Page 1 of 2 1 2
#908739 12/28/14 05:36 PM
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
My thoughts are as follows:
1.) This team played overall better than I expected, except down the stretch.

2.) Joe Haden illustrated what it is like to "Play like a Brown" today. He was hurt. He was sick. The season is over. And, yet, he played to the final whistle, save a few plays. He could have easily packed in before the game today.

3.) We truly are only a QB and a few upgrades from being a very competitive team in the division and the NFL.

4.)I don't care how many or how few snaps John Manziel has played,he needs to go. His off-the-field antics and lack of respect for the coaches and the game of football show that he doesn't and won't ever get it.

5.) Gilbert and Gordon can go as well. I think it would be a refreshing change for the FO and the coaching staff to cut ties with these turds and just apologize for not drafting guys with better character.

6.) T West ran the ball well today. We should have stuck with the run a little more so that Shaw wasn't in the position to HAVE to throw so often.

7.) Offensive penalties kill us every single time that we need to respond to a drive with a drive of our own. Holding, false start, delay of game. This team is no where near good enough to continually spot the defense a free 5-10 yards.

8.) Benji should have made a catch on the long throw down the right sideline. However, the guy grabbed his arm and spun him sideways. A clear PI that would most definitely had been called if Skrine was on coverage.

9.) What do our KRs think they will acoomplish by bringing the ball out of the end zone, EVER? We started south of the 20 more often than not when they decided to bring it out to "make a play." How about the play you make is a knee and we start ON the 20???

10.) Now I have to root really hard for anyone who plays against the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals.

And, if this means anything, Mary Kay reports:

#browns owner Haslam said he's "absolutely" sticking with Pettine and GM farmer.

Mary Kay Twitter

Last edited by WVDawg54; 12/28/14 05:39 PM.

#gmstrong.
C
1st String
1st String
C
Glad it's over? That's about all I've got.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
If you're playing against the refs, you should hit them as hard as you're hitting your helmeted opponents.

Legend
Legend
Post game thoughts.

We need to draft a QB.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P

1.) This team played overall better than I expected, except down the stretch.

I Agree, We Are Still Trying To Learn How To Win In The 4th Qtr. [color] superconfused

2.) Joe Haden illustrated what it is like to "Play like a Brown" today. He was hurt. He was sick. The season is over. And, yet, he played to the final whistle, save a few plays. He could have easily packed in before the game today.

[color:#FFFFFF]Joe Haden Is A Pro's Pro
thumbsup

3.) We truly are only a QB and a few upgrades from being a very competitive team in the division and the NFL.

I Agree, With Alex Mack This OL Is As Good As Any But I would Draft Or Go Into FA After Another Tackle And OG cool

4.)I don't care how many or how few snaps John Manziel has played,he needs to go. His off-the-field antics and lack of respect for the coaches and the game of football show that he doesn't and won't ever get it.

I Agree, Call Jerry Jones And See How Bad He Wants Him smirk

5.) Gilbert and Gordon can go as well. I think it would be a refreshing change for the FO and the coaching staff to cut ties with these turds and just apologize for not drafting guys with better character.

Gordon Yes And I Think Some Team Would Anti Up A Good Deal But If Manziel and Gordon Are Gone I Think Gilbert Is Salvageable thumbsup

6.) T West ran the ball well today. We should have stuck with the run a little more so that Shaw wasn't in the position to HAVE to throw so often.

We Are Ok At RB But Maybe Look For Another Vet To Help With Our Youngins grin

7.) Offensive penalties kill us every single time that we need to respond to a drive with a drive of our own. Holding, false start, delay of game. This team is no where near good enough to continually spot the defense a free 5-10 yards.

I Agree, but that is on the Coaches as much as the players, its called discipline ooo

8.) Benji should have made a catch on the long throw down the right sideline. However, the guy grabbed his arm and spun him sideways. A clear PI that would most definitely had been called if Skrine was on coverage.

There were at least 6 game changing calls against the Browns, it seems this happens every game tsktsk

9.) What do our KRs think they will acoomplish by bringing the ball out of the end zone, EVER? We started south of the 20 more often than not when they decided to bring it out to "make a play." How about the play you make is a knee and we start ON the 20???

Crazy just crazy crazy

10.) Now I have to root really hard for anyone who plays against the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals.

Yep I hope they all lose there 1st game thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
S
Legend
Legend
S
Typical. Kinda what I expected.

Pettine's group played a spirited game, considering how limited they were.

I don't think the answer at QB is on this team right now. I'm not completely giving up on JM, but I'm not counting on him leading this team in 2015. If you want to bury him on this roster to see if he wakes up and develops? I will listen to that. I think Hoyer is a nice safety net, but is that what you want at QB? Our division produced 3 playoff teams, you aren't going to overcome that with a safety net at QB. All Hoyer did was rise you up from the depths of the 4-12/5-11 club to mediocrity. He's also almost 30 years old, he's not exactly going to get better.

I thought West played a nice game. Can this guy be a good soldier throughout, instead of having to be benched for not working hard enough or whatever reasons he was missing time.

It just felt like Baltimore was toying with us the whole game. The defense is on fire the whole first half. Second half the offense breaks through with a TD, and then all of a sudden Flacco decides to start playing. It's just as if they can flip on the switch. Should never happen in the NFL. When Ohio State plays a bad quarter early in the year against a lesser opponent, and then turns it on is the only time that kinda stuff should happen.

I don't want to say just draft a QB, but I think it should be at least considered. Don't force it. We need more than anything, good hard working, talented players on this team. We can't keep whiffing on these early picks. Especially with the contributions we are getting from guys drafted either late or not at all. If we hadn't swung and missed on so many first round picks, it might be us in the playoffs.

We need to get better. If they see an opportunity to find someone who can be someone they see as a great fit for the scheme, for the city, and who can handle the process which is not easy, then do it. I don't care if we just used a first round pick on a guy. This league is divided into teams that are the haves and have-nots, and a big part of that is QB play.

I am so glad this season is over. What an awful finish to such a promising start. That whole group should be ashamed of themselves. Take a look in the mirror this offseason, and come back in July BETTER.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Does Mary Kay have any good news to report?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
1. Shaw looked ok, especially for having his first game being the last game of the season and playing against a team that was playing for the playoffs.

2. Need WRs. Austin is hurt and a FA.

3. Felt that their were bad calls by refs, one, possibly 2 Interference calls against Balt.

4. T West played well.

5. Manziell and Gordon need to go. Not only have they played badly, but they are both off distractions to players that are trying to make a difference.

6. Need to draft sign/draft WRs.. LB.. OL. Picks are too low to get another QB. Too many other needs to package both 1st round picks for a QB.

7. Season over...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
M
Legend
Legend
M
- Shaw looked bad but it was his first start. Held the ball too long and thought he'd look to Cameron more often. However, he looked better than Johnny.

- Winn, Hughes had a nice game.

- Hawkins flashed another big play. I just imagine what his worth would be with a consistent offense and more WR weapons.

- Kruger had another good game. Impressed with his overall second half. Thank you for turning it around in 2014.

- Skrine got his two PI or DH. At least he is consistent.

- Haden had a good game for the most part.

- Overall defense played well. Robertson really has upped his game from last year.

- I don't understand all the runs behind the 3rd string Center. In all, I thought West played well. Probably because it was at home.

- Who was that guy that kept losing his helmet.

- I love how K'waun Williams plays the game. Very tough.

- Rich Gannon sucks as a commentator.

- The DJ Algerian guy that hacked this website this morning seems like a cool guy.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
she just tweeted that Haslam said Pett/Farmer will be back

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Still need a QB.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Still need a QB.

+1

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
All Pro
All Pro
7-9 would be better than expected for a first year squad.
But it is humiliating to keep sticking up for this team.
Especially after Mack goes down and you know what is coming next. Right when they are 7-4 and maybe start to feel good.
I mean how unlikely is it that the Browns revert to SUCKASS at this point? Silly me.

I am proud of some of the things I saw this season. But still got to see way too much of the familiar collapses that keep me SO DAMN ANGRY!

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Put JM at 3rd string and let him rot there until his contract is up, another team pays a good offer for him or gets a clue on what he needs to do in the NFL.

Defense played good until the 4th, then fell apart. Shaw is not the answer, but he at least got points on the board(something JM could not do).

Disappointing season, another late season meltdown. If we can get a QB and a few more upgrades combined with all the injuries returning, there might be hope for this team.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
[quote=WVDawg54]My thoughts are as follows:

i agree about manziel and Gordon. Get what you can for them even a 4-5 round pick . Keep Gilbert one more season, unless someone makes a good deal. say 2nd or third round

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I agree with most of these points but here are my thoughts on what need to take place this off season and into the draft, may be a long list of tasks but whatever.

