Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I'm not sure if this is suppose to go into the Johnny Manziel thread already being discussed or not, if it is than please move it over there refs!

I just wanted to get some opinions regarding what the contingency plan at the quarterback position is.

The way I kind of look at the situation is, this team has proven (for the most part) that they're ready to win now.

Brian Hoyer played average and managed games effectively for a majority of this season, and we were able to win games. Compared to the last six or seven seasons, we've actually got a lot of really young and good talent (Haden, Bitonio, Skrine, Gordon, Hawkins, Crowell, Robertson, Kirksey, West, ect) and a good mixture of veterans.

Is the front office going to view this as a "ready to win now" type of team because of the way Pettine and Hoyer raised the bar this season and exceeded expectations?

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is this organization ready to commit two or three seasons to Johnny Manziel to let him develop and let him get experience? Or do they want to continue winning now?

If Johnny Manziel shows improvement and has our team competitive these last two weeks, I don't think there will be any question that he'll get a full season as "the guy" next year, but what if he goes to Carolina and Baltimore and is just an absolute turd? The players, coaches and front office won't have much confidence going into the offseason...

Let's go ahead and assume that Brian Hoyer probably won't be back.

What do we do as a contingency if Manziel stinks it up against Carolina and Baltimore? Do we shrug it off, and ride with him all of next year to see if he improves? Or do we trade for a big named guy (Bradford, Cutler or someone like Mike Glennon) to compete with him? Do we trade him to Dallas, New York, or Houston? Do we draft another quarterback in April?

My personal opinion: I've been given a taste of winning. This team finally has competent talent, and for the most part competent coaching. I'm sick of watching the team lose. I want to win. If Johnny Manziel cannot show ANY signs of life or improvement these next two games, I'm all for going after someone like Bradford or Glennon to create competition for next season. I'm not even opposed to trying to bring back Hoyer (as I think a lot of his issues were mental). I don't like the idea of drafting another rookie though. It's a tough situation and I'm 100% aware that most rookie QB's need two or three seasons to fully develop and harness their physical and mental skills, I just can't grasp the idea of having to wait another season or two before we're going to win games again like we did this year.

What does everyone else think?

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Legend
Legend
I think that we will either stick with Manziel and try to re-sign Hoyer, or stick with Manziel and draft another guy in next year's draft. I don'r see us spending big on a guy with a massive injury history like Bradford. He has been seriously hurt over the course of his career. He has played 5 seasons, and has played 16, 10, 16, 7, and 0 games in his 5 year career. If it were just a talent issue, then he probably would never become a free agent.

Glennon is a big question mark. I really don't see any answers in free agency. We are going to have to develop our guy. Hopefully it's Manziel, but if not, then hopefully we get on track to find that guy.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
All Pro
All Pro
I think at this point the plan goes something like "Pay Hoyer a huge bucket of cash to sign..." if Manziel bombs. We've got a couple of more games before that grim meat hook of reality digs in deeply.

Hoyer can keep the team from completely stinking as long as everyone else stays healthy and does their part. That's about all I can say about him at this point. I don know I won't go completely nuts either way it goes with him.

I'm hoping Manziel can prove me wrong. I want to be wrong about him.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think the plan from the get go was rather simple.

sit JM and let him learn. People forget he is very young and has to learn NFL QB from the beginning.

Do we now deviate from the plan. Let him have this year under the belt and now he will be in his year two schooling - learning it on the field of play.

Or go back to needs to sit and learn. Sign Hoyer to start or another Bridge QB.

We can't be taking a lick of the lollipop and say...nope its no good and just throw it away...next lollipop.

All right now are judging Manziel from this first start. Is that who Manziel is...got news if it is then just throw it away and cut the losses.

I just think there truly is a lot more to JM than what we saw. Unless his ego is a lot more fragile than I thought and he is damaged goods mentally.

I'd like to get two or more flavors to savor before throwing away that lollipop.

For me. I liked what I saw in the Buffalo game. It was a simpler version of what Hoyer ran.

I of course threw up watching him in the Bengal game. Do we act like the Bozos who wish to laugh at us no matter what. We have a good team moving forward especially with a healthy Mack.

I hope we get to see JM in a relaxed environment and just play football. Not thinking just playing. Let the preparation take care of the thinking. JM worked hard. He didn't burn the mid night oil that a starter might. Quite frankly he looked better just working and getting thrown into the last 12 minutes of the Buffalo game. than he did burning the mid night oil trying to cram some whatever in. 1st game 15 games into the season. You have to break in your rookie QB...start off slow and add on. The formula hasn't changed.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I'm not sure sure Hoyer comes back next year unless we guarantee him the starting position, along with starter money. I don't see that happening.

