Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Excellent read. Thanks for finding and posting it.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro, I think your dislike of Manziel is clouding your thinking. If anything, the press has been really negative in their reports about Manziel. It seems like many reporters and fans want the kid to fail. They don't like him as a person, so they don't like him as a player.

I think we should just let it play out and let the best man win. At this point, it is way too early to say there are conspiracy theories or that Manziel will be handed the job. Way too early for that nonsense, bro.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Bro, I think your dislike of Manziel is clouding your thinking. If anything, the press has been really negative in their reports about Manziel. It seems like many reporters and fans want the kid to fail. They don't like him as a person, so they don't like him as a player.

I think we should just let it play out and let the best man win. At this point, it is way too early to say there are conspiracy theories or that Manziel will be handed the job. Way too early for that nonsense, bro.

One thing that Manziel did that I really liked. His play got better each series he got. I think that shows his ability to process information quickly.

On his frist 2 series I thought he looked at his initial read and if it was not there he would immidetely pull the ball down and look for a running lane. The last 2 series he played he sat in the pocket and went thru his progressions. He was more accurate with his throws than I was expecting.

I do not care if he wins the job for the opener in 2014, What I care about is he a QB that can develop into a franchise QB. There is still no way to tell after part of the first pre season game. But, he did show some traits that all good to great QB's have.

C
1st String
1st String
C
He's going to make mistakes,but I was really impressed with his poise.The kid took command of the huddle,and has some real spark in him.Hate the 4th and 1 play,but love his throw over the middle,and that big run.Have to admit,he did better than I thought he would.

Legend
Legend
Well he's definitely got some quick twitch to him and seems to think quickly on his feet, but that can also lead to reckless decisions (at least while he's inexperienced)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
1st String
1st String
C
They need to play him next game with the 1st unit,so they can get a better looksie.My excitement level sure went up,no doubt about that.

Legend
Legend
I'd guess that they will. Give him the first half to show what he's got, which is conveniently a MNF game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

They need to play him next game with the 1st unit,so they can get a better looksie.My excitement level sure went up,no doubt about that.

Mine too. So far, so good.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

I'd guess that they will. Give him the first half to show what he's got, which is conveniently a MNF game

No better time.The ratings will go through the roof.Every single team board has threads talking about him,and 90% hope he sucks...I'm hoping he's the real deal,and can give us something to cheer about for a change. Lord knows we need it...

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

He's going to make mistakes,but I was really impressed with his poise.The kid took command of the huddle,and has some real spark in him.Hate the 4th and 1 play,but love his throw over the middle,and that big run.Have to admit,he did better than I thought he would.

Total 180 from the game day thread.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Quote:

Total 180 from the game day thread.

Yeah,I was watching a baseball game at the same time,so I went back and reviewed his play in detail.The kid has some real confidence.I want to see more of him next week,but Hoyer should open the season for us.JF needs to get used to the speed of the game and reading defenses,not having to rely on running so much.He did damned good inside the pocket,pretty surprised by that.

Legend
Legend
Just business nothing personal. I want Manziel to succeed in a big way. Have nothing against him at all. Loved watching him in college.

However, as NFL quarterback prospect I did see him as a first rounder.

In regards to Haslam and any conspiracy I have no proof of any tampering. I am just suspicious of money and power. Owners have the authority to do what they want. If Banner and Lombardi (along with Farmer) at the time liked Manziel you have to believe that Haslam was in the know. When Banner and Lombardi were fired it is not beyond reason that Haslam wanted Manziel. He may have let Farmer run the draft but made a point that Manziel should be taken at the right value if possible.

I find it perfectly plausible that Haslam told Farmer that Manziel is the target but not necessarily with the first pick.

I just find it hard to believe that a thirty year study of quarterbacks yields Manziel as the right prospect.

In any case I liked what I saw of Manziel last night. He looked poised and confident. Did nothing wrong given the situation. Thought Hoyer looked fine for the first game of pre-season.

As stated I have mixed feels on who should start the season.

I don't believe Haslam will be part of any decision on who starts.

