Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#900192 08/04/14 11:06 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

I am the one person who brought up how many catches they had. I did so because it is a fact. I did not say that proves how many they will catch this year. However, it sure beats people who just say I know this year's group is far superior to last year's group, or better at WR...check.

There are a couple of other factors one might consider. Burrleson and Austin were both unemployed. They have both been injured. Austin did not even have one visit other than the Browns during free agency. I also factored in where non biased publications had our receivers ranked. Austin and Burleson are also at an advanced age. Hawkins is a bit younger, but he is a slot guy. He is not the stretch the field type of player that you claimed. So, you may scoff at my interpretation of our WR position, but what did you provide to back-up your claim besides I know this group is better.

Look, I am not saying they can't be good, but at this point in time, it's a stretch. With that said, if Gordon wins his appeal, the entire dynamics change.

The 2012 Redskins didn't have a true #1 receiver at the time either, They wound up with multiple receivers with 500+ yards, and no one with over 700 yards. (IIRC) I will look up the exact stats in a bit)

They used a receiver by committee approach, as opposed to having a true #1.

*Edited to fix year

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 08/04/14 11:08 AM.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot

#browns dt Phil Taylor (hamstring) practicing for first time today in camp

In first offensive drill (no defense), #browns manziel took first-team reps

Legend
Legend
For anyone who went to the family day, did it appear like Hoyer had regressed/stayed the same/etc?

The first few days of camp he seemed very sharp

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

#browns dt Phil Taylor (hamstring) practicing for first time today in camp

Great news.

Quote:

In first offensive drill (no defense), #browns manziel took first-team reps

Iron sharpens iron, may the best man win. Go Browns!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Manziel has looked atrocious today, according to Twitter.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

lol well maybe we should try Connor Shaw with the 1's tomorrow then

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hopefully just a timing thing with the 1s or something.

I don't know, Im just trying to stay positive lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Josh Gordon practicing; Johnny Manziel working with first team - Cleveland Browns training camp quick hits

Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group

BEREA, Ohio - Quarterback Johnny Manziel is working with the first-team offense in practice Monday for the first time in Cleveland Browns training camp, and wide receiver Josh Gordon is here practicing.

Manziel took the first reps in the team period ahead of Brian Hoyer and launched a 40-yard pass to Travis Benjamin.

In his second team period, Manziel was picked off by safety Donte Whitner on a pass intended for Gordon. The ball was tipped by safety Jim Leonard.

Manziel apparently earned the promotion with an encouraging performance during Saturday's scrimmage at the University of Akron. During that session, Manziel threw well on the run, scrambled 9 yards for a first down and squeezed the ball into tight windows.

The Browns' first preseason game is Saturday night in Detroit.
Josh Gordon at 2014 Browns training camp Josh Gordon works out at the 2014 Browns training camp

Gordon's appeal continuing

Gordon's appeal hearing for his minimum one-year NFL substance-abuse suspension will resume this afternoon in New York City, and Gordon will participate by phone, a league source said.

The hearing lasted for almost 10 hours on Friday before arbitrator Harold Henderson decided to resume the session Monday.

Gordon missed Friday's practice and Saturday's Family Day scrimmage in Akron.

Gordon's legal advisors, including high-powered attorney Maurice Suh, are arguing that Gordon tested positive because of second-hand marijuana smoke and that he shouldn't be banned indefinitely because his test results were inconsistent.

Cameron sidelined

Pro Bowl tight end Jordan Cameron is not practicing Monday morning and instead riding the stationary bike off to the side. Cameron did not play after the first few series of Saturday's scrimmage at Akron's InfoCision Stadium because of a shoulder injury.

It was unclear how Cameron's injury occurred. He caught a short pass from Brian Hoyer on the first drive.

Taylor, Pinkston updates

Browns starting nose guard Phil Taylor participated in practice Monday morning as he continues his way back from a hamstring injury.