1. Cut or try to get something for Manziel, Gordon, and Gilbert. Something needs to be done about these types of guys on the team. They're completely irresponsible and have a "me" first attitude and would rather be smoking or drinking instead of helping out the team. Right now they are cancers to the locker room and are bad for team morale.
This is a man's game and not for self centered boys.

2. Resign Brian Hoyer. He's the type of player that you want on your team and is a model individual. Also resign Miles Austin for next season for depth. When he played he showed good effort and actually looked like he gave a damn.

3. Draft 2 offensive lineman, get a stud wide receiver and others who have a work hard attitude who want to be hear and win games. Also need to get a CB since I believe Gilbert is already a bust of a draft pick. It wouldn't hurt to actually draft a darn FB and use him in the run game like designed, perhaps even in the I-formation, which Shanahan doesn't seem to know about.

4. Love the season that Kruger had for us this year. We can also add him to the list of people who played like Browns.

5. Either have Mingo step up his ability or get someone who can take over for him and shift him to 2nd string depth because he clearly does not look like a starter out there.

6. Please draft mean linebackers because I don't think I've ever seen one on the Browns before. Someone who is very good and people on the opposing offense fear. Sort of like Suggs or someone who knows how to hit hard. And of course we still need to keep Dansby, love that guy's effort. Also we need to keep Soloman, and a few others guys who were playing hard and will be good depth in the future.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Shaw looked better than Johnny Rotten to say the least. I'm not sure why anyone would say the kid looked bad. Sure he missed some throws, but he also made some plays. At least he didn't looked like a scared rabbit running around out there. Personally, I think Shaw showed more upside than Johnny. I would cut the media circus myself but I'm not the GM. Knowing what they know about Johnny, I doubt any of the vets will ever respect him.

Gordon sure is f'cking up, what an idiot.

Gilbert, seems like another schmuck. Interesting that the Vets picked him out giving some indication they think he might be salvagable.

Overall Clowns showed improvement. Would have been interesting to see how it all played out if Mack, Dansby, and Gipson don't go down.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Frankly, I don't have the patience to put of with this defiant little punk for as long as it will take for him to develop. Not to mention, his style of play for me is not one that will lend to a long career anyway.

The fact that he has only played 7 quarters, looked completely lost and later admitted that he wasn't prepared? If there is a scenario where you pull the plug on a kid after 7 quarters, this is it.

I'm done with this kid. I never saw the upside, don't think his style of play translates to this league (and especially our division) and his attitude and complete line of B.S. seals the deal for me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Glad I missed the game. And it wasn't like I didn't know how it would wind up.
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me. Ugh.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Still need a QB.

+1

Ship Gordon off for anything too.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

Our d played very well for the most part.

Connor showed some ability. Keep in mind, he's our third string qb, playing with basically a week's worth of reps, and he made John be forgotten.

We got a better game today than I was expecting - a better game from us, that is.

John needs to hit the films, the playbook, and TRULY realize this isn't college. That, or ship him off. First off season jackwad move - he should be gone.

Same with Gordon.

Gilbert? Figure it out soon son, it's the nfl, and we all know what that stands for.

Solomon, while not making many plays - guy plays with a motor - in a good way.

Haden was haden - and you could tell he was hurting a bit.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Shaw showed more poise than JF did... about all I got.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There's always next year....

W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
Happy birthday, SuperBrown!! We definitely missed your commentary today. Here's to hoping for next year!! Happy New Year, my friend!!

#gmstrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Post game thoughts?
We played our way to about the 14th pick in the draft. Buffalo out played us giving us the 20th, give or take a couple.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I missed that ... yeah, Happy Birthday!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What a bunch of loser CLOWNS. Different year same ol loser result. Team folds every year down the stretch. Have we ever won a game in December? Everyone thinks we'll find a QB eventually LOL. You trust in a guy who selects Johnny football and bust Gilbert in the first round? I don't! Some things will never change! Clowns will always be clowns!

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Post game thoughts?
We played our way to about the 14th pick in the draft. Buffalo out played us giving us the 20th, give or take a couple.

At least we don't have #22 rofl

M
Legend
Legend
M
Are the mock drafts up yet?

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gilbert will be fine.

most people on this board wanted Robertson cut last year.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think most people wanted Robertson unseated as a starter last year, not cut. He was and still is a good special teamer.

Roberston has surprised me with his play this year, but I still put Kirksey right up there with him. Robertson is a ERFA so he'll be back and the two will most likely battle for full time ownership of the ILB alongside Dansby as they split many snaps this year.

