Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
That aggregate salaries have to be within 125% of each other, so around $13 Mil in salaries is what we need to make it work. If we're allowed to apply that trade exception, then we wouldn't need anything more than Bennett and Wiggins.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yea I read it was Wiggins/Bennett, and a 2017 or 2018 1st rd pick. Might have to take on JJ Barea. I've always stated if we could get 5 years out of Love, that's all you could ask for. I don't expect him to play here his whole career, but I do expect a run similar to the one Lebron gave to Miami.

Legend
Legend
Or we could do it with B

If we can have the salaries traded at roughly $12,600,000, then that would make 125% be Love's salary. (approx) We could trade Bennett, the $3 million exception, the $3.3 million in non guaranteed deals we picked up, and Delly's deal, and that's $12.6 million.

I can't see that ever flying ...... but it is doable. If we trade both Bennett and Wiggins, that's $11 million, and we would have to add in the $1.6 million non guaranteed deal we added in the Felix trade. That would be an even match.

We could then hold those other 2 non guaranteed deals for now, along with the trade exception, and have the ability to add roughly a $4.5 million deal in a trade.

Man, we are set up so well right now that it's scary. .

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we trade both Bennett and Wiggins, that's $11 million, and we would have to add in the $1.6 million non guaranteed deal we added in the Felix trade. That would be an even match.

I'm thinking that's the deal, and it's already done. They might try to work in a third team to see if Minnesota can shuffle a couple of contracts they don't want, but I can't imagine them wanting much more from us.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I read something that other day that the deal would be Wiggins, Bennett, and a future 1st round pick .....

Earlier in the thread, I said that is exactly what I said I would give up. I just don't think Minnesota does the deal w/out Wiggins. I hope I am wrong about that, but it's probably a reality.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

That aggregate salaries have to be within 125% of each other, so around $13 Mil in salaries is what we need to make it work. If we're allowed to apply that trade exception, then we wouldn't need anything more than Bennett and Wiggins.

Found this on Larry Coon's site: "Non-taxpaying teams can receive in trade 150% plus $100,000 (when trading $0 to $9.8 million), 100% plus $5 million (when trading $9.8 million to $19.6 million), and 125% plus $100,000 (when trading more than $19.6 million)."

The old CBA was 125% + $100,000. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#appendix

The NBA CBA/salary cap rules are ridiculous.

Haus #898264 08/04/14 10:27 AM
Legend
Legend
We're a tax-paying team now though, so the 125% rule applies to us, not the 150% one.

A few years ago, I spent a good deal of time reading up on all the NBA salary cap rules, because I wanted to know what I was talking about when people started throwing out lavish trade scenarios. Then the new CBA came out, and I feel like I know nothing again.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
http://www.nba.com/2014/news/07/09/salary-cap-increases/
Quote:

The National Basketball Association announced Wednesday that the salary cap has increased by 7.5 percent to an all-time high of $63.065 million for the 2014-15 season. The tax level for the 2014-15 season increased by 7.1 percent to $76.829 million.

We aren't a tax paying team, at least not yet. I found the current cap number at ~69.1m. Of course, the obvious question is what rules are followed when a team that's under the tax line makes a trade and goes over? I'm not sure, but it would seem unlikely to apply here.

Haus #898266 08/04/14 10:46 AM
Legend
Legend
I'm almost positive that if you go over the cap to make a trade, then then tax-paying rule applies.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I'm almost positive that if you go over the cap to make a trade, then then tax-paying rule applies.

I think it gets prorated.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, just reading up on a huge faq they have for the NBA Salary Cap ... you have to be under the cap AFTER the trade to get the non-taxed rules. And if we're looking for the lowest possible amount to trade to take on Love, which would be around $5M, we'd be going over the cap.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The Cavs could trade for Kevin Love and still be a non-taxpaying team, but it would be close. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84

Kevin Love's salary is ~15.7million so they way I am seeing it, the Cavs would only have to send out ~10.7million in salary, and they would still remain under the tax line. That's just for Love. It obviously gets more confusing if more players are involved (Barea, Brewer, etc.)