Offensive lineman Jason Pinkston is watching practice in a T-shirt and shorts. He has missed training camp practices because of a health issue that neither he nor the team has disclosed. web page

Legend
OP Online
Legend
In 2012, the Redskins had the following receivers as part of their corps:

Pierre Garcon ... who had947 yards as a high water mark in Indy ....but who didn't look like a superstar receiver. He looked like a solid guy ..... but didn't break out until 2013. In 2012, he led the team with only 633 yards and 4 TD catches.

Santana Moss .... who has had a solid career ..... with ups one year, and downs the next. He had 584 yards for the Redskins in 2011, and 573 with 8 TD catches in 2012.

Leonard Hankerson was their 3rd receiver on the yardage depth chart. He has been a journeyman, at best, thus far in his career. he had 543 yards and 3 TD in 2012.

Josh Morgan was the 4th of their "big 4". He had 510 yards and 3 TD catches.

The Redskins had a couple of 300+ yard receivers, a 200 yard receiver, and a few 100 yard receivers.

They spread the ball around all over the place.

Now let's look at our players.

If Gordon can play, then he completely obliterates anyone the 2012 Redskins could put on the field.

If not, then we have Miles Austin, who has been productive when healthy. Can we expect at least 600-700 yards out of him is healthy? I believe so.

Burleson has been up and down, with more downs lately. However, can he fill a role, in the WCO, as a receiver who knows how to run routes and catch the ball? I think that he can. Van he get to 500+ yards? Why can't he?

These 1st 2 guys need to stay healthy. That is the biggest challenge there.

We have Jordan Cameron at TE. The Redskins had Fred Davis. I think that Gordon can have a 1000 yard season. Davis had some 300 yards in 2012 for the Skins, IIRC. That is definitely a plus for the Browns.

The Browns have Andrew Hawkins. He is another guy who has to stay healthy. His last healthy year saw him gain over 500 yards.

We also have potential guys like Benjamin, Johnson, Snead, and a veteran like Armstrong, who has performed for Shanahan in the past.

We also have a strong RB corps. Tate has shown an ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. So did Obi, Lewis, and Baker. So far in camp, West has also shown an ability to catch the ball.

I feel that there is a group here who can equal the output of the 2012 Redskins. That team was a playoff team. The QB spot is the key for us. If we get solid play from under Center, I think that we'll have a solid year.

If we get Gordon back ... then this group blows away the 2012 Redskins, IMHO. Pushing everyone down a step ..... having Austin and Burleson sharing the #2 receiver spot, with Hawkins in the slot, would be a huge step up for this team. However, even if we don't get Gordon back .... I think that we'll be OK.

Also, remember that this past draft was deep at receiver There will be some veterans who will find themselves on the market as teams start setting their rosters. I think that we'll have the opportunity to add a receiver or 2 when other teams make cuts.

I am not saying that we will absolutely have the top receiving group in the NFL. We won't. However, playing in the WCO, I think that a competent and professional is also important. Guys who can run routes well, with proper depth and timing, are just as important as raw talent and speed. Gordon is the wildcard, because he can take the top off at any moment. Obviously he would make this a much better group. However, I don't think that we are destitute at this position is we don't get him back.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Well ..... there is this from Zac Jackson today ....

Ugh

Zac Jackson ;@FSOhioZJackson 11m
This momentum Manziel has or seems to have...part of it is Hoyer simply hasn't made the throws he was making 5-8 days ago. Not close.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The Browns' first preseason game is Saturday night in Detroit.

We'll be there on the 38 (I think). And we just got our Easy Pass tickets for Monday's practice. I am STOKED! Plus we were at the game yesterday when Murph tied it up in the 9th then Doctor Smooth hit the walk off. Is this a great week or what?!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ugh

This momentum Manziel has or seems to have...part of it is Hoyer simply hasn't made the throws he was making 5-8 days ago. Not close.

