Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

pettine stated yesterday that Manziel is farther along in the playbook than expected.

Well that is a positive so it's only a "fluff" piece.

Remember JM is a drunk cokehead that nails women two, three at a time.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
V
Legend
Legend
V
One thing that I have noticed about Manziel and no one really talks about is that I think he is an intelligent man. I don't know how book smart he is, but he seems to be one of those guys who can figure things out easily. I think he processes information quickly. That was evident when Gruden interviewed him.

He also has that innate confidence in himself that is very rare. I don't think it is contrived to cover up weaknesses or displayed because the world expects us to be confident. I think the guy is truly confident and it gives him a maturity [in certain areas] that serves him well in manly pursuits like football.

I think it would be foolish to not take this kid's chance at greatness seriously.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've said all along that Manziel will either redefine the QB position and be a Hall of Fame type player or he'll fall on his face.

I still believe that.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
JM needs to grow up which I believe he will. Of course Hoyer is the starter for now because he's the one with NFL experience. It also means the Browns didn't make a mistake in drafting JM. It means the vet has the advantage. Nothing shocking about that!

I believe JM will win the starting job eventually. The question is will he be able to run like he did in college? His first test will be aganist the Lions, a team with a good DL but bad secondary.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think it would be foolish to not take this kid's chance at greatness seriously.

Looking at the QB's that have been great...most were ones that were not expected to be....Montana Brady Unitas Roethlisberger Favre

there are only 3 qb's drafted in the first round that made it to the H.O.F... Aikman..Bradshaw and Elway...

I like listening to JM and for some reason believe he may be great... I also like BH and hope he can have some great years.

as far as foolish...I will just be cautious and hope to see greatness

Legend
Legend
'Browns rookie Johnny Manziel leaves doubts of whether he understands reality of NFL life'

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-rook...omments-postbox

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It seems to me that article's main objective is to continue the JF controversy on a high level.

Personally I think Manzel is doing fine. Will he be ready to be the starter? I don't know. I doubt it. But there's no disgrace in that.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

It seems to me that article's main objective is to continue the JF controversy on a high level.

Personally I think Manzel is doing fine. Will he be ready to be the starter? I don't know. I doubt it. But there's no disgrace in that.

Agreed.

I find it interesting how much press Manziel gets...........it's like the press is just waiting for photo op. He's definitely getting pub. And that makes me wonder "why"?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I read that article this morning and was thinking of posting it, but it was so slanted that I chose not to. Not saying 3rd and 20 shouldn't have posted it, but I think the article is very one sided and designed to criticize Manziel.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Highest jersey sales, the press is going to follow him regardless. He's like a Tebow circus. I think Pettine and company have handled it as good as they possible can.

I know I'm a little burnt out about hearing about him. He's not even thrown one NFL pass and it's like he's Peyton Manning or someone.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Highest jersey sales, the press is going to follow him regardless. He's like a Tebow circus. I think Pettine and company have handled it as good as they possible can.

I know I'm a little burnt out about hearing about him. He's not even thrown one NFL pass and it's like he's Peyton Manning or someone.

Ray Farmer & Mike Pettine knew it when they drafted him. I wonder if the media circus that follows him is part of the reason that he fell to #22.

I mean, the Cowboys had them ranked as their top player when they were on the clock but passed. Too attention-grabbing for Jerry Jones? Really?

I don't dislike Manziel, but I'm going to be perfectly frank, I would have rather had some other players instead of him. That's all water under the bridge though.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think people would be shocked at just how many players spend their time exactly as Manziel has during the offseason. I follow Darnell Dockett on Twitter, that dude is at a strip club every weekend.

The difference? Docket doesn't generate Website clicks and retweets.

The only thing that concerns me about Manziel is his size. I think he is going to prove to be the best QB we've drafted since our return, which isn't saying much, but I like him and don't think all this offseason stuff is going to matter in the long run.

Legend
Legend
Johnny Manziel Camp Daily: July 29

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/133139/johnny-manziel-camp-daily-july-29

By Pat McManamon | ESPN.com

THE WORK: Wednesday was not a particularly good day for either quarterback, as the defense responded to prodding from head coach Mike Pettine to produce a much more lively, active and chippy practice. That beings said, Manziel has not shown the spark in practice that produced the glittering numbers in college. Any neutral observer who has watched practice has left with the impression that Brian Hoyer is far ahead in the quarterback competition. Manziel has taken steps, but none strong enough to firmly take the job. He looks like a rookie learning an offense and struggling as he goes -- while usually facing the second-team defense.

GOOD THROW: This was a defensive day, with the defense playing aggressive and with energy. The offense did not match that energy, Manziel among them. To say he did not have a good throw probably isn’t fair; coach’s film could probably find one. But there was not one single throw that jumped out live. He did complete a lot of passes in five-on-five (mainly short), when the team drills took place he struggled.

