Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Browns acquire Michael Bowie

Browns awarded Michael Bowie via waivers
Posted 36 minutes ago

Clevelandbrowns.com
@Browns Facebook
BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns on Sunday were awarded OL Michael Bowie via waivers from the Seattle Seahawks. General Manager Ray Farmer made the announcement.

Bowie, a 6-5, 320-pound offensive lineman entering his second NFL season, appeared in nine games with eight starts (seven at RT, one at RG) for Seattle in 2013. During the Seahawks’ Super Bowl XLVIII championship run, he started at left guard in the team’s 23-15 Divisional Playoffs victory against the New Orleans Saints but was inactive for the final two contests. Bowie contributed to an offensive line that helped Seahawks Pro Bowl RB Marshawn Lynch rush for 1,257 rushing yards and 12 TDs, tied for the most in the NFL last season.

A seventh-round draft pick (No. 242 overall) by Seattle in 2013, Bowie finished his collegiate career at Northeastern State University (Okla.), where the All-MIAA second-team member did not concede a sack and registered a team-best 47 knockdown blocks. He joined the RiverHawks in 2012 after playing at Oklahoma State University and Navarro Junior College (Texas), where he was part of the Bulldogs’ national championship team.

Bowie is a native of Tulsa, Okla., and attended San Springs Charles Page High School.

The Browns roster is currently at 90 players.

From Rotoworld:

Browns claimed OT Michael Bowie off waivers from the Seahawks.
The Super Bowl champs figure to be none-too-pleased by rookie Browns GM Ray Farmer's sniping of their 2014 starting right tackle, but Seattle GM John Schneider knew the risk of waiving Bowie injured as opposed to keeping him on the roster and placing Bowie on I.R. at final cuts. Bowie is an unlikely 2014 contributor due to a severe shoulder injury, but excelled in nine starts last season, particularly as a run blocker, and was just barely 22 years old. The Browns figure to stash Bowie on I.R. and let him compete for a job in 2015.

This was Belichickian

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.........shrewd? The guy was a 7th round pick who was waived.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No offense but picking up someone from waivers istn really shrewd lol.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Seventh round or not he was a starter on the OL of the current Super Bowl Champion until he was injured. We can go back and forth on this if you wish but honestly we won't know if it pays any dividends until next year.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I remember a similar thing happening here with Don Carey.

Supposedly, there's some clubhouse unwritten rule that you don't take the guys teams are trying to sneak through while injured.

Teams have picked off guys enough to make me hesitate if I really like the guy.

Legend
Legend
So two questions:

1. Where would he fit in our offensive scheme?

2. Who could he beat out?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't knocking the guy. I never even heard of him before. I just don't see how it is "shrewd." Sorry for expressing my opinion.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I was looking for an O-line thread.
On this guy, I'll wait 24 hours and see if they don't take him back like has happened before.

On the other thought. If the running backs struggle is it Alex Mack's responsibility. How much? Thoughts?

On the first. I thought they weren't allowed to waive an injured player. Maybe that's just during the season.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
You "scoffed" (do I have to defend that term too?) at my use of the term shrewd, you have a right to do so. You specifically brought up his draft and injury status. I replied. No name calling, no insults hurled, just an answer.

Its shrewd because the guys contract is worth about $500K a year. He has started in this league. So he's demonstrated ability to play at this level. Had he not been injured he would have been in the mix to retain his starting position for the NFL Champions no less. He's not yet 23 years old. He's played in a run first zone blocking scheme, that fits what the Browns are installing. The potential ROI is significant considering that we gave up nothing to acquire him.

Sounds shrewd to me.

Last edited by guard dawg; 08/03/14 07:30 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but I don't know enough about this stuff.

Why would Seattle pass him through waivers instead of putting him on IR if they wanted to keep him?

I would imagine by doing so, they are able to free up the roster spot and place him on IR instead, but wouldn't the Browns be doing the same thing then? Is it different rules since he wasn't on our roster?

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

You "scoffed" (do I have to defend that term too?) at my use of the term shrewd, you have a right to do so. You specifically brought up his draft and injury status. I replied. No name calling, no insults hurled, just an answer.

Its shrewd because the guys contract is worth about $500K a year. He has started in this league. So he's demonstrated ability to play at this level. Had he not been injured he would have been in the mix to retain his starting position for the NFL Champions no less. He's not yet 23 years old. He's played in a run first zone blocking scheme, that fits what the Browns are installing. The potential ROI is significant considering that we gave up nothing to acquire him.

Sounds shrewd to me.

He would have used the word "astute", "clever" or "wise" instead of "shrewd".

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Someone with more technical knowledge about transactions will have to explain that one.

For context I want to mention that Belichick did this a few years ago taking TE Jack Ballard who was with the Giants.

Belichick did it again just last week picking up Tyler Gaffney, RB who was injured while in camp with the Panthers.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

J/C

Why would Seattle pass him through waivers instead of putting him on IR if they wanted to keep him?