I pray this isn't true, but is it possible Hoyer has burned his arm out working so hard to get back? Maybe the dude needs a break.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
#Browns Pettine said Manziel reps with ones "part of plan," no reflection on Hoyer. Hoyer expected to start in Detroit, but not 100% certain

link

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Quote:

#Browns Pettine said Manziel reps with ones "part of plan," no reflection on Hoyer. Hoyer expected to start in Detroit, but not 100% certain

link

Preseason games is where we'll all get a clear indication of who will win this competition. Not much longer now... all will be revealed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well it looks like Monday the 11th may be a joint Cal / Saint camp report

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

lol well maybe we should try Connor Shaw with the 1's tomorrow then

Actually, I think we should give him some reps there.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Any news on Gipson?

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's a knee "sprain".

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Ugh

I pray this isn't true, but is it possible Hoyer has burned his arm out working so hard to get back? Maybe the dude needs a break.

or, maybe he's just trying to hard; pressing.

Or, maybe he's a flash-in-the-pan type player, and maybe this is why - based upon practices - the coaches had him behind Weeden? If he is the type that just runs hot & cold, then this might be "normal" (and less than ideal). We fans just don't know enough about Hoyer to tell.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nice. I look forward to reading your take on it. Enjoy!

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

It's a knee "sprain".

Knee sprain, and IIRC, I thought I read that he will be back mid week.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Well it looks like Monday the 11th may be a joint Cal / Saint camp report

Sounds like a winner!

Probably better than anything we've been reading from the media.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I thought this was a made up pile of crapola by Mary Kay:

Manziel apparently earned the promotion with an encouraging performance during Saturday's scrimmage at the University of Akron.

Really? I thought this was scheduled all along in the "Competition" that he would take reps with the 1's.

jmh recollection

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Quote:

I thought this was a made up pile of crapola by Mary Kay:

Manziel apparently earned the promotion with an encouraging performance during Saturday's scrimmage at the University of Akron.

Really? I thought this was scheduled all along in the "Competition" that he would take reps with the 1's.

jmh recollection

It is hard to say.

Pettine once said that Hoyer was way, way ahead of Manziel implying that Manziel had little chance to close the gap...... and now he implies that it is a more even competition.

It's hard to decode coach-speak sometimes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tab you have been around long enough ( way long ) to know that the local media here is a bunch chump change !

Legend
Legend
BEREA (92.3 The Fan) – Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon returned to practice Monday while the wait continues as to if he’ll be allowed to play in 2014.

No ruling is expected to come fro the arbitrator Monday.

Gordon missed Friday’s practice as well as the ‘Family Day’ scrimmage Saturday in Akron while he tended to his appeal of an indefinite suspension for a failed drug test earlier this year.

Gordon’s camouflage Porsche pulled into the players lot at just after 8:30 a.m. and he walked onto the practice field 50 minutes later.

“It’s always special to have Josh out there,” cornerback Joe Haden said. “When Josh is out there, it’s like LeBron came back. He’s a big, big part of our offense and a really, really special player.”

At 11:15 Gordon walked into the facility to take part via a conference call in the resumption of his hearing which ended just after 3 p.m. Gordon was in New York City on Friday for the beginning of the hearing which lasted a reported 10 hours.

“It’s part of the process,” head coach Mike Pettine said. “He left practice early to go in.”

The Browns were just happy to see Gordon back doing what he does best – catching passes.

“There are certain guys that the league needs to have on the field and he’s one of them,” receiver Nate Burleson said. “He’s one of the more premiere talents in the NFL, so I hope that he’s in a Browns jersey this year.”

Gordon led the NFL in receiving yardage with 1,646 yards en route to his first Pro Bowl appearance despite missing the first 2 games of the 2013 season. He was suspended for a failed drug test, which he attributed to codeine in prescribed cough syrup. He was also fined 4 game checks.

Gordon was pulled over on July 5 and arrested for DWI in Raleigh North Carolina before reportedly checking himself into a California rehab facility.

Upon Further Review – The offense was not shut out of the end zone during Saturday’s scrimmage in Akron.

Pettine said replay showed tight end Gary Barnidge did get 2 feet in for a TD on a throw from Johnny Manziel.

“We would’ve thrown the flag on the one Barnidge catch,” Pettine said. “And I think somebody had video from the stands that confirmed that he had two feet in when he caught the ball. That was pointed out to me by our offensive guys yesterday.”

Taylor Returns – Defensive tackle Phil Taylor practiced for the first time on Monday.

Taylor, who was recovering from a hamstring injury sustained during the conditioning test on July 25, missed the fist 7 practices of camp.

“Feels good to be back out there with my brothers,” Taylor said. “It sucks just watching but I got to do whatever I got to do to get back.”

As he works his way back into team drills this week, Taylor isn’t sure if he’ll be ready to play in the preseason opener Saturday at Detroit.

“We’re just taking it day by day,” Taylor said. “When Saturday gets here we’ll find out where I’m at.”

Nice Shoes – Johnny Manziel isn’t the only player flashing fancy cleats at camp this year.

Receiver Nate Burleson designed his own pair of Jordan Nike shoes using the shoe manufacturer’s online app and he showed off the pair he dubbed “24 carat gold.”

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/08/04...XvGG7Qk.twitter

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I wouldn't buy into it. According to one beat writer, Hoyer is the next best thing opposed to spread butter. According to a different beat writer, Manziel is. According to another, they both suck. LOL

Take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Pettine once said that Hoyer was way, way ahead of Manziel implying that Manziel had little chance to close the gap....

What I remember, is Coach was saying that JM would get reps with the 1st string in the competition, which would make it a better competition . I think all that is happening is this is coming true. No more or less. Unless JM falls flat on his face, this was the plan all along.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
When it comes to coaches talking about a QB competition, you can't take anything said to heart. We should all know that by now.

I can't tell you over the years how many emphatic declarations that X is the clear-cut starter resulted in the guy getting benched a week later.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
In don't debate that Pettine said that Manziel would get some reps. However, early on he had Hoyer way, way ahead, stating that Manziel would need a hugely impressive performance to close the gap ...... and all of a sudden they're in what seems to be a dead heat.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am beginning to think Hoyer better step it up or he wont even get a start in preseason. Hoyer has to give them a reason not to play Johny.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Moving away from the QBs .....

It seems like every time I see a run play with either Tate or West, it seems like they are exploding through for a big gain. Both look quick to the outside. Hopefully that is more a reflection on the ability of the 2 players and the OL, than on our defense.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, Buffalo's run defense was terrible last year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

At 11:15 Gordon walked into the facility to take part via a conference call in the resumption of his hearing which ended just after 3 p.m. Gordon was in New York City on Friday for the beginning of the hearing which lasted a reported 10 hours.

“It’s part of the process,” head coach Mike Pettine said. “He left practice early to go in.”

<<sigh>> This is not how you build a winning team. This is how you build a team that has a lot of talent and people say......"gee, they should have won more games," and then coaches get fired, FO's are overhauled, and the draft is a bigger topic than the playoffs.

Quote:

Upon Further Review – The offense was not shut out of the end zone during Saturday’s scrimmage in Akron.

Pettine said replay showed tight end Gary Barnidge did get 2 feet in for a TD on a throw from Johnny Manziel.

“We would’ve thrown the flag on the one Barnidge catch,” Pettine said. “And I think somebody had video from the stands that confirmed that he had two feet in when he caught the ball. That was pointed out to me by our offensive guys yesterday.”

That's just sad. The offense still got outscored by the defense.