Haus #898270 08/04/14 12:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We aren't a tax paying team, at least not yet. I found the current cap number at ~69.1m. Of course, the obvious question is what rules are followed when a team that's under the tax line makes a trade and goes over? I'm not sure, but it would seem unlikely to apply here.

Where did you find that? The cap is ~63m. Unless they are counting the trade exception as part of our cap? Even then it would only be ~66-67m. Cavs salaries are just under 63m (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm), so it wouldn't take much for us to go over.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
See what I posted from NBA.com. The salary cap is ~63m. The tax level is ~76.8m. The Cavs current cap number is ~69.1m. Teams over the cap but under the tax level are non-taxpayers. The Cavs could take back an extra 5m in salary and still be under the tax line, unless I'm mistaken somewhere (easily possible, the cap rules are very confusing and I haven't spent enough time reading into it.)

Haus #898272 08/04/14 01:31 PM
Legend
Legend
Ah I get it ... my bad.

Legend
Legend
ESPN sources say Shawn Marion is in Cleveland today on recruiting visit with Cavaliers

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3m

Shawn Marion is a natural target for Indy in the wake of Paul George's injury but LeBron's presence, I'm told, indeed gives Cavs upper hand

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
wow. Marion would be a huge get especially if it seems that we are giving up Wiggins. having 2 wing defenders (and Marion can play in the post on defense too) would be huge.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
haha, we are going to have a sick team

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Marion would be a huge get especially if it seems that we are giving up Wiggins

I would say signing Marion would be Wiggins final boarding call.

Just saw that ESPN interview Wiggins did...Jesus, that was awkward. Some of those questions wouldn't be acceptable for TMZ.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

wow. Marion would be a huge get especially if it seems that we are giving up Wiggins. having 2 wing defenders (and Marion can play in the post on defense too) would be huge.

Marion would be a really nice add to this team.

It's nice having the team that people want to play for ....

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I called this when the love rumors started. I said we could sign Marion to take up defensive slack. There's a picture on twitter of the cavs and Marion sitting around table

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Shawn Marion being sought by Cleveland Cavaliers - ESPN
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11309604/shawn-marion-being-sought-cleveland-cavaliers

Free-agent defensive stalwart Shawn Marion is the latest target for LeBron James' Cleveland Cavaliers, according to sources with knowledge of the team's plans.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Cavaliers are hosting Marion in Cleveland on Monday and are trying to complete a deal with the former Phoenix Sun and Dallas Maverick despite its inability to offer more than the league minimum.

Cavaliers general manager David Griffin has a strong relationship with Marion from their Phoenix days together and Cleveland, sources said, would love to bring Marion in to add depth, experience and versatility to a core that is expected to also feature Kevin Love if the Cavs complete their long-anticipated traded with Minnesota for the All-Star power forward later this month.

Marion is a natural target for the Indiana Pacers in the wake of the devastating injury suffered over the weekend by Paul George, but sources told ESPN.com that the Cavaliers -- thanks to the presence of James -- have the upper hand over Indiana or anyone else recruiting Marion at this juncture.

There was mutual interest in Marion's return to the Mavericks, but that option appeared to vanish last month when the Houston Rockets elected not to match Dallas' three-year, $46 million offer sheet to restricted free agent Chandler Parsons. Marion's exit -- after his irreplaceable contributions to Dallas' title team in 2011 -- was then essentially sealed by the Mavericks' subsequent deal with former Orlando Magic point guard Jameer Nelson, leaving only minimum money to offer the 36-year-old.

Griffin had an up-close view for Marion's most productive years with the Suns, but the former All-Star transformed himself into a top-shelf role player in Dallas, turning in five solid seasons with the Mavericks and guarding players at every position except center throughout his Dallas stint for a team with no shortage of defensive deficiencies.

