Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

I am not an attorney, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Okay?

But, if others have mentioned - if it was a cut and dried decision, we'd know by now.

I have a feeling the nfl is thinking "okay, we've been challenged and we can't change the facts................how do we weasel out of this and save face?"

Maybe I'm way wrong

And further - IF Gordon gets a reprieve - he'd better toe the line to the max.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

As a lifelong Browns fan...I get so tired of Goodell thinking nothing of dumping on the Browns...

I seriously doubt that if Gordon were on the Patriots or Steelers, that a 16.0 ng/ml followed by a 13.6 ng/ml would been called a violation by Goodell.

The only way the Browns are going to get any respect from Roger Goodell is if Jimmy Haslam "demands it"...with the support of a majority of the owners in the NFL.

Goodell still works for the NFL owners...that is how a case such as Ray Rice's ends up being a slap on the hand for the Ravens and their owner, Steve Bisciotti.

The Browns franchise, with a weakened owner, facing his own legal issues, can't demand much from the NFL and he is unlikely to get much support from a majority of the owners.

Had Gordon been playing for the Patriots, Steelers or Ravens, (imo) we would not be talking about our star receiver being suspended.

You have been making some sense, but this post sets you back again.

This isn't something against the Browns. In actuality, I think the league is helping the Browns. Otherwise, Gordon would already be done for the year and there wouldn't be talk of a lesser deal.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Quote:

I honestly don't see any way that he gets nothing. As publicized as this has been, and with the other things like DUIs still floating out there, they have to give him something just to save face.

The MJ and the DUI are separate issues.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gordon have the MJ violation dropped because of the B sample then get a 4-8 game suspension for the DUI.

First time OVI under the new CBA is a one game suspension.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

j/c

I am not an attorney, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Okay?

But, if others have mentioned - if it was a cut and dried decision, we'd know by now.

I have a feeling the nfl is thinking "okay, we've been challenged and we can't change the facts................how do we weasel out of this and save face?"

Maybe I'm way wrong

I think you're right. My take is that the NFL has to be cautious in how they proceed because there's an ostrich egg coming at their faces and they're unable to move. They're going to take as long as they can to construct something they find isn't palpable to anybody. They're probably asking political pollsters to conduct focus groups on how to proceed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good to hear. But...

What is an OVI? I am not familiar with that abbreviation.
Are we sure that this is his 1st OVI?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When I read your post, I misread that you were quoting Arch. I thought you were quoting yourself and replying "I think your right". Thought I would share because when I realized my mistake it made me chuckle a little bit.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I want to know how they need so much time to decide. There was the charge, and then a lengthy appeal process. What gives?

IMO, they are desperately trying to cover their butts. Holmes of the Steelers was caught with possesion and admitted to smoking, and was let play anyway. Those who think the Rooney's have no clout are fools. Over the years they have used it. They had a player shoot a gun at a police helicopter and get off scott free. Lambert was coaxed into shooting a guys cow, those coaxing him were kidding, and amazed that he did it. He got no punishment.

I don't think he will get the full punishment, but, I do think Goodell wants to use him as an example to make himself look good.

I still believe the extended decision time is bogus/ JMHO

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

When I read your post, I misread that you were quoting Arch. I thought you were quoting yourself and replying "I think your right". Thought I would share because when I realized my mistake it made me chuckle a little bit.

Well, it would be odd for me to say that. Although... I do think I'm right... every time. I'm usually right about that.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

J/C

I want to know how they need so much time to decide. There was the charge, and then a lengthy appeal process. What gives?

IMO, they are desperately trying to cover their butts. Holmes of the Steelers was caught with possession and admitted to smoking, and was let play anyway. Those who think the Rooney's have no clout are fools. Over the years they have used it. They had a player shoot a gun at a police helicopter and get off scott free. Lambert was coaxed into shooting a guys cow, those coaxing him were kidding, and amazed that he did it. He got no punishment.

I don't think he will get the full punishment, but, I do think Goodell wants to use him as an example to make himself look good.

I still believe the extended decision time is bogus/ JMHO

I think that's almost universally thought of that way. The NFL is taking it's time tie the rope into a noose to slip around their own necks. Can you really blame them though? In their position, would you want to be eager about it?

