Next Thread
Print Thread
#895670 07/18/14 01:00 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

All Pro
All Pro
I have a seat, and lots of memories, all good.

GO BROWNS!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Was this a sixth graders project or something? Very poorly made.

Could of titled this "Cliff Notes video on the history of Old Muni Stadium."

Sorry if I'm being "that guy" just what I thought when I watched this video.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
P
Legend
Legend
P
While it wasn't designed all that well compared to modern stadiums, a lot of winning memories were built there that I'll never forget. A lot of quality football was played there.

Hopefully before I die, I'll be able to say the same thing about the new stadium.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I know it was poorly made, just thought it was a walk down memory lane for some of us older fans.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Municipal Stadium was built in 1931. The video said the Cleveland Browns started playing there shortly after it was built. Yeah, 15 years after it was built! The Browns played their first season in 1946.

Other than that I was a cool video to watch. I miss that place. The way I felt walking up to the stadium was like it was holy ground. But then I'm a bit over the top sometimes.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
My favorite memory of the old stadium by far was when we were in atom league. that was for 7-9 yr olds. before the game all the little ball players marched around the field. all the players from the white sox and Indians stood in the dugouts and applauded us as we walked by.. Ya Nellie Fox, Herb Score, Rocky, they were clapping for us.. I thought that was way cool.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Even though I am a way bigger Browns fan than I am a Indians fan, most of my memories from The Lady on The Lake are Tribe related.

As a young teen growing up on the near west side I could get $5 for mowing a lawn and be able to ride The RTA bus both ways and get a Jr General Admission ticket for $3. Use to sit in the left field stands and heckle the other team LFer. The best was Mel Hall, he used to yell back at us.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Even though I am a way bigger Browns fan than I am a Indians fan, most of my memories from The Lady on The Lake are Tribe related.

As a young teen growing up on the near west side I could get $5 for mowing a lawn and be able to ride The RTA bus both ways and get a Jr General Admission ticket for $3. Use to sit in the left field stands and heckle the other team LFer. The best was Mel Hall, he used to yell back at us.

KING

Cool story! Memories...........

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We used to bring UPC's of cereal boxes for indans tickets.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Was this a sixth graders project or something? Very poorly made.

Could of titled this "Cliff Notes video on the history of Old Muni Stadium."

Sorry if I'm being "that guy" just what I thought when I watched this video.

It was truly poorly made.. but still fun to watch..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
I really miss the old yard. It was a dump, but it was my home away from home when I was a kid. We used to take the 23 bus (W73rd) to Public Square and walk to Muny for Indians' games. We'd buy bleacher seats for less than a buck and eat sandwiches from a brown bag. Later, as a teen, I would wait for "twi-night doubleheaders", and take the bus, bringing along my baloney sandwiches and a paperback book to read between games in the bleachers. Same thing after I got married; I'd come home from work and say "lets go to the game" and off we'd go with a short stop at KFC or White Castle for carryout to bring in with us. (I had 'upgraded" by then to $7.00 upper reserve, always section 23, always higher up for a wider view and room to spread our stuff out.) Last thing I remember is the profound sadness I felt watching the wrecking ball take her down in stages - I worked on E40th and South Marginal Dr so my ride to and from work on the Shoreway always took me right by Muny. Another landmark in my life gone, replaced by a shopping mall stadium.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I really miss the old yard. It was a dump, but it was my home away from home when I was a kid. We used to take the 23 bus (W73rd) to Public Square and walk to Muny for Indians' games. We'd buy bleacher seats for less than a buck and eat sandwiches from a brown bag. Later, as a teen, I would wait for "twi-night doubleheaders", and take the bus, bringing along my baloney sandwiches and a paperback book to read between games in the bleachers. Same thing after I got married; I'd come home from work and say "lets go to the game" and off we'd go with a short stop at KFC or White Castle for carryout to bring in with us. (I had 'upgraded" by then to $7.00 upper reserve, always section 23, always higher up for a wider view and room to spread our stuff out.) Last thing I remember is the profound sadness I felt watching the wrecking ball take her down in stages - I worked on E40th and South Marginal Dr so my ride to and from work on the Shoreway always took me right by Muny. Another landmark in my life gone, replaced by a shopping mall stadium.

Yep. the 23 bus down Clark Ave!! We used to catch that, the 79 on Fulton, or the 20A or 20B down W25th.

I worked as a vendor when I was 16, as a matter of fact I was there on April 10th 1990(my 16th B day) when they tried to have a night opening day and it was snowed out. I was there working the night Canseco had the ball bounce off his head and over the fence. I saw Sandy Alomars Major League debut.

The place was a crap hole in its later years, but it was our crap hole

D
Legend
Legend
D
I must have been 9 or 10 when I saw Frank Howard hit a blast off Sam McDowell into the runway ramp between the bleachers and the left field stands. Nobody ever homered into the bleachers - ever - but that ball would have been about 15 rows up the bleachers if Howard hadn't pulled it so much. Hard to believe a man his size (6'7, 270lbs) could have such a quick bat ( McDowell had 100mph gas). Later - I think it was in that game - with Howard coming up in the 8th with a man on - Alvin Dark pulled his 2B guy and moved McDowell to 2B. The relief pitcher got Howard to ground out to short who threw the ball to McDowell at 2B for the inning ending force. Crowd went crazy.

