Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Cribbs had a very small sample compared to typical, full-time WR's.

yea and yet both Gordon and little had less in collage. go figure?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

Johnny Football lost by a nose- at Canterbury Downs raceway. I figured with a name like that it was a sure fire bet. If I would have boxed the trifecta it would have paid..... lol

I just thought it was crazy a horse was named Johnny Football, it just didn't last the mile distance.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All reports from this weekend were that Manziel is looking better every day. I think I read he accounted for 4 touchdowns in 11 on 11 either yesterday or Saturday.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Only in Cleveland can the backup go 4-11 with no touchdowns and close the gap.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Pretty much everything in this post is inaccurate.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Manziel getting reps with the first team according to mary kay's tweet. the competition has officially begun.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There was never any competition.

Manziel was starting week 1 all along.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Quote:

Care to explain?

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Care to explain?

Didn't I just say he accounted for 4TD's?

Quote:

BEREA (92.3 The Fan) – Training camp hasn’t been much fun for Johnny Manziel.
He hasn’t come in and blown anyone away with his play during the first 6 practices but on Friday he showed the ability to put points on the board – something the offense hasn’t done much of this week.
Manziel was responsible for at least 4 offensive touchdowns during 11 on 11 drills.

Full article

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/08/01...-training-camp/

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Care to explain?

Didn't I just say he accounted for 4TD's?

Are we talking about the same thing?

Johnny went 4-11 at the family day scrimmage, no? Were there some touchdowns I missed?

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know which day family day was. I linked the article I read.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The reported stat was 3-7, not 4-11.

He also had a drop at the goal line, and a TD ruled out of bounds (you can find the picture that it should have been called a TD)

Those also weren't the only throws of the day.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The reported stat was 3-7, not 4-11.

He also had a drop at the goal line, and a TD ruled out of bounds (you can find the picture that it should have been called a TD)

Those also weren't the only throws of the day.

"Incomplete pass"

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
The line I read was 4-11 and no touchdowns.

There is nothing incorrect about that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I know that everyone wants to be positive and they get mad when some of us aren't, but our WRs suck as a group [if Gordon is gone.]

Even w/him, we aren't that good. He drops a ton of passes and isn't a good route runner. He is a physical freak who will make big plays due to his extraordinary athleticism, but he is not a guy who you can count on to make sight adjustments and hot reads.

Some of you will be offended by that because you think he is god, but I am not really bad-mouthing him here. Having a guy who can just blow by the best corners in the league and make huge, huge gains is invaluable.

Who is the guy who is going to find the open hole in the zone to pick up a first down on 3rd down? Who is the guy who is going to recognize the corner blitz and make a hot read? Who is the guy who can make a sight adjustment when the defense disguises its coverage and shifts from one to another? Who is the guy who is going to get open and make the big catch in the end zone?

I don't think we have that guy.

That'll be the Buffalo pick in 2015.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Can't wait for Saturday's Scrimmage. NFL Network is showing it Live. Hoyer will start which means he'll get a couple of series or the first Quarter. Manziel will get probably close to a half.

JM is a gamer...he just plays the game and wins. Its time to stop thinking and play which he does. He's a fast learner also.

I wish to see both and make some comparison. Unless Hoyer falls on his face the next 2 weeks He'll be starting our 3rd preseason game which means the Season.

But I'd like to see how far JM has come. Without a doubt he will be our franchise QB...Finally the holy grail in sight!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't know a starter had been named for Saturday yet?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
True...I guess we'll see on Wed. who gets the first team reps although I don't know how preseason would work, I know Season wise wednesday is the key.

Lets put it this way - I would think they would wish to see more of JM the rook then somebody they are pretty sure of what they got. Preseason most of the work goes to the backup!

But logic says Hoyer starts n JM gets more work all be it with mostly twos maybe OL stays there a bit longer as some WR in rotations...the RB will be Roster worthy as well!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
'Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau: 'I'm expecting Johnny Manziel to be the starter' for Cleveland Browns'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/pittsburgh_steelers_defensive.html

By Tom Reed, Northeast Ohio Media Group on August 04, 2014 at 2:33 PM, updated August 04, 2014 at 5:16 PM

LATROBE, Ohio – The Browns' quarterback competition is just starting to percolate in Berea.

But legendary Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau thinks he knows whom the Browns will start in the regular-season opener in Pittsburgh on Sept. 7.