I also think they need to slow down on trying to implement these fantastical ideas like 15-yd line XP kicks and moving the kickoff to the 50-yd line. Move the kickoff back to the 30-yd line (the 35-yd line experiment has been a disaster). These rules changes aren't making the game any better, just making it look like social experimentation on hamsters gone awry.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Good to hear. But...

OVI - operating a vehicle impaired. In many states, that's become the new "norm" for a charge, instead of DUI.....driving under the influence.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Good to hear. But...

OVI - operating a vehicle impaired. In many states, that's become the new "norm" for a charge, instead of DUI.....driving under the influence.

If he can weasel his way out of a drug test then a DUI/OVI is no problem. He'll pay some money, do some "community service" and get it down to reckless driving. That's what most people with his privilege do.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Peachy.

Do you guys hear what you are saying? <<sigh>>

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good to hear. But...

If he can weasel his way out of a drug test then a DUI/OVI is no problem. He'll pay some money, do some "community service" and get it down to reckless driving. That's what most people with his privilege do.

Eh, it all depends. Depends on what? Where did it happen, first of all. Who's the judge, secondly.

First time offender? It's not uncommon for them to get / plea to a lesser charge if it's in an urban setting.

Out in the country, where crime doesn't happen much, and you get a judge that wants to prove how tough he is? Different story,

First time offender - in a city/urban area? $5000 gets joe blow off the hook - in a similar situation I must add.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks. I don't understand why they keep changing what they call things. I think a lot of times, it's because someone is trying to justify some grant they received.

Regardless, even if Josh gets this down to reckless driving in the courts, the NFL can still treat it as an OVI.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Really? I did not read that in the section that someone linked here. Care to elaborate?

@Arch, not surprising that we have different views on the court, but since this is the "Pure Football" section I'll just bow out before we got on a 20 page tangent about the court system

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Aye. There's the problem then, laddie.

Maybe we can convince him to try Macanudos instead??

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The NFL has made it clear on multiple occasions in the past that the punishment they hand out is not directly linked to the decisions made in the courts.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Good to hear. But...

What is an OVI? I am not familiar with that abbreviation. ...

Lemme try. I'm great with these emoticons.
Lessee, Oddly Visual Information.
Ummm, Omnipotently Viscuous Infrastructure.
No? Officially Venereal Infection.
Ah, Oscillating Ventrical Infarction.
Hmm. Ostensibly Voracious Instigation.
How 'bouts, Ostentatiously Varangian Interiordecorator. (Must be a blonde)
Uh, Occasionally Vacationally Incontinent. (If in Mexico)
OK then. Ovarian Vasectomy Illiteracy. (Feminists only)
Olympic Vestigial Illustration (thems is no Greek statues from olden days).

Nothing? Sorry. That's all I could find in the Thesaurus.

Which reminds me. Is there another word for similie?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Similitude?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

The NFL has made it clear on multiple occasions in the past that the punishment they hand out is not directly linked to the decisions made in the courts.

Yes, but the NFL rules say that he wouldn't get suspended if he did have a DUI (The coming rules say he would though), I also believe there is no precedence for this type of suspension. I just don't see him being suspended for this.

Legend
Legend
How could you forget Obsequious Valentine Interactions?

A simile compares 2 things through a connecting work, like "Red as a rose"

A synonym is a word that has a similar meaning as another, Like mad, angry, irate, etc.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

How could you forget Obsequious Valentine Interactions?

Oh man! Your Thesaurus is bigger than mine.

I have, however, been Obsequious, Purple, and Clarevoyant, but that didn't win this particular Web ACRONYM contest. I yield to you.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Similitude?

That doesn't start with an "O", a "V", or an "I".

V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry, I was answering if there was another word for a simile. Not sure if my word was right or not anyway, so no big deal.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

A synonym is a word that has a similar meaning as another, Like mad, angry, irate, etc.

Can't fool me. Synonym is something you spread on toast with butter and sugar.

Like I was born yesterday ...

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Quote:

Sorry, I was answering if there was another word for a simile. Not sure if my word was right or not anyway, so no big deal.

You're cool, dude. I shouldn't type after 500 ml of White Zinfandel.

But I like your reply: simile / similitude. Might be more visual than conceptual in connotation, but in denotation you may be correct.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

So I read this post and think, that 1JohnnyG seems pretty cool

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

You're cool, dude. I shouldn't type after 500 ml of White Zinfandel.

But I like your reply: simile / similitude. Might be more visual than conceptual in connotation, but in denotation you may be correct.

Then I read this post and think, White zinfindel? What a P.A.G.A.N. (person against goodness and normalcy)

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

But to extend the time sort of a punishment for "APPEALING" then come up with the same results just a sham in my opinion.

I don't see how it's a sham.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that everything that has been reported (i.e. the A/B levels in Gordon's samples)...the NFL has a pretty big decision on its hands.

If they suspend Gordon for a year, they're going to catch hell in the media, mainly due to the proximity to the Rice suspension and the rapidly changing opinions on marijuana use.

If they let him off, there's going to be a bit of a firestorm there, as well. Maybe even some lawsuits.

I would take my time on this one if I were them.

As far as the length of the process...if you want to blame someone, blame Gordon, not the NFL. He's the one that put him/us in this situation.

If I had to guess, I'd say 8 games. It's a pretty safe middle ground for them.

I think that is fairly accurate.

I'm not sure exactly when Gordon failed the drug test but I believe it was some time right around the end of the season.. the Ray Rice video came out in mid February so probably about the same time, maybe a month later. Ray Rice got his wrapped up a couple weeks ago and he didn't appeal. Gordon's should be wrapped up this week or next and he did appeal.. so I don't see how the NFL is really dragging this out.

The only caveat to that is Goodell's comment recently about Gordon's punishment being part of the CBA.. if it's a rule that he has to stick with, then this should have been over long ago. The fact that it is dragging on leads me to believe that Goodell is at least considering doing something different than what the CBA calls for.

I could see anywhere from 6 to 10 games...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Well done sir. Well done.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So .... Johnny B Good .....?

Legend
Legend
now THAT was worth a good chuckle....

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think he will have a 2 game suspension, come back and destroy his knee of the first play of the game he comes back, then while doing rehab find out his career is over and he is addicted to pain killers.

Then Hoyer will also get injured. We will cut him and then he will go on to be a superbowl winning QB in Denver.

Isn't that how Browns luck translates it?

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think he will have a 2 game suspension, come back and destroy his knee of the first play of the game he comes back, then while doing rehab find out his career is over and he is addicted to pain killers.

Then Hoyer will also get injured. We will cut him and then he will go on to be a superbowl winning QB in Denver.

Isn't that how Browns luck translates it?

You forgot a subsequent staph infection

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Is there another word for Thesaurus?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
There certainly is!

It rhymes with "orange."

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Is there another word for Thesaurus?

Why are we talking about Jurassic Park?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good to hear. But...

I could have sworn that it was already stated that the charges were going to be changed and that he wasn't charged with a DUI/DWI/OVI.

Checking now.... he has a court date set for August 26th.

Case #1
Offense Code - Description - Statute
5405 - Traffic DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED - 20-138.1
9955 - Traffic CIVIL REVOCATION DR LIC (30) - 20-16.5

Case #2
Offense Code - Description - Statute
4450 - Infraction SPEEDING - 20-141(B)

I expect that the DWI will get plead down and he will pay fines on the others. This isn't a "famous athlete" thing, either... it's a common "I'm paying my lawyer a ton of money" thing. I know people that have gotten out of a half dozen DUI's that way... simply because their lawyer is buddies with the right judge(s). I would expect that his lawyer(s) will find a way to be friends with lots of the correct people down there.

It looks like his license is suspended now (automatic 30 day suspension), however, so hopefully he's being smarter about that. That said, a 30-day suspension in North Carolina holds no weight in Ohio if his license is an Ohio license. It just means he can't drive in North Carolina. At worst, he will lose his license for 6 months, but he'll have full driving privileges for work... the courts are easy that way.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I"m amused

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

There certainly is!

It rhymes with "orange."

I'd like to thank Eminem for rhyming Orange...

https://www.youtube.com/v/_kQBVneC30o

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum More Josh Gordon, I guess

Link Copied to Clipboard