Here's something kind of crazy I'd consider doing, but I'd need to give it more thought before saying it is something I would do. Washington is supposedly unhappy with RG3...offer up a 4th for RG3. Maybe add conditions like if he ends up in the pro bowl it goes to a 3rd. He has 1 year left on his rookie contract and it is at something like 3.5 or 4 million.

The guy succeeded under Shanahan, so maybe them back together will help bring him back to rookie form, or even better since the pressure of giving all of those picks for him is gone.

Best case scenario is that he plays lights out and we give up a 3rd for him and have the potential to sign him long term, or franchise him.

Worst case is that we have a relatively inexpensive backup for one year that is no worse than Hoyer. It gives us another 16 games to gauge Manziel's game, and maybe Johnny can learn from RG3. I'm not a fan of anyone in this year's QB draft (yet) class, so it buys us a year as well, if needed.

Legend
Legend
RG3 needs to go somewhere and sit and relearn to play QB, not start somewhere..

I think the only plan we can really go forward with is Johnny as the starter next year.

I wouldn't even have any real or fake QB competitions. Just let him learn as the guy, get all the first team reps, and live or die with what he does next year..

I hoesntly can't think of anything else that makes anymore sense than that, Bradford, Cutler, whoever have baggage you have to deal with as well..

I wish San Diego was terrible so we could trade for Rivers.. love that guy..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I would love to have Glennon on the roster but I don't see it happening. I don't think Tampa Bay is going to trade him.

I don't see the Browns signing a free agent QB either, not even Hoyer.

So, that leaves Manziel & Shaw as the only QBs on the roster heading into the draft. It would not surprise me to see the Browns drafting one sometime during the draft or bringing in another UDFA QB.

With 3 or 4 QBs going into training camp next year, I can see the Browns having an open competition for the starting job. Someone needs to WIN the job, not just be the least bad. If we finish poorly next season, I could hear the voices calling for Pettine's head to roll being heard loudly.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: eotab
I think the plan from the get go was rather simple.

Or go back to needs to sit and learn. Sign Hoyer to start or another Bridge QB.

Is that the Bridge QB you're looking for? rofl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with you ThatGuy. We simply have to finally stop the quarterback carousel NOW! Even if Johnny stinks it up the last 2 games, we have to give him real time to grow into the position. He was way farther away than we thought, but we have to stop and invest in this number 1 pick. Hoyer will be long gone by the way.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Did Texans sign Mallet to a long term contract? If not then he'll be a FA. Maybe that will be the Bridge.

Anarchy...lol nah but maybe a late round QB or TE or Marquis Gray guy? Oh who could catch a Bubble Screen then throw! wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't think there is a contingency plan (nor do I think there should be). They're moving forward with Manziel.

MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I just wonder how the front office is going to view things.

Haslam and Farmer saw what this team can do with moderate to average QB play (as we got 7 wins).

If Johnny Manziel is a turd these next two games, do they scrap the Manziel idea and explore other ideas?

Haslam doesn't seem like an owner with a lot of patients (As he fired Chud last year after one stinkin' season). Does he go get an experienced QB with upside to try and "WIN NOW"?

It's going to be interesting.

I'm crossing my fingers Manziel shows us something these last two games.

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
This team is definately ready to win now, imo. We have a lot of rookies that will be entering their second year next year, and Gordon (hopefully) will be able to play a whole season. This team needs the QB to perform just a tad about the average NFL QB, and they can win the division. Tough opponents next year, though. Seattle, Arizona, SF, Denver, KC, SD...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrKelso

Haslam doesn't seem like an owner with a lot of patients

I doubt he has any patients .... as I don't believe that he has a medical license. wink rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: MrKelso

Haslam doesn't seem like an owner with a lot of patients

I doubt he has any patients .... as I don't believe that he has a medical license. wink rofl

Happy Gilmore: I see what you're doing, and I don't like it.

MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
That's what I mean though, Haslam doesn't seem like the kind of guy whose going to invest a bunch of time into a project at QB, especially after this team has proven it can win games now.

Does he go out and trade picks to move up in the draft for Winston or Mariotta? (spelling).

Does he go trade for someone like Mike Glennon or Sam Bradford?

Does he pressure Farmer into throwing a bunch of money at Hoyer?

It's a tough situation to predict honestly.

It'll be even tougher if Manziel shows ZERO to LITTLE improvement these last two games of the season. Going into the offseason with a sour taste in their mouths could lead to drastic decisions is all I'm saying/am worried about.

Legend
Legend
The one Haslam/Manziel stroy we have leads most to believe he's the one that called for us to draft him...

Manziel has been a project this entire time. It's not news.

I honestly think we're locked into him for next year.. Barringly some ridiculous offer from someone else for him.. Or someone unexpected coming available..

Give him all the offseason, Camps, as the guy, 1st team reps and all.. See what he's got..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

Give him all the offseason, Camps, as the guy, 1st team reps and all.. See what he's got..

I'd still like to see him EARN the spot as being "The Guy", but that's probably far too much to hope for at this point.

Jeez, no wonder we perennially suck. It's the most important position on the team and nobody ever actually earns the job, they always get handed the job by default because someone ahead of them does just enough bad to force the issue or the guys behind him suck so much worse as to leave little choice.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

Plan for the worse. Hope for the best.

JM has to be given a full opportunity to succeed period. Three games is not enough to flush the guy or anoint him.

The key for Manziel will be this off season. Will he use the time wisely? Will he work on his body? Will he study the NFL? Will he commit himself totally to being the best player he can be?

Or, will he in his words. "not change who I am". Will he go on the party circuit?

No matter the Browns have to plan for the worst. I have stated very early on that the Browns should try to trade for Sam Bradford. He could be had for a third or maybe second rounder. If he checks out medically I would be prepared to use the lowest first rounder. ( negotiate the best deal but get him).

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I'd still like to see him EARN the spot as being "The Guy", but that's probably far too much to hope for at this point.

Jeez, no wonder we perennially suck. It's the most important position on the team and nobody ever actually earns the job, they always get handed the job by default because someone ahead of them does just enough bad to force the issue or the guys behind him suck so much worse as to leave little choice.

He "earned" the spot when we drafted him in the 1st round...

And honestly, who are you going to bring in that is going to actually be seen as any sort of competition? And I'm not even saying that because JF is great or anything.. There are very few options coming out this offseason..

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

This may sound crazy, but if Johnny Football plays as inept as he did last week for the remaining two games (regardless of whether people think it was the new offense implemented or not)...this team has two first rounders--make a move up to draft Mariota if you think he has what it takes to be an NFL QB. Now, you'd probably have to add more, like 2016 first, but don't wait if the play remains the same.

Make a move if a move is to be made. This team has good talent. It just needs a legit QB.

I guess the question is whether or not Mariota is worth it but that is a debate for another thread.

Tackles are tackles.
MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Bonefish I'm kind of board with you...

If Manziel is a turd these last two games and shows absolutely zero improvement, I would have zero problem making a move for someone like Sam Bradford.

He's shown A LOT of flashes in the pan of being a very good QB, he just keeps getting hurt...

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

This may sound crazy, but if Johnny Football plays as inept as he did last week for the remaining two games (regardless of whether people think it was the new offense implemented or not)...this team has two first rounders--make a move up to draft Mariota if you think he has what it takes to be an NFL QB. Now, you'd probably have to add more, like 2016 first, but don't wait if the play remains the same.

Make a move if a move is to be made. This team has good talent. It just needs a legit QB.

I guess the question is whether or not Mariota is worth it but that is a debate for another thread.

He can't possibly be that bad these next two games...it's just not possible and that's coming from a guy who doesn't think he's the answer and doesn't think we should waste time trying to "fix" him.

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
All Pro
All Pro
Hoyer is resigned
Manzeil is going to Dallas for a fifth rounder

Oakland trades the first pick in 2015 NFL draft to Cleveland for their 2 first rounders and next years first and Cleveland selects Marcus Mariota

Mariota starts day 1.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
j/c:

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if you turn out to be correct.

Legend
Legend

And honestly, who are you going to bring in that is going to actually be seen as any sort of competition? And I'm not even saying that because JF is great or anything.. There are very few options coming out this offseason..

No, he didn't earn anything when we drafted him... unless you're soft-minded and feel that regardless of whether or not he can do the job, he gets the job because he was a 1st rounder.

As for competition... after what I've seen, you could bring nearly in ANYBODY and they'd be a legitimate threat to his employment.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Millcreek Dawg
Hoyer is resigned
Manzeil is going to Dallas for a fifth rounder

Oakland trades the first pick in 2015 NFL draft to Cleveland for their 2 first rounders and next years first and Cleveland selects Marcus Mariota

Mariota starts day 1.

If Mariota survives the scrutiny of whether or not his skillset translates to an NFL offense and being a pocket passer, then I'd be completely ok with this approach.

While I generally agree that all we really need is a QB at this point, I temper that with stating that we need the skill players to know their job, too [I'm looking at you, "Flash" Gordon].

Browns is the Browns

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

As for the draft hopefuls. We must remember 8-8, 9-7 or 7-9 our pick will not be high. Bills pick even higher...those two picks and an EZ Pass will get us over the GW Bridge.

As for Mustering up something in trade to get one of the two. Forgedabouti - Titans n Tampa...more than likely will pick 1/2 and they ain't trading the picks away. So that leaves us with somebody that will be a risk. Well more risk than the first 2 QBs taken.