Tackles are tackles.
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Very encouraged to see players still playing, even with "nothing to play for." I think that speaks well of Pettine, as do the fines and suspensions for guys who aren't getting it.

Shaw had a lot of poise. I think he could become a good backup QB.

God, I hate the Ravens.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
This team came to play today kudo's to Pettine and Coaching staff thumbsup

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Post game thoughts?

At least we don't have #22 rofl

We'll trade down for #22. wink

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Shaw showed what an inexperienced guy with limited time to prepare can do if they put forth 100% effort. e made Manzeil look like a waste of a pick. I would waive Manzeil tomorrow, the kid is a self centered ass wipe.

Hawkins dropped another pass right in his hand that would extend a drive. I like the guy, but it has been like four weeks in a row that this has happened. Then he makes a great play.

Benjamin got grabbed and spun on that sideline pass, it was troubling that no ref decided to throw a flag, when usually it only takes a bump. While I'm talking about the refs, why would it be so hard to throw a flag on the Ravens Oline when everybody in the stadium saw him move and the whole defense pointed it out, yet, it took a long pause for a flag to fly.

After the three and out where Benji got grabbed, I told my buddy, watch, their first play will be a 30 yard run. First play, 29 yard run. This defense does this routinely when we blow a lead. That series sealed the win for Baltimore.

I like to know how a practice squad player starts at nosetackle, and is more effective than the two guys who are starters that are injured. Also, the value of Hughes was seen today in the run defense early in the game.

Many love Cameron, but I saw him dogging it the way many feel Gordon does this week and last week. I would not give this oft injured player a big contract. Besides his big play last week, he has done squat all year.

My thoughts were that the team gave a great effort against a team with a lot to lose. We have many starers injured, and played with practice squad players in critical positions on both sides of the ball and were very competitive. Those who hate on Pettine should see that he does have control and is a great leader for these players. I see a long future here for him.

A team picked to be the worst in the league made a early playoff run, and was overtaken by way too many injuries. I was mad the past couple weeks, but the way they played today shows much promise. 7-9 is better than most expected, and we should be happy with it.

If I'm Farmer, I trade Gordon for anything I can get. I doubt highly the kid makes it thru an offseason clean. Then I go down the hall and tell Manzeil to pack his bags. I was all for giving him a chance, along with Gordon, but this weekend showed me neither gives a crap. Cut ties now and move on. Johnnies complete lack of respect for the coaches and teammates is inexcusable.

Thank you Mr. Haslam for confirming to the players and the team that nothing will change. This staff did wonders with a lightly talented team. They made starters out of UDFAs, and were not afraid f benching marquee players. They are showing accontability, and demanding it from the players. I am already excited to see what happens in year two of the system. I truly believe we are a couple players away from being a very good team. With a solid base of young players, now is the time to add the FAs that put you over the top.

We need to resign Hoyer and either draft the best guy, or find a quality FA QB. The position is killing us.

#gmstrong
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
You say Manziel should be gone the first offseason screwup? Well, how about after you embarrass yourself, prove to everyone you haven't been working, admit as much and put up one of the worst QB ratings in NFL history …. you throw a frat party and snooze through the next day's workout? I would like to know which Browns attended that party. I sorta doubt Joe T, Whitner, Dansby and Haden stopped by.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
When OTAs begin, they should put Manzeil at the bottom of the list, and make him earn a roster spot. If he even once toes the line in a negative way, dump him. Shaw showed today that by being prepared and working hard even with limited skills you can produce. I I'm Manzeil, I would be totally embarrassed to show my face in town. He was outplayed by a guy who had zero snaps, even on the scout team, and less than a week of Prep.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: WVDawg54
Happy birthday, SuperBrown!! We definitely missed your commentary today. Here's to hoping for next year!! Happy New Year, my friend!!

Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I missed that ... yeah, Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the birthday wishes WV and YTown!...:)

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
JM will probably be given a shot next year ( not necessarily as the starter), as will Gilbert. Gordon needs to go.

These players may be the dumbest people I have ever heard of. Haslam and Farmer have nobody to blame but themselves regarding Manziel and Gilbert.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I was impressed with the effort the team put forth given the circumstances. The team played hard. Kudos to the players and coaching staff.

Time for Pettine and Farmer to cut bait with those not on board. Haslam needs to support them 100%.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season Looking Back: Ravens 20 - Browns 10 Post Game Thoughts, Anyone?

Link Copied to Clipboard