I'm not liking the vibes I am getting from Berea.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I wouldn't buy into it. According to one beat writer, Hoyer is the next best thing opposed to spread butter. According to a different beat writer, Manziel is. According to another, they both suck. LOL

Take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Good point. That's why I can't wait to see for myself.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Browns training camp snapshot — Day 8

Lineup updates: Rookie cornerback Justin Gilbert, the eighth overall pick in this year’s draft, lined up opposite Pro Bowler Joe Haden as the first-team defense competed in a two-minute drill toward the end of practice. Gilbert had been playing behind Buster Skrine for the vast majority of training camp. “Whoever ends up winning the spot – it’s just so much good competition,” Haden said. “Justin Gilbert is playing really well. He has all the tools that you need to be a legitimate lock-down outside corner – tall, fast, strong, can play the ball really well. At the same time, Buster’s not slacking off.” ... With free safety Tashaun Gipson sitting out with a sprained left knee, Jordan Poyer and Jim Leonhard rotated in his place with the first-team defense. ... John Greco and Garrett Gilkey rotated at right guard with the first-team offense.

Highs and lows: On rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel’s first 11-on-11 rep with the starters, he completed a 40-yard pass to receiver Travis Benjamin on a deep crossing route over Haden. On Manziel’s next throw, Leonhard tipped the pass and strong safety Donte Whitner intercepted it. ... Undrafted rookie receiver Willie Snead caught a touchdown pass from undrafted rookie Connor Shaw over defensive back Darwin Cook in the back of the end zone. ... Snead also had a 71-yard touchdown on a catch-and-run from quarterback Brian Hoyer. ... Receiver Miles Austin caught what should have been a 60-yard touchdown pass from Hoyer in a seven-on-seven period, but Austin fumbled into the end zone and inadvertently kicked the ball out of bounds as he tried to recover. ... In two-minute drills, Manziel and the starters went three-and-out. Hoyer helped the second unit set up Billy Cundiff’s successful 36-yard field goal. Third-stringer Tyler Thigpen threw consecutive interceptions. Defensive backs T.J. Heath and Robert Nelson picked him off to end practice. The defense won a best-of-five contest as a result. Its prize is the right to wear orange jerseys Tuesday. ... According to the Browns, 3,307 fans attended practice.

Injuries: Pro Bowl tight end Jordan Cameron didn’t practice after suffering an injured shoulder Saturday during the Family Day scrimmage at the University of Akron. “It’s an AC [joint] issue with the shoulder, but it’s not anything,” coach Mike Pettine said. “If this were a game week, more than likely he would’ve gone. I’m still not sure – we haven’t made a decision yet for [the preseason game Saturday in] Detroit – but more than likely, we will air on the side of caution.” ... In addition to Gipson and Cameron, inside linebacker Tank Carder, offensive lineman Randall Harris (knee) and cornerback Isaiah Trufant (knee) did not practice. ... Inside linebacker Darius Eubanks (shoulder) and offensive tackle Martin Wallace (shoulder) returned to practice.

Tuesday’s schedule: Practice from 9:30 a.m.-12:10 p.m.

— Nate Ulrich

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns-training-camp-snapshot-day-8-1.510665

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Mourg seems to be right about Snead. The guy's name keeps coming up in positive remarks.

I wonder if the offense is going to start losing confidence considering they are getting their butts kicked daily. Man, TC rules favor the offense and they are still getting smoked.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First-team reps for Johnny Manziel don’t necessarily change status of QB battle

Vic Carucci
Senior Editor

It’s hardly a surprise that there was a little bit of a stir over the fact Johnny Manziel took all of the first-team snaps during the Cleveland Browns’ training-camp practice Monday.

Pretty much anything Johnny Football does can and usually will cause a commotion.
But despite some opinions to the contrary, this one doesn’t seem to make any significant statement about the status of the competition between Manziel and Brian Hoyer for the starting quarterback.

Mike Pettine was being straight with the media when he said that having Manziel take first-team reps was part of a plan established before camp rather than any sort of dramatic shift in his or the coaching staff’s perspective that Hoyer, who opened camp as the starter, has suddenly lost some ground.