BAD THROW: It might have been a sack live because Manziel stepped up to avoid a rush. But when he stepped up, he had a chance to complete a throw. Instead, he sailed it well over the receiver’s head and into the hands of Jordan Poyer, who would have had a clear path to the end had the pick been in a game.

THE WORD: “I don’t react to that because I want to know the why.” – coach Mike Pettine on how he reacts to interceptions thrown in practice.START

CHART: On a 1-to-10 scale, with 10 being Manziel certainly starts the opener -- Manziel started with a 3, dropped to a 1, went back to a 3 and Tuesday moves to a 2.

(end)

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Wednesday was not a particularly good day for either quarterback

Kinda scary since today is Tuesday .......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

unless he has ESP

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

He must be going in for a frontal lobotomy on Wednesday and was just preparing his article for tomorrow...

No one will know the difference and it's not something that we don't already expect.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Johnny Manziel Camp Daily

This is getting ridiculous...

Quote:

CHART: On a 1-to-10 scale, with 10 being Manziel certainly starts the opener -- Manziel started with a 3, dropped to a 1, went back to a 3 and Tuesday moves to a 2.

See comment above.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Well, at least tomorrow will be Wednesday (clears throat)...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for that laugh.

Legend
Legend
I better just post the link to this story:

'Hall of Fame receiver Andre Reed rips Johnny Manziel, dropping some choice expletives on the rookie'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/07/hall_of_fame_receiver_andre_re.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looks like someone wants 15 more minutes....

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I better just post the link to this story:

'Hall of Fame receiver Andre Reed rips Johnny Manziel, dropping some choice expletives on the rookie'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/07/hall_of_fame_receiver_andre_re.html

Wow... classy stuff from Reed. Man that forehead... he needs a couple bolts in his neck.

Wonder if he speech will that professional... oh well to each his own opinion... but the F bombs are a little over the top.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Looks like someone wants 15 more minutes....

Also cursed out Bon Jovi. Because nothing says tough guy like cursing out Bon Jovi.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Man that forehead... he needs a couple bolts in his neck.

had to wipe coffee from my monitor before I could respond.....

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, me too.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
J/C Reed may need to eat his words someday. But who really cares. Besides Buffalo has the worse fans in football when traveling to other NFL stadiums. Now they can take their crap to Toronto as well

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I absolutely do not want a long time and storied franchise like the Bills moving away.

They have never really been a top team in terms of attendance, but they have routinely put 62-70K fans in the seats per game for the past 5 or so years. They support their team, and don't deserve to have it taken from them.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I absolutely do not want a long time and storied franchise like the Bills moving away.

They have never really been a top team in terms of attendance, but they have routinely put 62-70K fans in the seats per game for the past 5 or so years. They support their team, and don't deserve to have it taken from them.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

+1, they voted against our move. I expect us to do the same exact thing.

It's got nothing to do with attendance, much more to do with TV Money and possibly stadium quality. But the stadium is being renovated, so I would assume TV Money. And that is about as lame as it can be

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jags or bills wil be heading to London

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

jags lol

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

No NFL teams will move to London.

Now, there will probably be one moving to LA within a year or two. Jacksonville is a good candidate but they would have to restructure the divisions to make it work. Las Vegas could also be in line for a team at some point although that might cause some crowding in the West.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The logistics of any team moving to london, yikes. You think Houston wants to fly to London? Then fly to Say, San Diego to play the next week?

I don't see how a London team will ever work.

M
Legend
Legend
M
There will be a team in London within the next ten years.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

The logistics of any team moving to london, yikes. You think Houston wants to fly to London? Then fly to Say, San Diego to play the next week?

The only way i see it is to maybe have them open on the road for the first 3 weeks, and stay over here, then go home for 3-4 weeks. The teams that go over there to play then have their bye week. Then repeat a similar cycle the rest of the season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The only way i see it is to maybe have them open on the road for the first 3 weeks, and stay over here, then go home for 3-4 weeks. The teams that go over there to play then have their bye week. Then repeat a similar cycle the rest of the season.

That sounds like a disaster. That's like a 8 hour flight from NEW YORK! Much less (lets say it is Jacksonville) Indy, Tennessee or Houston. Then like i said, they are in the AFC, what happens when they play Oakland or San Diego? If I am a free agent, no way I am moving to London to play and as soon as anyone can offer me a similar contract, I'm moving back to the states.

It sounds like a failure waiting to happen.
JMO

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
One writer said Johnny Football sometimes eats by himself in the cafeteria.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

I'm so torn on this, because Toronto is just one hour away. I'm not sure how I would feel if Cleveland would have moved to Columbus instead of Baltimore, but I feel like it'd be a lot more acceptable.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Uh-Oh,

The "He's farther ahead in the playbook than we'd thought he'd be" and "we'll mix it up for first team reps" quotes are starting to surface....