Legend
Legend
The old stadium gave us a real home field advantage. The way the stadium was built, it could ge LOUD!

This new stadium seems to dissipate sound, as opposed to allowing it to cascade down in a way that helps the home team. The home field advantage has been lost.

I hated getting stuck in a seat behind a pillar in the old stadium, or many other issues that caused problems actually seeing the game ...... but in so many other ways, that old, decrepit and disgusting pit was a far, far superior venue for a football game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its easy to romanticize in hindsight, but there's no denying the weight of history you'd feel walking through Cleveland Stadium. It was in the place, and all around it.

Speaking of how LOUD it could get there - I'll never forget the Sunday in January, 1987 when it went dead silent, and I'll never forget the sound of footsteps, and nothing else, as fans filed out after "The Drive". That defeat was crushing in so many ways for Cleveland fans. I know it took me a long time to get over - ah hell, I'm still not over it.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

The old stadium gave us a real home field advantage. The way the stadium was built, it could ge LOUD!

This new stadium seems to dissipate sound, as opposed to allowing it to cascade down in a way that helps the home team. The home field advantage has been lost.

I hated getting stuck in a seat behind a pillar in the old stadium, or many other issues that caused problems actually seeing the game ...... but in so many other ways, that old, decrepit and disgusting pit was a far, far superior venue for a football game.

It's why I am hopeful in this remodel the place gets louder. My thinking is the scoreboards being larger and more over the field along with closing up the corners with seats will trap more sound.

I always buy a large coke and pretty much dump the Coke, wash out the cup, then knock out the bottom of the cup to make a megaphone. Directional sound is amplified.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I swear Muni got so loud at times that you could feel that building swaying. I was there for the playoff game against Buffalo in 90 or 91 and when Metcalf took that kickoff back that place was rumbling, and then when Clay picked off Kelly to seal the game I thought that place was coming down it was so loud.

The new stadium sucks

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That may be the case, and I'm not saying Seahawks fans raent the loudest, but I'd say that retractable roof in Seattle allows for greater acoustics.

I actually dont think it's retractable, but that overhang does keep the sound in

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
I don't miss the wadding pool from the old stadium

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Those troughs filled up fast!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

yeah, those were the worst bathrooms I think I've ever been in.. EVER.. and let's not even talk about the smell OMG

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
All Pro
All Pro
You had to wear rubbers to the game. There were some great fights in the bathrooms during Browns - Squeeler games.

GO BROWNS!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

yeah, those were the worst bathrooms I think I've ever been in.. EVER.. and let's not even talk about the smell OMG

It's why I used the womens room.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's why I used the womens room.

How did they squat over those troughs?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Wide legs.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It was like peeing in a huge clogged up bathtub with 70000 of your friends lol

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

You had to wear rubbers to the game.

Well I was there to watch the Browns, not troll for women. But I guess just in case......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Way better than that heaping pile we have now.

I'm really too young to have a lot of memories there, but you can just tell by how it's built that it held sound better, shielded you from the wind, sun, rain and snow. I hate our current stadium, it is one of the worst in the entire league.

My gut tells me we won't be winners until we demolish that piece of garbage.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

You had to wear rubbers to the game.

Well I was there to watch the Browns, not troll for women. But I guess just in case......

Wadding rubbers.

GO BROWNS!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Way better than that heaping pile we have now.

I'm really too young to have a lot of memories there, but you can just tell by how it's built that it held sound better, shielded you from the wind, sun, rain and snow. I hate our current stadium, it is one of the worst in the entire league.

My gut tells me we won't be winners until we demolish that piece of garbage.

I don't know man...this stadium is way better, and it isn't all that good,

Muni was a barren as it gets. The place was pretty bad.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, Muni was a dump. We had some good times there w/some good teams, but the stadium sucked.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, it was the winning teams that made the Muni a beloved memory. There was not much to love about that place otherwise.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I remember stories I heard as a kid of the visitors' lockerroom. Not sure if the conditions were worse for fans or the visiting team. It was an armpit, but it was our armpit. Hated to see the Ol' Lady go. Proud of how loud it could get in there. Not a lot of memories, but sweet ones, like Leroy Kelly in the mud pounding the power sweep and Warfield catches that were Beauty itself.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Yeah, it was the winning teams that made the Muni a beloved memory. There was not much to love about that place otherwise.

That pretty much sums it up.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Speaking of how LOUD it could get there - I'll never forget the Sunday in January, 1987 when it went dead silent, and I'll never forget the sound of footsteps, and nothing else, as fans filed out after "The Drive". That defeat was crushing in so many ways for Cleveland fans. I know it took me a long time to get over - ah hell, I'm still not over it.

I was there also, I must have sat there with my head in my lap for what seem's like hour's as My best friend try'ed to comfort me.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum rembering the old stadium

Link Copied to Clipboard