Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

The good news for Tony Dungy is that once upon a time enough people in power, be it in football … education … government … wherever, decided that they should empower African-Americans with the opportunities they deserved. They did this no matter whether things would go "totally smooth" or cause "things to happen" with the bigots who wanted to cling to the old days.

At some point they said someone such as Dungy deserved to go to school with white people, play football with white people, even coach football like white people once exclusively did, even at the highest levels of the NFL. They rejected the ancient concept that blacks either weren't deserving/capable of such opportunities. Even more important, they ignored the idiotic idea that until every last racist was completely and wholly comfortable with a black man playing, learning or working alongside them (let alone be the boss) then such opportunity should continue to be withheld.

The smartest people pushed the dumbest aside and decided to just let the best person win.

And Tony Dungy won. From high school in Jackson, Mich., to college at the University of Minnesota, to the NFL as both a Super Bowl-winning player and coach. It continued as a best-selling author, coveted and highly compensated speaker and now high-profile analyst on NBC, front and center on the No. 1 television show in America.

Despite all of that, Dungy decided to throw gasoline on the training camp story of the year by telling the Tampa Tribune that unlike the St. Louis Rams, he never would have drafted Michael Sam, the NFL's first openly homosexual player, because someone (who, he didn't say) might not handle it so well.

"I wouldn't have taken him,'' Dungy told the Tribune. "Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it … It's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.''

This thinking is devoid of courage – in every possible way. And that's what makes this so pathetic.

Dungy has a well-earned reputation as a straight shooter and a stand-up guy. It's almost impossible to play and work in the NFL without self-belief and heart. He is a powerful figure. He says a lot of smart things. He knows tough times and consistently finds time for people going through them.

He should be a lot better than this.

Dungy is an outspoken conservative Christian and if he were to say that he wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam because the Bible that Dungy believes in condemns Sam's lifestyle that would be … well, that would be ridiculous, hypocritical and wrong also, but at least it would seemingly jibe with Dungy's sometimes expressed beliefs.

Sometimes being the operative word.

Dungy, is, after all, a guy who has drafted, hired, signed, coached, championed and personally mentored scores of players and coaches who routinely engaged in Biblical definitions of sin, let alone behavior that goes against modern societal standards. He was (rightfully) a huge proponent, for instance, of Michael Vick deserving a second chance after incarceration for the operation of a dog-fighting ring.

Still, at least it would be some kind of principled (if misguided) stance. At least it would've been honest.

This is actually worse. This is a complete cop-out. This is Dungy bending to the beliefs that he knows are wrong simply because those who hold them may – may – find doing the right thing difficult.

This is Dungy not standing up for his own convictions. It's Dungy using the same old buzzwords that caused society to move so slowly to grant equal rights and opportunities to minorities of all kinds, choosing what's easy over what's right (even if it likely will be easier for the generation of guys who actually play than an old man like Dungy realizes).

Integrated third grades weren't "smooth." A black man on the Dodgers caused "things to happen." The first female executives in the business world weren't welcome by all. Lots of people were aghast at the thought of minorities owning homes, especially in their neighborhood. Politicians that didn't look like the Founding Fathers were upsetting to some. Many bristled against the idea of blacks, Hispanics, Asians, women, gays, whatever on factory lines, boardrooms, school boards and on military front lines.

This isn't even worth arguing. Caving to the most ignorant and obstinate among us is an embarrassment and should never, ever, be the basis for anything. Ever.

For an NFL executive to not draft an openly gay player because someone in his locker room or fan base or anywhere might – might – not handle it so well is some kind of Jim Crow-era awful.

The good news for everyone other than Tony Dungy is that Tony Dungy doesn't draft players or coach players anymore. Dungy merely talks for a living and this week he'll deal with the reaction to his talking – there will be plenty of criticism, not to mention support via tortured straw man arguments, political opportunism and misguided admiration.

This isn't about politics though. This isn't about religion. This isn't about what anyone thinks of Michael Sam. This is about Tony Dungy sadly acknowledging he'd care more about someone's narrow mindedness than his own realization that everyone deserves a fair shot.

Mercifully Dungy is from the old NFL mindset rooted in a dying segment of society, like those who once wouldn't draft, hire, educate or vote for an African-American. Fortunately there are more than enough coaches, executives, players, fans and people these days who think otherwise.

So Michael Sam will report to training camp this week. If he can play, he will play. If he can't, he won't.

Seems reasonable.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-dungy-...-195216393.html

I am so sick of the double standard. It's horrific to be honest about homosexuals and African Americans, but it is okay to bash Mexicans and Native Americans.

Kiss my butt w/your stupid, hypocritical political correctness.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

"I wouldn't have taken him,'' Dungy told the Tribune. "Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it … It's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.''