During the Mavericks' 2011 title run, Marion averaged 11.9 points and 6.3 rebounds and guarded the likes of Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Dwyane Wade and James at various points during that postseason.

PDR #898280 08/04/14 07:46 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just saw that ESPN interview Wiggins did...Jesus, that was awkward. Some of those questions wouldn't be acceptable for TMZ.

Yeah saw that last night. Was feeling bad for Wiggins. He didn't know what to say for half of the stuff asked and gave them like 3 word answers.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11303153/andrew-wiggins-cleveland-cavaliers-want-play-where-wanted

Are you guys talking about that interview? Because, yikes. That's horrible. I really feel sorry for him. Who is this Jim Rome wannabe asking him questions? How did his Agent/Publisher not get involved? My God.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Shawn Marion is a natural target for Indy in the wake of Paul George's injury but LeBron's presence, I'm told, indeed gives Cavs upper hand

LOL.................that sounds familiar somehow.

Legend
Legend
yeah, that's the one.

Legend
Legend
With Indy losing Lance and now George (for this year)

I wonder if they are going to try to move Hibbert.. And completely try to retool that team..

We can look at all the Vet Shooter and Swingmen we want.. if we don't get some legit big guys in here, I don't see this team being Not 1, Not 2, Not 3 level..

We're Top 3 in the East with James now, Probably the favorites if we get Love... But unless SA falls apart, or OKC implodes... I can't see us contending for a title this or even next year..

My optimism for this year is slightly improved, just because we get to watch good basketball all season...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
'Report: Love trade to Cavs nearly complete'

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-love-trade-cavs-nearly-040412329--nba.html

By The Sports Xchange
7 hours ago
The SportsXchange

A three-team deal that would send Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers and Andrew Wiggins to the Minnesota Timberwolves is near completion, ESPN's Brian Windhorst said on ESPN Radio New York on Monday.

Windhorst said that "unless something unforeseen happens" the deal would go through. Also, Cavaliers forward Anthony Bennett, the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2013, would go to the Philadelphia 76ers as part of a deal for forward Thaddeus Young. An undetermined number of draft picks will also be involved.
However, the centerpieces are Love and Wiggins.

The Cavaliers are not allowed to officially trade Wiggins until August 23 due to a rule prohibiting draft picks from being traded until 30 days after they sign with the team that drafted them.

But if the trade goes through as reported, it would put Love on the same team in Cleveland with LeBron James and Kyrie Irving. It could make the Cavaliers a title contender one year after they finished with a 33-49 record in 2013-2014.

Love averaged 26.1 points and 12.5 points this past season for the Timberwolves. He was named to the All-Star team for the third time in 2014.
Wiggins was the No. 1 overall pick this year's draft, so if Cleveland trades away both Wiggins and Bennett it will be giving away the No. 1 overall pick in the past two NBA drafts.

(end)

N
Legend
Legend
N
is his "source" the owner of the Twolves that pretty much gave that away?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
That trade makes sense to me. Minnesota get Young, who would be a good replacement for Love, and they can then tell their fans that they are still trying to win now while bringing in an exciting young prospect like Wiggins.

Legend
Legend
Read Dan Gilbert's email to David Stern on the Chris Paul trade
DECEMBER 9, 2011 | 9:47 AM

Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who knows a thing or two about teams taking the best players from other franchises and building their own super team, was apparently extremely unhappy about the Chris Paul trade.

So unhappy, in fact, that he sent an email to NBA Commissioner David Stern urging him to block the trade. The NBA says the email had no effect on its decision to block the trade.

Below is Gilbert's entire email. What do you think? Does he make some valid points?

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn't appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don't see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise...

Dan G.