"I'm expecting (Johnny) Manziel to be the starter," LeBeau told cleveland.com Monday, a day Manziel earned exclusive first-team reps for the first time in practice. "That's what I'm expecting. What he did in college is not an accident. He did it often enough against good teams."

The Steelers face the Browns twice in the first five games. While LeBeau went on record with his thoughts, others in the organization privately anticipate Manziel beating out Brian Hoyer.

Coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert were among the NFL personnel to attend Manziel's pro-day workout at Texas A&M.

The Steelers have made life miserable for young Browns quarterbacks – older ones, too – since they intercepted Tim Couch's first NFL pass in 1999.

Maybe LeBeau is simply saying nice things to a Cleveland media outlet about the Browns' first-round draft pick a month before the opener. His defenses have been baffling rookie quarterbacks for a generation. He was, however, complimentary of Manziel's skillset.

"I think he is going to be a handful for all of us," said LeBeau, a Pro Football Hall of Famer. "You watch all his games and he created plays, he made plays, he kept plays alive.

"He has the ability to see people and the touch with the football to get it in there late in the down. I think he will be successful at this level."

Steelers defensive back Ike Taylor understands Manziel has detractors because of all the hype surrounding him and the celebrity lifestyle he enjoys without having played an NFL game. But Taylor has been following his career since Manziel won the Heisman Trophy in the 2012 season.

"There is only one Johnny Football," Taylor said. "I have been a fan of Johnny Football since (he played) in college. I know people tend to talk about him, but he's a young man having fun, and regardless of what you want to say about him he makes plays on the field. That's all that really matters . . . He's a playmaker and he loves the game."

The Steelers inadvertently helped the Browns acquire Manziel with the No. 22 overall pick. Cleveland traded up four spots in a deal with the Philadelphia Eagles to acquire the quarterback. The sweetener the Browns used to entice the Eagles was the No. 83 overall selection they acquired a year ago in a trade enabling the Steelers to draft defensive back Shamarko Thomas.

(end)

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

"I'm expecting (Johnny) Manziel to be the starter," LeBeau told cleveland.com Monday

That's interesting.

Quote:

The Steelers inadvertently helped the Browns acquire Manziel with the No. 22 overall pick. Cleveland traded up four spots in a deal with the Philadelphia Eagles to acquire the quarterback. The sweetener the Browns used to entice the Eagles was the No. 83 overall selection they acquired a year ago in a trade enabling the Steelers to draft defensive back Shamarko Thomas.

Remember the thread w/page after page after page about how dumb Banner was to make that trade?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

"I'm expecting (Johnny) Manziel to be the starter," LeBeau told cleveland.com Monday

That's interesting.

Quote:

Remember the thread w/page after page after page about how dumb Banner was to make that trade?

No.

B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Good Lord, Vers. Starting to think you ARE Joe Banner.

V
Legend
Legend
V
No? It was in the draft forum and was always at the top of the page.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I remember it. Trading with the enemy, giving up picks in a "strong" draft. Not sure how long it was, but I remember people crying a LOT about it.

I have and still expect Manziel to be the starter. I just think he is much more dynamic than Hoyer.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks. It existed. Everyone who read the board knows that. arch is just being arch.

I have been thinking about who should start at qb. Again, I still think that whomever performs the best should start, but on some levels, Manziel might be a better fit for this team. Here is why:

If Gordon is suspended, we are going to be lacking a WR who can stretch the field. Teams will be crowding the LOS in order to stuff our run game and take away the short and intermediate passing game. That's a rough thing to deal w/for any qb.

Manziel's ability to break out of the pocket and extend plays should help overcome some of the problems that our offense would face by having the defense crowding the LOS. His ability to run the read option should also help our running game.

If Gordon is available, then it would probably behoove the Browns to go w/Hoyer, at least to start the year.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't disagree, but if you listen and read all of the training camp stuff. You haven't heard a lot of "Hoyer threw for a TD". I mean very little of it, maybe that's just the media being the media. Who knows.

I know Mike Pettine said giving Manziel 1st team reps yesterday was "part of the plan". I just don't buy that, give a guy first team reps in a game week? It had nothing to do with the fact that he was just more productive last week? Sounds like coach speak to me.

We'll see. I just think we brought Shannhan here and drafted Manziel for a reason. People thought I was crazy when I suggested that us having brought in Vince Young made it more likely that we would draft Manziel. It just seems like we've been building this offense for him, he's (from what I've read) out produced Hoyer. We'll see....

V
Legend
Legend
V
I see your point, especially about bringing in Shanny and the offense being a good fit for Manziel.

I was also thinking about how we are seemingly following Seattle's recipe for success. Yes, they have a great secondary, an awesome defense, and a strong running game, but they also have a mobile qb who can make plays outside of the framework of their offense.

Let's face it, their OL is pedestrian, at best. Wilson is almost always under pressure when trying to throw. Starting for their OL is NOT an indicator of being a good player. Their WRs and TE's are sub-standard. Wilson is very intelligent and makes plays out of nothing. He is able to do so when they most need them.

Wilson is one of the guys [along w/Fran Tarkenton] that I compared Manziel to during the draft.

Who knows..........maybe it will actually work out for once.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I make no bones about being a Manziel lover. His passion and leadership the past two seasons at college station was far and away the best out of any QB in last year or the year before draft.

I think both of our QB's are very passionate guys. Something we haven't seen in a long time. We've had a lot of Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden, aww shucks, kind of players.

I'm cautiously excited.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

No? It was in the draft forum and was always at the top of the page.

The fact that Farmer appears to have put the pick to good use still doesn't mean it was a great trade... I also remember quite a few people saying that trading for future picks strictly because we might to use them to move up to get a QB was not a bad idea...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't disagree, but if you listen and read all of the training camp stuff. You haven't heard a lot of "Hoyer threw for a TD". I mean very little of it, maybe that's just the media being the media. Who knows.

From what I've heard the defense has been dominating the offense regardless of who was playing on O... hope that is because the defense is so strong and not because the offense is not.

Quote:

I know Mike Pettine said giving Manziel 1st team reps yesterday was "part of the plan". I just don't buy that, give a guy first team reps in a game week? It had nothing to do with the fact that he was just more productive last week? Sounds like coach speak to me.

Preseason week 1 they don't care that there is a game. They aren't game planning for it much, if at all. They are still evaluating and trying to get things running smoothly. I firmly believe it was part of the plan to get him some first team reps whether he "earned them" or not...

That said, language is starting to change. A week ago Hoyer was the clear #1.. now Pettine said he is still the "likely starter" against the Lions this week... I just sincerely hope that if Manziel is catching Hoyer that its because he is playing better and for no other reason.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
After seeing this years class compared to last years class, my only criticism was why didnt Banner trade all of last years picks for guys in this draft lol. A 4th in this years class talent wise was equal to a late first in last years.

Last edited by Mourgrym; 08/05/14 10:13 AM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I argued then---and will now---that it was not the horrific trade that many made it out to be. In fact, I think it was a good trade---even at the time---because the 2014 draft was so much better than the 2013 draft class.

That particular draft class was one of the weakest of all-time. This year's class was lauded by many as one of stronger drafts in a long, long time.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I know Mike Pettine said giving Manziel 1st team reps yesterday was "part of the plan". I just don't buy that, give a guy first team reps in a game week?

He actually started giving Johnny 1st team reps last week after the day off. So this isn't much new. Media Hype is what it sounds like to me. Pettine has said all along that Manziel will get reps with the first team.

As for it being game week, it's preseason, if you are going to experiment, this is as good a week to do it as any.

My NFL Mobil app just alerted me that Manziel is behind Hoyer on the depth chart for the game this week... FWIW

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I remember it. Trading with the enemy, giving up picks in a "strong" draft. Not sure how long it was, but I remember people crying a LOT about it.

I have and still expect Manziel to be the starter. I just think he is much more dynamic than Hoyer.

There definitely was that thread. There were a lot of people whining about giving up a pick to the steelers and letting them get a potential future HOFer

But there were just as many people on the other side arguing that we get a pick a round earlier in a much deeper draft. A very heated discussion if I remember correctly. Definitely not one-sided.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, me for the one side.

C
Legend
Legend
C
So are you saying Shamarko Thomas is not going to be a Hall of Famer?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

There definitely was that thread. There were a lot of people whining about giving up a pick to the steelers and letting them get a potential future HOFer

But there were just as many people on the other side arguing that we get a pick a round earlier in a much deeper draft. A very heated discussion if I remember correctly. Definitely not one-sided.

I remember that as well. We let the Steelers grab a pro bowl safety ... idiot front office.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nah.........that thread never freaking existed. I just lied about it. You know me. I lie all the freaking time!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You were probably on one of your rants that got it locked lol.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum More Johnny Manziel discussion . . .

Link Copied to Clipboard