I would imagine by doing so, they are able to free up the roster spot and place him on IR instead, but wouldn't the Browns be doing the same thing then? Is it different rules since he wasn't on our roster?

Prior to the start of the regular season, a player can't go on IR without clearing waivers.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Here is a Pro Football Focus assessment on Bowie. Its embedded in a long article so I've cut and pasted the relevant parts also.

27. Seattle Seahawks (20th)
PB: 25th, RB: 23rd, PEN: 30th

Stud: With injuries depleting the ranks, it was left to Michael Bowie (+7.1) to lead the team with their highest grade. He may eventually end up at guard (as he was for their recent playoff victory over the Saints) with his run blocking particularly impressive.

Dud: The team has to hope they never, ever have to start Paul McQuistan (-24.8) at left tackle again. It went very badly and he wasn’t much better at guard.

Analysis: An interesting year. Losing Russell Okung hurt but when they did get him on the field his play was a level or three below it’s usual high standard. At center Max Unger had a down year as a variety of combinations on either side of him failed. Essentially, they did enough at times for Marshawn Lynch to make yardage, but this had the feel of an experimental group with the coaches trying to luck into the right combination.

D
Legend
Legend
D
At 320+ lbs, can we just teach him to fall over and land on someone? Lol. Guess we are picking up all of Seattles o-linemen lol.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

J/C

Prior to the start of the regular season, a player can't go on IR without clearing waivers.

I believe that he can .... but that he cannot be replaced on the roster unless he goes through waivers first.

In other words, a team would be down to an 89 man roster if they put a player on IR without putting them on waivers first.

I recall that from the Carey situation.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
That was my recollection as well.

Legend
Legend
As much as people have made fun of you for the "slight" exaggeration ...... I do think that this could be a solid move by Farmer.

This kid started 9 games for the Seahawks last year, including a playoff game. He was supposedly the favorite to start at RT for the Seahawks before he got hurt. He sounds like a very good, mauling type RG candidate, who has good enough feet to also play RT, once he gets healthy. The Browns will likely keep him through the final roster, then slide him onto the IR ..... making him ours for next year.

I think that it could wind up being a shrewd move at that.

As a side note ..... we grabbed this kid, and signed McQuistan. We love us some Seahawk linemen.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Legend
Legend
C
What are the odds McQuistan doesn't make the team?

Legend
Legend
Not sure. He was getting a few 1st team reps at RG, from one report I read.

However, one thing seems certain ..... we will have very good depth along the OL.

On advantage McQuistan has is that he can play almost anywhere on the OL,which is valuable for a game day active, backup OL.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I see where you might not be excited Vers.

Still we stole another starting OL from the superbowl champs for cheap. Even if the sits for 6 months to a year its a very cheap gamble and a shrewd pick up that shows he is paying close attention to other team's rosters.

We now have two OL from one of the best running games in the NFL and superbowl champs. Even if its only a depth move you gotta love it =)

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Not sure. He was getting a few 1st team reps at RG, from one report I read.

However, one thing seems certain ..... we will have very good depth along the OL.

On advantage McQuistan has is that he can play almost anywhere on the OL,which is valuable for a game day active, backup OL.

I thought it was Gilkey and Greco with 1st team reps? They had a whole article on it. Anyways McQuisten is slowly being ousted from the depth chart. I wouldn't be surprised if he's only here a year for his versatility.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

As much as people have made fun of you for the "slight" exaggeration ...... I do think that this could be a solid move by Farmer.

I have an opinion, some disagreed. Happens all of the time. I defended my position, didn't think I was being particularly defensive though. I can't control how others respond to my opinions or my counter arguments.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Quote:

I have an opinion, some disagreed. Happens all of the time. I defended my position, didn't think I was being particularly defensive though. I can't control how others respond to my opinions or my counter arguments.

If nothing else, this shows that Farmer is paying attention and thinking in a forward manner. This may be a position of need- RG/RT - in the future, and he is covering his bases. As many have said, to get a starter from the SB champs cheaply is always a good gamble.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Mourgrym and Vers I think this is what Guard dawg is praising Farmer about:

The Super Bowl champs figure to be none-too-pleased by rookie Browns GM Ray Farmer's sniping of their 2014 starting right tackle, but Seattle GM John Schneider knew the risk of waiving Bowie injured as opposed to keeping him on the roster and placing Bowie on I.R. at final cuts. Bowie is an unlikely 2014 contributor due to a severe shoulder injury, but excelled in nine starts last season, particularly as a run blocker, and was just barely 22 years old.

He's young talented - Seahawks have been very proven in their prowess with late round picks. He started 9 games in a SB season including 1 playoff win - he hurt his shoulder which is a tough injury on OL. They were trying to hide him and waived him early - don't understand all the dynamics of the roster move. But the implication is that they are upset that Farmer stole him even if he spends the year on IR. He'll be 23 and hopefully fully healed in 2015.

I think its a good move. Low risk - High reward. He also played a lot of RT on a team sporting a QB who when JM was compared to as in what NFL QB will he be like...answer - Wilson.

Good move... Great move? only time will tell.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

It was a intelligent move.... a pick up that runs under the radar, costs us very little and in a year could pay big dividends. Graded out good, knows the ZBS, has been with a play off team ( and won), played more than on spot so has versatility.

This is not that much unlike the WR we snared from GB last year, took a year to see the field but now may pay off. Many that called it stupid a year ago are now seeing the upside... it can happen. Will it? who knows but worth the gamble.

If nothing lese it shows Farmer is not going to stand pat and will look to upgrade at every opportunity... some will work, some won't.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It's interesting that we have signed 5 OL since June.

What can that tell us?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
It can tell us we want depth along the OL. Something we have never had!

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

It's interesting that we have signed 5 OL since June.

What can that tell us?

I think we have (3) OL guys who are still unable to practice and I think McDonald and Bowie are destined to start the year on IR.

And very interesting indeed.

Last edited by WSU Willie; 08/04/14 10:10 AM.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk · 19m
Per source, Saints, Cowboys, Patriots also made waivers claim for Seahawks RT Michael Bowie, who was waived/injured. Browns had priority.

We weren't the only teams that wanted to waiver this guy.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/496296681496145920

Last edited by BpG; 08/04/14 10:26 AM.
Legend
Legend
I figured we weren't. Based on reports and articles, the kid had a good year last year ... especially as a rookie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
tab, I am not saying he is a bad player or that it wasn't worth picking him up. It just wasn't a "shrewd" move. You guys do understand how the waiver wire works, right? A guy is waived and teams can put a claim in on him. The team w/the worst record is then awarded that player. I imagine there were a few other teams who put a claim in on this guy, but we had the worst record.

Again, I am NOT bad-mouthing the move. I don't know anything about the kid and I bet that none of you ever really heard of him before yesterday. It's worth a shot.........I just don't agree that it was "another shrewd move by Farmer." Heck, what were his other shrewd moves?

And to take it a step further, this year we have guys saying that Farmer isn't going to stand pat and is taking every opportunity to improve the roster [and I am fine w/that comment] but last year those moves were criticized because Banner and Lombardi were "trying to build a roster from the bottom of the barrel." LOL...........it's absurd.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The part most in here do not seem to get is that this "type" of injury waives are regarded as "dirty claims". It's an unwritten rule to NOT claim them, but it's been done before a couple of times.

So, Bowie being waived here is not an indicator of his talents...

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
What is dirty about it? Teams have 90 man rosters in the off-season. If a team likes a player enough, they can find a spot on a 90 man roster for him... at least that's the way I see it. The Browns are under no obligation to follow an illogical unwritten "rule".

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

And to take it a step further, this year we have guys saying that Farmer isn't going to stand pat and is taking every opportunity to improve the roster [and I am fine w/that comment] but last year those moves were criticized because Banner and Lombardi were "trying to build a roster from the bottom of the barrel." LOL...........it's absurd.

That would be me and I take umbrage at the statement that last year I was critical of B / L making similiar moves.... wrong... I have always been and always will be ok with attempts to improve the roster, IMO if we can make a move to upgrade the 54th person on the roster, hell even a memeber of the practice squad, them I am all for it. I dont give a rats butt who the FO is , was or will be... just make the team better and win more than 5 games a year.

#gmstrong

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Not necessarily the same. I don't remember any time where Banner and Lombardi acquired players like this. The closest thing to it was trying to get Scott Tolzien and Charles Johnson, both of which elicited a large response that was overwhelmingly positive.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't say that YOU were one of the guys complaining last year. Sheesh. I used your comment for THIS year and even said I was fine w/that particular comment.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
ok - cool.

Its all good

#gmstrong

E
Legend
Legend
E
I know how waivers work...now also we are getting reports that other teams put in their bid for him as well. Understand we got waiver rights to him by pecking order.

The author of this thread chose to use the word Shrewd in its title. I wouldn't worry about the literal use of that word as in an attention getter title. Maybe "WISE" move could have been used. I thought it was a smart move, Sight unseen. Age, experience he got last season. The fact that BB wanted him as well as other teams Bodes well.

So if I had to use one word on this deal I would use "WISE" the author here used "Shrewd" what would you use? It shouldn't be that big of a deal. I know you took a lot of heat with Banner n crew. But Farmer has been pretty solid in his inaugural term as GM...I think between he and Pettine we got a winner crew, its made me forget about Banner n Co.

jmho The kid could be good depth and who knows maybe push Schwartz if he doesn't progress???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Michael Bowie, another shrewd move by Farmer

Link Copied to Clipboard