Whatever guy is selected I just want to win period. If Manziel is the guy I am behind him 100%. If the guy is Hoyer same thing.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

On @nflnetwork: @DanHellie confirms Johnny Manziel will start for Browns next week vs. Redskins.

https://twitter.com/MarcSesslerNFL/status/498249864770093058

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
It's only fair. Hoyer didn't really do much to totally separate himself from JF while working with the number ones.

Let Manziel run with the number ones, more specifically with the number one o-line. I think we may see a very accurate pocket passer with JF while having protection that the number two o-line didn't really provide during the Lion's game.

Edit, it impressed me JF knew where to go with the ball when things started to get rough. Had a great pass to I believe Lewis. Dumped off to West. We need someone who knows where their players are on the field, and can proceed through their progressions when the protection is, and isn't, holding up.

Weeden was like a deer in headlights. I'm so glad we don't have to watch his bad play anymore... have fun with that Jerry Jones HAHA. That was a big highlight, not having to watch Weeden!

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 08/10/14 10:35 AM.
Legend
Legend
not to mention the pass to Krause, which he didn't even attempt/look to catch. That was a pretty nice play with pressure

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Out of the rookie class, I thought Johny and Jimmy looked more ready. Car and teddy were not bad but they looked more like rookies. I thought Bortles looked good also and appeared to have reduced some of that wind up giving himself a stronger looking arm and a quicker release.

Not bad rookies not bad.

Legend
Legend
I thought Carr looked a little bit errant, which may be expected. Johnny definitely is the biggest playmaker, but his pocket play was non-existent (2nd string OL may have caused some of it)

D
Legend
Legend
D
They showed a lot of Manziel getting planted after throwing. I bet ten bucks the kid woke up a bit sore today, and not just cause he was the team's leading rusher either lol... the second team oline was extremely crappy

Legend
Legend
And he was even grimacing a few times. That immediately made me nervous

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Everytime he runs falls or farts, he acts like he just hurt something. He plays it up for the fans knowing he is on tv. He will be grabbing his knee and oo spontaneously running all over the place 2 mins later. Seen a lot of that at A&M lol

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Of the rookie QB class, I think it's easy to say that Bortles was the top of the class. He looked very good in his opening game and he showed why he was taken above the rest.

Carr had a slow go of it in Oakland. Looking at the stat line, you see that he had an INT but it was a pass that bounced off the target's hands and should have been caught by the offense, not the defense.

Manziel's performance was alright, not stellar and he made some rookie mistakes (decision-making) but that can be corrected with coaching. He certainly isn't ready for the starting gig in the NFL yet.

Bridgewater was lackluster and IMHO showed why he wasn't taken higher than he was. I still don't think he'll pan out.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Everytime he runs falls or farts, he acts like he just hurt something. He plays it up for the fans knowing he is on tv. He will be grabbing his knee and oo spontaneously running all over the place 2 mins later. Seen a lot of that at A&M lol

Really? that will get very annoying ... but Jim Brown did the same thing from what I hear ... so I'll take that trade off

D
Legend
Legend
D
Report: Manziel pulls ahead of Hoyer

lol

Quote:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Johnny Manziel has pulled ahead of Brian Hoyer in the quarterback race following his flashy debut in Detroit, according to a report.

Citing a Browns source, ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported that Manziel has overtaken the sixth-year pro in the battle for the starting job after his promising performance in Saturday night's 13-12 loss to the Lions.

A source told cleveland.com that Manziel has the momentum and that the superior talent. They've also been pleased with his leadership and progress since the beginning of camp. If he plays well in Washington on Monday Night Football Aug. 18, he'll be very much in the conversation for that week one start in Pittsburgh.

Displaying some of his Johnny Football style, Manziel competed 7-of-11 attempts (64%) for 63 yards in four series of work with the second-team offense. He also led the Browns with 27 yards on six carries, including a 16-yard scramble after he which he slid like a major leaguer.

Manziel will most likely get the against the Redskins and Robert Griffin III, but Pettine wasn't ready to go there after the game.

"That decision hasn't been made yet,'' said Pettine.

He also declined to say which quarterback won round one of the sweepstakes, but will address the media on a conference call at 4 p.m. Sunday.

"They both did some good things," Pettine said. "They both did some things that more suited their skill set. I think Brian was high on a couple throws. I think he would want those back. He threw a couple of other nice balls in there. I thought Johnny did some nice things from the pocket. When he got out, he created a little bit as well."

Still, it's evident that Manziel will need to get some work in the with the first team offense before the Browns can declare him their man for the opener in Pittsburgh. Pettine plans to make his decision before the third preseason game Aug. 23.

"I just think I need to continue to do what the coaches are asking me to do and continue to learn and go through these situations in these games and try to handle them the best that I can while they're coming at me,'' Manziel said. "I'm sure through these next few weeks there will be adversity that I'll have to overcome.

"At the same time, that's part of this game and I need to continue to try to handle the situations the best I know how and try to put this team and my group – whichever, the ones, the twos, the threes, the fours, whatever it is – try and move the ball down the field and help our team win a game.''

Imagine if Manziel had Pro Bowlers Joe Thomas and Alex Mack blocking for him, and Pro Bowlers Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon catching passes for him, which is conceivable in Washington if Gordon hasn't been suspended yet.

"I feel like we're getting looks with every guy on the team,'' said Manziel, who's already mastered the art of diplomacy. "Guys are doing a really good job and continuing to get more and more comfortable.''

Manziel mustered only one field goal in his four possessions, but watched his best drive fizzle on a Dion Lewis fumble at the Detroit 31 and his final march marred by offensive penalties and a dropped pass by undrafted rookie Willie Snead.

"The list of things I need to improve on could go on for days, but for me, it was a good start," Manziel said. "You have to start somewhere and you have to set a foundation, and it was good to get my feet wet. I got my first preseason game under my belt and we've got three more heading into the season.''

Operating primarily out of the pistol and read-option, he converted a fourth-and-1 on a keeper and completed a few passes on the move. But arguably his best throw of the night came from under center, when he fired a 14-yard strike to rookie Taylor Gabriel over the middle after a fake.

"I felt comfortable in the pocket,'' Manziel said. "I felt like the offensive line did a great job of holding up for me to be able to deliver that ball when we were supposed to get rid of it. I felt like the ball came out well tonight. I'm still working on getting balls out on time better and really timing things up.''

Manziel, who entered the game midway through the second quarter to a chorus of boos and some cheers, took a few hard shots from defenders eager to get a lick on the Boy Wonder. But he trotted back out onto the field for two more drives after being checked out by the medical team after one hard hit just before the field goal, and scrambled for 16 yards just after absorbing another blow. Overall, Manziel was knocked down at least three times after the throw.

"It's a football game,'' he said. "It's physical. It's part of the game, but I feel really good. I feel great.''

Pettine agreed that the sideline exam was favorable.

"It's nothing serious,'' he said.

Question is, can the under six-foot, 210-pound Manziel run that much every game and stay healthy?

"I want to move the ball down the field,'' he said. "I did as good a job as I could getting down when I needed to get down and there was a fourth down where I was happy to get the first down, happy to move the chains there. When I did get a chance to take off and run around a little bit, I got down to the chains and tried to keep the drive going. That's what it's all about.''

Manziel was stopped for no gain on his first run -- a third-and-1 -- to go three-and-out on his opening drive. But he gained 11 yards on his next two scrambles, including an 8-yarder on which he followed the block of fullback Ray Agnew. On the fourth-and-1 conversion, Manziel had Agnew wide open, but ran instead and barely made the yard around right end.

"I felt like I need to continue to exhaust my progressions a little bit more,'' he said. "There was a time I stepped up in the pocket and the seas kind of parted and the line kind of gave me a good hole to push up and take off. I needed to make a quick decision, either hang in there a second longer and make the throw or take off and luckily I got past the first wave of defensive linemen and got (16) whatever yard gain it was.''

Another time, Manziel felt the heat and took off prematurely, but will undoubtedly be more patient in the pocket with a better supporting cast. Gordon and Miles Austin worked only with the first team and Cameron had the night off because of a shoulder injury.

"Obviously that's not the plan for me to get that many carries every week,'' he said. "At the same time, the more and more I get better at progressions, the more and more I get comfortable with the play calls and the scheme and what we're trying to do and pre-snap looks, the more and more I continue to get better over time and hopefully that will weed out. The times I did take off I felt I got out of bounds, slid and tried to protect myself the best way I could.''

Manziel said all of the right things about winning the starting job, which should play well in the locker room, especially amongst the veterans.

"For me, it's all about getting better,'' he said. "If I'm the guy that puts this team in the best position to win, then we'll see what happens. But if it's not, then I'm here. At the end of the day, what I want is what's best for the Cleveland Browns. Whichever quarterback that is, whichever way I can help this team, that's what I'm all about. I'm not about having to come in, having to do this. I just need to continue to get better as a player, continue to learn, soak everything in from the film and this experience I had tonight and things will play themselves out the way they're supposed to.''

Manziel received a nice endorsement from Thomas, who's seen plenty of young quarterbacks come and go.

"He seemed to handle it really well and you didn't see any silly rookie mistakes that you'd expect out of a first-year quarterback,'' Thomas said.

Manziel wasn't ready to say that his debut gave him the confidence to face the Steelers less than a month from now, but seemed to realize that the speed and magnitude of the game weren't too much for him.

"Luckily for me there's three more games for me to get out there and learn and continue to go through different situations vs. different defenses,'' said Manziel. "I'm still going week to week and just growing up as a quarterback. I guess you guys can say (the Steelers game) is close, but at the same time there are a lot of things that will unfold from now until then that will paint a better picture for us.''

Overall, Manziel felt he operated the offense efficiently for his first time out.

"I tried to be as decisive as I could,'' he said. "There were some things that I obviously missed, which comes with the territory of being precise on these reads and our progressions. When I knew where I wanted to go and got the right look, the ball came out nice and on time and I really tried to put these guys in the best position possible to get a catch and turn upfield and get as many yards after the catch as we can.''

Hoyer managed two field goals in his three series of work, but the second came against the Lions' second-team defense. He completed 6-of-14 attempts for 92 yards, with a long completion of 28 yards to Marquis Gray. En route to a 65.2 rating, he twice overthrew open receivers inside the Lions' 20, and once put a ball in the turf short of the receiver. But he was also plagued by three dropped passes, including one by Austin at the Lions' 5 and one by Gordon in the back of the end zone.

Hoyer's stats would look a lot better if the receivers had hung on, but it was a good first outing coming off the back from his torn anterior cruciate ligament.

"There's definitely a few throws I would've liked to have back and put in a better spot,'' he said. But I also feel like nine months off of an ACL surgery to be able to play and play pretty decent, it's a step forward. You've got to just keep building and keep along that path."

Hoyer will have one more game in which to stave off the No. 22 overall pick, who's come alive over the past eight days.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/johnny_manziel_has_pulled_ahea.html#incart_2box

Legend
Legend
I'd say that's a little premature. Manziel may start Monday, but I couldn't in good faith call him our starter yet.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Very candid self assessment of his play. He is becoming more and more likeable as well as progressing on the field. So much to like right now. Hopes are high fellas.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
As soon as I saw the headline, I knew that this was a MKC write-up. I didn't even bother to read anything else.

Tony Grossi has crap-for-brains sometimes, but when the PD replaced him (following his unfortunate tweet) with her, they completely lost their credibility.

I'm not saying that a woman can't be a book writer of sports, but that's above Mary Kay's talent level. She can't even fake it. She's a joke.

R
Legend
Legend
R
She said Campbell was a franchise QB, right?

I think whatever cred she had at that time completely evaporated.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If anything, the press has been really negative in their reports about Manziel. It seems like many reporters and fans want the kid to fail. They don't like him as a person, so they don't like him as a player.

I agree with the second part but disagree with the first part. Everybody seems to have an opinion on JM but from the former players and coaches I've seen on NFLN and ESPN and on the radio, I think they have been rather fair in their assessment of JM.. I haven't seen anybody say he's a sure fire HoFer, and nobody has said he's a certain bust.. most are in the middle and most toe the line that he is going to make mistakes, he needs some time to develop... now they do tend to disagree on whether they think he should start right away but I think most realize he is going to be the starter at some point..

I was thinking about this after the game last night after watching NFLN for about an hour where 3/4 of it was dedicated to the Browns and 3/4 of that was about JM... I think I finally reached my point where I was tired of hearing about the Browns. I actually wanted to see highlights of some of the other games.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

lol

Quote:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Johnny Manziel has pulled ahead of Brian Hoyer in the quarterback race following his flashy debut in Detroit, according to a report.

Citing a Browns source, ESPN's Bob Holtzman reported that Manziel has overtaken the sixth-year pro in the battle for the starting job after his promising performance in Saturday night's 13-12 loss to the Lions.

A source told cleveland.com that Manziel has the momentum and that the superior talent. They've also been pleased with his leadership and progress since the beginning of camp. If he plays well in Washington on Monday Night Football Aug. 18, he'll be very much in the conversation for that week one start in Pittsburgh.

Displaying some of his Johnny Football style, Manziel competed 7-of-11 attempts (64%) for 63 yards in four series of work with the second-team offense. He also led the Browns with 27 yards on six carries, including a 16-yard scramble after he which he slid like a major leaguer.

Manziel will most likely get the against the Redskins and Robert Griffin III, but Pettine wasn't ready to go there after the game.

He also declined to say which quarterback won round one of the sweepstakes, but will address the media on a conference call at 4 p.m. Sunday.

"They both did some good things," Pettine said. "They both did some things that more suited their skill set. I think Brian was high on a couple throws. I think he would want those back. He threw a couple of other nice balls in there. I thought Johnny did some nice things from the pocket. When he got out, he created a little bit as well."

Still, it's evident that Manziel will need to get some work in the with the first team offense before the Browns can declare him their man for the opener in Pittsburgh. Pettine plans to make his decision before the third preseason game Aug. 23.

"I just think I need to continue to do what the coaches are asking me to do and continue to learn and go through these situations in these games and try to handle them the best that I can while they're coming at me,'' Manziel said. "I'm sure through these next few weeks there will be adversity that I'll have to overcome.

"At the same time, that's part of this game and I need to continue to try to handle the situations the best I know how and try to put this team and my group – whichever, the ones, the twos, the threes, the fours, whatever it is – try and move the ball down the field and help our team win a game.''

Imagine if Manziel had Pro Bowlers Joe Thomas and Alex Mack blocking for him, and Pro Bowlers Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon catching passes for him, which is conceivable in Washington if Gordon hasn't been suspended yet.

"I feel like we're getting looks with every guy on the team,'' said Manziel, who's already mastered the art of diplomacy. "Guys are doing a really good job and continuing to get more and more comfortable.''

Manziel mustered only one field goal in his four possessions, but watched his best drive fizzle on a Dion Lewis fumble at the Detroit 31 and his final march marred by offensive penalties and a dropped pass by undrafted rookie Willie Snead.

"The list of things I need to improve on could go on for days, but for me, it was a good start," Manziel said. "You have to start somewhere and you have to set a foundation, and it was good to get my feet wet. I got my first preseason game under my belt and we've got three more heading into the season.''

Operating primarily out of the pistol and read-option, he converted a fourth-and-1 on a keeper and completed a few passes on the move. But arguably his best throw of the night came from under center, when he fired a 14-yard strike to rookie Taylor Gabriel over the middle after a fake.

"I felt comfortable in the pocket,'' Manziel said. "I felt like the offensive line did a great job of holding up for me to be able to deliver that ball when we were supposed to get rid of it. I felt like the ball came out well tonight. I'm still working on getting balls out on time better and really timing things up.''

Manziel, who entered the game midway through the second quarter to a chorus of boos and some cheers, took a few hard shots from defenders eager to get a lick on the Boy Wonder. But he trotted back out onto the field for two more drives after being checked out by the medical team after one hard hit just before the field goal, and scrambled for 16 yards just after absorbing another blow. Overall, Manziel was knocked down at least three times after the throw.

"It's a football game,'' he said. "It's physical. It's part of the game, but I feel really good. I feel great.''

Question is, can the under six-foot, 210-pound Manziel run that much every game and stay healthy?

"I want to move the ball down the field,'' he said. "I did as good a job as I could getting down when I needed to get down and there was a fourth down where I was happy to get the first down, happy to move the chains there. When I did get a chance to take off and run around a little bit, I got down to the chains and tried to keep the drive going. That's what it's all about.''

Manziel was stopped for no gain on his first run -- a third-and-1 -- to go three-and-out on his opening drive. But he gained 11 yards on his next two scrambles, including an 8-yarder on which he followed the block of fullback Ray Agnew. On the fourth-and-1 conversion, Manziel had Agnew wide open, but ran instead and barely made the yard around right end.

"I felt like I need to continue to exhaust my progressions a little bit more,'' he said. "There was a time I stepped up in the pocket and the seas kind of parted and the line kind of gave me a good hole to push up and take off. I needed to make a quick decision, either hang in there a second longer and make the throw or take off and luckily I got past the first wave of defensive linemen and got (16) whatever yard gain it was.''

Another time, Manziel felt the heat and took off prematurely, but will undoubtedly be more patient in the pocket with a better supporting cast. Gordon and Miles Austin worked only with the first team and Cameron had the night off because of a shoulder injury.

"Obviously that's not the plan for me to get that many carries every week,'' he said. "At the same time, the more and more I get better at progressions, the more and more I get comfortable with the play calls and the scheme and what we're trying to do and pre-snap looks, the more and more I continue to get better over time and hopefully that will weed out. The times I did take off I felt I got out of bounds, slid and tried to protect myself the best way I could.''

Manziel said all of the right things about winning the starting job, which should play well in the locker room, especially amongst the veterans.

"For me, it's all about getting better,'' he said. "If I'm the guy that puts this team in the best position to win, then we'll see what happens. But if it's not, then I'm here. At the end of the day, what I want is what's best for the Cleveland Browns. Whichever quarterback that is, whichever way I can help this team, that's what I'm all about. I'm not about having to come in, having to do this. I just need to continue to get better as a player, continue to learn, soak everything in from the film and this experience I had tonight and things will play themselves out the way they're supposed to.''

Manziel received a nice endorsement from Thomas, who's seen plenty of young quarterbacks come and go.

"He seemed to handle it really well and you didn't see any silly rookie mistakes that you'd expect out of a first-year quarterback,'' Thomas said.

Manziel wasn't ready to say that his debut gave him the confidence to face the Steelers less than a month from now, but seemed to realize that the speed and magnitude of the game weren't too much for him.

"Luckily for me there's three more games for me to get out there and learn and continue to go through different situations vs. different defenses,'' said Manziel. "I'm still going week to week and just growing up as a quarterback. I guess you guys can say (the Steelers game) is close, but at the same time there are a lot of things that will unfold from now until then that will paint a better picture for us.''

Overall, Manziel felt he operated the offense efficiently for his first time out.

"I tried to be as decisive as I could,'' he said. "There were some things that I obviously missed, which comes with the territory of being precise on these reads and our progressions. When I knew where I wanted to go and got the right look, the ball came out nice and on time and I really tried to put these guys in the best position possible to get a catch and turn upfield and get as many yards after the catch as we can.''

Hoyer managed two field goals in his three series of work, but the second came against the Lions' second-team defense. He completed 6-of-14 attempts for 92 yards, with a long completion of 28 yards to Marquis Gray. En route to a 65.2 rating, he twice overthrew open receivers inside the Lions' 20, and once put a ball in the turf short of the receiver. But he was also plagued by three dropped passes, including one by Austin at the Lions' 5 and one by Gordon in the back of the end zone.

Hoyer's stats would look a lot better if the receivers had hung on, but it was a good first outing coming off the back from his torn anterior cruciate ligament.

"There's definitely a few throws I would've liked to have back and put in a better spot,'' he said. But I also feel like nine months off of an ACL surgery to be able to play and play pretty decent, it's a step forward. You've got to just keep building and keep along that path."

Hoyer will have one more game in which to stave off the No. 22 overall pick, who's come alive over the past eight days.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/johnny_manziel_has_pulled_ahea.html#incart_2box

I just can't stand Mary Kay... Pretty sure coach said before last night that Manziel would probably start game two... maybe not, but thought I read that somewhere.

Mary Kay is just looking for a headline to get readers...

Legend
Legend
Maybe Mary Kay thinks JFF will be as good as Campbell!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Pretty sure coach said before last night that Manziel would probably start game two... maybe not, but thought I read that somewhere.

You probably did read it but it didn't come from Pettine. He was asked last night after the game the specific question.. the guy asked, it's reported that Manziel is going to start against the Redskins, is that true? and Pettine's response was, not sure where you heard that but that decision hasn't been made yet.

If he doesn't I think it's safe to say he isn't going to start the season because he said he wanted a decision before the 3rd game.. can't see JM not starting either game one or two but then being named the starter. I think he will start, I don't think you can really say this is a competition unless they let him start and play 3 series with the ones..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

lol

Quote:

I just can't stand Mary Kay... Pretty sure coach said before last night that Manziel would probably start game two... maybe not, but thought I read that somewhere.

Geesh. of course she's trying to get readers, but all she did in this article is report what someone else reported quoting a Browns source.

Here is the 2nd sentence of the article:

Quote:

So what is bad reporting about that? She reported what someone else reported, quoting a Browns source. That happens all the time among sports reporters.

I sometimes think that people learn to dislike a sports reporter so much that they ignore what they actually report. She made a factual report. She stated what another reporter, quoting a Browns source, said. She then also quoted another source saying that Manziel has momentum and superior talent. Duh. Anyone can see that. he is coming on faster than Hoyer is running away, and I don't think that anyone who has been paying attention would debate that. She says that the source mentioned Manziel's superior talent. Again ...duh. Of course Manziel has superior talent. He was picked in the 1st. Hoyer wasn't drafted at all. Hoyer has made himself what he is today through lots of hard work, but no one would look at the 2 and say that they are equally talented on an innate basis.

I see nothing wrong with the article she wrote.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Not going to get into a pissing match with you over it Ytown, we get along too well... BUT have you been reading all of her articles lately? She's done everything she can to talk up JFF and down play Hoyer. She's trying to hitch her wagon to JFF's rising star and it's sickening. I know a lot of the media hype is about JFF, but she's a local reporter and I expect more from her than to be just another hoople-head.

I don't care who starts, I just want a fair competition and the best man to win based solely on the competition; not media induced hysteria. I have pretty much disliked her since she took over for Tony with Hey Mary Kay... she's a dolt.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

She said Campbell was a franchise QB, right?

I think whatever cred she had at that time completely evaporated.

Yeah, and she explained that it was because her father was proud of her for being the Browns beat writer for the newspaper. Whatever. My wife, who is not particularly knowledgeable of Browns football, could write better stuff and sound more convincing than Mary Kay. She should probably change her name to Mary Jane Cabot because she's obviously smoking something.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not going to get into a pissing match with you over it Ytown, we get along too well... BUT have you been reading all of her articles lately? She's done everything she can to talk up JFF and down play Hoyer. She's trying to hitch her wagon to JFF's rising star and it's sickening. I know a lot of the media hype is about JFF, but she's a local reporter and I expect more from her than to be just another hoople-head.

I don't care who starts, I just want a fair competition and the best man to win based solely on the competition; not media induced hysteria. I have pretty much disliked her since she took over for Tony with Hey Mary Kay... she's a dolt.

I agree with all of that. She's a shill.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Johnny would hit it.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Maybe Mary Kay thinks JFF will be as good as Campbell!

I see what you did there.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

^^^^^ This!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

So what is bad reporting about that? She reported what someone else reported, quoting a Browns source. That happens all the time among sports reporters.

What's bad about it is that she is the local Browns beat writer for the local major newspaper.

She can't get her own sources in the building to give her something? She's getting her writing material from others without really knowing how good that source is.

Nothing she ever writes about is original stuff. You really should expect a bit more from the beat writer for a newspaper in a city with a major league team.

Frankly, to me, she is a black eye for sports writing in Cleveland. I read better stuff by reporters that cover multiple teams (at all levels) on website blogs. She atrocious!

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Frankly, to me, she continues a rich tradition of black-eyed sports-writers in Cleveland.

Edited it for ya.

She's always been a QB-honk with slanted thoughts well-before she was promoted. Her amateur-hour belly-rubbing of her father on Father's Day was one of the worst bush-league moves I've ever seen. She's been in over her head for years and that "article" doesn't show anything akin to growth, only slant.

But after years of watching garbage compositions from the likes of Roger Brown, Tony Grossi, and Mary K, well, I'm kinda just numb to the entire thing.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum More Johnny Manziel discussion . . .

Link Copied to Clipboard