Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My dad used to have a can of this:

Olde Frothingslosh. The pale, stale ale with the foam on the bottom.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
St. Bernabus is really close from what I hear. I'm actually not a fan of most Belgians, but some of the abbey styles are worth having for sure.

If any of you get the chance to go to/be in the Tampa area, stop by Cigar City. They have some reallly off the wall stuff and their own unique style that makes their beer a "must have." Their Tony Jannus Pale Ale (only served at TPA airport and their brewery) is phenomenal.

Also in that area is a place called Dunedin Brewery which I loved. They have some odd combinations like coffee brown ales, oatmeal pale ales which are damn good. Good food as well.

That reminds me. I forgot my favorite Scotch Ales: Dunedin "The Bard" and Three Floyds "Robert the Bruce."

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
S
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
Quote:

St. Bernabus is really close from what I hear. I'm actually not a fan of most Belgians, but some of the abbey styles are worth having for sure.

If any of you get the chance to go to/be in the Tampa area, stop by Cigar City. They have some reallly off the wall stuff and their own unique style that makes their beer a "must have." Their Tony Jannus Pale Ale (only served at TPA airport and their brewery) is phenomenal.

Also in that area is a place called Dunedin Brewery which I loved. They have some odd combinations like coffee brown ales, oatmeal pale ales which are damn good. Good food as well.

That reminds me. I forgot my favorite Scotch Ales: Dunedin "The Bard" and Three Floyds "Robert the Bruce."

Not sure if you saw my post earlier but I had cigar city's forgotten island two months ago. It may be the best beer I've ever had. Quadrupel aged in rum barrels. 15%abv. Really good. Apparently it was a limited release only given out to their el catador members.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Coors brewed one place and always good. Not Coors light, the original Banquet.

Damn, I'm thirsty now

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Stopped in hoping for free samples.. now I'm depressed.

yebat' Putin
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I'm not a beer drinker anymore but at one point I really enjoyed the stuff. I was never loyal to one maker. Back in college in the early 90's, before the craft beer explosion, I drank my way onto a local bar's 'Hall of Foam'. The Easy Street Cafe in Bowling Green gave out cards with a list of about 90 beers on it. As you ordered and drank through them the bartender had to sign off each one. Once done my name was engraved on a brass tag and placed on the bar's wall display known as 'The Hall of Foam'. To this day it remains with the names of many other forgotten college-aged barflies. I drank a fair amount of crappy beers, but also tried many that were quite good. It really opened up my pallet at a time before that was a celebrated thing in a beer drinker.
Now I just don't enjoy alcohol anymore. I'll have a beer or two a summer, a margarita in Mexico, a glass of wine on vacation but that's about it. When I do have a beer I'm lucky to live in a beer crazed city in the most craft beer crazed state. Oregon has more breweries per capita than ony other state in the country. Follow the link to a cool state by state beer/brewery stat page.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics/by-state/?state=OR

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Easy Street Cafe in Bowling Green....

Back when that place went by another name in the late 70's (SOP I believe), we used to go there for 10 cent beer night. 3.2 Falstaff....you had to drink 6 or 7 to be able to stand the taste, but there were still quite a few dimes left in the roll.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I've got my name in the Hall of Foam in Toledo's Easy Street.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure if you saw my post earlier but I had cigar city's forgotten island two months ago. It may be the best beer I've ever had. Quadrupel aged in rum barrels. 15%abv. Really good. Apparently it was a limited release only given out to their el catador members.

Consider yourself very privileged. I would kill for a Catador membership. I did get to go to their Hunahpu Day this year, and I actually did walk out with 6 bottles (3 for me and 3 for my wife who went with me).

I know a Catador member down there. We split one of the Catador brandy-barrel aged Hunahpus (phenomenal!), and I in turn brought some Hopslam and KBS which we both split as well. Founders has a one-time release coming up and I'm trying like hell to make sure I can get it.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
my uncle and his buddies are looking out for me if a bottle of Forgotten Island ever surfaces in trades...

Speaking of Founders, there was a bottle of KBS in that box he gave me. Good god. Stuff goes down smooth and then jumps up on you. Like 11%. I really want to get more of that stuff.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I like a variety of beers but some of my favorites are:

Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Dogfish Head IPA
Great Lakes Burning River, Edmund Fitzgerald, Blackout Stout
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (Definitely number 1 or 2 on my list. It's pretty amazing).

Also I've found that anything Sierra Nevada brewery puts out is usually pretty quality. And to the people who don't drink darker beers, you're seriously missing out on a lot of stuff.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Somehow I'm always late to our Beer threads. Anyway, I'm all over Belgian styled beers, been that way for 4 years. The two newest:

The Ogden - a 9% beer from Goose Island. Damn! Great stuff. Not too bitter and just the right amount of fruit

Spacewalker American Belgo - a 8.2% beer from Great Lakes Brewing Company. A little more punch in the flavor department than the Ogden but still subtle enough for summertime sipping.

I think both were $11-12 for a 4-pack.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Have you ever hopped over to Grand Rapids, by chance? In addition to Founders, there's a ton of other great breweries. One of them is Brewery Vivant. They have outstanding Belgian styles.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

And to the people who don't drink darker beers, you're seriously missing out on a lot of stuff.

It might not be trendy or new. It has been selling since 1759, so that says something...I love a pint of Guiness.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Have you ever hopped over to Grand Rapids, by chance? In addition to Founders, there's a ton of other great breweries. One of them is Brewery Vivant. They have outstanding Belgian styles.

My dad and I took a motorcycle trip through Grand Rapids two years ago. We stayed at a hotel/bar near the brewery, though we didn't check it out. It was at the bar I tried and enjoyed Dirty Batsard. Man that stuff is good! Everything they had on tap was really good, lots of other stuff.

I haven't tried the other one you said, but I'll head over to Binny's Beverage Mart and see what they have. I know they carry Founders stuff.

Thanks for the tip.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

And to the people who don't drink darker beers, you're seriously missing out on a lot of stuff.

It might not be trendy or new. It has been selling since 1759, so that says something...I love a pint of Guiness.

If I recall correctly, you also go to Tampa every now and then. Next time you're down there, try Cigar City's Marshall Zhukov Imperial Stout.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
just remembered another good one.

Heartland Brewery Farmer Jon's Oatmeal Stout

nice tasty stout.

Joe Thomas #73
1st String
1st String
j/c

It's been over 30 yrs. since I had a beer. Don't miss it either! But back in the day I liked a 'Black and Tan' made from Heineken and Guinness Stout together.

Groza76

Go Browns, WIN or lose, forever!
Groza76 #894056 07/16/14 06:24 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gennese Cream Ale

Nothing like the morning after when your mouth tasted like an open grave.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If I recall correctly, you also go to Tampa every now and then. Next time you're down there, try Cigar City's Marshall Zhukov Imperial Stout.

I go south of there to Sarasota/Venice, but have a brother in Seminole, which is just across the bay from Tampa. If I can remember the name, I'll try it...Cigar City is easy enough. I have a cousin who married in to the Marshall name....I can probably remember that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Gennese Cream Ale

I was going to say man, when I first read Genny Cream Ale, I though of the 36 hour Headache from Hell Beer. If you drank that to any degree on a Saturday night, you went to bed on Sunday with a headache and hoped like heck it was gone on Monday morning.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
S
Punch, have you scored a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout?
I really wanna get my hands on a bottle but apparently they fly off the shelves.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Yeah, I have a particular love for a lot of stouts and porters but Guiness will always be a good option (especially on tap).

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Gennese Cream Ale

I was going to say man, when I first read Genny Cream Ale, I though of the 36 hour Headache from Hell Beer. If you drank that to any degree on a Saturday night, you went to bed on Sunday with a headache and hoped like heck it was gone on Monday morning.

Yeah boy... actually it was the first beer I ever got drunk on so it holds a special place

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
I use to drink a lot of Gennese Cream Ale, never had any bad side effects or hangovers. However Rolling Rock always left me feeling like crap the next morning.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #894063 07/16/14 11:11 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I use to drink a lot of Gennese Cream Ale, never had any bad side effects or hangovers. However Rolling Rock always left me feeling like crap the next morning.

I actually have drank both many many many many times and still like them both very much. I just dont see them around here.

Joe Thomas #73
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I really wanna get my hands on a bottle but apparently they fly off the shelves.

I managed to get one of those (a buddy brought one back for me from somewhere else since it's 15% and can't be sold in Ohio). It was FANTASTIC. They also have a Bourbon County Barley Wine. Also good, but not as good as the stout. Both are quite boozy if you don't mind that style. Big fan of those brews. Broke my freakin' heart when AB InBev bought them out.

#gmstrong
GMdawg #894065 07/17/14 09:29 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Yep. That's another Headache in a Bottle.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BADdog #894066 07/17/14 12:17 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Stone Brewing has a Smoked Porter that's delicious (and very light for a porter). That beer, all by itself is worthy of mention on this thread. This summer, however, they've come out with a Chipotle pepper version. I think it has just enough spicy to appeal to everyone who enjoys craft beers.

If you really like the spicy, there is a brewery out in San Diego called Ballast Point (they're small, not sure how far east they distribute). They are just starting to bottle their Habanero Sculpin Imperial IPA. Sculpin is a popular, big and delicious IPA that really took off here in California. The habanero version is HOT. I like it, but I also can only drink one of those in a sitting.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I haven't seen any at the Binny's I go to. The Goose Island stuff flys off the shelves. It's too bad the restaurants don't sell them (well, in to-go formats).

[Linked Image]

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Unfortunately I like just about all beer. Except for Rodenbach (super sour and wierd)

pbr - go to beer, cheap, delicious (and its nutritious!)
White Raja IPA - when I want something super hoppyI
Lagunitas IPA - not too hoppy, major depth.
Summer Shady - I feel bad drinking a flavoured beer but it taste good and works perfect on a hot summer day.
Weyerbacher pumpkin ale - man this is some good stuff, hard to find in fall.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Stone Brewing has a Smoked Porter that's delicious (and very light for a porter). That beer, all by itself is worthy of mention on this thread. This summer, however, they've come out with a Chipotle pepper version. I think it has just enough spicy to appeal to everyone who enjoys craft beers.

If you really like the spicy, there is a brewery out in San Diego called Ballast Point (they're small, not sure how far east they distribute). They are just starting to bottle their Habanero Sculpin Imperial IPA. Sculpin is a popular, big and delicious IPA that really took off here in California. The habanero version is HOT. I like it, but I also can only drink one of those in a sitting.

LOVE Ballast Point. That Habanero Sculpin is a little bit of overkill for me. Have you been to Lost Abbey when they release their Hop-15? Man, I thought that stuff fresh was just as good as Pliny the Younger. Their barrel-aged Old Viscosity was superb as well. Probably my favorite brewery next to Cigar City. San Diego may be the best beer city along with Grand Rapids IMHO.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
They also brew batches of Serrano Pale Ale, which is a little more my speed. That isn't bottled, though, so you have to go to the brewery.

There's another small brewery a little up north in Carlsbad called Aztec Brewing. The are very small and new, but their claim to (limited) fame is their Chipotle IPA, which is pretty good. Their Red IPA is my favorite from them, though.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good deal, man. If I ever get back it there, I'll have to check it out. Sometimes you just can't beat a west coast IPA.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Admittedly, I'm late on this.

General "go-to" beer:Miller Lite. Never Bud Light. Rather stay sober. Although admittedly the new Bud Light Lime Razzberita is tasty and packs a punch. But I digress...

Best I've had recently...
Shotgun Betty (Lonerider)
Sofie (Goose Island)
Blueberry Blonde (Big Muddy)
Shock Top Twisted Pretzel Wheat (Anheuser) --- wait for this to take off, you heard it here first
Pear Naked (Fox Barrel)
Reposado Pear (Wyder's) --- Pear cider aged in tequila barrels
Kentucky Peach Barrel Wheat Ale (Lexington Brew Co)
Thin Mint Milk Stout (Fatheads) --- exactly...a stout with a hint of Girl Scout Cookie Thin Mints

A good friend on this board recently drove about 18 hours from Dallas and brought up some Shiner, and Shiner Ruby Redbird, both very good since we don't get that up here much.

Maybe the best beer I've ever had was during a Browns away trip to St. Louis in '07. Morgan St. Brewery made a Pumpkin Wheat. Absolutely amazing.

GLB just cracked Oktoberfest this week, can't wait to get that in my belly soon. And next weekend at Burning River Fest, a small batch of fresh Xmas Ale (though Fatheads is also unleashing Holly Jolly, which was admittedly better last year)

Cheers!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Portland now has growler filling stations. Buy a growler, drink it down, bring it back and refill it from any of the 40-50 taps of local brews. No on site consumption except for samples. Just tap beer stores. These places are popping up around town over the past year. Portland's craft brewing business is booming.

[Linked Image]
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
They just had a feature in United's airline magazine about how great Portland's craft brew scene is. I want to head (down) that way when we play Seattle next year.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
There's a place called the Hotel Jupiter that use to offer a package that'd set guests up with a loaner bike and a guide to nearby breweries and micropubs. There's also local brewery/hotel options by McMenamin's. A local brewer that started buying old schools and wharehouses and such and turning them into cool hotel/brewery/music venue/par 3 or disc golf/resorts. The Edgefield being the flagship. Now a distillery, winery, and brewery it was formerly the county poor farm built in 1911. Check it out... http://www.mcmenamins.com/mobile/search/...query=edgefield
Great place to stay. The wife or girlfriend would love it too.
Awesome par 3 course.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 07/18/14 12:10 AM.

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Lots of summer/early fall concerts as well at the amphitheater at Edgefield.

To add on to what PortlandDawg posted...the options are virtually limitless. There are beervana tours, brewcycle, brewbus, walking pub tours, etc... to visit the 50+ breweries in city limits, plus growleries as he noted and some great beer halls (Saraveza, Apex, Baileys, Bottles, Green Dragon, Belmont Station, Hophouse, etc...) and many, many, many bars/restaurants with incredible beer lists.

If you end up coming down, I'll be more than happy to introduce you to a few local brews...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... The Beer Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard