibility to the rumor that Josh simply missed a drug test due to a delayed flight and not that he actually failed one.

As a Browns fan, I'm hoping the suspension is a short one due to those circumstances and things aren't as bad as they appear on the surface.

As a Browns fan, those are the type of things I can only hope for, because since our return, whatever can go wrong will.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I'm not religious, but I sure wish Josh would find Jesus! The kid needs some direction other than downward spiral!

True, but drugs and abuse is like having trouble in the legal system. Once you get caught in the suck, it's hard to pull out. There isn't much wiggle room. Each mistake takes you deeper and deeper.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
JC.

Pathetic.Typical. Not shocked. Next.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

j/c

What if the story about a delayed flight is true and is the reason why he missed the test?

What if a few hours after the scheduled test time he took the test and the results were negative?

Let me be clear here...I think he's a dumb donkey...but that's not illegal.

What if his transgressions for the past few months end up being a delayed flight, a lead foot, and 1/2 beer too many before driving home?

This is the same story that I am seeing more of- was in Europe on vacation, summoned to take a random test, asked the NFL to do it in Europe, nobody was credentialed by the NFL to take the test, booked a flight back to the states, the plane was delayed, MISSED the test, took it within 24 hours of the missed test, passed the test. But since it was a MISSED test its a FAILED test. One would think cooler heads would prevail and this whole thing really is a non-issue.

its just crappy timing with the DUI, I don't know what the punishment would be for someone not in the tier 3, but this is the thing that really screws the appeals up. He should have been acting like a saint, waiting for this appeal to blow over.

All in all, I don't think his behavior is as bad as the people are making it out (assuming the failed test was really a missed test secondary to a logistical problem) and I don't agree with cutting him. Seems like people are over-reacting in typical brown fashion.

He's just not the sharpest bulb on the tree, but he is young and will mature. It would be nice to see him do it in a browns uniform. Call me the eternal optimist, but I just don't see this lengthy suspension, even with this latest DUI (which at the time of his appeals will still be a legal matter).

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

No more "what ifs" in WSU Willie's post than speculation in yours. You don't know anything about Gordon's current issue with the NFL, and going over the speed limit with .09 in your blood doesn't make you an addict. It doesn't even make you stupid, despite the current NFL issue he's having. All of this righteous indignation, moralizing, and impromptu IQ testing is making me nauseous.

Human, all too human.

I think you have a complete lack of perspective on top of an overwhelming bias in favor of JG because he's uber talented and plays for the Browns. If you don't think JG is being incredibly stupid and short-sighted for his recent transgressions, I don't know what to tell you. Well, I'd tell you that you are biased and lack perspective.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Human, all too human.

If you're already in hot water - you tread carefully. To me, this is common sense. When you fail to apprehend and demonstrate common sense - you become stupid in my eyes. If he's out until 3am, then he should have just arranged transportation with the bundles of money he has, but did he?

We'll just need to agree to disagree here, but soaking in his past and etc - I'm borderline, if not tipped over the edge, that he's just a downward spiral in the making.

Can some facts surface that would ease my point of view and current opinion, well sure... I don't see them facts. Yet anyway...

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Cleveland Browns need to give Josh Gordon this choice: Rehab or release -- Terry Pluto

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/07/cleveland_browns_need_to_give.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Well, Ballpeen, this development re-defines "He's a bust." Dumb and dumber.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

I think you have a complete lack of perspective on top of an overwhelming bias in favor of JG because he's uber talented and plays for the Browns. If you don't think JG is being incredibly stupid and short-sighted for his recent transgressions, I don't know what to tell you. Well, I'd tell you that you are biased and lack perspective.

I lack perspective? Back to the OP for you. This time pay attention to all of the "Cut him" posts (and variations on that theme). If the failed drug test really does turn out to be a series of unfortunate events, then the "Cut him" response is essentially based on a .09 DUI. Talk about a skewed perspective.

This being said, I don't know how Gordon's appeal will turn out, so I'll try to restrain my ardent Josh Gordon fanaticism for now. But please don't fool yourself into believing that the majority of posters on this thread have a proper and reasonable perspective while mine is distorted.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In the end, the only perspective that matters is Gordon's employer's. I guess we will see what happens. I have to think patience is running a bit thin now...

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I agree with Terry Pluto. Either Gordon agrees to rehab or he gets released! This is more than about football, Gordon has a life threating problem and needs help. I hope he agrees to get it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I agree with Terry Pluto. Either Gordon agrees to rehab or he gets released! This is more than about football, Gordon has a life threating problem and needs help. I hope he agrees to get it.

There's no indication that he has a life threatening problem. He has a career threatening problem due to making idiotic choices.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Cleveland Browns need to give Josh Gordon this choice: Rehab or release -- Terry Pluto

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/07/cleveland_browns_need_to_give.html

I disagree.
It'll hurt him more to NOT release him. Make him sit - under contract, suspended, and not getting paid. Unable to sign with another team. Football purgatory.
As long as he is suspended, he doesn't count against our roster, so it costs us nothing. Nobody will change their ways until it hurts more to stay the same than it does to change... he needs consequences he will feel deeply.

As for rehab.... we can send him, but unless he sees the need to change, it won't have any effect. I'm not saying that to say that we shouldn't do it, because it should still be done. I'm just saying that the chances of it having the desired affect are slim - as in, less than 10%.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
It's got to hurt if it's to heal.

Make it hurt.

#GMSTRONG
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

Gordon has a life threating problem and needs help.

I rest my case.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Gordon will be out for a year and traded for a sixth round pick if he stays sober and is reinstated. My guess is he will find more trouble for himself while he is out.

If he stays sober, he'll be here after any suspension, You don't give up a guy with that talent for a 6th, 5th, 4th, 3th or 2nd round. You may give him up for ALL of that or a 1st rounder. IF HE"S SOBER..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

You don't give up a guy with that talent for a 6th, 5th, 4th, 3th or 2nd round.

Happens all the time in the NFL.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

But when does it work out?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But when does it work out?

For both teams? Rarely..

NE gave up what, a 4th for Moss? I mean you could argue he'd never of put up those numbers in Oakland, but still, a 4th...

Baltimore gave up their IMO playoff MVP for cap room basically, and their offense suffered.

Im not giving Gordon up for a low pick, because IF he comes back and contributes, it better be with the Browns...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I wouldn't trade or cut the guy right now.

If we could get a second, then, yeah, sure, but we've got him on the cheap. Just wait and see.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Pluto is an idiot.

You still have his rights. The team can suspend him, regardless of what the NFL does. In fact, I would say that they should do so. Suspend him for the entire 2014 season. Take the punishment out of the hands of the NFL and make that determination on their own (provided the NFL lets the Browns punishment stand on its own without bringing down their own). That way, the NFL saves face of a bad situation, the Browns are able to maintain a bit of self-control over the situation and keep him "in the family" and under contract (adding a year due to suspension).

If the NFLPA files suit against the team, then the team revokes the punishment and lets the NFL commish impose it.

Gordon has screwed up his career already. If the Browns can reclaim any part of him or his career, they should do so. They should be able to get it on the cheap at this point.

M
Legend
Legend
M
J/C…

I'll do my part, as a Browns fan, and tweet Gordon the name and number of Kosar's attorney that got him out of his recent DUI fiasco.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I don't know how Gordon's appeal will turn out

Sure you do.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Did you forget the part about him getting sober? I guess so. Drunk or drugged, he's not worth anything. Sober, he's too good to give up for cheap.

If you wanna quote me, fine, but do it correctly.

NOBODY and I mean nobody dumps a guy on the cheap when he's corrected his issues.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

I lack perspective? Back to the OP for you. This time pay attention to all of the "Cut him" posts (and variations on that theme). If the failed drug test really does turn out to be a series of unfortunate events, then the "Cut him" response is essentially based on a .09 DUI. Talk about a skewed perspective.

This being said, I don't know how Gordon's appeal will turn out, so I'll try to restrain my ardent Josh Gordon fanaticism for now. But please don't fool yourself into believing that the majority of posters on this thread have a proper and reasonable perspective while mine is distorted.

The "cut him" response is based upon a pattern of behavior that he's selfish and unreliable. He reflects poorly on the Browns and the NFL. How many colleges did he get kicked out of for failing drug tests? How many violations of the substance abuse policy is this while in the NFL? I don't think we should cut the guy but only because it is in the Browns' best interest to hold onto his contractual rights in case he does turn it around.

He has the ability to be the best receiver in the NFL and apparently doesn't even have to work all that hard at it. He's seriously jeopardizing a $10million/year career because he can't lay off the weed and purple drank, and can't arrange a ride or call a cab when he's drinking. You don't think he is stupid-- agree to disagree.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Did you forget the part about him getting sober? I guess so. Drunk or drugged, he's not worth anything. Sober, he's too good to give up for cheap.

Is JG an alcoholic for blowing a .09? Does he actually have a documented drinking problem? I have no idea, but to suggest that he "needs to get sober" implies he has an alcohol problem. I think it's his stupidity that needs rehabbed.

Can stupidity be rehabbed?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

How many colleges did he get kicked out of for failing drug tests?

If he entered the league at Stage 1 then his college past carried over to the NFL and he has been punished for that prior behavior. If he entered the league and was not put in Stage 1, then his college past means nothing.

Quote:

How many violations of the substance abuse policy is this while in the NFL?

That we know of? One...sort of...either he drank the purple crap or some cough syrup. My guess is the purple drank. The punishment for that violation was odd.

You just proved my point as well as that of Mantis - he hasn't had ANY known violations of the substance abuse policy since last year (purple drank).

Quote:

You don't think he is stupid-- agree to disagree.

I'm pretty sure that everyone on this board thinks JG is stupid for putting himself in these situations. Who are you agreeing to disagree with regarding whether JG is stupid?

A delayed flight (possibly and provable), a lead foot (oh the horror), and half a beer too many (.09? Really?)...and we need to send him to rehab? That's nuts...rehab what? Stupidity?

FYI: I don't believe that JG is a saint. My guess is he's still smoking weed. However, I have no info that would suggest he has a drinking problem or is addicted to weed - if that's even possible. He might be a crack head. The point is that we don't know. Right now, I know he's a dumb donkey for putting himself in these situations - and I've said that numerous times.

What if he's just a dumb donkey?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Is JG an alcoholic for blowing a .09? Does he actually have a documented drinking problem? I have no idea, but to suggest that he "needs to get sober" implies he has an alcohol problem. I think it's his stupidity that needs rehabbed.

Can stupidity be rehabbed?

I don't know about that. What I do know is this. If he cleans up his act (and it's a huge IF) he's worth more than giving him away on the cheap.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If I'm the Browns, I do whatever I can to get him professional help. I mean like Dez-Bryant-Babysitting help after he's done a stint in the Betty Ford clinic.

If he can turn it around like Chris Carter (an admitted alcohol and coke addict) did, it would be an overwhelming success story for the Browns and JG.

I just don't think you give up on him yet before exhausting all resources to help the kid.

The worst thing the Browns can do right now is nothing. Get him help before the suspension is handed down because when that kicks in, he's not supposed to be in contact with the team.

If they don't, there will someday be some sad 30-for-30 story about what could have been with JG....

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon Arrested in North Carolina

Link Copied to Clipboard