Tackles are tackles.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Uh-Oh,

The "He's farther ahead in the playbook than we'd thought he'd be" and "we'll mix it up for first team reps" quotes are starting to surface....

Eh, I dunno about that.

Quote:

On Johnny Manziel's early struggles, and other observations after Week 1 of Browns training camp

Checkpoint No. 1: There are different checkpoints in a training camp and we reached the first one with the Browns’ first off day on Wednesday. When players return on Thursday, they’ll get their first taste of live tackling as intensity inches closer to game-ready.

Here is what we have observed so far:

1. Johnny update: Coach Mike Pettine told me before training camp started that coaches would evaluate Johnny Manziel through the first four days and decide whether he earned first-team reps. The numbers tabulated each day by ESPNCleveland’s Jason Gibbs have not been pretty. Gibbs has charted all plays in 7 on 7 and team drills. Unofficially, Manziel has completed 42 of 85 passes (49.4 percent). He has been “sacked” two times officially. Two other obvious sacks were waved off and resulted in Manziel interceptions. There has been one other interception, four keeper runs by Manziel and three plays aborted by general confusion. Manziel’s only touchdown pass came on a little flip to fullback Ray Agnew off a bootleg. It’s too early to draw conclusions. But it’s nearly impossible to make the case that Manziel has earned first-team reps.

2. Fiercest competition: I love the dynamic at running back. Ben Tate talking tough, rookie Terrance West not backing down. The other backs – Chris Ogbonnaya, Isaiah Crowell, Dion Lewis, Edwin Baker – all fighting for perhaps one roster spot. This is the fiercest competition of any position group. Tate’s edginess is more than just talk. He is starting to remind me of the back who wore his No. 44 in a different era and became the heart and soul of the Browns’ turnaround in the 1980s – Earnest Byner. Tate is much more talented as a runner and seems to have Byner’s, well, earnestness to change the culture of the team from losing to winning. This will be the most improved position group from a year ago.

3. Out of the shadow: Top pick Justin Gilbert affably played second fiddle to Manziel off the field in the weeks after the draft. On the field, Gilbert has showed why he was the team’s top pick. Gilbert looks bigger on the field than his listed measurements of 6-0 and 202 pounds. His athleticism has not been exaggerated. When running with the ball on kickoff returns, he looks like an offensive playmaker gliding through running lanes. Gilbert should be promoted to the first-team defense soon, which would be no knock on Buster Skrine, who continues to improve each year. I’d like to see Skrine moved inside now to have ample time to perfect what is one of the most important positions on the defense. Gilbert has physical skills that not even Joe Haden possesses. There is no doubt in my mind he will start from Day 1.

4. Receiver alert: Slot receiver Andrew Hawkins has been a consistent performer, showing good hands, pinpoint route-running, darting quickness and a work ethic and energy that is infectious. He will be a dependable target for Brian Hoyer. That said, there is nobody out there – besides Josh Gordon – who is going to scare any defense. Nate Burleson, Miles Austin, Anthony Armstrong … none has proved in recent years he can even stay on a field, much less shine on it. Of the rest, Charles Johnson is an engaging and intriguing prospect and has the best athletic skills, but I question whether he can make an impact early. If Gordon somehow beats the rap and does play at all this season, it will make all the other receivers better. Otherwise, this position is still a major concern.

5. Rube awakening: With Phil Taylor still not practicing, Pettine and the coaches have gotten some good looks at Ahtyba Rubin at nose tackle – the position at which he broke into the NFL with the Browns in 2008. Pettine commented on Tuesday, “He’s as good as I’ve had in this system as far as his technique in defending the run.” Rubin has impressed the coaches with his work in the inside run drills. Rubin made an interesting comment on Tuesday, saying “(I’m trying to) let everyone know I’m here and I’m not going anywhere.” That was an apparent reference to frequent speculation that Rubin might be used as trade bait because of the surplus at defensive line. Rubin is in the last year of his contract and carries the fifth-highest salary cap figure ($8.175 million) on the team, but he embodies Pettine’s “play like a Brown” mantra as well as anyone.

6. Quick hits: I’m a little surprised there is no extra punter or kicker, not for competition but to avoid overtaxing the legs of Spencer Lanning and Billy Cundiff … Rookie Joel Bitonio is rock solid at left guard … rookie Chris Kirksey has been very active in the run and pass defense … tight end Jordan Cameron is going to have a bigger year than last season … linebacker Barkevious Mingo looks bigger and much more confident … I interpret the addition of safety Jim Leonhard as Pettine having the roster spot to give a player he truly likes some opportunities on tape to audition for other teams.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=35381

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum More Johnny Manziel discussion . . .

Link Copied to Clipboard