That was 2011.. evidently now that the Cavs will be one of the top teams and NOT the Washington Generals, he's ok with it.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Why do you say that? That Lakers trade was extremely lopsided. This trade is pretty much dead-on even, considering there's heavy debate on whether or not we should do it. You'd be hard pressed to find any Laker fans that didn't want that trade to go through. Also, not to mention, it wasn't NO's ownership that was making the trade ... it was the NBA, that was basically gifting a top 5 player to it's own major market for not much at all in return. The two trades aren't close to comparable.

Legend
Legend
I think it's important to understand that the league owned the Hornets at the time and there was one guy acting as the GM (don't remember who).

I think Dan's note was more about how the trade doesn't make sense if he's 1/29th an owner of the Hornets. Why should the appointed GM get to trade CP3 to any team for nothing in return and the other owners can't vote on it? And yes, why are we trading this superstar to the Lakers on top of that?

Dan has put his foot in his own mouth more than any owner since Cuban (though most of Cuban's stuff makes sense). But I agree with Dan on the CP3 trade. The trade should be approved by all the owners and the deal should be fair. And yes, why are we trying to make the Lakers great again?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
Legend
N
Dan's main point was that you shouldn't be able to get a superstar (by far the best player in the deal) while at the same time saving yourself a ton of money.

The Cavs will be taking on much more $$ through this and any associated deals.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Read Dan Gilbert's email to David Stern on the Chris Paul trade
DECEMBER 9, 2011 | 9:47 AM

Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who knows a thing or two about teams taking the best players from other franchises and building their own super team, was apparently extremely unhappy about the Chris Paul trade.

So unhappy, in fact, that he sent an email to NBA Commissioner David Stern urging him to block the trade. The NBA says the email had no effect on its decision to block the trade.

Below is Gilbert's entire email. What do you think? Does he make some valid points?

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn't appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don't see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise...

Dan G.

That was 2011.. evidently now that the Cavs will be one of the top teams and NOT the Washington Generals, he's ok with it.

In fairness, at the time the Hornets were a league owned team ...... and thus the other owners had a legitimate say in the operations of that team.

That said though ..... it is always, always easier to complain when it's the other guy .......

Legend
Legend
Irving / Dellavedova
Waiters / Miller
LBJ / Marion
Love / Thompson
Varejao / Haywood

I think that team is good enough to beat OKC and the Clippers. It's gonna take an A+ effort against San Antonio.

Legend
Legend
I copied the wrong piece. Meant to copy the one of Gilbert talking about how building "super teams" was so bad for the NBA... now that he has the magnet to build around, I guess picking up Love and Marion and whoever else isn't such a bad thing...

But the comment about 25 teams being the Washington Generals because all of the best players migrate to same 5 teams is legit... now that he owns one of them, it's all good.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I copied the wrong piece. Meant to copy the one of Gilbert talking about how building "super teams" was so bad for the NBA... now that he has the magnet to build around, I guess picking up Love and Marion and whoever else isn't such a bad thing...

But the comment about 25 teams being the Washington Generals because all of the best players migrate to same 5 teams is legit... now that he owns one of them, it's all good.

You could always spin that into him coming to grips with that being the only to get it done, and therefore, if you can't beat a super team, BECOME ONE!

I've actually been throwing around the idea that this whole thing was a conspiracy. Lebron went to Dan in 2010, and said, the only way this team is getting better is if I leave, and you go into the lottery. Lebron goes off to Miami to play with his buddies, while Dan stocks up in the lotto. The letter was just a distraction to keep everyone from thinking they were in cahoots. Then he drops of a Brinks truck to Stern's driveway and wins 3/4 lotteries.

Just sayin.

N
Legend
Legend
N
your conspiracy theory falls apart when you ask why Gilbert bought the '13 lottery instead of the '12 lottery. heck, he could have taken the bump from 4th to 3rd in '12 for better results than we got in '13.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He was outbid in 12.

Seriously when are they going to just adopt live auction for draft order?

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NBA Thread, Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard