Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#900864 08/05/14 03:11 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/05/us/pol...dies-at-73.html

James S. Brady, the White House press secretary who was wounded in an assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan and then became a symbol of the fight for gun control, championing tighter regulations from his wheelchair, died on Monday in Alexandria, Va. He was 73.

His family confirmed the death but did not specify a cause.

On the rainy afternoon of March 30, 1981, Mr. Brady was struck in a hail of bullets fired by John W. Hinckley Jr., a mentally troubled college dropout who had hoped that shooting the president would impress the actress Jodie Foster, on whom he had a fixation. Mr. Hinckley raised his handgun as Reagan stepped out of a hotel in Washington after giving a speech.

You can now R.I.P. Jim.

Pretty ironic how this man took a bullet helping to save the life of the republican president so loved and cherish now by the tea-party and conservatives. Then endured decades of being spat on by the NRA, the gun junkies, and the conservative leadership for the rest of his disabled life.

A
Legend
Legend
A
In other news: James Brady has died. Ex Secret Service agent James Brady, paralyzed by one John Hinckley Jr in a failed assassination attempt on a U.S. President, died today. He was paralyzed by a law breaking citizen while he, Mr. Brady, was only doing his job.

See? No party affiliations needed, right? What if Reagan had been a democrat? Would you still bring in party affiliation ?

The irony here is not that he was paralyzed protecting a republican president..........the irony is YOU feeling the need to note that.

I'm betting there are current Secret Service agents that don't agree with O, but they are trained to do one thing: Protect the president. And they would do that if needed.

James Brady, party affiliation doesn't matter, paralyzed trying to protect the president, party affiliation doesn't matter, died today. The fact that you, spiral, don't even mention Hinckley as being the shooter and placing blame on him speaks volumes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Really? Stir the political crap pot in a memorial thread?

My condolences to the family.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Rest in peace Mr. Brady.

Some of the statements being made about his death are truly sickening.

I want the Cleveland Browns to be my pallbearers so they can let me down for the last time.
Legend
Legend
I read this news at Politico earlier today.

If you really want to have your stomach turned by the inanity and insensitivity of your fellow US citizens, I invite you to read the messages in the sewe- er, "comment section" below the article.

Made me want to take a long, hot shower.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Pretty ironic how this man took a bullet helping to save the life of the republican president so loved and cherish now by the tea-party and conservatives. Then endured decades of being spat on by the NRA, the gun junkies, and the conservative leadership for the rest of his disabled life.

It's also ironic that someone who feels this way would use his death as political fodder.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Using his death for a political point is the #1 most appropriate thing to do since that's how he lived his life.

Completely appropriate post and all of the comments.

Lets not celebrate his death by encouraging censorship.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Who's encouraging censorship? Isn't it still within everyone's rights to be disgusted by other peoples' words?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I would like to see where he was spat upon.. disagreed with? Yes. But spat upon? (Figuratively)

Quote:

You don't celebrate death, you celebrate life.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would give you an answer, but frankly, your words have disgusted me.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Really? Stir the political crap pot in a memorial thread?

My condolences to the family.

Well it caught me off guard, I thought for sure it would become a gun thread, totally missed the political angle.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
It makes me sick how Hinkley has been getting "freedoms" back.

Thanks to the fact his family has money and can afford a different level of "justice".

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Yeah, they will probably prance him[Hinkly] out at the next DEM. convention to thongs of estatic cheering liberals an treat him like some reformed martyr for trying to kill 2 republicans , and use the narrative that he is reformed and will be used as the posterboy for gun contrlol ,that how nuts i think the libs are.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While showing that the right can be just as extreme.

I actually feel sorry for both the right and left for the extremes that people try to categorize as typical of either side. Nothing could be less accurate.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would like to see where he was spat upon.. disagreed with? Yes. But spat upon? (Figuratively)

Quote:

You don't celebrate death, you celebrate life.