Pettine did raise some eyebrows by saying that he was not ready to name a starter for Saturday’s preseason-opener at Detroit after saying last week that, barring unforeseen circumstances, Hoyer would likely start. The coach was quick to add that Hoyer still likely would end up starting, although anyone inclined to believe there is more to Manziel’s working with the starters than it simply being “part of the plan” could read plenty into Pettine’s hesitation to publicly lock Hoyer in as Saturday night’s starter.

My sense is that allowing Manziel to spend significant time with the starting offense is simply Pettine’s way of assuring that the competition is fair rather than an indication that Hoyer has fallen into disfavor with the head coach or offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan or any of the other decision-makers.

It’s reasonable to say that neither Hoyer nor Manziel has been spectacular through eight camp practices. Each has had his good moments and some pretty bad ones. The offense, in general, has generally struggled while the defense has mostly dominated.

But Hoyer has pretty much looked like, well, Hoyer. There isn’t much flash to his game. When he is performing at his best, he is efficient. He is smoothly taking the team in and out of the huddle. He is making solid decisions and completing the throws that he should complete.

You don’t see all that many jaw-dropping plays, because that isn’t what Hoyer does. And the coaches know that. They (and most of the rest of us) have operated on the premise that he is the most ready of the Browns’ quarterbacks to start the Sept. 7 regular-season opener at Pittsburgh because he is less likely to make the major mistakes that would undermine the team’s efforts to win with defense while running the ball effectively.
They look at Manziel differently, as most of the rest of us do. They expect him to make more difference-making plays, because that was his forte in college and that was what made him a first-round draft choice.

But, first, they needed to see him develop a better understanding of a new offense and everything else that goes with making the transition from a scheme that allowed him to be much more of a freelancer than he can be with the Browns – or pretty much any NFL team for that matter.

Manziel is showing that. In the last few practices, he has done a better job of reciting in the huddle plays that, for the most part, consist of far more words than those he called at Texas A&M. That is providing the coaches with greater trust to run the offense and show what he can do when surrounded by front-line players.

He still is unmistakably a rookie. He still attempts throws he shouldn’t attempt. And when he make throws on the move – which he tends to do whenever his first receiving option is unavailable – his mechanics sometimes suffer.

Hoyer is going to go back to working with the starters. He could obviously help his cause by making some eye-opening plays, but he probably will do the most to help himself by staying efficient – by looking like the guy who looks as if he would make the fewest mistakes when the season begins.

The main conclusion to draw from the latest Manziel stir is that the best word to use regarding the Browns’ quarterback competition is fair.

Link

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

You don’t see all that many jaw-dropping plays, because that isn’t what Hoyer does. And the coaches know that. They (and most of the rest of us) have operated on the premise that he is the most ready of the Browns’ quarterbacks to start the Sept. 7 regular-season opener at Pittsburgh because he is less likely to make the major mistakes that would undermine the team’s efforts to win with defense while running the ball effectively.
They look at Manziel differently, as most of the rest of us do. They expect him to make more difference-making plays, because that was his forte in college and that was what made him a first-round draft choice.

This is not the mid-80s or early 90s. It's a passing league. If what this shill says is true, then you better start Manziel. We don't have the talent that teams like Seattle and SF have. We aren't going to win that way. It's a passing league and we are going to need to make plays in the passing game.

Now, w/that said...............I saw Hoyer make plays last year, so I don't necessarily agree w/the shill's take. I will admit that I am a bit concerned w/Hoyer because he seems to be regressing in camp, but I was one of his biggest fans last year and I hope he can carry it over this year. But man, if he can't make plays......then we need to go w/Manziel, because our WR corps, minus Gordon, is freaking awful. We need a play making QB.

Legend
Legend
I worry that our offense is going to look like last year. Not a lot of flash and settle for too many FGs. I hope that's just my Browns pessimism shining through.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Camp Stuff Continued.......

Link Copied to Clipboard