I wonder if that would have been his position as far as having the 1st black player, or coach, or GM, in a particular sport?

I can understand his position, because I don't think that this particular player's talent is worth the circus ....... but it's a rather thin line to be walked.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I said that 30 years ago and I have felt better ever since lol

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
From my perspective Dungy is just saying that the dude's talent is not worth the headache as a coach. It's not because he's gay, it's because he's not very good and the cameras/media/attention could destroy the team.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I can understand his position, because I don't think that this particular player's talent is worth the circus ....... but it's a rather thin line to be walked.

All those who broke the barriers before him (Sams) were undeniable great talents that could no longer be overlooked. Sams is not one of those. He's merely a guy. A guy who brings controversy in his overt manner. He has used this as a podium for his cause and for that reason alone I would not have drafted him.

None of the greats before him did this. They all kept a low profile and proved their case by outstanding performance. Dungy included. By Sams using this opportunity as a platform one has to be concerned what is more important to him at this junction of his potential career, his cause or football.

Playing great football would be good for his cause. Promoting his cause to the detriment of his football will result in his cause suffering badly for him and all those who follow.

I wouldn't have drafted him either. He may prove me wrong. But drafting a player should be based on talent and not on doing, or the fear of not doing the PC thing.

The idiot who wrote that article trying to paint Tony Dungy as one who doesn't appreciate the opportunity he earned and was thereby given but is not willing to grant the same considerations to another is way off base in his evaluation of Dungy's comment.

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Media is painting a picture to make Dungy look bad, because he is a conservative Christian.

Quote:

A black man on the Dodgers caused "things to happen."

This is why this fluff piece is lame, they are trying to make the the point that MS is the same as Jackie Robinson but here is the problem, Jackie Robinson was a game changer, he broke barriers not because he was black but because he was a great baseball player who happened to be black. Is MS a great football player? no(not yet). It has nothing to do with him being gay it has every thing to do with skill set particularly his combine numbers.

If Michael Sam had the talent of Clowney every team would have tried to pick him twice because it would help the team win games. If he did have the talent as Clowney and he dropped because he was gay shame on the NFL but that is not the case.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
You, ddub, and Dawgs4Life are pretty much saying the same thing and I agree w/all of you.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They gave this guy the Arthur Ash award. Previous winners:

Muhamed Ali
Nelson Mandela
Pat Tillman
Patt Summitt

and Michael Sam......

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Media is painting a picture to make Dungy look bad, because he is a conservative Christian.

Quote:

A black man on the Dodgers caused "things to happen."

This is why this fluff piece is lame, they are trying to make the the point that MS is the same as Jackie Robinson but here is the problem, Jackie Robinson was a game changer, he broke barriers not because he was black but because he was a great baseball player who happened to be black. Is MS a great football player? no(not yet). It has nothing to do with him being gay it has every thing to do with skill set particularly his combine numbers.

If Michael Sam had the talent of Clowney every team would have tried to pick him twice because it would help the team win games. If he did have the talent as Clowney and he dropped because he was gay shame on the NFL but that is not the case.

Well said ...

If Johnny Manziel was a 6th-7th round talent, most teams would probably avoid him because of the "distraction" he brings, and nobody would bat an eye.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

I am so sick of the double standard. It's horrific to be honest about homosexuals and African Americans, but it is okay to bash Mexicans and Native Americans.

I know. Imagine how all the gay afro-mexican indians feel.

It really doesn't matter what changes... some group will always be excluded or feel slighted for some reason.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Which if Tony were to elaborate is what I bet he meant.. if Sammy Watkins was gay, he would have taken him because the potential benefit outweighed the potential circus. Tony is speaking as a coach, I'm sure if his GM had drafted him that Tony would have treated him with respect and given him every opportunity to succeed.. but the fact that Tony the coach didn't want to invite that into his training camp seems like a reasonable position to take.

And if people think this is no big deal.. I read the other day that Michael Sams is like #6 in jersey sales off the NFL official site.. A 7th rounder who hasn't even started camp yet...

yebat' Putin
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I read the other day that Michael Sams is like #6 in jersey sales off the NFL official site.. A 7th rounder who hasn't even started camp yet...

And the Cavs have a jersey hanging in the rafters of a guy who averaged 5 points a game for them.

The NBA just drafted a guy who will never play a minute in the league.

I still see Spielman jerseys at Browns games.

It's obviously symbolic.

As for Dungy...I don't have a huge problem with what he said. He probably should have elaborated a little more, but hindsight is 20/20.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's obviously symbolic.

That's kind of the point I was making...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I may be the weird one here .... but I would never buy any NFL jersey that wasn't a Browns jersey. (it doesn't matter whose jersey is was)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I may be the weird one here .... but I would never buy any NFL jersey that wasn't a Browns jersey. (it doesn't matter whose jersey is was)

I'm the same way... I own a lot of texans stuff that I got from the team but I would only buy Browns gear.... Even if my favorite college player went to another team I'm not buying his jersey....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hope you're not the weird one...