Not all the time...

#GMSTRONG
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Actually I was just being factious or my slight attempt at humor, but after the SANDRA FLUKE madness at helping her to get laid at our expence was really an eye opener to rational people but embraced by the loony left media thats running this country . Please if you would opine for me something that nuts on any other political stage of that magnitide[DEM. NAT. CONVENTION] because I respect your opinion.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Also I should,ve added the standing ovation she got by the crowd of libs there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not even sure what you're talking about. If you wish to discuss true scandals by elected politicians, I'd be glad to oblige.

I know Rush tried to make a mountain out of a mole hill about this but there really was no smoking gun there.

People feel differently about birth control. I get that. But there's a lot of quacks out there on both sides of the aisle. Anyone who believes one party or the other has a monopoly on stupidity is sadly mistaken.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
And in the meantime, James Brady died. He wasn't a democrat, or a republican, he was a secret service agent that got shot doing his job. His job was protecting whoever was president......republican, democrat, or other. He did the job he was paid to do............he got paralyzed doing it.

Where does birth control come into this thread?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And in the meantime, James Brady died. He wasn't a democrat, or a republican, he was a secret service agent that got shot doing his job. His job was protecting whoever was president......republican, democrat, or other. He did the job he was paid to do............he got paralyzed doing it.

Actually, he was Reagan's Press Secretary, not a Secret Service agent, and he was a Republican ...... however the rest is valid.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If Hinkley's mom had used some, none of this would have happened.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I have no idea Arch. I wasn't the one who brought up the Sandra Fluke subject. As usual someone went off on a tangent along party lines that had zero to do with the thread title.

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Yeah, they will probably prance him[Hinkly] out at the next DEM. convention to thongs of estatic cheering liberals an treat him like some reformed martyr for trying to kill 2 republicans , and use the narrative that he is reformed and will be used as the posterboy for gun contrlol ,that how nuts i think the libs are.

1) Democrats aren't liberal.

2) The last GOP convention featured an old man yelling at a chair.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Which was actually a fairly creative way of arguing that Obama has been absent as President far too often ....... even if the end performance wasn't as polished as it could have been. (or even should have been)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Actually, he was Reagan's Press Secretary,

My bad.
Quote:

and he was a Republican ...... however the rest is valid.

I didn't term it very well. I should've said something along the lines of "who cares if he was a dem or a repub......"

Legend
Legend
Just clicking, I seem to remember that an elderly gentleman from Aurora Ohio was one of the people that tackled Hinkley.. Was I dreaming that?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Which was actually a fairly creative way of arguing that Obama has been absent as President far too often ....... even if the end performance wasn't as polished as it could have been. (or even should have been)

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just heard Brady's death was related to the wound suffered from the shooting, so it's now being considered a homicide.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just heard Brady's death was related to the wound suffered from the shooting, so it's now being considered a homicide.

Must be some political reasoning why they'd rule it that way. To keep Hinckley in jail?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Must be some political reasoning why they'd rule it that way. To keep Hinckley in jail?

Probably to make sure he never sees a free day again in his lifetime.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Probably to make sure he never sees a free day again in his lifetime.

That was my guess as well. Makes sense, but you always worry about setting weird precedents.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Is there going to be another trial? I don't think double jeapardy applies if the charges are elevated.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I can't remember the specifics; I'll try to find the article that explained the situation

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Is there going to be another trial? I don't think double jeapardy applies if the charges are elevated.

There's no statute of limitations on murder.

If it was indeed ruled that way, it's a back pocket way to charge him if he's ever freed.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Yup.... Figuratively. You got it. Why try to sugar coat the history of what his life was and what he became. He championed on the side of common sense gun control issues. He was hated for it by the NRA and many others on the right. I was pretty sure most everyone knew that.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

If the Dist. of Columbia has a stand your ground clause he's as good as free man now.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... James Brady dies at age 73

Link Copied to Clipboard