Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
'Rivera: Newton must be ready to go'

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/120328...ot-rushed-field

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton will return to the starting lineup Sunday against Cleveland only if he is able to protect himself, coach Ron Rivera said Monday.

Newton suffered two small fractures in his lower back last Tuesday when his truck rolled in a two-vehicle accident near Bank of America Stadium.

The injury is similar to what Dallas quarterback Tony Romo suffered earlier in the season in a Monday night game. Romo missed his next start, then returned the following week with the understanding there would be a certain amount of pain tolerance needed.

Newton did not play in Sunday's 19-17 victory over Tampa Bay. If he can't go against Cleveland, Derek Anderson will start against the team that cut him after the 2009 season.

"The biggest factor will be whether or not they tell me he can protect himself,'' Rivera said. "I don't want to put a guy out there if he can't protect himself. By that, [I mean] being able to run out of the way, scramble out of the way to stay alive, keep the play alive by being able to get out of the way.''

Rivera used the same criteria in deciding to hold Newton out in the opener against Tampa Bay. Newton was recovering from fractured ribs and offseason ankle surgery and wasn't 100 percent in his ability to run and avoid the rush.

Rivera wants to make a decision as soon as possible. He said that probably won't come until he sees how -- or if -- Newton is able to practice Wednesday.

Ideally, Rivera would like Newton to be a part of every practice. That Newton was limited in practice before the opener played a role in him not playing that week.

"Mastering what we do is hard,'' Rivera said. "Two weeks ago, it all came to fruition for us. The Saints game was the high-water mark for him this year.''

Newton completed 21-of-33 pass attempts for 226 yards and three touchdowns in a 41-10 victory at New Orleans. He also ran 12 times for 83 yards and a touchdown as Carolina amassed 497 total yards.

That the Panthers (5-8-1) remain in contention with New Orleans (5-8) and Atlanta (5-9) for the NFC South title will not factor into Rivera's decision on Newton any more than it would have had Carolina been out of the playoff picture.

"What we do is treat it like we do whether we are or aren't,'' Rivera said. "We're not giving anything up, win or lose. We're playing every week as if there's something really important on the line, like there is.

"Believe me, I don't do that.''

The Panthers received good news in that the hyperextended left knee outside linebacker Thomas Davis suffered Sunday was not serious. Rivera said Davis may be limited in practice early in the week, adding that he should be a full go by Friday.

Carolina also reinstated defensive end Frank Alexander, who was suspended for the first 14 games -- two separate suspensions, four and 10 games -- for violating the league's substance abuse policy. The Panthers were granted a roster exemption for Alexander, who Rivera called the most valuable player during training camp.

(end)

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It will really suck if Derek Anderson starts, does well, and Manziel has a bad game.

It will be very interesting to see how Manziel fairs these last couple of games. I wouldn't be surprised if they trade him when the season is over and get someone else in the draft. Just a feeling I have, even before he started his first game. I just don't think they care for his antics and attitude at times.

I REALLY hope Manziel lights it up. A couple of my Steeler fans/friends on Facebook are already foaming at the mouth from the last game. 'To be expected.'

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
It will really suck if Derek Anderson starts, does well, and Manziel has a bad game.

It will be very interesting to see how Manziel fairs these last couple of games. I wouldn't be surprised if they trade him when the season is over and get someone else in the draft. Just a feeling I have, even before he started his first game. I just don't think they care for his antics and attitude at times.

I REALLY hope Manziel lights it up. A couple of my Steeler fans/friends on Facebook are already foaming at the mouth from the last game. 'To be expected.'

hope cam starts. DA hasnt lost a game as starter this year!!!

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Our fall from the ranks of the possible will be complete with a loss to DA.

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

That wouldnt be funny

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Arps

That wouldnt be funny

I would seriously roll with laughter, lol!
It's just how Cleveland does things.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

That wouldnt be funny

It would be very funny to DA. I seem to remember him wanting to beat us after he was cut. For me it does not matter, this game is meaningless and we should probably lose out for draft position.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Doesn't matter, I don't have any hope for the offense.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
If DA "rolls" us, I'll puke.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don' think DA will roll us... I think it will be 24-21 2 seconds left on the clock game winning TD drive.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
I can't believe he is still in the league.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't think it matters which QB plays to be quite honest, but we probably have a better shot at winning with Derek Anderson behind center, just cause he isn't mobile like Newton. If we get the defense that played Indianapolis, we'll be in the game until the very end.

If we get the offense that showed up last Sunday in Cleveland (or didn't show up?) then it won't matter who their QB is. Ryan Lindley from the Cardinals would be able to beat us.

I'm not really worried about the Panthers, they're not very good, but then again these last few weeks, we have not been very good....

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Legend
Legend
When you suck as bad as we did, they pile it on. Everybody will be healed, will start, will play like PB, and we watch JM stink it up again perhaps. DA, Mr. Potato Cannon, can beat us with secondary leftovers.

Ye gods, but I hate to watch bad football. Only thing worse is scoreless bad football.

A terrifying thought I had: One movie that might be most horrifying for a Browns fan is Groundhog Day if it was last Sunday.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
Every game matters to me I am tired of having losing seasons, we have a shot at 8-8 9-7 and to me that shows progress I mean It sure beats 4-12

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm hearing that Carolina's defense has finally woken up and is playing well.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:
It sure beats 4-12

Amen.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Every game matters to me I am tired of having losing seasons, we have a shot at 8-8 9-7 and to me that shows progress I mean It sure beats 4-12

7-9 is progress too smile

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Will it be Cam Newton or xxxxxxxx?

Dr. Jeckle or Mr. Hyde?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
if the Browns want a .500 or winning season, they better do it this year. This was their chance. Next year the Browns face the NFC west and AFC West. Good luck with that.

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:

Dr. Jeckle or Mr. Hyde?

Wasn't that what the posters use to call DA back in the day?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Doesn't matter to me who starts...as long as we win.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: Army_Dawg
if the Browns want a .500 or winning season, they better do it this year. This was their chance. Next year the Browns face the NFC west and AFC West. Good luck with that.

I hope that the Browns don't need luck anymore and that they can utilize their skills now. We'll see. Here's hoping.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Every game we had pretty much came into our hands to win or lose.

Even this last embarrassing loss. This was the worst preparation I had seen well execution I have seen all year. JM's fault I think so - I tried to relay the importance of preparation when in discussion with Hoyer's Third win last year vs. Buffalo.

Also did we have a chance in preparation due to the changes in the play selections chosen for Manziel?

Jmho...all this Effort and time given I think is a load of JM bashing by the Bozos. I'm sure he worked hard all year. There never was a question or hint that he was not putting the time in by player nor coach. This is all a bunch of ASSumption thrown in from his statement on how much time he put in. Would not a first time starter burn the mid night oil before his FINAL EXAM. Maybe he needed to be a little more relaxed. Or as the Wise man in Green & Gold says. R-E-L-A-X wink

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
N
Legend
Legend
N
Originally Posted By: eotab

Also did we have a chance in preparation due to the changes in the play selections chosen for Manziel?

MMQB ran an article about the AFC North being the best division in the NFL and many of the blurbs were about this last Cinci game. The Bengals were looking at RGIII's and Manziels college tape. Had we simply kept the same offense we have been running, it would have been Cinci that was unprepared. Sigh.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Army_Dawg
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:

Dr. Jeckle or Mr. Hyde?

Wasn't that what the posters use to call DA back in the day?

Depends on which day. wink

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

That wouldnt be funny

It would be very funny to DA. I seem to remember him wanting to beat us after he was cut. For me it does not matter, this game is meaningless and we should probably lose out for draft position.

I remember him wanting to come back last year and play for Chud.. saying he felt he had unfinished business to do here...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
For me it does not matter, this game is meaningless and we should probably lose out for draft position.

That strategy has been very effective over the years. We always play for draft picks and it has led to such great success.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Back to the topic.

I wish we would have signed DA last year when Chud came here. He's matured and right now I think he gives Carolina a better opportunity to win than Cam does.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Vers,

You might be right that DA gives them a better chance to win on one specific, given day...

but over a season, or multiple seasons, I don't think DA does that for them.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/that.

Legend
Legend
Well this Sunday I'm glad it's DA.

We absolutely suck against mobile quarterbacks.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looking at the injuries and the way the team played against the BenGALS, they have already mailed it in on both sides of the ball. I just hope Johnny doesn't get killed in the process.

Legend
Legend
If the team plays like they did last Sunday it does not matter which one starts we will lose

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
If the team plays like they did last Sunday it does not matter which one starts we will lose

Quoted for truth!

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'd laugh my butt off and be happy for DA. The way he was treated like he was a scum bag while he was here, he deserves the opportunity to stomp us in the ground. His lack of touch and inaccuracy at the time were both fixable issues. I also thought that he was partially a victim of BE's constant drops as well. He has lasted longer in this league than both Frye and Quinn

The only reason the organization and fans didn't back him was because of a first round pick waiting in the winds and people were too hung up on that potential (sounds familiar).

Legend
Legend
I want DA to play. He's not mobile and not accurate when rattled. I have no faith in our O doing anything positive but I'd like to think our D was just off last week and didn't mail it in. If they did mail it in, we're screwed.

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: HewDawg
I'd laugh my butt off and be happy for DA. The way he was treated like he was a scum bag while he was here, he deserves the opportunity to stomp us in the ground. His lack of touch and inaccuracy at the time were both fixable issues. I also thought that he was partially a victim of BE's constant drops as well. He has lasted longer in this league than both Frye and Quinn

The only reason the organization and fans didn't back him was because of a first round pick waiting in the winds and people were too hung up on that potential (sounds familiar).

I backed him until he started to suck REALLY badly. He ended up being awful by the time the team let him go. I don't think most disliked him because Brady Quinn was on the bench, I think most disliked him because he wasn't a good QB. If a guy doesn't perform at a position, I want him replaced. I don't care what that guy's name is or where he was drafted.

E
Legend
Legend
E
DA has been given up on by more than one organization. I think DA will take pleasure in winning ANY game he starts. Maybe if the people who fired him are still around I can see a smidgen of revenge factor.

All I know is this. If we do not put extreme pressure on DA he could kill us. No I'm not worried about the Checkdown throw. Its that 10-25 yard range throw if he doesn't have to move from the pocket. Very Accurate!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
Legend
Legend
E

I feel the same way. If DA starts and wins, I'd feel happy for him. The Cleveland fans did not treat him well.

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

I feel the same way. If DA starts and wins, I'd feel happy for him. The Cleveland fans did not treat him well.

How did Cleveland fans not treat him well? Please don't say it's because they cheered when he was hurt since they were cheering for Quinn's entrance into the game and not the fact that Anderson was hurt. Other than that instance, I can't think of anything that can be perceived as poor treatment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Panthers 17 Will it be Cam Newton or Derek Anderson?

Link Copied to Clipboard