When was the last time anyone picked up a project another team gave up on and did well........ ummm Plunkett with Raiders? ummmmm Stabler with Raiders? hmmm there's a theme there.

I just cannot remember...Young with 49ers most recent? Those were all teams ready to win Championships...we are still finding our path.

So I doubt we pick somebody up...RG3 is maybe the only reclamation project out there.

Yeah a Hill or vet like that to help JM succeed. Yeah we should always draft a late round QB if our Scouts/GM/Coaches like the potential. If not let them be.

Our options best served will be to shore up and strengthen our depth. Continue the path. Not sure if Hoyer will get the offer he wants. Maybe back up here is better than other places.

We need to upgrade wherever possible it won't be as easy people think. I hope not QB cause then we are in a mess again.
JM is young very young. JM just turned 22, Wilson last years rookie sensation.
Stetson in another thread I was wrong. Wilson was 23/24 his rookie season 24/25 his SB year.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
We're likely to be picking between 14-20 depending on how these last two games go for us and Buffalo.

Those picks together are not worth the #1 overall pick, we would either have to throw in a 2nd and 4th round pick this year, or our 1st round pick next year (along with some later picks this year too).

Honestly, Jameis Winston has the skill set to be an NFL QB.

Florida State runs more of a pro-style/balanced spread offense, it's not all read option like Oregon. Jameis is a guy who has the pocket skills and the arm to be more of what we need right away. He just has those off the field maturity issues (sound familiar?).

If Farmer and Pettine were dead set on drafting a QB, I would hope the play is for Winston instead of Mariota. I think he helps us quicker than Mariota.

Legend
Legend

Let me first state I really like Mariota. He was my first choice last year until he declared.

With that stated no matter the outcome of the next two games you can not give up on Manziel after 3 games.

First off the Browns management team (Haslam included) drafted Manziel in the first round. I just don't see them turning around after that and selecting another quarterback in the first round. Ego and for that matter judgement will not allow that.

At the same time they can not put all their eggs in the Manziel basket. They have to have a Plan B.

Drafting another quarterback means trying to develop two young guys at the same time. That is hard to do.

At the position they are in they will have to get a guy who has played NFL games. The only FA quarterbacks that I would consider are Hoyer and Sanchez. Hoyer is gone. I don't see him accepting an offer from the Browns. And I doubt the Browns making him any legit offer.

Sanchez is no real answer and will most likely remain an Eagle. He has won games. Is still young at 28 but he lacks leadership qualities and remains inconsistent.

Door number three trade. I wouldn't take Cutler if they wanted a seventh rounder. Glennon was no answer for the team that drafted him. What could you expect from him?

Bradford is the guy they should target.

MrKelso Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Mike Glennon didn't get much of a fair shake.

He was a rookie last year and did fairly well considering the overall lack of talent Tampa Bay had.

This year he wasn't ever given a fair chance to start.

McCown was handed the job in free agency.

Glennon hasn't been terrible in the games they've played this year. A majority of the time he's had to make up for a bad offensive line, no running game and an inconsistent defense.

I'm not arguing that Glennon is a franchise guy or anything, but I still think he could have major upside if we were to make a trade for him to come in and be backup and or compete for the starting job.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well I see Hoyer leaving, I also see us looking for a starter to help Johnny through another year, Drew Brees is a FA and probably done in New Orleans, sign him and let him start I know it is a reach but Jimmy could make this happen ... JMHO thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Huh?

Drew Brees has two years left on his deal after this season....and even if he was a FA, dude would not be leaving NO.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I saw where he was listed as a FA and NO may have something to say about him staying ....

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
But he's not a FA and the team isn't gonna cut him and eat close to $15M in 2015 when the guy can play at a very high level.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Oh please, Oh please do not take Winston!! I could never root for that guy no matter how "good" he may be!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
j/c:

What you propose, Memphis, is bad news for the Browns if they listen to it.

This team obviously needs much more than a QB and that has to be solidified before the Browns even think about addressing the QB position again. Stop it already! Just stop it!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

No, he didn't earn anything when we drafted him... unless you're soft-minded and feel that regardless of whether or not he can do the job, he gets the job because he was a 1st rounder.

As for competition... after what I've seen, you could bring nearly in ANYBODY and they'd be a legitimate threat to his employment.

You're right on with this one PPE.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
If pressed, I'd send Manziel to Tampa Bay straight up for Glennon but I'd certainly try to get more from the deal.

Legend
Legend
We could do a psuedo swap with Houston.. Hoyer for Mallett nanner

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What is the contingency plan at quarterback beyond these next two games?

Link Copied to Clipboard