#GMSTRONG
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Dungy's only being attacked for speaking common sense.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
No, he's wrong, he sounds like a bigot, and most of you do as well.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'd probably disagree with you if you could wear an NFL jersey in normal recreational activities and if Reebok didn't have 75% mark ups once Nike got the NFL contract.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You are weird.. but that's not why.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

No, he's wrong, he sounds like a bigot, and most of you do as well. [/quote
I can live with that.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:

Care to expound on that?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

No, it was common sense when people said they didn't want to put up with the circus that came with Tim Tebow... this is completely different. I'm not sure how, but it must be.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

No, it was common sense when people said they didn't want to put up with the circus that came with Tim Tebow... this is completely different. I'm not sure how, but it must be.

You sound like a bigot. Is it because he's a Christisn?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

So would you be comfortable calling the head coaches and general managers of 27 NFL teams (including the Browns) bigots as well? Dungy said he "wouldn't" take Sam, 27 teams "didn't" take Sam.

27 because there were 4 teams left after the Rams. But even St. Louis waited until the very end to use a compensatory pick, so even they passed in the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 2 picks in the 7th round (they had 4 total and took Sam with the third)

As a side note....the word "Bigot" is completely overused for such minor things that I think it's losing its shock value in my opinion.

[Linked Image from i67.photobucket.com]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Muhamed Ali
Nelson Mandela
Pat Tillman
Patt Summitt

and Michael Sam......

Wait...Michael Sam got the Ash award?

That's just stOOpid.

Had Sam "come out" earlier, or all of his own volition, he should have received some recognition, but certainly not such a prestigious award. Taking it a step further, he didn't come out because he was brave, but because all the scouts knew he was gay so he decided to get out in front of it.

Maybe I've become immune or just cold-shouldered to all the PC'ness of the world, but all I see is a 7th rounder, borderline prospect getting WAY too much attention because he's gay. The world has moved past such things in my opinion, and it's a giant mushrooming story over nothing. I don't care if he's gay or not. I do care that he'd get an award he didn't deserve because he's gay. I'd care if he got an award he didn't deserve because he's black. I'd care if he got an award he didn't deserve because he had brown eyes, or big feet, or could tell a joke better than someone else.

The Arthur Ashe award? To Sam? That's a joke and whoever the people were who pushed for such a thing should step down. He isn't doing anything courageous. All he did was get out in front of the story before it got out in front of him. He was about to be outed so he outed himself first.

The whole thing kinda makes me sick.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yep, it was about to come out in the media, so Sam decided to beat them to the punch. He wasn't all that gutty. He was not that courageous. He made a business decision. How he gets the Arthur Ashe award is beyond me.

Our country is so fickle and swallow. It's all a charade.

D
Legend
Legend
D
This is the brutal truth and unfortunately, the exact way I see things to. Someone, or some people, need fired.

It is a joke. Not deserving of an award.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Muhamed Ali
Nelson Mandela
Pat Tillman
Patt Summitt

and Michael Sam......

Wait...Michael Sam got the Ash award?

That's just stOOpid.

Had Sam "come out" earlier, or all of his own volition, he should have received some recognition, but certainly not such a prestigious award. Taking it a step further, he didn't come out because he was brave, but because all the scouts knew he was gay so he decided to get out in front of it.

Maybe I've become immune or just cold-shouldered to all the PC'ness of the world, but all I see is a 7th rounder, borderline prospect getting WAY too much attention because he's gay. The world has moved past such things in my opinion, and it's a giant mushrooming story over nothing. I don't care if he's gay or not. I do care that he'd get an award he didn't deserve because he's gay. I'd care if he got an award he didn't deserve because he's black. I'd care if he got an award he didn't deserve because he had brown eyes, or big feet, or could tell a joke better than someone else.

The Arthur Ashe award? To Sam? That's a joke and whoever the people were who pushed for such a thing should step down. He isn't doing anything courageous. All he did was get out in front of the story before it got out in front of him. He was about to be outed so he outed himself first.

The whole thing kinda makes me sick.

Well said OT. Well said.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
So, Sam came out to his teammates a couple years ago IIRC. At least before his last season started.

Before any of that was in the media, though, he was at times looked at as a second or third round guy in the media. He was co-DPOY in the SEC. Personally, I didn't think he was that good after taking a good look at him late in the season and after the season wrapped. But he wasn't a nobody just trying to get attention. It was coming out, so to speak.

Wanna be upset with ESPN for him garnering accolades that outstrip his draft status, fine. But he's not an opportunist

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tony Dungy is Not Courageous?

Link Copied to Clipboard